• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection (Vita) |OT| Kratos in yo pocket at upscaled 544p

Respawn

Banned
Cross posting from another thread:

I'm playing this right now.

Framerate is definitely topping out at 30, and it's uneven on top of that. The fight against the harpies prior to the second hydra head encounter is a damn slideshow. Audio compression is also atrocious, and the FMVs aren't even formatted to fit the Vita screen. Definitely not impressed with this port so far.
Darn :(

nakedeyes

Banned
I have yet to see any portion of GoW1 running at native res. As I mentioned, the FMV isn't even formatted properly for the Vita's aspect ratio.

It seems like most of the reviews didn't bother to really examine the performance of the game, which I'm finding to be immensely subpar.

Damn it. Yeah I am finding it annoying that most Vita reviews don't typically touch on resolution as well. Had a hell of a time finding any answers on FFX as well. Thanks for the heads up.

DirtyLarry

Damn, was hoping to hear some better impressions overall.
I actually never completed God of War 01.

I actually rented it right when the PS3 was first released (had a Phat with backwards compatibility), however at the time I was so enamored with the at the time impressive graphics of Resistance: Fall Of Man that I stopped playing the lowly PS2 game pretty damn early on.

I then rented the Ultimate Collection when it was released on PS3 but went right to playing Part 2. Actually got pretty damn far with it but once again stopped playing for something else.

I was planning on finally checking out both games on the Vita. However I did once again rent it, so not sure there is any real urgency or need to play, so now that I am reading it has some questionable performance, looks like the truth of the matter is I may never play the first two God of War games.

RK128

Damn, was hoping to hear some better impressions overall.
I actually never completed God of War 01.

I actually rented it right when the PS3 was first released (had a Phat with backwards compatibility), however at the time I was so enamored with the at the time impressive graphics of Resistance: Fall Of Man that I stopped playing the lowly PS2 game pretty damn early on.

I then rented the Ultimate Collection when it was released on PS3 but went right to playing Part 2. Actually got pretty damn far with it but once again stopped playing for something else.

I was planning on finally checking out both games on the Vita. However I did once again rent it, so not sure there is any real urgency or need to play, so now that I am reading it has some questionable performance, looks like the truth of the matter is I may never play the first two God of War games.

The game is not unplayable on Vita, its not the Jak Collection :). The graphics I find are quite solid on Vita, the controls are good and the frame rate isn't bad at all (yes, there are drops...but they aren't super frequent). If you took advantage of the PS+ Trail Glitch, then it is a steal at the price of free :D. If you never owned the games and are considering buying this, then it's far from a bad deal; two great games that run good on the go.

Just keep in mind that this isn't a perfect port, but otherwise its a solid one :).

ILoveBish

What a snazzy op! I just got home and downloading GOW Collection to the vita now, i'll check in with my thoughts, ive played it on ps2 and ps3.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Cross posting from another thread:

I'm playing this right now.

Framerate is definitely topping out at 30, and it's uneven on top of that. The fight against the harpies prior to the second hydra head encounter is a damn slideshow. Audio compression is also atrocious, and the FMVs aren't even formatted to fit the Vita screen. Definitely not impressed with this port so far.
Dam. More info aboui this?

krae_man

Pointless touch controls whoo!

Seriously Sony, not needed. Everyone who has already played the game will automatically press the button to open chests, not use the touch screen.

Drago

Downloading now. Cross buy, yay! Though the collector in me still wants to get a boxed copy for the collection, lol. Never finished GoW1 HD on PS3 and didn't even play 2, so I will be doing so on Vita. I hope I'm not bothered by the technical issues, but I doubt I will be. I like playing Jak on Vita, I can handle anything. :p

Slowdowns? Why is this even a port to begin with? The SONY's collection are supposed to be the highest quality remasters and now it seems they can't even put more effort into it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The games play well and look very nice on Vita. If there's slowdown it doesn't hinder the game play much. Cut scenes are original resolution and don't fill the screen but I don't care much for it. Feels like a good port on both without taking part in much of the sensationalism created by the tone of the OP.

wilflare

Rear touchpad to open up chests.

man.. the game looks horrible.. this is my first time playing a GoW game ever...
is the PS3 HD Collection as bad? :/ sigh

they could at least update the UI to look native.. and the FMVs too (pillarboxed)

Takao

Banned
14123707501_2ca6979aa7_b.jpg

Just fired up some GOWII.

