• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

fernoca said:
Overall great and still impressive game except a few things:
1. That water area with the moving walls..
2. The Baby Cerberus
3. The spike room you need to move a block
4. The second set of the spiked wall
5. Last boss' second form
...argh...

I agree with every single point there except the baby cerberus. I was able to kill them pretty easily. Those other points mentioned were very frustrating for me. (Just beat the game today for the first time ever.)

Moving on to GOW2... Can't wait.

Finished God of War II today. Man, what an amazing game, I was so into it. I can't wait till later tonight when I will download the God of War III demo and play it for the first time. I'm so excited. For me, the God of War games are up there with the Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, and the Uncharted games which are my favorite games. So, yeah, I'm definitely glad I got the Collection, was definitely worth every penny. I still have some trophies to get, so I will definitely replay I and II, which isn't a problem since they were both amazing.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
1 more trophy to go for the GoW2 Platinum.

Anyone know where I can find these Uber Chests? I don't think I've ever ran into one during my play throughs from the PS2 version.

So i had a very weird glitch while fighting Zeus.
When you throw him into the second pillar to drop the huge rock on him. Instead of throwing him to the ground, he threw him off the cliff! I haven't played the game in awhile so i was walking for 5 mins waiting for something to happen. Then just said fuck it and restarted the fight and finally the R1 prompt came up the 2nd time time.

Never mind found all the chests.:D

heres a good guide if anyone wants to use one.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/submit-trophy-guides/14165-god-war-ii-trophy-guide.html

Gack! my collection arrived yesterday. entered in Gow3 demo code:
Wrong or expired it tells me.
Do i have to make a NA profile to DL it? it doesnt work on an EU profile?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Templar Wizard said:
NA profile most likely; the demo is on the SCEA servers, not SCEE.

Blablurn

Templar Wizard said:

you have to use a NA profile.

Philanthropist said:
Which site did you order from?

axelmusic.com!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just finished God of War. I forgot how epic -- and thrilling -- the end could be. I missed kissing the nyad, so I may go back through on Easy to get that and try to pick up the 5h trophy. Man, do I hate doing
Hades

Never tried the challenges. I take it that's a bit of a pain too. I probably won't ever platinum, but I'm content.

strideramc

Just beat the first one for the first time. After several false starts, I was glad I ended up waiting for this one. Overall it lived up to all the hype, but man, the spiked room with the block and the spiked towers were super frustrating. Everything else was great. I didn't find the last fight with Ares to be as challenging as I had heard. I'll come back to GoW 2 after I beat a couple other games. Have to take a breather between games in a series or I get burnt out on them.

alr1ghtstart said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/the-god-of-war-collection-sweepstakes/

In celebration of the recently released God of War Collection, and to show our continued support of true God of War fans, we’ve put together an incredible sweepstakes exclusively for the God of War Spartan Army. After all, it was the fans that convinced us to offer the God of War and God of War II experience in stunning HD on the PS3.
Only for US residents :( Bah!

protonion

Liquidus said:
1 more trophy to go for the GoW2 Platinum.

Anyone know where I can find these Uber Chests? I don't think I've ever ran into one during my play throughs from the PS2 version.

The first one you see it in a cutscene when a certain boss drags you with him...Backtrack there when you have the chance much later.

It's been a while so I don't remember the other two but they are quite tricky...

BTW I really love finding chests in gow2.Some of them are brilliantly hidden!

Edit:eek:ops, just saw that someone posted videos for all three...

Donos

alr1ghtstart said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/the-god-of-war-collection-sweepstakes/

4131577453_16e5e9d3ef.jpg

www.godofwar.com on December 17, 2009!

The T-shirt is badass. Kratos is THE most angry mother**** of all time. It will be hard find an actor which pulls his anger properly to the screen.

Too bad it's only for the US :(

fernoca said:
Hehe..yeah..just beat the game today and got that trophy. :p

2. The Baby Cerberus
...argh...

Anyway....I ended 2k short to max Medusa's head, to get the "max all trophy"...do I need to start the game all over again, just cause of those 2k orbs?? :(

Same with me on the orbs. Damn annoying!

