• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

I remember alot of feedback that GoW2 was TOO similar to the first game when it was released...I suppose some people are just more vocal in this thread. Fair enough

jett

D-Member
Beat it on Titan now, got the final boss on the first try, didn't even get to see all his special attacks this time. :lol I liked the game even more on my second run, the difficulty makes things a lot more satisfying. I still have issues with the final boss not being as epic as it should've been, but whatcha gonna do.

Only three dumb trophies away from Platinum.

The Chef

Any of you guys get this HD God of War Video on the PSN store for $9.99? Was it worth it?

jett said:
Beat it on Titan now, got the final boss on the first try, didn't even get to see all his special attacks this time. :lol I liked the game even more on my second run, the difficulty makes things a lot more satisfying. I still have issues with the final boss not being as epic as it should've been, but whatcha gonna do.

Only three dumb trophies away from Platinum.

I usually hate people that say dumb crap like this but the real way to play the game is on Titan it is so damn enjoyable. Its the perfect amount of difficulty since the game challenges your ability to switch weapons counter and dodge instead of just being cheap.

J-Roderton

I don't have a PS3 nor do I own this game but I played it at my friends house and it was amazing. I was blown away by it's awesomeness. I must have played it's first 25 min and it was so great. The mini game type finishing moves were so sick. The scale is really what is so great about it
fighting on the arm of a titan
I really want a PS3 slim now. Get this game.

I need someone to clarify this for me. In GOW2 and GOW3, is Kratos still considered the god of war (or at least a god)? It's been awhile since I've played GOW2, so forgive me if the question was answered in that game. If Kratos is technically still a god, it would help explain how he was able to defeat the other gods of Olympus so easily compared to Ares. If not, whatever, no big deal. :)

Dartastic

So, I finally got my friend to bring over his PS3 so I could play this on my 50-something inch awesome TV, due to my PS3 being broken, and my inability to find one in stock at Gamestop. All I have to say is HOLY FUCKING SHIT WTF OMG HOW THE...???!?!?!?!?!? WHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Jack Scofield said:
I need someone to clarify this for me. In GOW2 and GOW3, is Kratos still considered the god of war (or at least a god)? It's been awhile since I've played GOW2, so forgive me if the question was answered in that game. If Kratos is technically still a god, it would help explain how he was able to defeat the other gods of Olympus so easily compared to Ares. If not, whatever, no big deal. :)
He got his GOD powers absorbed into the Sword of Olympus. In GOW2 he received Titan powers.
He loses those Titan powers at the start of GOW3.
Well Kratos is a Demi-god and Gods probably require a measure of strength to kill and Kratos probably had it all along or it's his flexibility that makes him so powerful.

Talking about of my ass of course.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Papercuts said:
Is there a particular reason people seem to WANT this glitch fixed? I think it's awesome!

It's a lot of fun, I agree... but it makes trophies (especially "Unhuman") stupid easy to get. Not to mention the bugs, of course! It'll always be there, though -- you can just skip the patch.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Little glitch I just witnessed. Luckily not game breaking.

2crozo8.jpg

BeeDog

Tried playing the game on Titan mode a bit over at a friend's place the other day, and had trouble passing the first boss.
How do you successfully dodge his lightning attacks? Can't seem to master it.

BeeDog said:
Tried playing the game on Titan mode a bit over at a friend's place the other day, and had trouble passing the first boss.
How do you successfully dodge his lightning attacks? Can't seem to master it.

roll and double jump+glide

psy18

Just got the game. Disappointed with the lack of "oomph" in SFX department, especially when compared to that other quite awesome multiplatform copycat.
I just hope everything else can make up for that.

MrPliskin said:
Similar things happen in both GoW1 and 2 where you revisit the same areas throughout the course of the game, be they puzzles or something else. I think a lot of people are giving the past titles a free pass in light of their 'expectations'. All of the games are on an even playing field because they all have different faults and different strengths.

I don't think I'm giving the other 2 games a free pass. I *just* played them both. God 1 had its own problems (namely camera problems, Hades, and last phase of the last boss fight), but God 2 is definitely better than this game. It is just better paced.

