• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

bridegur

I can't believe how good GoW 2 looks-- many sections look better than anything in the Dante's Inferno demo. GoW 3 better have some areas as vibrant and colorful as the first two games.

bridegur said:
I can't believe how good GoW 2 looks-- many sections look better than anything in the Dante's Inferno demo. GoW 3 better have some areas as vibrant and colorful as the first two games.

Just picked it up, I too cant get over how good it looks, they did an incredible job.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Schrade said:
They didn't update the HUD overlays so you're seeing the 4:3 HUD overlays in 16:9. i.e. stretched.
Ah, does this apply to the menu assets too? The circle-fill-weapon upgrade thing (when you hit start) is also stretched for me.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
God of War 2 question regarding the 'fully upgrade your weapons and magic' trophy...

Is it a requirement that you do it in a single playthrough? Or can you max them out in a new game afterwards when your stuff carries over?

rmecgn

Neo Member
bridegur said:

i agree ... the art direction is spectacular in GoW2 ... the steeds of time level for example

rmecgn

Neo Member
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
God of War 2 question regarding the 'fully upgrade your weapons and magic' trophy...

Is it a requirement that you do it in a single playthrough? Or can you max them out in a new game afterwards when your stuff carries over?

you can max them out with new game plus and get the trophy ... it is what I did

Leatherface

Hold on I can only find one of those collectors editions. Where is the one with all those new skins?

P.S.- I don't usually geek out on shit like this, but for this game I'm going all out! :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just beat GoW1 yesterday (got the collection for x-mas). Never played or even saw the game on PS2.. had pretty much ditched the PS2 by that point completely for Xbox and GCN.

Gameplay was pretty stunning. Really enjoyed everything about beating it. Epic doesn't even begin to describe. Graphically I'll echo what others are saying about it in this thread. Looks very nice rendered at 720p and many of the textures hold up well. A little bit of me regrets not playing through this in 2005... but for THIS to be the way to first see and play through the game.. no regrets at all.. really nice 720p graphics running at a locked 60fps. taking a tiny (few days) break before I jump onto 2.

grabbed all of the trophies except for challenge of the gods and sppedrun. Used a chest guide to get full stats and the harpy glitch to get full upgrades, but beyond that was spoiler (and strategy) free for the entire game. SOOOO fulfilling.. :D

Leatherface

borghe said:
just beat GoW1 yesterday (got the collection for x-mas). Never played or even saw the game on PS2.. had pretty much ditched the PS2 by that point completely for Xbox and GCN.

Gameplay was pretty stunning. Really enjoyed everything about beating it. Epic doesn't even begin to describe. Graphically I'll echo what others are saying about it in this thread. Looks very nice rendered at 720p and many of the textures hold up well. A little bit of me regrets not playing through this in 2005... but for THIS to be the way to first see and play through the game.. no regrets at all.. really nice 720p graphics running at a locked 60fps. taking a tiny (few days) break before I jump onto 2.

grabbed all of the trophies except for challenge of the gods and sppedrun. Used a chest guide to get full stats and the harpy glitch to get full upgrades, but beyond that was spoiler (and strategy) free for the entire game. SOOOO fulfilling.. :D

Very nice. I have yet to play the first one but when I pick up the collectors edition I'll dive right into that. Believe it or not, I've only recently played GOW2. Oh, and you're in for a treat my friend. Having only played this months ago, I was completely blown away! Let me tell you, It takes a lot for me to be blown away by a PS2 game these days. How the developers pulled that game off is beyond me!

NG28

Playing through II right now for the first time and its pretty good. I'm surprised at how long its taking me and I feel like I'm flying through it. The thing that angers me the most about this game is it only gets difficult when they add stupid stuff like
protecting the guy while fighting enemies, and fighting enemies while pushing a pillar across a room with flame waves coming at you
. The camera angle gets spotty at times too, which can get frustrating.

krae_man

How do you collect 20 cyclops eyes? Every time I've played the game I never even had anywhere remotely close to 20 opportunities to get one, let alone collect 20 of the things.

90% of the QTE's on them are the ones that just kill them, not the rip the eye out ones.

krae_man said:
How do you collect 20 cyclops eyes? Every time I've played the game I never even had anywhere remotely close to 20 opportunities to get one, let alone collect 20 of the things.