Gotta say the spiked room/block part is way too fast, really should have given you another 2 seconds, it's crazy the timing of that one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Katana_Strikes said:
Same with me on the orbs. Damn annoying!

Gotta say the spiked room/block part is way too fast, really should have given you another 2 seconds, it's crazy the timing of that one.

I think the timing on that room is perfect and the countdown ticking really adds to the sense of dread through the trap. I really liked it.

It helps people realize that using the max kick is the fastest way to move objects in the game. And you don't have to push the block right next to the ledge to double jump up to it.

Does anyone know if you still can get trophies if you import the USA version and play on a European account?

Playing tear free and 60 fps is so tempting...

PuppetSlave said:
Does anyone know if you still can get trophies if you import the USA version and play on a European account?

Playing tear free and 60 fps is so tempting...
Trophies aren't region locked.

ATF487

Is anyone else playing a US copy on a Japanese PS3?

I don't think I can get all the trophies, I couldn't do the sex mini game or kiss the nymph.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ATF487 said:
Is anyone else playing a US copy on a Japanese PS3?

I don't think I can get all the trophies, I couldn't do the sex mini game or kiss the nymph.

Why not? You get 400 red orbs, and some magic feathers.

Just found out you can play as Athena in GOW2 by beating the game in God mode, then beating the game again in Titan mode.

That's gonna be tough :D

MrPliskin

Banned
Question:

God of War 1:

Athena - "Chronos is the last living titan".

God of War 2:

WTF TITANS EVERYWHERE?!

Just poor writing, or did I miss something? I've always wondered about this...

Synless

MrPliskin said:
Question:

God of War 1:

God of War 2:

WTF TITANS EVERYWHERE?!

I was thinking that when I heard that yesterday. I think they messed up. Also I was wondering if they are going to use that "Kratos dead brother coming for him" thing they talked about in the video. I am assuming so because they made you watch the movie for that trophy so he will most likely be in GoW3.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Started a new game+ and "found" the three uber chests thus my journey has come to an end. Both GoWs have been platinumed:)

B-Dex

Can anyone tell me how to grab the 3 chests behind the iron fence right after the oracle gets taken away by harpies in GoW1?

I read online you have to jump and grab the ledge of the bridge you jumped off of but I can never do that. Is there some trick to it I am missing?

Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about haha. It is right at the end of the rooftops of Athens level.

B-Dex said:
Can anyone tell me how to grab the 3 chests behind the iron fence right after the oracle gets taken away by harpies in GoW1?

I read online you have to jump and grab the ledge of the bridge you jumped off of but I can never do that. Is there some trick to it I am missing?

Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about haha. It is right at the end of the rooftops of Athens level.
Find a Youtube video for it. I tried for like ten times before I made the jump right.

You have to jump off the platform where the savepoint is and than dubble jump and turn to grap that platform. Shimmy to the right and than dubble jump off to the three chests.

Augemitbutter said:
finished challenge of the gods for the first time!

good guide btw, thanks for that.

Thank you! :D :D In case others are wondering, here is the guide that I posted that can help you if it's frustrating the shit outta you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18605776&postcount=693

Synless said:
I was thinking that when I heard that yesterday. I think they messed up. Also I was wondering if they are going to use that "Kratos dead brother coming for him" thing they talked about in the video. I am assuming so because they made you watch the movie for that trophy so he will most likely be in GoW3.