He is absolutely right: God 3 has certain HOLY SHIT moments which are unsurpassed. The rest of it is like the other games. However, its pacing is not as good. The concept of the puzzles isn't as good. Its story is not as good. Basically, it's got higher highs, lower lows, and it's rather more uneven.

Great game, but I'm not going to remember this as an all-time classic. Definite visual benchmark, though.

Anyway, I agree with Rez completely.

Man

V_Ben said:
fixes some control issues apparently.
TDMoss: "patch 1.01 fixes the Chest / Icarus Wing jump bug that occurs on wireless controllers in certain circumstances."

I'm asking myself if there exists wired controllers.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
nskinnear said:
Hmm, I think it's hidden in all of my games (never played PoP or SH).

After turning off my laptop and going to bed last night, I realized there aren't even trophies in Homecoming :lol But it's not hidden in PoP 08.

Jack Scofield said:

No, he lost his godly powers at the beginning of GoW 2. He is still, however, a demigod.

Johnas said:
It's about time you played this. Assuming you've been only playing FFXIII lately.

What's the final verdict on FF XIII? I kind of want to buy it to give me my FF fix, but after the extremely negative backlash making it seem just as shitty as FF X was, I don't know if it's worth it, really..?

Eliciel

nelsonroyale said:
I remember alot of feedback that GoW2 was TOO similar to the first game when it was released...I suppose some people are just more vocal in this thread. Fair enough

Isn't there always someone who can't stand a game?There is no game that can receive a throughout 100% recommendation from everyone. I personally think that Santa Monica has set the bar high in every single God of War title. They tried their best to deliver and for 95% of their ideas I would stick my neck out for them at any time.

Bottom line is that God of War III definitely delivered what Santa Monica announced:

Epic Scale
Fun Gameplay (remember Stig...saying that over and over again)
Puzzles as well as Sex mini game

I mean seriously they listened to the fans and for me this is one defining experience and I would recommend this game to everyone who owns a Tr3y.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wow the last third of the game is completely underwhelming, especially the last few bosses.

And for the first time ever in a GoW game, I actually ENJOYED the combat :lol .. the meat shields you fight are still boring though.

Hades
was fuckin' awesome!.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Combichristoffersen said:
What's the final verdict on FF XIII? I kind of want to buy it to give me my FF fix, but after the extremely negative backlash making it seem just as shitty as FF X was, I don't know if it's worth it, really..?
umm... it's complicated. I actually think it's pretty damn good at what it does, but recommending it to others isn't something I'd feel comfortable doing.

My advice is to rent it and play through to and including Chapter 3. If you're liking the combat (which opens up in Chapter 3), it is worth sticking around for, but if you just hate everything about the game then there isn't really much in the first 25 hours that will change your mind.

If you hated FFX, then I would be very, very surprised if you liked this.

(Even though I thought X was not so great and I really enjoyed my time with XIII. So, yeah, confusion. Just rent and decide for yourself.)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Rez said:
umm... it's complicated

I actually think it's pretty damn good at what it does, but recommending it to others isn't something I'd feel comfortable doing.

My advice is to rent it and play through to and including Chapter 3. If you're liking the combat (which opens up in Chapter 3), it is worth sticking around for, but if you just hate everything about the game then there isn't really much in the first 25 hours that will change your mind.

Problem is, there's nowhere to rent games around here, and it seems like there are few, if any, stores left in Norway that are dealing with video game rentals (everything was better when I was young, when we'd rent a Mega Drive with Sonic 2 and play the shit outta the game AND GET OFFA MY LAWN YOU FILTHY KIDS!). The combat actually seems to be the most interesting part about the game. It's supposed to be like the combat in FF XII (which I loved), only on a separate battle screen?

I'm trying to decide whether to go for FF XIII, Dante's Inferno (for more God of War gameplay) or a PSP just to play GoW: CoO :p

acevans2

Yesterday immediately after the patch, I tried to load an Autosave file and it hung on the loading screen forever.

Just now I am on
the top of the Labyrinth with Pandora
and it hung on loading for 3 minutes or so and I turned it off. Anybody else having troubles with this? 60GB BC PS3

Reloaded, and it froze trying to load the save screen at the beam of light in that spot.

