• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection (Vita) |OT| Kratos in yo pocket at upscaled 544p

Lmao.. this is what I get for getting a vita. I don't even care about the console anymore lol. Love the OT btw.
54FffxH.png

Darknight

Kinda sad PSP had actual GOW games instead of ports like this. VITA is such a train wreck. (yes PSP had ports too but it had a ton of original content, more so than VITA will ever get)

I'd advice Vita owners to buy this game when its on sale. Vita games will go on sale on point or another for like 50% atleast. Just be patient. There isnt enough content so it'll go on sale sooner than later. (unlike PS3 where there's so much content, not everything you want ends in sale or take a really long time to happen)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally getting a chance to sit down and play it. To be honest, graphically, it looks great on the Vita screen. I've never been a stickler for sub-native games anyway, but GoW 1 looks good to me (that's the only one I've started playing so far).

The control scheme seems to work well for the most part. I'm not having any problems with it yet. Feels good and responsive, which brings me to the framerate. It sucks that it's not 60 like the console version, but the 30 has been fine so far. I'm at the opening still, but I didn't notice any significant drops that hindered my playing. It's no Jak and Daxter or Ratchet: FFA. Those games had truly poor framerate (especially Ratchet; Jak was at least playable). GoW Collection is nothing like that.

I'm a huge God of War fan, so I'm ultimately very pleased with this collection being on the Vita.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Kinda sad PSP had actual GOW games instead of ports like this. VITA is such a train wreck. (yes PSP had ports too but it had a ton of original content, more so than VITA will ever get)

I'd advice Vita owners to buy this game when its on sale. Vita games will go on sale on point or another for like 50% atleast. Just be patient. There isn't enough content so it'll go on sale sooner than later. (unlike PS3 where there's so much content, not everything you want ends in sale or take a really long time to happen)

Different strokes for different folks
When I was on my PSP GOWs all I could think about was how much better it to have GOW1-2 instead on PSP, now Vita gives me that. GOW GoS was nice though, better than GOW3 imo.

Plus I got it and the PS3 version with a 50% discount from the glitch and everybody else in here seems to have gotten it for free through the glitch, past glitches, or already bought the collection digitally which gives them cross buy

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
After reading all the reactions here, I gotta say I'm surprised by how competent of a port it is. I do almost all of my gaming on a PC lately, and I think I've gotten to be pretty sensitive to poor framerates. Not having any issues here, aside from the harpy fight. There are definitely dropped frames, no denying it. It isn't bad enough to make the game unpleasant, though.

I'm happy with it.

breakfuss

After reading all the reactions here, I gotta say I'm surprised by how competent of a port it is. I do almost all of my gaming on a PC lately, and I think I've gotten to be pretty sensitive to poor framerates. Not having any issues here, aside from the harpy fight. There are definitely dropped frames, no denying it. It isn't bad enough to make the game unpleasant, though.

I'm happy with it.

Yeah, but did you pay for it?

Eusis

Different strokes for different folks
When I was on my PSP GOWs all I could think about was how much better it to have GOW1-2 instead on PSP, now Vita gives me that. GOW GoS was nice though, better than GOW3 imo.

Plus I got it and the PS3 version with a 50% discount from the glitch and everybody else in here seems to have gotten it for free through the glitch, past glitches, or already bought the collection digitally which gives them cross buy
Well, I would prefer original games on the system rather than being a port machine.

But God of War in particular has been writing itself into a corner, to me it's a mercy to just get ports. Better for wholly new games and IP to come rather than just watered down versions of console games, not unless that's a type of game that'd lend itself to handheld quite well (LBP most notably.)

Blearth

Banned
You have to tap to hold a door or hatch, but you have to mash circle to open.
You have to tap and hold to open chests.
You can't do either without touch controls.

It's a really petty thing to complain about, but seriously, why would they go the trouble of changing something so insignificant for worse? Instead of adding a touch option they straight up replaced traditional controls for that, just because.
Because there is no R2 on Vita.

Eusis

Do you have to tap on the item specifically, or just generically on the back pad? The latter's not really a big deal, the former... can be a problem.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Do you have to tap on the item specifically, or just generically on the back pad? The latter's not really a big deal, the former... can be a problem.

Generally. I haven't had any problems with it while using my Hori grip.

30fps and sub QHD!? Who ported this abomination?

I've heard there's cross play available for this, I own GOW 1 through PS+ would I have to purchase GOW2 for cross play to kick in?

Lucifon

Was going to pick this up for £20 but after hearing some of the comments versus the PS3 version I've grabbed the PS3 HD Collections of 1 & 2 along with God of War 3 (previously owned but I never did finish it) for £29.99. Now I've got the entire series playable on the one system in physical format, which matters to me in the long run.

Tinzo

Banned
Guys, this is my only chance to play the god of war games. i never had a playstation in my whole life until i bought the ps4 and after it got the vita too. shuld i get this? i really want to try god of war and i don't own a ps3. is it that bad? is it worth €30?

incpdo

Guys, this is my only chance to play the god of war games. i never had a playstation in my whole life until i bought the ps4 and after it got the vita too. shuld i get this? i really want to try god of war and i don't own a ps3. is it that bad? is it worth €30?

