• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Zeth

Yeah, I'm another one of those people who never touched a God of War game EVER.

I'm 4 hours into GOW1 and I'm absolutely FLOORED. This game is amaaaazing. I can't even believe there's still an (even better) sequel on the same $40 disc. This is hands down the best game purchase I've made all year.

And by the way: The GOW3 demo is EFFING UNREAALLL. If the demo portion is the most epic portion of the game, it'll still be one of the most badass games of all time.

Yoboman

People are finding God of War difficult?

I swear this is the gen we've become weaksauce gamers because last gen the widest complaint about GoW was definitely that it was too easy

LowParry

Yoboman said:
People are finding God of War difficult?

I swear this is the gen we've become weaksauce gamers because last gen the widest complaint about GoW was definitely that it was too easy

It's easy till you get to climbing rotating poles with spikes. Oiy vey.

CcrooK said:
It's easy till you get to climbing rotating poles with spikes. Oiy vey.

I just did the 2nd set on the 1st go without getting hurt. I couldnt have done that if I was trying mind.
:D

Just Platinumed the 1st game. On to round 2...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Katana_Strikes said:
I just did the 2nd set on the 1st go without getting hurt. I couldnt have done that if I was trying mind.
:D

Just Platinumed the 1st game. On to round 2...
Lol on my 2nd playthrough I didnt touch a spike at all. Its not that hard :/ Only hard time I had for this game was Ares...and that was more of trying to remember how to kill him again.

Zeth said:
Yeah, I'm another one of those people who never touched a God of War game EVER.

I'm 4 hours into GOW1 and I'm absolutely FLOORED. This game is amaaaazing. I can't even believe there's still an (even better) sequel on the same $40 disc. This is hands down the best game purchase I've made all year.

And by the way: The GOW3 demo is EFFING UNREAALLL. If the demo portion is the most epic portion of the game, it'll still be one of the most badass games of all time.

GOOD....GOOODD.......

426fk.jpg

SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING COMPLETE...

292wjnc.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CcrooK said:
Assholes. :( Don't rub in my pain. Ares was eeeeeeasy!

The end boss(es) of GOW1 are some of the biggest pains in the ass this side of Killzone 2. Not to mention it froze on me on the
third form of Ares
. The same thing happened when I originally played it on PS2. How they managed to leave it in for the re-release.....

MightyKAC

Just pick this up in the mail from Amazon and it just so happens to have a GoW III demo DL code inside. Since I'm on self-imposed media blackout from this one I'll give it to the first member that replies.

Raziel

MightyKAC said:
Just pick this up in the mail from Amazon and it just so happens to have a GoW III demo DL code inside. Since I'm on self-imposed media blackout from this one I'll give it to the first member that replies.
me?

Erdrick

So I beat GoW2 last night and went on to the PSP one. I finished it about half an hour ago. Talk about short. Its not like I go through games fast either. But you know what? It was still just as good essentially as the original and sequel, given the limitations of the PSP in comparison.

I Dl'ed the demo of GoW3 tonight (It took a long time...) and WOW. It's not quite topping the beginning of GoW2 yet, but it's such a visual upgrade. Such detail in the game...

March is going to be fun.

ATF487

The rotating spike portion ruined me when I played it a few years ago, but I had no problem with it today.

Ares, though...I must have fought him 30+ times, until I finally found a tactic that worked, which was basically just spamming O and dodging. Using the other attack buttons yielded awful results

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Against the last form of Ares, you just have to do Square, Triangle, Triangle over and over.... get in the clash, then mash the appropriate button.

That works for every difficulty.

First form is weak against Army of Hades.

Second "form" is about spacing your attacks, using Rage of the Gods and abusing the unlimited magic (you can use Poseidon's Rage while Army of Hades is attacking).

ACE 1991

I'm curious to see how GoW 3 will be received critically; it appears to be the third game that is mechanically exactly the same as the other two games.

ACE 1991 said:
I'm curious to see how GoW 3 will be received critically; it appears to be the third game that is mechanically exactly the same as the other two games.

The GoW Collection currently has a 92 average (the lowest score that it's received is an 8). So it seems that people still like those mechanics.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

VIDEOGAMESPLUS.... WHY MUST YOU STILL BE PROCESSING MY ORDER AND NOT DISPATCHING IT?

I CANNOT WAIT MUCH LONGER.

ACE 1991 said:

with God of War 1 and 2 still fresh in critics mind, that should shut them up about GoW3 being GoW HD visually. and they can't say the gameplay is stale either since there's clearly attempt to improve the combat with changes to QTE and expanded grab action. it's subtle, but with GoW2 combat still fresh in their mind, hopefully the critics can see the improvement rather than just blindly say the combat is exactly the same.

biggest thing going against GoW3 is expectation. and I feel the crucial thing that will make or break critics opinion is the moving level Santa Monica is boasting ever since the first trailer.

we haven't seen how it works. if it's basically the same as GoW 1's pandora temple where you don't actually feel like you're on top of moving titan, with just a couple change of level layout via cutscenes here and there. I can see the critics not viewing the game in good light.

but if it's on the same level of Uncharted 2's moving level. which is basically what Santa Monica promises. then I can see critics calling it new and innovative or whatever term they want to use.