90% of the QTE's on them are the ones that just kill them, not the rip the eye out ones.

Just do Challenge of the Titans #1 over and over. Make sure you save after ever one you get though.

markatisu

Got this for Christmas from my wife, my god does it look good.

Beat GoW1 in two days and now starting on GoW2

But jesus christ the pillars at the end of GoW1 are brutal, I think I spent a good hour climbing that second pillar.

Chris FOM

onken said:
Yay beat him, cheers. Damn I hate it when games do that "do you want to switch to easy mode" bullshit. Yes, that's right, I got through the entire game on hard but now I want to change to easy mode on the final boss because I died a few times. I wish there was a damn "do not ask again" option.

Anyway, had a go at challenge of the gods, glag level 8 is solid. I can dispatch all the soldiers piece of cake (about 9 red orb bars) but just can't survive the medusa onslaught. They just keep on coming and always do that dash attack from off screen while I'm in the middle of a combo :(

Ares second form was just horrible game design period. Let's see, the entire game is based around your primary weapon being very fast with a long range. So we'll take away that weapon and give you an incredibly slow, unwieldy one instead. And make it ultra short-ranged. With all new special moves. And then give the boss an unblockable attack that has a short range so it can be avoided, but not if you want to be close enough to hit him, since your new weapon has an even shorter range. Plus it has a very short and fairly ambiguous lead-in animation, so you're never quite sure if he's going to pull of the unblockable attack or the one you need to block so you can land a few hits and take him out. Finally, make it a shared health bar so no matter how many times you've hit him and how much damage you've done and how close he is to death, one mistake and you have to start from scratch.

I really liked God of War, but damned if the wheels didn't come off for the last third. The game nearly falls apart after the minotaur boss, and does fall apart right before you get Pandora's Box. At that point I was playing to finish the game because I was so close, not because it was anywhere near as enjoyable as the first 2/3 or so.

KAOz

Short bus special
Does anyone got a little list of locations to reach in a specific time (doing the speedrun), so I can see how I am doing?

I think I might be lagging behind with 1h 43 minutes and just reached the room with the spiked wheel rolling around before quitting out. =/

elohel said:
this game looks fantastic with the hd bump-up

i really wish that they would do this with more ps2 games

: (

They (Sony Santa Monica) said that every developer has a different way of writing the code, and that their style of code writing is the most basic of them all and it can easily be ported to PS3. I don't think every PS2 game can take advantage of PS3 porting.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So I finished GoW2 last night, and enjoyed it very much. (I think this is my third time, with the first two being on the original PS2 version, right after release.)

Anyway, my question is about the Boss Batch 3 trophy. I didn't get it. Should I have? I don't see how I could finish the game without defeating all three of the sisters...

I also thought I kicked ass going through the "15 minute battle", getting in well under 10 minutes. Regardless, I didn't get the trophy there either. :(

Then I did get the last few trophies for finishing the game, so it wasn't a glitch for all trophies...

Thinking of doing a speedrun next and trying for my first platinum. Hope the Challenge of the Titans isn't too maddening.

obaidr

Banned
ok i finished GoW1 last night on hard mode which was really really fun. I thought some places were just unfair like just before you get the pandoras box. I mean killing about 100 of those flying things just isnt fun at all. There been some really really miserable level design decision for the hard mode which took all the fun away from some parts. A game shouldn't try to be unfair to the player on purpose. It is a game and should be fun.

Started and finished the first 9 chapters on challenge of gods without any problems and with a lot of fun but the last one is once again not ment to be fun, it is just unfair. I tried the last challenge for 1.5 hours and did not get it. I looked at the YT videos but it just didnt work for and i am really pissed. That level wants to be unfair and let you lose which takes the fun away. I need that special unlimited magic thing for my speed run.

Oni Jazar

obaidr said:
ok i finished GoW1 last night on hard mode which was really really fun. I thought some places were just unfair like just before you get the pandoras box. I mean killing about 100 of those flying things just isnt fun at all. There been some really really miserable level design decision for the hard mode which took all the fun away from some parts. A game shouldn't try to be unfair to the player on purpose. It is a game and should be fun.