If you never played the original versions before, Do it!

ZServ

Eww. I was really looking forward to this, too. I probably could lived with 30 fps, but 30 fps and ugly is making me reconsider.

That's a pre-rendered cutscene.

It's not bad at all. I've found that we find ways to blow things out of proportion. Look up some YouTube gameplay, and if it looks sufficient to you, go for it. I played the originals on PS2, and then again on PS3, and I have no issues with the Vita collection.

Ghost of sparta is by far the best GOW game I would just get that instead.

I would bet you will be able to play this on the PS4 at some point. If Playstation now works, I would assume these would be some of the bigger selling points.

Unrelated, For some reason people think the Vita is a lot more powerful than it is. I love my Vita, but I get what it's capable of.

Ridley327

Didn't plenty of PS2 games run at 30 fps...?

God of War on PS2 wasn't exactly 60 fps all the time either.

The Vita version still runs significantly worse than it ever did on the PS2. If the point of these remasters is to present a classic game in a technologically superior way, then the Vita version of GoW is an absolute failure. I won't begrudge people for thinking that it's good enough, but at the end of the day, that's what the situation is, and it could have been a lot better if Sony gave a project like this a proper budget.

injurai

Banned

I'd advice Vita owners to buy this game when its on sale. Vita games will go on sale on point or another for like 50% atleast. Just be patient. There isnt enough content so it'll go on sale sooner than later. (unlike PS3 where there's so much content, not everything you want ends in sale or take a really long time to happen)

While I really enjoy having some of those games on the go, your are very much correct in this. It's hard to really dedicate X amount of hours to play an inferior version of a game you love. Much rather get new games. On the flipside the game that do come out seem to all sell really well. Hopefully the Vita doubles it's install base by the end of this year.

KalBalboa

Banned
The Vita version still runs significantly worse than it ever did on the PS2. If the point of these remasters is to present a classic game in a technologically superior way, then the Vita version of GoW is an absolute failure.

I'd argue the point was to make the games portable, but they probably could've done a better job overall. The grandfathering of the PS3 versions is cool and most reviewers seem largely ok with the frame rate.

Maybe I'm just exhausted by 30 fps hating on GAF.

While I really enjoy having some of those games on the go, your are very much correct in this. It's hard to really dedicate X amount of hours to play an inferior version of a game you love. Much rather get new games. On the flipside the game that do come out seem to all sell really well. Hopefully the Vita doubles it's install base by the end of this year.
And the thing is, can you imagine how good a Vita GoW would be? While the PS2 was more powerful in a number of ways, the Vita has been able to push graphics that exceed just about any PS2 game in Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, WipEout, Uncharted, and Tearaway. It's shockingly capable hardware when games are built specifically for it.

rjc571

Banned
I'd argue the point was to make the games portable, but they probably could've done a better job overall. The grandfathering of the PS3 versions is cool and most reviewers seem largely ok with the frame rate.

Maybe I'm just exhausted by 30 fps hating on GAF.

What if Sony ported the God of War collection to the PS4 and it only ran at 30 fps. Would you still be okay with that?

breakfuss

If there were no other option to play these I wouldn't complain, but why anyone would choose the vita over the vastly superior PS3 versions is beyond me. Maybe I'm just particular since it's my first time (didn't play on ps2).

Yes it is because that is how I bought it.

Hmm, okay. Well, thanks for letting me know - that's definitely how they usually label trials though. Cross-buy games aren't supposed to give a purchase option.

Edit: Now I've clicked buy on the trial version, the £19.99 one is simply showing 'download', so it worked. Strange!

injurai

Banned
And the thing is, can you imagine how good a Vita GoW would be? While the PS2 was more powerful in a number of ways, the Vita has been able to push graphics that exceed just about any PS2 game in Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, WipEout, Uncharted, and Tearaway. It's shockingly capable hardware when games are built specifically for it.

I hope the reason we haven't seen one is because they first want reinvent GoW with a new mythos. I'd much rather wait a bit longer for something that supplements a totally new GoW than more iterating on the same. Puting out a title as such would be more of a vita-seller than another Kratos side story.

jorgeton

If there were no other option to play these I wouldn't complain, but why anyone would choose the vita over the vastly superior PS3 versions is beyond me. Maybe I'm just particular since it's my first time (didn't play on ps2).

Because GoW on the go is pretty sweet? Nothing like killing a hydra to make the commute to work so much sweeter.

I think it's a pretty good port. Feels tight and responsive. The cut scenes in GoW 1 look like crap, but outside of them, game looks and runs well.

KalBalboa

Banned
And Vita ≠ PS2, either.

Why is it acceptable in your opinion for the Vita to get downgraded ports from less powerful systems, but not PS4?

Again: the Vita ≠ PS4 in terms of power, so I expect different performance and visuals from each.

The Vita gives me access to portable versions of these games, too, and the hardware costs roughly half that of the PS4. Getting trophies, portability, widescreen visuals, and cross-buy access to the PS3 versions is enough of a trade off for something like 30 FPS, not to mention the fact it's all for $30 at full price.

Top Bottom