• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

The Chef

Square Triangle said:
It's the same video that's included in the Ultimate edition and I think it's worth it for that price. It's something like 3300MB in HD, pretty informative.

Thanks for the clarification Ill definitely pick it up.

JB1981

Almost finished with God of War 3 .. I decided to begin a new playthrough of God of War 2 and the game design is vastly different. There is a lot of downtime in God of War 2, much more. And the combat arenas are much more open. I think God of War 2 throws a greater variety of enemies at you in the first 2 hours than God of War 3 does in the entirety of the game. I agree that God of War 3 has improved on the combat mechanics but I feel God of War 2 gives the player more time to breathe. The game universe feels 'fuller' and more open, more 'epic' really.

So far in my time playing God of War 3 there is not a section that matches the majesty of the Steeds of Time. Now that is God of War to me.

Mrbob

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Excellent tech piece on God of War 3 by Digital Foundry - not too many major spoilers:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii

Reading this made me want to make love to the entire SSM team. They may consider themselves forewarned. Fucking stunning work all round.

This is a nice read. Especially the info about the MLAA techniques Sony Santa Monica used. I honestly never heard of this technique before, but this sounds like something every PS3 developer should be doing from now on. God of War 3 really does look extremely clean. Helps the art pop out and shine even more. Nice idea of distributing usage on all the Cell threads to get the job done, and done well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Chef said:
This is a excellent write up:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii

Apparently Kratos character model has a significantly less amount of polys than Nathan Drake.

Thats amazing to me cause I would put his in-game model against almost all the FFXIII CG models I am seeing.

Furthering the Uncharted 2 comparison, it's also worth noting that ND didn't need to use a lower LOD model of Drake in Uncharted 2. The framerate took no hit so they didn't bother.

The Chef

JaseC said:
Furthering the Uncharted 2 comparison, it's also worth noting that ND didn't need to use a lower LOD model of Drake in Uncharted 2. The framerate took no hit so they didn't bother.

I bow to both of these studios. Absolutely tremendous stuff.

Kittonwy said:
Surprised Kratos doesn't have as high a polygon count as Drake, maybe it's the hair.
Indifferent2.gif
Fortune favors dat hair

Ezio

For those asking about the video on the PSN, yes it is the same as the one you get with the Ultimate Edition. As for if it's worth it, I definately believe so because as I posted before, it explains a lot about Greek tragedy and it helped me understand Kratos and the whole God of War series a heck of a lot better.

Ezio said:
For those asking about the video on the PSN, yes it is the same as the one you get with the Ultimate Edition. As for if it's worth it, I definately believe so because as I posted before, it explains a lot about Greek tragedy and it helped me understand Kratos and the whole God of War series a heck of a lot better.
Is there a youtubes like to it?

Question on Sub weapons:

What type of enemies/battles should the
Claws of Hades
and the
Nemesis Whip
be used for? It seems they would be both for large groups of weak enemies, but It seems to me the Blades do a much better job anyways

Arsenic

BlueScrote said:
Question on Sub weapons:

Claws of Hades
and the
Nemesis Whip
be used for? It seems they would be both for large groups of weak enemies, but It seems to me the Blades do a much better job anyways
You should focus on the magic they use, and higher combo outputs they can provide. Otherwise I look at them as just "fun" weapons, but very good ones.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm liking the game more than I thought I would. I mean, yeah, it's still the same old stuff with improved graphics. But it's fun. I'm starting to dislike Kratos more and more though. I understand that he's supposed to be a rather one dimensional character but he's starting to annoy me with his over the top "not my problem"-lines.

jett

D-Member
itsinmyveins said:
I'm liking the game more than I thought I would. I mean, yeah, it's still the same old stuff with improved graphics. But it's fun. I'm starting to dislike Kratos more and more though. I understand that he's supposed to be a rather one dimensional character but he's starting to annoy me with his over the top "not my problem"-lines.

Here's all the character development Kratos needs:

AAAAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Kittonwy

Banned
BlueScrote said:
Question on Sub weapons:

Claws of Hades
and the
Nemesis Whip

The gauntlets basically becomes the best weapon to use for most enemy types over the blades as soon as you get them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BumRush said:
Just got this today...how excited should I be????
Very.

Goddman! GODDAMN!!!

I must have took 30+ goes to do that fight scene with the spitting cerberus/Satyrs on Titan Mode. Jees! I thought I was never gonna do it.

JaseMath

Started...just got
judged by the three judges and stopped before entering that first portal to...where ever.

I'm a little upset that I kept dying (three times from the beginning to
the Poseidon battle
) more than I should have been in the beginning - I had to re-learn the controls and it kinda threw off the pacing for me. But god damn it...very awesome so far.

Square Triangle said:
It's the same video that's included in the Ultimate edition and I think it's worth it for that price. It's something like 3300MB in HD, pretty informative.

No. It is NOT worth that price. $2.99, maybe. $9.99? Hell FUCKING NO. All it is is a retrospective of the game feature philosophers talking about Greek mythology and how certain events of the game measure up to it.

If you've played GOW1/2, you don't need this "recap" in any way possible. Oh and did I mention it saves under "Games" and not "Videos" or as a DLC for the game? Shit annoying! It has a very shitty interface and you can't forward/rewind. Some chapters are wayy too small while some are wayy too fucking big and if you accidentally pause it, prepare to watch it all over again.

Zeliard

Only problem I have with this game is that I feel like I'm running through it too quickly. Feels like I'm near the end
(I just killed Hephaestion and got his weapon)
, and I'm the type who takes my time and doesn't usually beat games until quite a while after their release. Might just be me, but God of War 3 feels considerably shorter than God of War 2 (though, that game was pretty lengthy by genre standards).