I'm at the final battle of GOW1 on Hard mode (first time playing) and I've really enjoyed the difficuly so far. The 100 flying dudes aren't impossible if you take out the archers quickly and immediately so you can take your time.

I'm stuck now however.
I have not been able to take down these damn Kratos clones. There are too many of them! I've gotten so close!
. Help!

obaidr

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
I'm at the final battle of GOW1 on Hard mode (first time playing) and I've really enjoyed the difficuly so far.

I'm stuck now however.
I have not been able to take down these damn Kratos clones. There are too many of them! I've gotten so close!

try "[]->[]->Hold []" attack. It is very strong and has a very long reach.

The flying dudes can get killed but i did not understand why they put so many of them in that area. I felt like they want to make the game longer since you are forced to kill everyone of them. Besides they have one of the most annoying attacks :D

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
KAOz said:
Does anyone got a little list of locations to reach in a specific time (doing the speedrun), so I can see how I am doing?

I think I might be lagging behind with 1h 43 minutes and just reached the room with the spiked wheel rolling around before quitting out. =/

I didnt get the 'under 5hrs trophy' in my first playthrough, but i got most of the others. You're much better off playing it normal the first playthrough, and then beating the challenge of the Gods.

You can then do your 2nd playthrough with the game on easy in the Dairy Bastard Costume (comes with unlimited magic). You can avoid most battles, and roll with R stick instead of running to travel ground faster. The battles you do have to fight go by very fast since you can just spam your magic like crazy. By doing this, i beat the game at 3 hrs and 28 minutes, plenty of time for that trophy.

GameCat

Oni Jazar said:
I'm at the final battle of GOW1 on Hard mode (first time playing) and I've really enjoyed the difficuly so far. The 100 flying dudes aren't impossible if you take out the archers quickly and immediately so you can take your time.

I'm stuck now however.
. Help!

If Rage of the Gods is available it becomes significantly easier, since you have unlimited magic while it is active. If you're quick I think you can get three Poseidons rage and one last Army of Hades in before it runs out. Then just spam the square, square hold square combo and
hug your family
when their health gets low to regain more rage.

Finished of the first game today. I originally played it a few months after it first came out and haven't played it since. It has definitely aged well, but there were some parts that were a lot more frustrating and infuriating than I remember. Basically the last hour or so from those rotating beams with spikes to the walls you have to climb with more rotating spikes and then the last battle is pretty tough!

Like I said though, it has aged well and the gameplay still holds up. I enjoyed GoW 2 quite a bit more though so I'm looking forward to getting into it later today :)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
jvm said:
So I finished GoW2 last night, and enjoyed it very much. (I think this is my third time, with the first two being on the original PS2 version, right after release.)

Anyway, my question is about the Boss Batch 3 trophy. I didn't get it. Should I have? I don't see how I could finish the game without defeating all three of the sisters...

I also thought I kicked ass going through the "15 minute battle", getting in well under 10 minutes. Regardless, I didn't get the trophy there either. :(

Then I did get the last few trophies for finishing the game, so it wasn't a glitch for all trophies...

Thinking of doing a speedrun next and trying for my first platinum. Hope the Challenge of the Titans isn't too maddening.

Same bullshat just happened to me.....I beat the Kraken, and the 3 sisters and no trophy. WTF!!! If you google boss batch 3 you'll see that this is a pretty common glitch. Sorry ass QA...nice job.

The worst part is, people who play through it a 2nd time sometimes still dont get it. Guess we'll need to keep a save from before that 3 sister battle just in case....

unomas

Banned
Just got my platinum on GOW 1 earlier today. Did my original run in a little over 8 hours wanted to go back and get the trophies that I missed so I went back for a second shot and did my speed run in a little over 4 hours.

Did the challenge of the gods, and just like everyone else was about to kill someone on that 10th challenge stage. It took me 3-4 hours to beat that final stage, my damn fingers were sore, but I didn't want to stop until I got it. I almost threw the controller on one of my final attempts as I jumped to grab the platform and missed it by a few inches and Kratos fell to his death. I thought I was going to kill everyone in my apartment building after that. What finally worked strategy wise was....

