• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Zen said:
I'm pretty sure I would have preferred the direction that David Jaffe was planning on taking the series, whihc, so it's said, was more focused around the character of Kratos. He got pretty dumbed down, and from a narative point of view, God of War II was pretty sloppy.
I'm the exact opposite. The tragic past of the first game is mostly ho-hum stuff, and the idea of an Evil Twin™ is incredibly bad. The epic gameplay is so much more central to my enjoyment than the story that I really prefer the "violent travelogue" feel of the sequel. "Meet famous Greek heroes and monsters and kill them brutally" at least doesn't have any pretensions.

Synless

You know what I want to know? How do all these other solders end up in these places Kratos goes to? They are in the Pandora area, they are on the Fate's island, they are everywhere!!

Synless said:
You know what I want to know? How do all these other solders end up in these places Kratos goes to? They are in the Pandora area, they are on the Fate's island, they are everywhere!!

It's explained that the enemies in Pandora's Temple are fools that had also tried their hand at getting Pandora's Box. Dunno about the other places, though.

Synless

Freedom = $1.05 said:
It's explained that the enemies in Pandora's Temple are fools that had also tried their hand at getting Pandora's Box. Dunno about the other places, though.
I know it tells you that, but you always find random people that are alive that shouldn't be there. I know I'm looking to deeply into this but there is no way anyone beside Kratos could have made it there. Example would be the dude you burn alive as a sacrifice.

Synless said:
I know it tells you that, but you always find random people that are alive that shouldn't be there. I know I'm looking to deeply into this but there is no way anyone beside Kratos could have made it there. Example would be the dude you burn alive as a sacrifice.
There's essentially only one area between Athens and there (the desert). When Ares started kicking Athens' ass, it would've been easy enough for them to send a phalanx of their dudes into the desert to summon Pandora. They failed, and Kratos comes upon the survivor.

ACE 1991

Alright guys, I'm stuck. Online guides haven't been helping a whole lot either.
Okay so I'm at the part in Pandora's Temple where you need to move atlas, but there is not handle for the crank.

So, since I finished God of War II yesterday, I downloaded the God of War III demo for the first time this morning. I played it twice already, and I'm in awe. It's really really good. I liked how the fiery Titan walks over you after you beat the Chimera, and the Icarus Vent section. I thought I was going to die in the Icarus Vent, but the two times I went through it, I didn't have any problems. I wish the demo didn't end, though, because I just wanted to keep on playing. So, yeah, I can't wait for March 2010.

eshwaaz

I'm only about two hours into GoW 1 (I beat it twice when it was originally released), but I'm just amazed at what a testament this game is to strong art design and animation. Sure, most of the models are quite dated and some of the textures are really lo-res, but the atmosphere is still excellent, the sense of scale is still impressive and the animation shames most modern games. The sound and music are outstanding as well.

It's a poster child for making intelligent choices within the limitations of the hardware you're working with, and not just packing in as many effects as possible to showcase your tech. Team Kojima were masters of that on PS2 as well.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

I want to be at home having a jolly good time with Kratos, instead I am stuck at work until 5pm. Damn holiday overtime.

Happy turkey day!

LLaMa-Tech said:
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

I want to be at home having a jolly good time with Kratos, instead I am stuck at work until 5pm. Damn holiday overtime.

Happy turkey day!

I feel your pain.
My manager is on vacation though so I'm probably going to leave early. No one keeps track of the co-op students anyway.

ACE 1991

Quetion: Is there anyway to revert my game back to normal difficulty? I wussed out and changed it to easy after dying over twenty times on the room in Atlas's Challenger where you have to kill the sirens and legionnaire's before the floor gives way. Now, I'm finding the game too easy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ACE 1991 said:
Quetion: Is there anyway to revert my game back to normal difficulty? I wussed out and changed it to easy after dying over twenty times on the room in Atlas's Challenger where you have to kill the sirens and legionnaire's before the floor gives way. Now, I'm finding the game too easy.

That part really is a huge PITA. Took me quite a few tries before I could get past it.

In the end I wussed out and changed to easy too, but not until I got to the final boss

LiK

omg, i got through the spinning blade tower in GoW Collection without being hit on my first try, woo!

dang, forgot how hard the section with the
family
was

stolin

stolin said:
I just finished the game and got my Platinum Trophy.. ~ 3:30 (second playthrough) using a bonus costume.

The resolution bump made it nice & sharp and the art still holds up but it's the 60FPS framerate that I like the most. It's just pleasing to see & feel the fluidity.

Now GOW2.

Now added God of War II Platinum. Playing through both games back to back again was great.

Now I'm ready for GoW III in March. Although playing the E3 demo at 30fps and lower really feels slow now...

Nicktendo86

Well I finished God of War last night, amazing game went from one massive set piece to another! Can't believe I missed out on this first time round... just got a couple of trophies to mop up, by the way anyone have a suggestion for the best part to get a 200 combo?

SmokyDave

Played about half of GoW1 last night, loved every minute. It looks fantastic and the framerate is rock solid throughout. Gonna finish it tonight and get GoW2 done over the weekend. I imported a copy from Hong Kong and it has an awesome cover, looks like the instruction manual from the US version.

GOW2:
Got done killing the Stone Minotuar inside of Atlas.
Now I am stuck.
I keep dying when I blind jump and swing on the anchor point back toward the camera. I am aware of the moving rock but not sure how to time my jump.

Any help on this?