Indeed

Ok does anyone think that mashing the R2 button is ridiculous? Somehow i cant do it with the D3. I spent around 5 minutes trying to push down the statue in the beginning of GoW1, trying out different mashing techniques.
Somehow i thought it was easier on PS2 :S

N30RYU

The platinums are too easy, they should at least make us play the game on hard (without game+)

I hope that GOW3 trophyes will be harder than that...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Indeed said:
Ok does anyone think that mashing the R2 button is ridiculous? Somehow i cant do it with the D3. I spent around 5 minutes trying to push down the statue in the beginning of GoW1, trying out different mashing techniques.
Somehow i thought i was easier on PS2 :S

That's because it was easier. R2 on the PS2 was not mushy, and not analog. It was just a button. Try tapping the very top part of R2 like someone suggested here.

ACE 1991 said:

Yeah I wondered this also. I think we'll get a couple of reviews slamming it and giving it less than the norm for it's score. Not that I'm worried about the quality of it. The demo blew me away all over again as if it was new to me.

N30RYU said:
The platinums are too easy, they should at least make us play the game on hard (without game+)

I hope that GOW3 trophyes will be harder than that...

i agree normally, but not with GoW. i've tried to play the first game on hard back then and got bored very fast, because the enemies have insane amounts of hp which gets boring really fast, not a very good design decision. i rather play ninja gaiden games on master ninja than god of war on just hard.

jvm

Gamasutra.
GuardianE said:
That's because it was easier. R2 on the PS2 was not mushy, and not analog. It was just a button. Try tapping the very top part of R2 like someone suggested here.
Quibble: Yes, they were more like on/off buttons but they were analog. Every button on the PS2 Dualshock was analog, IIRC.

God damnit i wish i did some research before beating GOW1. I was just a shy 5k orbs to max out everything and realized they don't carry over to the next game! FUCK! I took my time and knocked out 90% of the trophys in one playthrough. Even came close to 5 hours beating it a little over 6. So the speendrun with unlimited magic should be a breeze.I guess i'm going to have to use the Medusa trick to max out everything. Not in the mood to play a long game and collect all the chests. So 2 trophies away from a double platinum. :D

I honestly like the GOW trophies. Makes you explore the game more. I never even touched the challenges when the games first came out. Having impossible shit like "beat god mode with out saving or dying" is just silly. Jaffe looked so passionate in those making of videos. What happen? :(

Augemitbutter said:
i'm not that far in GoW II right now, but as far as i remember the second game is easier on "normal" difficulty.

Yeh, I started God of War in Hard but as soon as I was given the option to move to Easy I did because, it didn't effect my trophies.

I'm playing God of War 2 on Normal and it seems to me like God of War on Easy. I beat the 2nd and 3rd bosses on my first try. The first boss took a couple of times because I wasn't quite sure of where to hit him.

I think Normal in God of War 2 seems much easier.

Playing these games back to back, shows just how different the ideas for God of War were between David Jaffee and Cory Barlog.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
jvm said:
Quibble: Yes, they were more like on/off buttons but they were analog. Every button on the PS2 Dualshock was analog, IIRC.

You're absolutely right. Sorry about that. I'd simply forgotten. After I read your post, I remembered games like MGS3.

Lyonaz

Finished GOW1 yesterday and OMG at fucking Ares. Took me like 30 minutes at the last battle. I can't believe I forgot how frustrating that whole final battle is.

Played some GOW2 stopped at Isle Of Creation.
Looks still as awesome as ever. Never finished GOW2 before, so I'm all excited for this one!:D

Erdrick

Since this is somewhat related to at least GoWII:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...others/Clash_of_the_Titans_Blu-ray_Bound/3849

Clash Of The Titans is coming March 2nd to Blu Ray. Just in time for whenever GoWIII hits that month. I've had an urge to see this movie again ever since I first played GoW, and ESPECIALLY after GoWII, so it's fitting that it's coming around when the biggest GoW game yet approaches as well.

(Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere.)

How many Uber chests are there? I collected 3 which I thought was them all but not on the same playthru and havent got the trophy. Is that the reason?

Erebus

Lyonaz said:
Finished GOW1 yesterday and OMG at fucking Ares. Took me like 30 minutes at the last battle. I can't believe I forgot how frustrating that whole final battle is.
I'm actually stuck at the final part of the Ares battle on hard at the moment. It's driving me nuts!
Ares can kill me with just one blow, this is ridiculous!

Anyone got any tips before tearing my controller apart ?:lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DarkUSS said:
I'm actually stuck at the final part of the Ares battle on hard at the moment. It's driving me nuts!
Ares can kill me with just one blow, this is ridiculous!

