• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection (Vita) |OT| Kratos in yo pocket at upscaled 544p

Flandy

abfe78181c9e0a238cced0439f574a87.gif

724024712a320ee8d25931a3f721cc0b.gif

89b47c72b69ac001b97b545b8ad2503f.gif

God of War Collection brings the nonstop action of God of War and God of War II to the PlayStation®Vita system for the first time ever! In God of War Collection, experience the brutal world of ancient Greece as the legendary Spartan Kratos™ seeks revenge on Ares, the God of War, and tries to accomplish what no mortal has ever done... alter the course of Fate itself.

FEATUREZ:
  • Cross-Buy
  • 7kbps bitrate cutscenes
  • Kratos in YO POCKET
  • 30 FRAMES PER SECOND DOWNGRADE
  • Sub 544p grafix
  • all audio in game compressed to a single MB
  • Brand new trophy list separate from the PS3 version
    [*]The envy of all your friends
  • Omega Symbol on your Vita live area
  • Parental Control level NINE

Release Date:
NA: 5 May 2014
EU: 8 May 2014

File Size:
NA: 3186 MB
EU: 3399 MB

BOXES:
12437457875_e86a989567_z.jpg
12370906975_ba5e101302_z.jpg

OFFICIAL SCREENZ:
psv-game-7171-ss2.jpg
psv-game-7171-ss1.jpg
12371061803_606eaf1131_b.jpg
12370905115_293c6c98cd_b.jpg

Reviews:
Digital Chumps: 9.2
Hardcore Gamer Magazine 4.5/5
Gaming Nexus: 8
Playstation Universe: 7.5
Gaming Age: B
GamingTrend: 60

Glowing Gaffer Impressions
Cross posting from another thread:

I'm playing this right now.

Framerate is definitely topping out at 30, and it's uneven on top of that. The fight against the harpies prior to the second hydra head encounter is a damn slideshow. Audio compression is also atrocious, and the FMVs aren't even formatted to fit the Vita screen. Definitely not impressed with this port so far.

I don't understand how a ps2 port would run below native resolution AND only be 30fps on a VIta. But it isn't the first time I've seen it happen, so I'm not surprised.

Damn..probably shouldn't have rushed out to buy this. I'm such a GOW whore. :(

So what the hell were they smoking when they thought that they could fit both games on the 3.2GB limit without major compromises??

Square Enix did the right thing and made the X and X-2 remasters separate apps for the Vita version. But apparently that idea was too much for them.

You are definitely a better technical expert than the clowns they keep hiring to do these half-assed ports.

Rear touchpad to open up chests.

man.. the game looks horrible.. this is my first time playing a GoW game ever...
is the PS3 HD Collection as bad? :/ sigh

they could at least update the UI to look native.. and the FMVs too (pillarboxed)

Played for about 20-30 minutes ... I just couldn't do it anymore ... To be fair, I played the originals back in the day, so this was more for curiosity ... I'd say if you've played the games before, then you probably won't get much from the Vita versions ... if it weren't for the memory card and worrying about sizes, I'd keep it, but I'd rather have other games on it now ... pretty much meh overall ...

Only 30 fps? Nope. nope. nope.

After reading all the reactions here, I gotta say I'm surprised by how competent of a port it is. I do almost all of my gaming on a PC lately, and I think I've gotten to be pretty sensitive to poor framerates. Not having any issues here, aside from the harpy fight. There are definitely dropped frames, no denying it. It isn't bad enough to make the game unpleasant, though.

I'm happy with it.

It's really quite abysmal.

I started GoW 1, and saying that I'm disappointed by the graphics would be an understatement.

So. Much. Blur.

This is my first OT guys. Hope you liked it

Ridley327

Framerate is definitely topping out at 30, and it's uneven on top of that. The fight against the harpies prior to the second hydra head encounter is a damn slideshow. Audio compression is also atrocious, and the FMVs aren't even formatted to fit the Vita screen. Definitely not impressed with this port so far.

Pimpbaa

I don't understand how a ps2 port would run below native resolution AND only be 30fps on a VIta. But it isn't the first time I've seen it happen, so I'm not surprised.

JordanN

Banned
If it's the upscaled, what's the point of playing this over the original PS2 games?

Or just stick to the PS3 collection.

Dat emotion engine still giving 1 watt portable CPUs/GPUs trouble years later.

because almost all of these PS2 ports are really PS2->PS3->Vita ports, making them more like ps3 ports than ps2 ports. They'd probably be much better if they went from ps2->vita but that would take, like, effort and stuff.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

According to Destructoid GOW1 is sometimes unstable while GOW2 is stabe which is weird considering the previews before were saying GOW1 was more stable and GOW2 was sometimes unstable.

