• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
-PXG- said:
Just beat God of War 1. Holy fucking shit. And people say the second one is more epic. How did they top that? O____o Fucking EPIC!

GoW II is indeed more epic than the original. The storyline is arguably a tad weaker, but otherwise GoW II improves on the original in every way. Just wait 'til you get to play the intro level to GoW II. That shit's more epic than most final boss fights in other games are :lol

jax (old)

Banned
Just ordered 2 copies today (plus demonsouls) - one is for a mates birthday so I gotta say, can't wait for this. I've only ever played GOW:COO... That said, all the games I think play the same so I'm not sure how this is going to play out when the final retail for God3 shows up.

impressions shortly. :D

ConradCervantes said:
Question: why did the cutscene with
Poseidon when he gives you his rage attack
look cleaned up when all the others were still low-res? Was that one pre-rendered and the nasty ones in-game?

Yeah there are 3 kind of cutscenes

1. Simple ones: Uses the current HD engine
2. In-game cutscenes with people talking and all that jazz: cutscenes rendered using the PS2 engine and not recreated
3. Proper CGI cutscenes

That said, anyone that wants to get the "Seeing Red" trophy, do exactly as told: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lL9SLBzR60

This glitch still works.

-PXG-

Combichristoffersen said:
GoW II is indeed more epic than the original. The storyline is arguably a tad weaker, but otherwise GoW II improves on the original in every way. Just wait 'til you get to play the intro level to GoW II. That shit's more epic than most final boss fights in other games are :lol

Oh, I played it. Awesome. Did the sex mini-game too. :lol I finished playing the GoW 3 demo for like the fourth time. Is the final game going to run in 60 FPS? I hope so.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Beat GOW1 today and started the Challenge of the Gods a.k.a "fuck you player you're going to so frustrated and yet you'll be stuck on the last challenge for hours but you wont quit because you're a trophy whore".

Man that last challenge is a beast.

Struct09

Combichristoffersen said:

217498941_UNH3Z-L-2.jpg

master15

Okay, a little bit embarrassed to say I've never played the GOW games and this seems like perfect opportunity.

Anything I should know before hand?

master15 said:
Okay, a little bit embarrassed to say I've never played the GOW games and this seems like perfect opportunity.

Thats why I bought this collection. I sold my PS2 well before the GOW games came out so I am really looking forward to this.

Pakkidis

master15 said:

Your about to play some of the best games ever. Thats all you need to know.

Liquidus said:
Beat GOW1 today and started the Challenge of the Gods a.k.a "fuck you player you're going to so frustrated and yet you'll be stuck on the last challenge for hours but you wont quit because you're a trophy whore".

Man that last challenge is a beast.

Remember: You quit, you start all over again from the beginning!!

stolin

I just finished the game and got my Platinum Trophy.. ~ 3:30 (second playthrough) using a bonus costume.

The resolution bump made it nice & sharp and the art still holds up but it's the 60FPS framerate that I like the most. It's just pleasing to see & feel the fluidity.

Now GOW2.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
-PXG- said:
Just beat God of War 1. Holy fucking shit. And people say the second one is more epic. How did they top that? O____o Fucking EPIC!
scale imo. gow2 is more epic because the scale is so much larger. that and the gameplay is much tighter.

to me uncharted 1 to uncharted 2 is about the same level of improvement as god of war 1 to 2. it's like they are trying to perfect something almost perfect. god of war 3 should be nothing less than amazing.

jvm

Gamasutra.
stolin said:
The resolution bump made it nice & sharp and the art still holds up but it's the 60FPS framerate that I like the most. It's just pleasing to see & feel the fluidity.
At first I read fluidity and nudity. Heh.

Beq

Neo Member
shagg_187 said:
Yeah there are 3 kind of cutscenes

1. Simple ones: Uses the current HD engine
2. In-game cutscenes with people talking and all that jazz: cutscenes rendered using the PS2 engine and not recreated
3. Proper CGI cutscenes

That said, anyone that wants to get the "Seeing Red" trophy, do exactly as told: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lL9SLBzR60

This glitch still works.

