• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

ACE 1991

xenorevlis said:
The second screen I posted is from GOWII. Look at Kratos' model and just know that the rest of the game (enemies, environs, set pieces, etc.) had a similar overhaul and the HD makes even more evident. Jump into the second game as soon as you finish the first and see what you think :D

Ah wtf, here:

Can't tell a huge difference, to be honest. That's okay though because GoW 1 already looks fantastic in 720p.... I'm very impressed at how well the textures hold up.

-PXG-

I'm going through GoW withdrawal. I can't wait to fire up my PS3 and finish Pandora's Temple.

Katana_Strikes said:
WTH?

Did the GoWIII code not come with all copies of this game or something?

Mine didn't have one in.

WTH?

I read, either on Amazon or GameStop's website, that only a few out of the first shipment actually came with the demo. It was designed to be a "limited time offer" sort of thing.

Hey, District 9 Blu-Ray is going to come with the demo too.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thankfully, I had a GoW 3 code. I don't know why they wouldn't include it with all the collection games though, limited time is bullshit considering they're not losing anything by giving it away (that and District 9 has it but the prequel to the game doesn't?!). Sigh, though well and truly, they should have included it on the fucking disc. There had to be more than enough room on there for a 2gb demo :p

Aru

Roxas said:
Wait, there's supposed to be a GoWIII demo code inside? FUUUUUUU there's nothing in mine!

Pretty much everyone on GAF got the demo thanks to some people who made dummy accounts.

Anyone have a spare demo code for 3? I've never played a God of War game and if the sequel is anything like the previous games then I want to try it out.

Now unless there is a demo for the collection itself, please? PM me

MidnightScott said:
Anyone have a spare demo code for 3? I've never played a God of War game and if the sequel is anything like the previous games then I want to try it out.

Now unless there is a demo for the collection itself, please? PM me
Its $40 or less for both dude, just get it. If you like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry even just a little bit you shouldn't miss out on this.

Completed God of War I on Normal today. Man, what an experience. I believe that
Ares
is the toughest last boss I've encountered in a video game. I tell you what, though, when I completed the game it was very satisfying. I started on God of War II, and am a bit through it.

Just beat God of War 1. I had a little nostalgia for the Prince of Persia: Sand of Time era of video games. Maybe it it is the texture work or the shiny floors. I had a blast with the game. The game was a breeze with the way I leveled my equipment and abilities, and then they took it away for the final boss fight. That took me forever.

I think I'm saving GoWII for Thanksgiving. I'm pretty pumped as this is my first time playing a God of War game, save a few false starts with God of War I in the past.

Wow just started this today...
There is such a visual impact to having God of War 1/2 in 1080p 60 FPS.

Its incredible how much of an improvement there is or perhaps how well the original PS2 games were so that they scale up nicely?

Regardless, I am impressed.

lastinline said:
Ares
is the toughest last boss I've encountered in a video game. I tell you what, though, when I completed the game it was very satisfying. I started on God of War II, and am a bit through it.

This is the only game I own where I can't beat the last boss on Normal. I have to put him on easy, I just can't kill him on that first encounter.

Anyways just finished the first game again. Managed 80% of the trophies. Pissd I didn't quite get the "Seeing Red" trophy where you upgrade all your weapons etc to full. I was like 2000 something short of doing it and pretty much got every box and killed most baddies I'm sure.

I won't ever Platinum, which is a shame, I just can't do the Challenge of the Gods. I can't even beat the first task, so I have no chance. I'm really shit at those for some reason.

Got the Hades Column trophy without taking damage. Can't believe how easy that one is actually. If you get caught, you just have to restart cheeckpoint so only took me a few attempts. Pleased it's not the second column you have to get as well though, as that one is much tougher.

Oh and I should also add, I never even thought of the game as a PS2 game when I was playing. I got stuck in and it felt just like a PS3 game. Obviously not the best looker, but compared to some games out there, not the worst either. All the more impressive when you consider it is a PS2 game.

Roxas

Liquidus said:
Anyone else having trouble attaining trophies?

So far the Sirens and 100 hit combo trophies failed to register even though I did both over 6 times:(

Regarding the sirens, did you kill the group of them after the 3 in the desert?

ACE 1991

Katana_Strikes said:
This is the only game I own where I can't beat the last boss on Normal. I have to put him on easy, I just can't kill him on that first encounter.

Anyways just finished the first game again. Managed 80% of the trophies. Pissd I didn't quite get the "Seeing Red" trophy where you upgrade all your weapons etc to full. I was like 2000 something short of doing it and pretty much got every box and killed most baddies I'm sure.