Then again, I'm also into it a lot more than previous God of Wars, and so I simply want to (and do) play it more often.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zeliard said:
Only problem I have with this game is that I feel like I'm running through it too quickly. Feels like I'm near the end
(I just killed Hephaestion and got his weapon)
, and I'm the type who takes my time and doesn't usually beat games until quite a while after their release. Might just be me, but God of War 3 feels considerably shorter than God of War 2 (though, that game was pretty lengthy by genre standards).

Then again, I'm also into it a lot more than previous God of Wars, and so I simply want to (and do) play it more often.
You've still got a decent amount to go. I'd say you're about 70%.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RustyNails said:
Kratos just oozes badassery. I was also surprised to learn that he's 8 ft tall, from the developer video.

Wait, Kratos is nearly 2,5 metres tall? wtf :lol How tall would
Hercules
be then? 3 metres or more?

Combichristoffersen said:
Wait, Kratos is nearly 2,5 metres tall? wtf :lol How tall would
Hercules
be then? 3 metres or more?
I think
Hercules
and Hades are of same height. But character heights in GoW games rarely mattered...one day some God is as big as titan and on other days he's human sized. At the start of the game, Hades is about the same size as other gods, yet when you fight him he's twice that height.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
RustyNails said:
I think [/spoiler]Hercules[/spoiler] and Hades are of same height. But character heights in GoW games rarely mattered...one day some God is as big as titan and on other days he's human sized. At the start of the game, Hades is about the same size as other gods, yet when you fight him he's twice that height.
The gods can actually change in height.
Hercules
is always huge though.

Combichristoffersen

GuessWho said:
theres been update what does it do?

Fixes control issues.

RustyNails said:
I wonder why
Helios and Hermes didn't become titan sized like Poseidon to fight Titans/Kratos
:p

I'd guess it's because
Hermes
relied more on his speed rather than size and brute strength, while
Helios
suffered from a solid dose of hubris due to his divinity and the 'power of the
sun
'.

Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah, IIRC he wasn't a god, but a demigod, so I'd assume he's always Xbox Hueg (or Dude Huge, if you want).

He is a demigod in the mythology but I think the game hinted at
Hera being his mother (she's the one who summons him to fight Kratos), which would make him a full fledged god??
I could be wrong though...

Combichristoffersen

pistolpete2940 said:
Hera being his mother (she's the one who summons him to fight Kratos), which would make him a full fledged god??

Good point. You're right that the game hints towards
Hera
being his mother.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
pistolpete2940 said:
His mother is supposed to be mortal. His father is supposed to be Zeus... in traditional mythology, at least.
RustyNails said:
Kratos just oozes badassery.
Nah, he's a whiny bitch. He sure does love him some ultra-violence, though.

GeoramA

Those DF screens make me want to play this again.

I should start my Titan playthrough, but I can't tear myself away from Just Cause 2 :/

theignoramus said:
ps360 of beyond3d:

Poseidon Battle
Avg:39.921 Min-Max:30.0-57.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCQGI-nULY

Hades Battle
Avg:44.985 Min-Max:35.0-52.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imxVZkHS1Qc

Santa Monica would have blown Naughty Dog away had they not opted for a >30fps game.

There was room to improve graphics at the expense of frame rate. But I think they made the right call. With all the action, it seems like a hard line to follow, keeping fps locked at 30, while pushing up to the limit of what can be done. Watching the videos, there are plenty of scenes that drop right to exactly 30, so they are up to the edge, I guess what I'm saying is it's probably hard to add that extra level of eye candy to the scenes that are holding in the 40-50 range, and have it not possibly cause scenes that are already at 30, drop slightly below. The only criticism I can make at the graphics is once in a while, a texture wouldn't look as detailed as the rest. But the game is the most impressive looking PS3 exclusive IMO.

I was impressed to read in the eurogamer post mortem, one of the Santa Monica guys futher optimized the frame rate an average of 8% in the final week of development, after the 1st wave of review copies went out.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Death Dealer said:
There was room to improve graphics at the expense of frame rate. But I think they made the right call. With all the action, it seems like a hard line to follow, keeping fps locked at 30, while pushing up to the limit of what can be done. Watching the videos, there are plenty of scenes that drop right to exactly 30, so they are up to the edge, I guess what I'm saying is it's probably hard to add that extra level of eye candy to the scenes that are holding in the 40-50 range, and have it not possibly cause scenes that are already at 30, drop slightly below. The only criticism I can make at the graphics is once in a while, a texture wouldn't look as detailed as the rest. But the game is the most impressive looking PS3 exclusive IMO.

I was impressed to read in the eurogamer post mortem, one of the Santa Monica guys futher optimized the frame rate an average of 8% in the final week of development, after the 1st wave of review copies went out.

I noticed this as well, but seems to be related to texture streaming acting oddly at times. For example, when Kratos
climbs the huge chain for the first time (while going after Hermes), there is this cave with two eagle statues you go through.
As camera zooms in, textures are updated correctly.

Second time you do this (near the end of the game), camera zooms in again, but textures don't update accordingly. Even if you stop and wait there. They just stick with lower res.

gumshoe

Banned
Is anyone else playing using the weapon max glitch??

I just finished the poseidon princess section, and now I have to go to Aphrodite/Hephaestus and get the stone and make the Nemesis Whip in order to activate the platforms. But... I already have the whip :lol :lol :lol... So, is the game going to freeze when if I skip that whole section.

Think about it!! If I skip it, Cronos and Hephaestus live :O

yencid

so ive gotten up to hermes (and beat him) but i got a question (im sure this has been asked before) not all of the cinematics are ingame right? cus jesus christ....

Top Bottom