Man, I wish I knew about that trick yesterday when I beat GoW1.. I am not really up to playing through most of the game again just for a trophy.

krae_man

You dont have to worry about not getting every Gorgon eye, or feather. Their are more chests that hold each then you need to max them out.

After you've collected 18 of each, the rest of the chests that contain them become red orb chests. I've just saved the oricle and I already have 13 gorgon eyes.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I totally forgot how much boobage was in GOWII. :lol
Beat em both and it was fuck awesome. Had a couple of audio sync/volume issues in gow2 though where Kratos' voice would go very very low as opposed to other characters in the conversation or surroundings.

fernoca

Hmm..regarding the "spiked column/no damage in Hades" trophy...How do I obtain it?
I beat The Challenge of Hades, passed the rotating saws thing, without taking damage...was that it? I didn't obtain any trophy for that.. :(

Oneself

Kaako said:
Had a couple of audio sync/volume issues in gow2 though where Kratos' voice would go very very low as opposed to other characters in the conversation or surroundings.

Here too... quite a weird glitch in fact.

ShortBus

fernoca said:
Hmm..regarding the "spiked column/no damage in Hades" trophy...How do I obtain it?
I beat The Challenge of Hades, passed the rotating saws thing, without taking damage...was that it? I didn't obtain any trophy for that.. :(

The trophy is supposed to pop up after the first column. Sounds like a trophy glitch. :/

To those wanting to max everything out,use the Dairy Bastard costume.
You'll be pulling off many 600-700 hit combos AND it doubles the value of orbs. You'll probably be using him for your Speed Run anyways... Why use an infinite orb glitch when you'll be maxing everything halfway through your Speed Run?

fernoca said:

Are you sure this is the section you are talking about? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taxxvNqmTu8#t=2m41s

From 2:41 to 3:12. If you clear this without getting damage, you unlock the trophy.

ShortBus said:
To those wanting to max everything out,use the Dairy Bastard costume.
You'll be pulling off many 600-700 hit combos AND it doubles the value of orbs. You'll probably be using him for your Speed Run anyways... Why use an infinite orb glitch when you'll be maxing everything halfway through your Speed Run?

Nice! So Dairy Bastard is the best costume? If so, I'll be using it tomorrow!

Oh and I finally completed The Challenge of Gods! Challenge 8 was the hardest with Challenge 10 being most frustrating. Word of advice for anyone completing: Save the Rage of the Gods for the last challenge. I'll post tips for every challenge completion tomorrow if needed.

ShortBus

shagg_187 said:
Nice! So Dairy Bastard is the best costume? If so, I'll be using it tomorrow!

Yep. Infinite magic.
Max out Poseidon's Rage ASAP and you're good to go. Spam that SOB and work up a huge combo, use evade/roll to keep the hit counter going.

No need to open a single chest,just ignore 'em.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Got my very first Platinum with God of War. :D I'm both miffed and incredibly grateful that there's no trophy for God Mode. While I like to be motivated to take that challenge, I already beat it on the PS2 and don't have nearly as much time to devote to games anymore as I did back then. The game looks amazing... even today. It's really a testament to its quality.

I think I'll play something else in the meantime and go back to complete GoWII a little closer to GoW3's release. Complete the entire trilogy all in a row.

Erebus

I received my copy today and since I've already played the GoW3 demo, the voucher has absolutely no use for me.

If anyone wants to try the demo, PM me and I'll promptly give you the code. ;)

Erebus

Ok that's funny and sad, both AndyD and JonStark PMed at the exact same moment.
AndyD's message shows up under JonStark's though, which practically means that AndyD deserves the code.

nmg8s4.jpg

There were others who PMed as well but sorry guys I only have one code :(

ACE 1991

Although I'm loving the first game so far, the fixed camera angles become a bother in smaller, tighter areas. Other than that, holy shit.

DarkUSS said:
Ok that's funny and sad, both AndyD and JonStark PMed at the exact same moment.
AndyD's message shows up under JonStark's though, which practically means that AndyD deserves the code.

nmg8s4.jpg

There were others who PMed as well but sorry guys I only have one code :(

No prob ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :lol

lunlunqq

DarkUSS said:
I received my copy today and since I've already played the GoW3 demo, the voucher has absolutely no use for me.