I won't ever Platinum, which is a shame, I just can't do the Challenge of the Gods. I can't even beat the first task, so I have no chance. I'm really shit at those for some reason.

Got the Hades Column trophy without taking damage. Can't believe how easy that one is actually. If you get caught, you just have to restart cheeckpoint so only took me a few attempts. Pleased it's not the second column you have to get as well though, as that one is much tougher.

Oh and I should also add, I never even thought of the game as a PS2 game when I was playing. I got stuck in and it felt just like a PS3 game. Obviously not the best looker, but compared to some games out there, not the worst either. All the more impressive when you consider it is a PS2 game.

For sure. I expected to take this game with a grain of salt, and enjoy it as is, having never played the first two game's when they were originally released. They hold up remarkably well, and I'm enjoying them as much as I did Uncharted 2. The visuals in GoW 1/2 really are impressive, the scale and art direction is simply superb in HD.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can't play this during the day because I don't play violent games around my kids. Driving me crazy. Reading this thread for vicarious enjoyment.

ACE 1991

jvm said:
Can't play this during the day because I don't play violent games around my kids. Driving me crazy. Reading this thread for vicarious enjoyment.

My 12 year old sister walked in during the sex minigame from the first one :lol

Synless

I picked this up yesterday and I can't believe how a resolution bump and some AA can make a game look fucking amazing!!! I wish the Metriod trilogy package was like this....That said I did my part now release FFX-XII, Ico, SotC, Onimusha, DMC, Pretty much everything in HD and I'll buy it.

fernoca

Been playing this since release, love it. Had the original first game, but never finished and never played (fully) the sequel; only a demo. So I'm going to finish the first one, before jumping into number 2...no problems with my Slim unit, neither; on and got the demo voucher (can't wait!)...

Anyway, from what I've seen and even been told the demo just came with a limited (but high) number of copies; which is why a few places promoted it as a "preorder extra" since preorder were (nearly)guaranteed to have a demo voucher inside, but everyone else wasn't.

Also, all this talk about Team Ico collection..any one have a suggestion for an actual name to it, that may also be easy to sell to people in general? Because "Team ICO Collection " or "Ueda Masterpieces" is not going to caught many people attention.. :p .. outside this forum.

Started the 2nd one. Graphics are a nice step up. Just up to the steeds of time. A very inpressive level on the PS2, can't wait to step across those chains. One of my fave moments. The view...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
fernoca said:
Also, all this talk about Team Ico collection..any one have a suggestion for an actual name to it, that may also be easy to sell to people in general? Because "Team ICO Collection " or "Ueda Masterpieces" is not going to caught many people attention.. :p .. outside this forum.

a name for SOTC and Ico remake to sell ? easy

slap big " COD " on the box cover
that for Chronicles of Dormin but you don't want this on the cover
, and people will think it's Call of Duty , and that like a million copy first day just by a misleading title.

In preparation of GoW3 I planned on playing both GoW1 and 2 since I had never finished them. I beat GoW1 for the first time a few months ago and a few days later the collection was announced, bad timing! Last month I had a cousin visiting me from the Philippines and I saw him play through the majority of GoW2. I even had to play the portions of the game that he couldn't beat for himself, bad timing again!

Oh well, I bought the collection and I will go through GoW1 and 2 again anyway because they're great.

ACE 1991

Totobeni said:

, and people will think it's Call of Duty , and that like a million copy first day just by a misleading title.

:lol Such a good call.

kikanny

Totobeni said:

LOL. Its just sad that games like COD sells so much more than masterpieces like SOTC and Ico. I guess its applicable to all forms of entertainment. Twilight getting so much money or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga being a big hit. Its just really sad.

lastinline said:
Ares

I hear ya. I remember when I originally played it on the PS2, I couldn't do it. I let a friend beat it for me just so I could see the ending. I did eventually beat him a year or two later when I replayed the game though.

I'm kind of dreading it right now. Hopefully he wont kick my ass too much.

Majmun

Been playing GOW 1 since yesterday. Haven't had any freezing issues on my 60GB Ps3.

The first level looked pretty bad. I was quite disappointed. But the game looks quite good after the first ship level.

I'm now at
The Pandora's Box temple
and the game is still very fun to play.

Aru

Second said:
Been playing GOW 1 since yesterday. Haven't had any freezing issues on my 60GB Ps3.

The first level looked pretty bad. I was quite disappointed. But the game looks quite good after the first ship level.

I'm now at
The Pandora's Box temple
and the game is still very fun to play.

