• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection (Vita) |OT| Kratos in yo pocket at upscaled 544p

tensuke

Hard G!!! Hard G!!!!

Nice OT though, I didn't even know this was coming out so soon. Too bad I missed the PSN glitch. :(

Manu

FEATUREZ:
  • Cross-Buy
  • Kratos in YO POCKET
  • 30 FRAMES PER SECOND DOWNGRADE
  • Sub 544p grafix
  • Brand new trophy list separate from the PS3 version
    [*]The envy of all your friends
  • Omega Symbol on your Vita live area
  • Parental Control level NINE

I'm dying, lol

KalBalboa

Banned
Thanks, helpful link.

NP.

I'm home now and wishing I was smart enough to have downloaded the PS+ versions of God of War 1 and 2 back in the day when they hit, but I already had the disc based versions and didn't see this coming. Ah well.

Does God of War 1 not have trophies? Its not showing up on my list.

Though i know for a fact God of War 1 on PS3 did have them..

whitehawk

Banned
If you haven't played the games yet, play them on the PS3. The Vita version are okay for a second play through.

Some screenshots:

God of War 1

joUhdMe.jpg

vsQIvJ1.jpg

ojiObah.jpg

God of War 2

KGU5ZiN.jpg

RnIYOBt.jpg

4hRXzOg.jpg

HdSkSrc.jpg

Flandy

Does God of War 1 not have trophies? Its not showing up on my list.

Though i know for a fact God of War 1 on PS3 did have them..

Yes it does. If you checked them on your Vita did you click "PS Vita System" or "PlayStation Network" while in the trophy app. Maybe you don't have wifi and were checking through the PSN section?

Here are some in-game screens I took from the intro area:

Here are some FMV samples, but I warn you that you may want to rip out your eyeballs after seeing them:

It's really hard to find any kind of positive to this port.

holy sh- you opened these in photoshop and shrunk them then blew them up like ten times right?

Ridley327

Looks fine by me, especially considering this is a PS2 game and it'll be running on a Vita-sized screen.

The Vita-sized screen does precious little to hide the porting problems they ran into with the sub-native resolution and especially the framerate. I can't say I've played all of the PS2 ports they've put out on the Vita thus far, but MGS HD is a considerable step up from what I've experienced thus far.

holy sh- you opened these in photoshop and shrunk them then blew them up like ten times right?

I didn't, but I think you just stumbled onto the technique that Sanzaru used to fit the FMVs into the space they had to work with. :D

Here's a stupid question for you guys... when you download the games, is there one or two bubbles on the home screen? (Think MGS HD Collection, where there's one bubble and when you launch it, you've then got the choice of MGS 2 or 3).

Ridley327

Here's a stupid question for you guys... when you download the games, is there one or two bubbles on the home screen? (Think MGS HD Collection, where there's one bubble and when you launch it, you've then got the choice of MGS 2 or 3).

Just one: you go to a game selection screen after booting it. I suspect that in a couple of months that they'll be available individually, but for right now, you have to get the whole kit 'n kaboodle.

Just one: you go to a game selection screen after booting it. I suspect that in a couple of months that they'll be available individually, but for right now, you have to get the whole kit 'n kaboodle.

Thanks! I'm in the EU, but I bought the PS3 collection on PSN a couple of years back. I'll check in tomorrow to see if I can download the Vita version for free.

Yes it does. If you checked them on your Vita did you click "PS Vita System" or "PlayStation Network" while in the trophy app. Maybe you don't have wifi and were checking through the PSN section?

its finally shown up right now that i rechecked.

However it is syncing incredibly slow.

Flandy

Is the port THAT bad? Like unplayable bad? (Jak Vita collection)?

I haven't played these and have my preorder paid off :(

I haven't played past the first 5 minutes of it, but from what I played it's still perfectly playable. I don't know if they frame rate will hold up during other parts of the game though.

oggob

Hopefully the digital version is still on track for tonight on the PAL store, seems like the AU boxed copy isn't available til the 14th May... :(

Ogawa-san

You have to tap to hold a door or hatch, but you have to mash circle to open.
You have to tap and hold to open chests.
You can't do either without touch controls.