If anyone wants to try the demo, PM me and I'll promptly give you the code. ;)

give it to me plz!!!

edit: fucking too late... as always... i shouldn't have read this last page slowly... :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
tzare said:
is the demo in gow collection the same that was released a few days ago?
Yup!

Man, finished GOW yesterday on Hard. The end boss- specifically the second part- was one of the most frustrating experiences ever. But man it was worth it. :D

I forgot how awesome the story is for the first game. Truly a game of epicness.

Erebus

tzare said:
is the demo in gow collection the same that was released a few days ago?
Yes.

I'm actually surprised that so many people still haven't played the GoW3 demo here. I thought everyone had since there were huge lists on the GoW3 demo sharing thread a few weeks ago.

Looks like it'd have been wiser if I had created a dummy account for everyone. :(

Erebus

krae_man said:
I has dummy account I created to share the God of War 3 demo with my 1up peeps. I can share here too.
Do you want me to send you the names of the people who PMed me for the code?

Triz

Im having an issue with the game.
Im in the water section of god of war 1 after getting poseidons spear, going through the part where you have to dash to avoid getting squished by the moving wall. Once I reach the end of the hallway the game just hangs on a loading screen.
No matter how long it sits there. I can still access the xmb so its not a system hangup, but if I try to exit the game, it forces a hard reboot of the ps3. Tried about 5 times last night, really had me pissed off.

Just picked up the collection yesterday and am really impressed with how well part I holds up (apart from the in-game cutscenes). Such good games!

Tips for Challenge of the Gods. NOTE: DO NOT USE RAGE OF THE GODS FOR IT WILL NOT REGENERATE AGAIN. SAVE IT FOR THE LAST CHALLENGE AS YOU'LL NEED IT.

Everyone has their own way of finishing these challenges, but I'm going to explain the one I found the most effective. There are a total of 10 challenges:

Challenge 1: Knock 8 enemies off the platform before time runs out. Killing
an enemy will fail the challenge.

A short burst of Lance of the Furry (L1 + O) is enough to break the shields that the undead are carrying. Make sure that everyone's shield is broken before you continue the next step just to be on the safe side. Press O to grab onto the shieldless undead and press Square to toss the enemy. Make sure you toss them at enemies NOT carrying the shields. This will ensure both of them falling. If you toss them at enemies carrying shields then they will die, resulting in a failure. You can easily finish this challenge in 15 to 25 seconds.

Challenge 2: Kill all Archers and Undead Soldiers before time runs out.

The platforms are in a square formation so I'll be explaining in N/E/W/S directions. Ignore the harpies for they don't need to be killed to complete the challenge. Unleash the Army of the Hades as soon as the time starts. Make sure you beat the undead soldiers in the platform you are on while they are being attacked by the Army of the Hades. This will save time in the beginning and will also kill one of the archers up ahead. Move north, killing the archers on the smaller platforms. As soon as you reach the big platform, undead soldiers will spawn. Go to the center of the platform and unleash a fully charged Lance of the Fury (L1 + O). That will make them fall out of the platform. Make sure you do small rolls (right stick) to see if any undead soldier failed to fall out and just beat them out with light attacks (Square). Move West and continue the exact same tactic. Move South with the same tactic and now move East. Kill the archers on the small platforms and the challenge should be complete.

Challenge 3: Break all jars in the room before the time runs out.

There are two successful ways of finishing this:
1). Unleash a fully charged Lance of the Fury (L1 + O) to destroy the jars. Move around and do the same with the leftovers.
2). Using the Hermes Rush (Tapping R1) and going clockwise is also a good and easy way of destroying the jars. This is the method I found most successful and satisfying but Method 1 is also very effective.

Challenge 4: Kill 4 Minotaurs but none of the Undead Soldiers.