Co-op with Kratos' evil brother, confirmed!! :p

fernoca said:
Hehe..yeah..just beat the game today and got that trophy. :p

2. The Baby Cerberus
...argh...

Anyway....I ended 2k short to max Medusa's head, to get the "max all trophy"...do I need to start the game all over again, just cause of those 2k orbs?? :(
In case anyone else has problems with these:
1. Use the boost (hold R1, then release) two or three times in a row to make it.
2. Juggle the puppies (use Apollo's Ascension or Plume of Prometheus); in the air they're pretty helpless.
3. Yes, that's a *very* close shave. It's where I got the "Get offered Easy Mode" trophy. :lol (Of course, Easy only does combat, so the change would do no good!)
4. If you mean the Hades pillars, yep. Nobody likes them.
The key to this is to allow your family to get damaged. Get behind them and use Rage of the Gods to pound away. The clone Kratoses will still get through gradually, but that's okay. When your family's health is pretty low, go do Poseidon's Rage near them to clear the area. Then hug them (O button) to refill their health. You'll be weakened, but the hugging also refills your Rage of the Gods very, very quickly. You can then repeat the cycle, gaining health back from the enemies you kill while invincible.

And if you think 2000 orbs is bad, I ended the game 121 orbs short of complete max! I would've gone back to an earlier save if I didn't already need to do another run to get under 5 hours.

ravien56

Killing_Joke said:
So i had a very weird glitch while fighting Zeus.
When you throw him into the second pillar to drop the huge rock on him. Instead of throwing him to the ground, he threw him off the cliff! I haven't played the game in awhile so i was walking for 5 mins waiting for something to happen. Then just said fuck it and restarted the fight and finally the R1 prompt came up the 2nd time time.

Never mind found all the chests.:D

heres a good guide if anyone wants to use one.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/submit-trophy-guides/14165-god-war-ii-trophy-guide.html
Dude WTF! Spoilers.

A couple alternate suggestions for shagg_187's excellent Challenge of the Gods guide:

Challenge 1: Knock 8 enemies off the platform before time runs out. Killing an enemy will fail the challenge.

I don't even bother breaking the shields. Just try to grab them (O button) and they get knocked back. It can be a hassle getting them into position so the knockback takes them off the edge, and it takes a little longer than his idea, but there's zero danger of killing anybody and failing (and the time limit is generous).

Challenge 6: Reach the center of the end platform before time runs out.

I take advantage of the fact that once an archer is offscreen behind you, they will not shoot anymore--so I just ignore the first two. As soon as the challenge starts, roll toward the first platform (right stick). Jump on it, then immediately make the next five jumps all in a row, right past two archers. If you jump on and off fast enough, they won't have time to fire or swipe at you. Once passed, they're harmless.

You do need to kill the last lone archer; either use Hermes Rush from the air while landing (R1) or hit him a couple times after you're on his platform. Then jump to the next platform on the left, which is second to last. Simply wait here, facing straight forward toward the last platform. Once the one you're on moves right, jump quickly to the little mover, then to the big platform. Use the right stick to roll past the archers and finish.

Bad luck may result in a fall the first time or two you try this way, but once you get the timing down the whole challenge takes like 10 seconds.

Challenge 10: Kill enemies to make the platform rise. Reach the top platform.

This is pretty much as tough as all the rest of the challenges put together. Rage of the Gods is a huge help here, almost enough to be completely required. Do not use Lance of the Furies (L1+O)! It clears all the puppies, but the Satyrs are immune to its knockback and will often get in hits on you during recovery time. I've found two methods to work best for me:

1. Switch to Blade of Artemis (L1+R1) before jumping to the platform. Then use a mix of two attacks: L1+Δ, which is a juggler that works on both puppies and Satyrs, or Δ from the air, which is a (limited area) knockback that also works on both. You'll also need to dodge and block.
2. Stay centered in the platform as much as you can, and spam the block button (L1). Whenever an attack connects exactly as you block, everything goes into slow-mo. At that time, hit □ for a double-sweep that can clear the entire platform. (I believe this is the same as the last attack in the Hercules combo shagg_187 suggests, but can be used immediately.) Timing on the response is rough--you'll often do the L1+□ combo instead, or a regular light attack-- but if you can get it down, this is by FAR the easiest way to do the challenge. Blocking all the time means you take little damage, and your attacks are the fastest, strongest option. Blocked enemy attacks do still move you a little, though, so make sure to recenter on the platform when necessary.