Reports of this being a terrible port are definitely exaggerated, the problem is mostly that the PS3 remains the finest HD remastering of all time, so this pales in comparison. Framerate is much more akin to the PSP games (which were completely playable) but does definitely take hits when things get busy. Otherwise the subnative res means things look soft. I still think it's great to see these setpieces on the OLED, but yeah it is a bit jarring after the razor sharp PS3 reduxes. The engine based FMV is a bit embarassing too, not sure how that passed muster.

Great to have it on vita, but as a port it's 7/10 fo sho.

Drago

Played the first game for about 10 minutes just now. Looks and plays fine, although I wish I wouldn't have to use the rear touch pad for anything. Oh well.

Everyone complaining about frame rate I just don't understand. It runs just as good as the PSP games and those were perfectly playable. I'd have to compare them to the originals to see what the big difference is, but these are at least a consistent 30FPS.

Yes the cutscenes are compressed to garbage, but the in game resolution is fine. Its not native, but it has a soft quality to it that doesn't make aliasing an issue.

The audio however is horrendous. While this is way more forgivable than if the frame rate was low, its still a little jarring. Were the originals this compressed? I don't remember that they were. At 3100MB, and with what I thought a 4GB limit, why didn't they loosen up on the compression? They had roughly 900MB more to work with...

Jesb

Should be a way for retail owners to get this too. Wouldn't mind trying this on Vita, but not going to buy it again. Wish I caught onto the glitch on time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well looks like I can skip this one. Too bad, so sad.

At least we know the Sly Collection turned out well :)

It's not as bad as some of the comments say. The devs did a good job. I do anticipate the Sly Collection and its hopeful cross buy prospects as I already own all 3 digitally on PS3.

KalBalboa

Banned
The reviews seemed fine. Are we sure 30 fps is really that bad...?

The cutscenes definitely could've been handled better, though.

rjc571

Banned

God of War screenshot or Jackson Pollock painting? You make the call!

Everyone complaining about frame rate I just don't understand. It runs just as good as the PSP games and those were perfectly playable. I'd have to compare them to the originals to see what the big difference is, but these are at least a consistent 30FPS.

For some people, a Vita port which only runs at half the framerate of the PS2 version of the game is unacceptable. These aren't a consistent 30 fps, either.

Ogawa-san

The audio however is horrendous. While this is way more forgivable than if the frame rate was low, its still a little jarring. Were the originals this compressed? I don't remember that they were. At 3100MB, and with what I thought a 4GB limit, why didn't they loosen up on the compression? They had roughly 900MB more to work with...
The actual limit is around 3.4GB, since carts have 10%-ish reserved to patches/saves.

Not sure why they didn't go the way of other collections and just packed a download code to the second game instead of cramming both and ending up having to make sacrifices like that. The compression is pretty jarring at times, but at least isn't everywhere.

JAF > Internet > JAF

Sweet OT, OP! Never been all that into God of War, but certainly plan on picking this up for the Vita. Awesome thread. ^_^

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Since I couldn't use the glitch for properly for free since I played the 60minute trial of GOW1 and it expired last time I had PS+ for 30days(when it was free after the outage), I just used the glitch get a 50% discount basically and get both PSV/PS3 collections for $15 by buying GOW1.

So now I can see if the collection really as bad as some of you are making it out to be or if the reviews or right(lot of good reviews surprisingly :p). If it's bad I at least still get the PS3 version of the collection to play through

Experien

Kind of glad I didn't pay for this. I have it on PS2 and PS3...sure, it is nice to have it portably accessible but it doesn't look that good.

Not a biggie but kind of disappointed there are no trophies :(

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I played this for 10 mins before re installing DOA 5+

No nostalgia factor for me, and vita memory at too much of a premium on a 16 gig card. Real choppy and real ugly.

Effnine

Played for about 20-30 minutes ... I just couldn't do it anymore ... To be fair, I played the originals back in the day, so this was more for curiosity ... I'd say if you've played the games before, then you probably won't get much from the Vita versions ... if it weren't for the memory card and worrying about sizes, I'd keep it, but I'd rather have other games on it now ... pretty much meh overall ...

Top Bottom