This one might take a few tries to pull off. Best thing to do is be patient since there is no timer. Don't use any amount of magic for this as it can kill the undead soldiers. Walk up to the Minotaurs and use Apollo's Ascension (L1 + X) to lift them off the ground, followed by combination of aerial attacks. A few hits should be enough to activate QTE. If the undead soldier is getting hit, make sure you stop hitting after a few seconds. Undead soldier's QTE might activate so it's best to stop hitting and evade the moment you see O flashing over the undead and wait for it to go away. If you accidentally grab onto the undead then just wait it off. If the Minotaur does not lose it's balance and can't be lifted, then continue hitting it when you're in the air as they are taller than the undead soldiers and the undead soldiers will not take the damage. Continue this on four Minotaurs and the challenge should be complete.

Challenge 5: Shoot all of the Undead Soldiers! Do not shoot the Human Soldiers.

This one has no timer so again, take your time. This challenge requires a little experiment to know when to pull back. The undead and human soldiers walk clockwise and at the same pace. The technique that I found effective was holding R2 in advance and pull back as soon as you see an undead soldier at around 1 o' Clock. There is a small crack at 1 o' Clock on the platform which should serve as a marker at where you need to start pulling back.

Challenge 6: Reach the center of the end platform before time runs out.

This one can be frustrating since you can fall quite easily and there is a timer, and will take a few tries. There are 8 moving platforms going left and right with archers on every alternate platform. The 9th and the last platform (your destination) will have 4 archers that spawn when you are halfway there. They shoot exploding arrows so it's best to block the ones shot by the 4 archers. If you see an exploding arrow buried in the platform that you are on, it's best to listen to the explosion countdown and jump before it explodes as it will throw you down.

Run for the first platform as soon as the challenge starts and double jump to the second one. The best technique is to use aerial Hermes Rush (R1) before you land since it will knock off the archer off the platform AND will ensure you land on the platform as it auto-locks you onto them. Wait for the 2nd platform to reach the left end stay to the right-edge of it so that you can see the next platform (should be in the middle). As soon as you see the next platform move, jump onto it and quickly jump onto the upcoming platform. While in air, use aerial Hermes Rush (R1) to knock off the next archer. The next two platforms will require the same technique. Jump onto the platform as soon as you see the opening followed by a jump and Hermes Rush (R1) to the 6th platform to knock off the last archer on moving plates.

The last two moving platforms require patience and ALOT of blocking. Jump to the 7th platform as soon as the 6th platform that you are on moves towards right. Wait on the 7th platform (AND BLOCK) until it moves all the way to the right as this is where the 8th platform is the slowest. Jump onto the 8th platform as soon as the 7th platform that you are standing on moves to the left. Double jump to the 9th and final platform to knock a few archers off and RUN TO THE CENTER OF THE PLATFORM. I REPEAT: RUN TO THE CENTER AND IGNORE THE ARCHERS. As soon as you hit the center of the platform, the challenge should be complete.

Challenge 7: Kill all of the enemies while not getting hit.

Ignore the timer for it will only make you more conscious about this one. I didn't know this round had a timer to begin with but it does. Focus on the small undead soldiers and ignore the Minotaurs for a while. Remember not to use Hercules combo (Square and Hold Square) for you can't Block and Parry while the enemy attacks. A single hit and you'll fail. Every attack can be blocked and parried except Minotaur's smash with blue wave. This can be avoiding by rolling (Right Stick). The best technique is run to the center of platform and use Lance of the Fury (L1 + O) as soon as the round starts. When the enemies fall, rush towards the undead and attack them with Light Attacks (Square).

As soon as you see an undead attacking you (a blue ray of light will flash from their sword), block. At times, two undead soldiers will attack you so don't start attacking until they are both blocked. As soon as you're done blocking, let go of the block button and press Square to ensure that Parry is put to good use. If you do NOT let go of block, it can result in Cyclone of Chaos (L1 + Square) which has a very high probability of them attacking you while you're showing off your moves resulting in failure. Keep using this and all the undead soldiers should be dead. For the Minotaurs, evade and go to the opposite side of the platform. Use Medusa's Gaze to turn them to stone and smash them after a few hits.