It's a really petty thing to complain about, but seriously, why would they go the trouble of changing something so insignificant for worse? Instead of adding a touch option they straight up replaced traditional controls for that, just because.

Certinty

Greatest OT I've ever seen on here.

Is it confirmed those of us who received GoW1 for free with PS+ in Europe will get the first game for the Vita too at no additional cost? Blog says those who have bought the collection, so am wondering.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Is it just me or does GoW 1 not have any Beat The Game On X Difficulty Trophies? Now I don't know if I want Hard or Normal.

Fake Edit : Going with Hard Mode. Cuz why not?

nakedeyes

Banned
So I am looking at this review. It says:

While the game’s resolution is obviously not equal to its console counterpart (due to the Vita’s 960×544 pixel screen), it is certainly a drastic improvement over the PlayStation 2 releases. The vast majority of the game plays in high-definition, with certain in-game cutscenes displaying in standard-definition.

I don't even know who these guys are.. But I read that as that at least *some* of the game is in native vita Resolution? Is that the case? I can totally deal with sub native res for stints, but if the ENTIRE game is sub native, then I will have to wait for a really, exceptionally, rainy day before picking this up.

DAT OT. Good thing i got this for free lol, will play it for the trophies.

I wonder if the Challenge of the gods of GOW 1 got nerfed, that trophy was a bitch on PS3.

Ridley327

So I am looking at this review. It says:

I don't even know who these guys are.. But I read that as that at least *some* of the game is in native vita Resolution? Is that the case? I can totally deal with sub native res for stints, but if the ENTIRE game is sub native, then I will have to wait for a really, exceptionally, rainy day before picking this up.

I have yet to see any portion of GoW1 running at native res. As I mentioned, the FMV isn't even formatted properly for the Vita's aspect ratio.

It seems like most of the reviews didn't bother to really examine the performance of the game, which I'm finding to be immensely subpar.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Now I'm getting a message telling me its unavailable:

It's definitely something on their end. I guess it'll fix itself in a few hours or so.
I got GoW I and II for free when Sony accidentally gave it away and had the same message on the web store. Searching for the Collection on the Vita store shows them for free and I can download them. 3183 MB downloading now.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
My god... The framerate in non-enclosed areas is jank. The TouchPad thing is odd but unintrusive. And the resolution... are you sure it's higher than the PS2? Looks like a PSP game but most importantly, it's pretty fun. If you're not a massive GoW fan, you may be better served getting a Ninja Gaiden Vita game.

Nope.

It's a port of a port. Ps2 to ps3 to Vita. This is where the problem stems from, I'd imagine.

Hard to believe we were disappointed in Ninja Gaiden Vita when you see this. That offered beautiful image quality with the ps3 improvements at a sold 30 fps. 60 would have been great but every other aspect of the game was perfectly in tact. Looked fantastic compared to these ps2 ports.

And they fucked it up with the gyro aiming. Makes the tank section, communication tower and helicopter section nearly impossible.

AmanoBuff

FEATUREZ:
  • Cross-Buy
  • Kratos in YO POCKET
  • 30 FRAMES PER SECOND DOWNGRADE
  • Sub 544p grafix
  • Brand new trophy list separate from the PS3 version
    [*]The envy of all your friends
  • Omega Symbol on your Vita live area
  • Parental Control level NINE

OMG Must Buy!
Just kidding, I got it for free via cross-buy.

Great OT!

Hip Hop

downloading this now and it's my first time playing this series, ever.

If it's a bad port, I hope it doesn't taint the series for me.

Ridley327

downloading this now and it's my first time playing this series, ever.

If it's a bad port, I hope it doesn't taint the series for me.

If you have a PS3, you just got them via cross-buy, so play it on that instead. They're pretty no-frills, but they look and run better than they ever did on the PS2.

Zephyx

Great OT. This is the only OT that made me laugh like this. That Omega symbol in the live area is a killer. :D

Top Bottom