Still better JAK collection and original PS2 games

I would guess that this is a down-port of the PS3 HD Collection just like Jak & Daxter before it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It took you half an hour for this?
It's actually kinda impressive. It has pictures! And bullet points!
Is it at least better than what you expected?
I'm convinced that the above is the best possible response to that comment.

I'll come back with impressions in a little bit. I've never played the first two, after all.

Edit : Now that I've actually read the OT, it's hilarious. GJ Flandy.

Ridley327

According to Destructoid GOW1 is sometimes unstable while GOW2 is stabe which is weird considering the previews before were saying GOW1 was more stable and GOW2 was sometimes unstable.

GoW1 is definitely not running better on the Vita than it did on the PS2. Yeah, it had a lot of tearing on the PS2, but it was operating above 30 fps 99% of the time.

Maybesew

I've never played a single God of War game. I'm told that these 2 are the best. What do I have in store for me?

ohlawd

hope so. GoW 1 is garbage. All effort should be on 2; still the greatest after all these years.

I got it through the trials exploit (but I own it on physical for PS3 so I don't feel bad). I'll save it for a time when I'm not utterly burnt out on God of War. I recently played Ghost of Sparta and while it was well made, I'm just so bored of the formula.

Still, these are great games so I'm sure I'll replay them some day. And since my PS3 died, my Vita is the only way to do so.

Pikma

Banned
Maybe I'll end up getting it, my Vita is hungry for non-RPGs and I've never played any of them, so as long as they're playable...

What's the price, by the way?

FoneBone

I'm no technical expert, but shouldn't Vita be able to run PS2 ports better than this?
because almost all of these PS2 ports are really PS2->PS3->Vita ports, making them more like ps3 ports than ps2 ports. They'd probably be much better if they went from ps2->vita but that would take, like, effort and stuff.

Ah, that would explain it. Probably easier and cheaper than porting from the original PS2 code.

Korten

Banned
Question , since the last two times I asked it in another thread I got no response. If you have two vita memory cards, both tied to the same PSN account, can you switch them out (after a restart), without having to fix anything on the Vita dashboard between switches? (like redoing bubbles and such.)

Cause I want to download this on my 8gb memory card, but I don't want to have to redo my entire set up each time I switch.

whitehawk

Banned
So, let's talk about the actual game.

Just started playing it. The music quality is great, but the audio effects quality are terrible. I guess they had to compress it a lot to fit the game on a card. Makes sense since the original game came on 1 DVD each. Fitting both games under 4GB sounds tricky.

Game plays well though. Framerate could be better, but it seems to be 30+ FPS.
From the last thread.

I just got to the second time you fight the hydra at the beginning of GOW1, and the framerate took a huge hit. :(

Oemenia

Banned
Can someone confirm if it's true widescreen, the PS3 versions were cropped and it made the low-poly aspect of the games even worse.

Baust

I'm a bit confused by cross-buy for this. Does it not count if you already own the games? I've got the PS3 versions of both in my download list, but I'm not seeing the Vita version.

Flandy

I'm a bit confused by cross-buy for this. Does it not count if you already own the games? I've got the PS3 versions of both in my download list, but I'm not seeing the Vita version.

Search for the Vita game and it should show up as free. "Purchase" it and you'll have it. That's what I had to do

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

It's not. The ps2 games hit 60 fps very often and typically stayed above 40.

The Vita port tops out at 30 fps and often drops to 20. It's not good.

antibolo

Banned
So what the hell were they smoking when they thought that they could fit both games on the 3.2GB limit without major compromises??

Square Enix did the right thing and made the X and X-2 remasters separate apps for the Vita version. But apparently that idea was too much for them.

I'm no technical expert, but shouldn't Vita be able to run PS2 ports better than this?

You are definitely a better technical expert than the clowns they keep hiring to do these half-assed ports.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did the GoW games on PSP run at 60 FPS? I don't remember.
Nope.

Originally Posted by FoneBone

It's a port of a port. Ps2 to ps3 to Vita. This is where the problem stems from, I'd imagine.

Hard to believe we were disappointed in Ninja Gaiden Vita when you see this. That offered beautiful image quality with the ps3 improvements at a sold 30 fps. 60 would have been great but every other aspect of the game was perfectly in tact. Looked fantastic compared to these ps2 ports.

Ridley327

Did the GoW games on PSP run at 60 FPS? I don't remember.

Very rarely. They were essentially 30 fps titles, and on top of that, they had a lot of screen tearing to help maintain the framerate (Ghost of Sparta, especially).

I got to the end of the first section, and I don't know if I can keep playing. On top of the framerate problems, there's definitely some wonky stuff going on with the input data, because it feels a lot less responsive than it did on either the PS2 or the PS3. Combos feel like an absolute crapshoot.

Top Bottom