What is the deal?

tzare

Just finished the game yesterday. WoW
sure it can be improved, but the game is outstanding. The 'worst' thing may be that it tries to end the trilogy so in goes a bit too much on the narrative/cutscene side (like MGS4 but not thath much of course) and that does not fit Kratos very much. Finding notes on the floor Resident Evil Style was a bit strange too.

Because of that different style, i found the game to have less combat, however gameplay has improved, combat is ver organic yet still brutal, weapons are awesome, so are subweapons , and art is just otustanding. I'd love to see more stages and variety but with with previous games almost everything had been explored so there was no much else to put in the game. Also, every level is so rich and has such detail i doubt it could be done without killing their budget :D

So far for me GOW3=GOW2>GOW>>>GOW CoO

but being all of them must have games everybody should try at least once.

For some reason I can't download 1.01 or pass it to get to the game without my PS3 freezing/rebooting. For like the past 2 weeks the PSN has been a gigantic piece of shit with all the errors its been giving me.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I dunno if this is a known bug or not, but it happened to me on the
interactive
ending scene ..
you know, the one where you have to punch Zeus's face.. I was basically punching him for 3+ minutes with the whole screen covered in blood, and it didnt stop untill I restarted the PS3 after I got tired :lol

tzare

Yurt said:
I dunno if this is a known bug or not, but it happened to me on the
interactive
ending scene ..
you know, the one where you have to punch Zeus's face.. I was basically punching him for 3+ minutes with the whole screen covered in blood, and it didnt stop untill I restarted the PS3 after I got tired :lol

once the screen gets red (or if it is your first play the trophy for killing Zeus appears) you can stop and the game will go on :D

joesmokey

Just got back from Spring Break. Finally able to play this one! Having Spring Break mid-to-late March certainly wasn't good timing this year!

The Chef said:
Any of you guys get this HD God of War Video on the PSN store for $9.99? Was it worth it?

It's the same video that's included in the Ultimate edition and I think it's worth it for that price. It's something like 3300MB in HD, pretty informative.

Afrikan

justjohn said:
im waiting for my 50inch plasma to be delivered so i get cracking on this game, but the fucking driver is still not here..

50in Plasma? you are in for a wonderful treat my friend.

I presume you also have a nice sound system.

This is where all that investment pays off, along with other games and films.

man what the hell is up with this game?
3 weeks without a TV, I finally get to play.. I am early in the game in Hades and the game feels that it lost it's soul compared to GoW1 and GoW2

I passed the River Sticks and the early Hades stage (passed the 3 Judges bit) .. it is so boring down here in this stage

I know GOW games always have a boring 2nd stage (2nd chapter) but does it get more interesting than this?

I will finish the game and post my impressions later.. but so far Chains Of Olympus is trumping it in the fun factor.. I hope it gets better

Goldrusher

Yeah, there's a bit of storytelling down there, but you're close to
fighting Hades and moving on to faster paced chapters.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Excellent tech piece on God of War 3 by Digital Foundry - not too many major spoilers:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii

Reading this made me want to make love to the entire SSM team. They may consider themselves forewarned. Fucking stunning work all round.

so, GoW3 MLAA is the result of SSM working together with Sony UK tech group. can I assume that any new project by Sony (at least SCEA and SCEE) from now on will use this new MLAA method? I hope so.

Canova

Banned
I can't believe people prefer GOW2 over GOW3. Other than length of the game, GOW2 has nothing on this.

When I played GOW2, I was like just let the game end already, it's one massive bore-fest full of unnecessary boring puzzles. Just to open a simple gate, not even a major gate, you need to drag a pedestal, set it on a switch so gate don't close. Or just to climb a simple ledge you have to drag another pedestal, and they send you on a dungeon-quest to find that one stupid pedetal etc, etc. So stupid

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Callibretto said:
so, GoW3 MLAA is the result of SSM working together with Sony UK tech group. can I assume that any new project by Sony (at least SCEA and SCEE) from now on will use this new MLAA method? I hope so.

Providing other engines have the SPU processing power to spare, I can definitely see it taking off. The results speak for themselves.

Top Bottom