Anyone got any tips before tearing my controller apart ?:lol

You'll need a bit of luck, but start to recognize his unlockable attacks and roll accordingly. Block all his other attacks. Whenever he stands still and roars, use Square Triangle Triangle and you'll get into a Circle mash with him which will drain a ton of his health if you win. Just do this over and over.

Erebus

GuardianE said:
You'll need a bit of luck, but start to recognize his unlockable attacks and roll accordingly. Block all his other attacks. Whenever he stands still and roars, use Square Triangle Triangle and you'll get into a Circle mash with him which will drain a ton of his health if you win. Just do this over and over.
Thanks for the tips.
I managed to beat him after almost an hour of frustration and thumb pain :)lol ) and then as soon as the CG cinematic that follows was over my fucking PS3 froze before I get the chance to save my progress!

God, I'm so pissed off right now. :(

Bought God Of War 1 for my PS2 DAY ONE in March of 2005. Never finished it, and didn't even own a PS2 when God Of War 2 came out. After 4 years, I finally finished GOW today.

Great game, but WOW did it take a turn towards frustrating in the last hour. EVERY single section with the rotating blades is in need of tuning. How those parts slid through to the final game is mindblowing. Getting "cut" by the BACK, or the FLAT part of a blade, and falling 4 stories without even an opportunity to save yourself is the epitome of frustration. Seriously, what the hell? Kratos can take on creatures 10X his size, but getting hit in the pinky by the non-sharp part of a blade is like kryptonite to him.

Aside from that, the game was great, and holds up well after almost 5 years. Can't wait to start the second one tomorrow.

Greg

Haven't played the game in forever, but I never had problems on that part.

All you do is jam on X+up and skip half of it.

Toki767

About to start the speed run on GOW1. Anyone have any tips? Also which costume would be best to use for it. I hear the Diary Bastard costume is the best choice but I don't really like the sound of having your attack cut in half.

Greg said:
Haven't played the game in forever, but I never had problems on that part.

All you do is jam on X+up and skip half of it.

Hellllllllll no. No way you could "jam" the jump command and make it halfway up those things. Even the SLIGHTEST bit of contact with any part of the blade, sharp or not, would send you right back to the bottom, and jumping without a care would certainly leave you retrying it over and over.

I don't think you guys realize how much that section ruins the pacing of the endgame. It felt even worse cause I finished Uncharted 2 last week which was perfectly paced the whole way through. Those spinning blades were not a good time.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Toki767 said:
About to start the speed run on GOW1. Anyone have any tips? Also which costume would be best to use for it. I hear the Diary Bastard costume is the best choice but I don't really like the sound of having your attack cut in half.
Use the cow. Once you get Rage magic you wont need to use anything else in the game besides tossing in Hades until the final ares battle and that doesnt affect it.

Net_Wrecker said:
Hellllllllll no. No way you could "jam" the jump command and make it halfway up those things. Even the SLIGHTEST bit of contact with any part of the blade, sharp or not, would send you right back to the bottom, and jumping without a care would certainly leave you retrying it over and over.

I don't think you guys realize how much that section ruins the pacing of the endgame. It felt even worse cause I finished Uncharted 2 last week which was perfectly paced the whole way through. Those spinning blades were not a good time.
There is only one part of the blades that suck and its because you have to stay between 2 that gives you no room to move up or down...other than that its fairly easy if your thinking about it as you go.

Oneself

ACE 1991 said:

The only thing I'm afraid of is that GOW3 might not be as awesome and perfectly paced as GOW2. GOW2 kicks the shit out of every games on the market except Uncharted2 IMO.

So I was surprised to see how much Blockbuster had - walked right in and they had all the new releases for this month out. I picked this sucker up and bought it. Really glad I did. I know I should be playing GOW 1 first , but I really wanted to see how good the Temple of Lahkesis looked in HD :) After playing for a few hours, I played the GOW 3 demo again and my god, GOW3 really looks phenomenal. I think one of my favorite parts of the game is just seeing that beautiful sky.

Novella

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So I was surprised to see how much Blockbuster had - walked right in and they had all the new releases for this month out. I picked this sucker up and bought it. Really glad I did. I know I should be playing GOW 1 first , but I really wanted to see how good the Temple of Lahkesis looked in HD :) After playing for a few hours, I played the GOW 3 demo again and my god, GOW3 really looks phenomenal. I think one of my favorite parts of the game is just seeing that beautiful sky.
So you're saying these remasters make you appreciate how good God of War 3 looks?

Pass.

Novella said:
So you're saying these remasters make you appreciate how good God of War 3 looks?

Pass.

it's because before the demo is available and all we had is offscreenshot and no direct feed hd trailer, many people ignorantly calling GoW 3 looks like GoW 2 in HD. which is clearly not true.

Top Bottom