Challenge 8: Kill all the enemies.

I found this challenge to be the most hardest, longest (can last to 10 to 15 minutes depending on how you play) and frustrating of them all. I tried everything from avoiding Medusa's Gaze by rolling and waiting for it to stop, to a mix of heavy and light attacks. Others might say that rolling is the best technique but it might NOT work as you will lose alot of health. Again, there is no timer. The best technique is to use Lance of the Fury (L1 + O) AND ONLY LANCE OF THE FURY for it will ensure that the undead soldiers AND Medusas fall back, preventing Medusa's Gaze to turn you to stone. Anything else will guarantee a failure (or a frustrating victory).

Make sure that you do NOT use AERIAL Lance of the Fury as the animation is a tad longer (Blades of Athena gets stuck to the ground and Kratos take a few seconds longer to pull it out). NOT using AERIAL Lance of The Fury will ensure that the Medusas you failed to hit will not capitalize on your vulnerable self. If you do get turned to stone then wiggle the analog stick from left to right as fast as you can. Usually, they will not hit you but at times you get frozen when an undead soldier already planned to attack you and can result in death. Undead soldiers' spawn quantity is less than that of Medusa so when you see them stop spawning, then you're close to finishing the challenge. Now it should be fairly easy. You can continue what you were doing or you can just attack the Medusas with Light and Heavy attack (while evading the Gaze) and you should be done.

Challenge 9: Kill all Cyclops before time runs out.

This challenge felt SO much easier after Challenge 8. Avoid the Satyrs and timer (looks like a short amount of time but it's actually MORE than enough. You can finish this in 45 seconds or less) and just focus on Cyclops. Just use Spirit of Hercules (Triangle, Triangle, Triangle) on a Cyclops twice and it will result in their death. Follow the same technique for the other 3 spawning Cyclops and you should be done.

Challenge 10: Kill enemies to make the platform rise. Reach the top platform.

Here's hoping you did NOT use Rage of the Gods in the previous challenges. If you did, you're a dead meat and might need to start all over again for this gets frustrating as fuck. Scenario is simple: Climb the platform ahead of you and STAY in the platform while killing Satyrs and Cerberus. The catch: The goddamn platform is shit small and a push can result in your death. If you do land of the edge of the platform, evade and roll to the center or away from the Satyrs. Use Hercules combo (Square and Hold Square) as this is the only way you can ensure that Satyrs are vulnerable to the final hit. Lance of the Fury (L1 + O) can also be used but it can be a bit catchy so it's best to avoid it. When using Hercules combo (Square and Hold Square), focus the small attacks on the Cerberus and the final blow on the Satyrs. Once you see the base of the platform above you, use the Rage of the Gods and combination of Light and Heavy attacks will ensure that they die quick. As soon as the platform is on your reach, jump for it and you are done.

Successfully completing The Challenge of the Gods should unlock the trophy and extra costumes (costume needed for next playthrough if you're going for the Platinum trophy and have not complete the "Seeing Red" or the Speed Run trophy). Congrats and thanks for reading!

I thought there was a way to beat GOW and start over with all of your magic and weapon upgrades.

++

Started GOW II and I was quite turned off by the hollow sound my blades make when the soldiers block. I find it quite annoying. Anyone else with me on this?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
Started GOW II and I was quite turned off by the hollow sound my blades make when the soldiers block. I find it quite annoying. Anyone else with me on this?

Nope.

There is New Game + in GoWII, if I recall correctly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
As in start new game with power ups from a previous play through?

I believe so, but you may want to check online to make sure this is the case. I specifically remember that you could continue to upgrade things and collect cyclops' eyes after the game was over, for the Challenge of the Titans.

Isn't there supposed to be somesort of multiplayer for GOW III?

I wonder if it will be Kratos vs Kratos, or other characters or what.

Erebus

Wow, I'm really surprised at how good GoW1 still looks. The game really benefits from the AA and the resolution bump.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
After beating the Challenge of the Gods I got the last 3 trophies I need and got my Platinum... onto GoW2, so epic.

Top Bottom