Well, it's sad because I remember that level being one of the most impressive ones on the PS2 version back at the time :(

kikanny said:
LOL. Its just sad that games like COD sells so much more than masterpieces like SOTC and Ico. I guess its applicable to all forms of entertainment. Twilight getting so much money or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga being a big hit. Its just really sad.
Take that back. She's one of the few legitimate pop stars that currently exist, in the way that people used to be pop stars. She writes her own material, she appreciates and bows to classic pop iconography (Bowie! Bolan! Madonna! Lennox!) and she is fully influencing popular music.

If anything, she's like God Of War. Takes an existing formula, adds awesome and legitimately fresh new features, does it better than anybody else, is a success because of it.

*ahem*

Eric WK

whatevermort said:
Take that back. She's one of the few legitimate pop stars that currently exist, in the way that people used to be pop stars. She writes her own material, she appreciates and bows to classic pop iconography (Bowie! Bolan! Madonna! Lennox!) and she is fully influencing popular music.

If anything, she's like God Of War. Takes an existing formula, adds awesome and legitimately fresh new features, does it better than anybody else, is a success because of it.

*ahem*

Go back to #it.

The menus look cheap, there's no new options and the cutscenes are movies of the PS2 game, but... these games stand up incredibly well. They're just really fun, hilariously violent action romps.

MoxManiac

kikanny said:

I don't see why it's sad. CoD: MW2 (which is a fantastic game, btw) just appeals to a wider base of people, and has better advertising behind it.

I have 3 trophies left for the first one:

1. Seeing Red: Jesus christ, I can't believe I had some 2000 orbs left! Fucking hell, am I pissed! :mad:

2. Challenge of the Gods: I got to the 8th challenge and holy fucking shit, they just keep on spawning!!! I swear for 20 minutes straight (thats the max I've gone to) I kept of beating the shit out of them all. After 2 hours of trying I got frustrated and decided tgo quit and will continue again... What I did NOT know is that once you quit, it starts all the way from the fucking beginning!! UGHH!!!! :mad:

3. Finishing the game in 5 hours. Just fucking impossible. I'll try it on easy and just run like crazy in my next playthrough! :lol

That said, Since I made it to Challenge # 8, If anyone need tips for the previous challenges, I'll gladly post them here.

ACE 1991

whatevermort said:

*ahem*

God of War Collection: Official Thread of Disco Sticks and Blades of Chaos

krae_man

Man mashing R2 is a pain in the ass. You think Sony could have changed the the button we have to mash.

Analog triggers are not meant for mashing.

krae_man said:
Man mashing R2 is a pain in the ass. You think Sony could have changed the the button we have to mash.

Analog triggers are not meant for mashing.
They probably had the PS3 triggers in mind when they made God of War II.

krae_man

shagg_187 said:
I have 3 trophies left for the first one:

1. Seeing Red: Jesus christ, I can't believe I had some 2000 orbs left! Fucking hell, am I pissed! :mad:

2. Challenge of the Gods: I got to the 8th challenge and holy fucking shit, they just keep on spawning!!! I swear for 20 minutes straight (thats the max I've gone to) I kept of beating the shit out of them all. After 2 hours of trying I got frustrated and decided tgo quit and will continue again... What I did NOT know is that once you quit, it starts all the way from the fucking beginning!! UGHH!!!! :mad:

3. Finishing the game in 5 hours. Just fucking impossible. I'll try it on easy and just run like crazy in my next playthrough! :lol

That said, Since I made it to Challenge # 8, If anyone need tips for the previous challenges, I'll gladly post them here.

All the trophies are easily doable. I did them all on the PS2 and I suck at these types of games(I never block and always play on easy).

Dont ask me how I can beat the challanges of the Gods when I suck so much.

-PXG-

Just beat God of War 1. Holy fucking shit. And people say the second one is more epic. How did they top that? O____o Fucking EPIC!

Question: why did the cutscene with
Poseidon when he gives you his rage attack
look cleaned up when all the others were still low-res? Was that one pre-rendered and the nasty ones in-game?

Synless

I missed one gorgon eye in the first part of the game and I'm to far to start over, if I start a new game after I beat it does the stuff carry over? Or am I screwed?

MrPliskin

Banned
Synless said:
I missed one gorgon eye in the first part of the game and I'm to far to start over, if I start a new game after I beat it does the stuff carry over? Or am I screwed?

You don't actually have to get all of them, you just have to get a certain amount. I missed a few and still got it.

If you beat it though, and haven't gotten it, then you've missed quite a few gorgon eye's.

Top Bottom