Nicktendo86 said:
Well I finished God of War last night, amazing game went from one massive set piece to another! Can't believe I missed out on this first time round... just got a couple of trophies to mop up, by the way anyone have a suggestion for the best part to get a 200 combo?
I believe I got that trophy where the wall moves towards you (shield of Hades or Zeus). Enemies keep falling from the sky and I was Raging with Poseiden like a madman. Both 100 and 200 hits unlocked if I remember correctly.

Alright, UK gamer here, I imported this one because y'know. The GOW3 demo redeem code isn't working, however. Anyone know why? Are the codes region locked or something stupid? Can anyone help a brother out with a working redeem code? :)

Itchy//Tasty said:
Alright, UK gamer here, I imported this one because y'know. The GOW3 demo redeem code isn't working, however. Anyone know why? Are the codes region locked or something stupid? Can anyone help a brother out with a working redeem code? :)
It's a code for the US. Make a US account (go live @ 90210 :lol ) and start downloading from that account.

Chrono

Banned
Sorry if this has been mentioned a dozen times already, but I can't read the entire thread and would appreciate an answer...

Do the games support real widescreen or are they stretched?

The videos I've seen make me think so, though I'm not sure if it's both games or what. It's not as noticeable in a game as it is in a movie.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Chrono said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned a dozen times already, but I can't read the entire thread and would appreciate an answer...

Do the games support real widescreen or are they stretched?

The videos I've seen make me think so, though I'm not sure if it's both games or what. It's not as noticeable in a game as it is in a movie.
Both GOW 1 & 2 supported real 16:9 on PS2, So I would imagine it does

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I'm doing a speed run in GOW1, if I restart from last checkpoint, does all the time count? I'm worried about playing through and getting boned on the goddamn rotating spikes.

Chrono

Banned
TGO said:
Both GOW 1 & 2 supported real 16:9 on PS2, So I would imagine it does

I just played GOW 1 on my PS3 and it didn't, the widescreen was fake, it cropped part of the image and I think it zoomed a bit too. I'll be starting GOW 2 soon also and on the bottom of the case where it lists features it doesn't have anything about widescreen so I'm guessing it's fake like the first game. Come to think of it 2 also doesn't have progressive scan listed as a feature, even though 1 does.

Edit:

You know, since I'm in this thread already, why not ask this too:

Anybody remember that part in GOW 1, underwater, where you swim past a daughter of Zeus I think and somewhere you read a note or get a hint that if you 'please' her she'll reward you? I just pressed random buttons until kratos grabbed and kissed her, then she laughed and went away. No reward, or was that it? >_>

Chromax

I expected challenge 10 to be way harder, I had a much harder time with 8, in fact...that's where I dropped my Rage of the God just to get through! So I went through 10 without it. :lol

Only 5 hour speed run left before my first platinum! :D

I'm playing the original God of War and I'm in the room where you rip off Medusa's head. I killed all the minotaurs by turning them to stone and destroying them but Aphrodite will not let me pass and I have no where else to go. Am I an idiot or did I run into a glitch?

Felix Lighter said:
I'm playing the original God of War and I'm in the room where you rip of Medusa's head. I killed all the minotaurs by turning them to stone and destroying them but Aphrodite will not let me pass and I have no where else to go. Am I an idiot or did I run into a glitch?

Did you freeze all 3 and kill them at the same time?

Finally started the collection, and man does GOW1 hold up after 4 years or what? Unbelievably smooth feeling too.

Net_Wrecker said:
Did you freeze all 3 and kill them at the same time?

Finally started the collection, and man does GOW1 hold up after 4 years or what? Unbelievably smooth feeling too.

Yeah and there is nothing else to fight. I'm just stuck in the room.

Edit:
I just reloaded the last check point and it worked the second time so it must have been a glitch. No big deal.

Felix Lighter said:
Yeah and there is nothing else to fight. I'm just stuck in the room.

Well damn I hope you haven't hit a gamebreaking glitch. If I didn't kill them the "right way" they would just keep spawning until I remembered how to do it, and I went right through.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just finished God of War 1 and beat Challenge of the Gods....just need to beat game in 5 hours + 2 misc bronze trophies for platinum....ah jeez

Ares was alot harder than I remembered lol. Also fuck that spiked room.

thaOwner

I just posted this in the demo impressions thread and also here :

Anyone have a spare code for the God of War 3 demo ? I just received my PS3 and would like to try it please. Thanks.

ACE 1991

Almost finished the first game, had to convert the game to easy mode when I got stuck in the room with the trap floor where Kratos was pitted against legionnaires and Sirens. Are there any challenge "brick walls" in God of War 2? I guess I just suck at games, but after changing the game to easy I can kind of just button mash my way through combat, which isn't a whole lot of fun.

Lyonaz

Got the game today, ordered from videogamesplus.ca, got it within 5 days. :D
But what's up with the double language on my PS3-case, I don't want that french stuff on it. :p

Started God of War 1, still as great as ever. :D

thaOwner

Lyonaz said:
Got the game today, ordered from videogamesplus.ca, got it within 5 days. :D
But what's up with the double language on my PS3-case, I don't want that french stuff on it. :p

Started God of War 1, still as great as ever. :D
If yours came with the god of war 3 demo and you haven't used it or plan to use it ? PM me it please.

snap0212

So how hard is the Platinum in God of War 1? I'm playing it for the first time so I don't think I'm going to be able to beat it in under five hours. How challenging is that Tropy?

Top Bottom