In both cases, use Rage of the Gods when your health is about halfway and just wail away with your heaviest attacks. (Don't save it too long; the platform rises gradually after your kills, and you don't want Rage to wear off and you have little health left while still waiting for the ascension.) As soon as you safely can, jump up and grab the final platform.

In addition to strategy and Rage of the Gods, you'll need luck and patience to complete this challenge. Screaming obscenities at the TV also seems to help. :D

I finished the first today and I even got the trophy for the column in Hades. After the first I thought the second one should be easy but I died like 10 times there :lol

Ares was kinda difficult though... Anyway, now for something completely different. I think I'm going for New Mario next. GoWII right after GoWI will be overkill for me.

panda21

Ueda collection?!!?!?!? *faints* ueda... collection *faints* .... *faints*

oh god please please please please

i imported this and ill double dip if it comes out in europe ps2 game collection gods i promise! just give me the ueda collection

*faints*

Liabe Brave said:
In addition to strategy and Rage of the Gods, you'll need luck and patience to complete this challenge. Screaming obscenities at the TV also seems to help. :D

I'll add "changing your position and seat every time you fail" to this! :lol

Very good tips. I haven't tried them but from the sound of it they are awesomely awesome!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still haven't received my copy from AxelMusic. It was shipped last Wednedsay (the 18th), so it's been a week. Oh well, their site says the estimated shipping time to Sweden is 4-7 working days, and it's only been 5, so I'll give it until Friday before i start panicking.

MrPliskin said:
Question:

God of War 1:

God of War 2:

WTF TITANS EVERYWHERE?!

I think it's just different story direction. looks like David Jaffe and Cory Barlog had different vision or opinion of where the story should go for God of War 2.

I think I've read somewhere that David Jaffe said had he keep directing God of War series, he had a different direction to the story. it's not the only different thing btw. Zeus, Hades and Poseidon look dramatically different from their GoW2's version.

in one of the GoW2 bonus material, there's Cory talking about that Kratos brother thing and he just said to suck it up or something. meaning it's not canon I guess.

Synless

The difference in graphics between the first and second game are huge. One thing that I noticed about the game is you can see alot of the tricks they used. An example would be in the pandora temple when you are in that room that spins all around if you have everything lined up you can see they use a picture to show the rooms farther down the hall until you run through them. Clever stuff I never would have noticed before.

Zen

Banned
Callibretto said:
I think it's just different story direction. looks like David Jaffe and Cory Barlog had different vision or opinion of where the story should go for God of War 2.

I think I've read somewhere that David Jaffe said had he keep directing God of War series, he had a different direction to the story. it's not the only different thing btw. Zeus, Hades and Poseidon look dramatically different from their GoW2's version.

in one of the GoW2 bonus material, there's Cory talking about that Kratos brother thing and he just said to suck it up or something. meaning it's not canon I guess.

I'm pretty sure I would have preferred the direction that David Jaffe was planning on taking the series, whihc, so it's said, was more focused around the character of Kratos. He got pretty dumbed down, and from a narative point of view, God of War II was pretty sloppy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Synless said:
The difference in graphics between the first and second game are huge. One thing that I noticed about the game is you can see alot of the tricks they used. An example would be in the pandora temple when you are in that room that spins all around if you have everything lined up you can see they use a picture to show the rooms farther down the hall until you run through them. Clever stuff I never would have noticed before.
You can see this happen in the original, not just the remake. I remember re-playing it (wow, I've finished this game three times now?) with a friend and we saw that image-that-becomes-3D-when-you-get-close trick.

Erebus

Synless said:
Yep, noticed that as well. :D

Synless

jvm said:
You can see this happen in the original, not just the remake. I remember re-playing it (wow, I've finished this game three times now?) with a friend and we saw that image-that-becomes-3D-when-you-get-close trick.
I haven't played the first since it had come out years ago so I didn't really notice it then. It's really noticeable now though because the picture looks really pixelated compared to the rest of the game. There are a few areas and it's in the second game too. The giant horses are a picture that you can see outside the window where the bodies are all hanging in the beginning of the game.

Top Bottom