L1 + X and rolling once in a while just to mix it up and to avoid going anywhere near the edge of the floating platform. Also, I can't remember what the name is when you click in both sticks on the controller and turn blue, but instead of using that at the very end of the stage I used it more toward the 1/2 or 3/4 mark when it seemed like there were lots of those dogs and guys were getting more aggressive at trying to knock me off. It seemed to clean house just enough that I could use my regular abilities to finish of the stage and finally make the jump to complete it.

Quick tip that helped me was anytime an opponent got me by the edge and was about to knock me off I would always roll forward to try to get past them, it bailed me out a few times in that final run.

Hope these tips help, but it took me forever to do it. On to GOW 2 in a few days.

jvm

Gamasutra.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Same bullshat just happened to me.....I beat the Kraken, and the 3 sisters and no trophy. WTF!!! If you google boss batch 3 you'll see that this is a pretty common glitch. Sorry ass QA...nice job.

The worst part is, people who play through it a 2nd time sometimes still dont get it. Guess we'll need to keep a save from before that 3 sister battle just in case....
Yep! I'm on my speedrun attempt, so I'm hoping I'll get it this time. I only have 5 cyclops eyes ... how in the world will I get 20? Play it four times?

Kweh said:
What's the number mean next to the red bar?

Basically just multiply that number by 100 I think and thats how many blood orbs you have. It's just a way to tell you how many blood orbs you have without entering a menu.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Terrordactyl said:
Basically just multiply that number by 100 I think and thats how many blood orbs you have. It's just a way to tell you how many blood orbs you have without entering a menu.
I don't think it was worth 100, it was closer to 200. It was some weird arbitrary number, iirc. It seemed really odd to me when I recently replayed it. It basically symbolizes one draining of the tank on the level-up screen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's a way to get a fuck-ton of red orbs during the fight, then you can upgrade your last thing post-fight.

whitehawk

Banned
Oh my god, I just played the GOW3 demo. It's sooo good. Already my GOTY 2010, and that's just based off of the demo. Still the king of action adventure games.

Rez said:
I think there's a way to get a fuck-ton of red orbs during the fight, then you can upgrade your last thing post-fight.

Yeah, I got the trophy... but fuck, now i'm stuck
trying to protect my family
. I don't remember getting my ass kicked this badly the first time I beat the game...

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just finished my bonus play run through God of War II.

Boss Batch 3 Trophy obtained!

Stupid glitch, glad it didn't happen a second time. Also picked up the 15 minute trophy, and some others. I'm 2-3 trophies away from the platinum. I am going to make a real try for this one ... it would be my first platinum.

The catch is that I missed getting gorgon eyes trophy by 1 eye on my first run and you can't make up for it in bonus play. So I've got an actual playthrough coming to me. I may use a walkthrough to just get every gorgon eye available up until I max out, just to minimize the crap I have to deal with. Not sure.

And I have the challenges to do. Not sure how much I'm up for that. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you shouldn't have too much trouble with the eyes if you're consciously looking for them. there is something like double the amount of eyes hidden in the game than what you actually need. ;)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok weird....i ended up getting the 'boss batch 3' trophy out of the blue before i did the battle with Zeus...WTF!!! :lol :lol

When you play new game + (and carry over all of your upgrades, etc...), can you also use the special urns in that mode? Or are you only able to activate the urns on a completely new game?

Im planning on doing the Challenge of the Titans stuff tonite as well....God help me....:lol

I am stuck on the boss battle on the steeds of time in GOW2 (titan mode).

The guy who throws lightning and makes spikes come up.

I beat his first wave, but get killed when he is above the door and I have to fight off minotaurs and such.

Any advice?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LLaMa-Tech said:
I am stuck on the boss battle on the steeds of time in GOW2 (titan mode).

The guy who throws lightning and makes spikes come up.

I beat his first wave, but get killed when he is above the door and I have to fight off minotaurs and such.

Any advice?

This is one of the harder fights on Titan mode, especially since it's before you get your Barbarian Hammer. Check out my FAQ on Gamefaqs.com, though some of the stratgies might be outdated now.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, easy question.....how the hell do you roll cancel in GOW2? I hit the R stick to roll, but he doesnt keep rolling when i hit an attack during the roll..??

Top Bottom