• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Johnas

Doc Evils said:
New patch made Titan mode easier. I can confirm this with the last boss.:D

Are you serious? What happened exactly? Just fewer hits/more damage?

I finished Titan a couple of nights ago, I'm curious.

gumshoe

Banned
NOOOOOOO

I downloaded the new patch!! Why did I do that?? :(

I tried to see what would happen if I destroyed the chain of balanace when you first go to Hades, and the game freezed.

edit: hmmm... it seems that was already happening before the patch.

gumshoe

Banned
Is this note from Kratos's mother?? o_O

I don't have the entire quote, but she talks about how everything he touches suffers, his wife, his child, and his brother.

"I failed him; As a mother, asa human being. His sins are mine to bear. Punish me for his shortcomings, and grant my son redemption."

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Johnas said:

He's imagining things. The patch was to fix the controller issues some people are having.

PowderedToast

gumshoe said:
NOOOOOOO

I tried to see what would happen if I destroyed the chain of balanace when you first go to Hades, and the game freezed.

just for future reference you can delete patches that you've downloaded. they're in the install game data section.

Thrakier

Rez said:
*shrug*

God 2 just felt a lot more consistent to me. I've never played God of War games on anything above Normal, so the combat has always been a means to an ends. God 2 just had more original, interesting settings and scenarios, whereas God 3 feels like it's just returning to the well repeatedly.

Granted, it did have some very cool 'ho-a-ly shit' moments throughout, but that's the thing: they were these moments that I think about as a separate, isolated parts of the game, rather than as one giant, well-laid out incline that IS the game, ala God 2.

I agree. With sad panda face. :(

gumshoe said:
Is this note from Kratos's mother?? o_O

I don't have the entire quote, but she talks about how everything he touches suffers, his wife, his child, and his brother.

"I failed him; As a mother, asa human being. His sins are mine to bear. Punish me for his shortcomings, and grant my son redemption."
Yes sir

HeySeuss

I haven't waded through all the pages of this thread, but I just downloaded the demo. Having never played the first 2 games of the series, this seems like a highly polished beat-em-up action game. Seems like it does it well, but does the final game let you control the camera?

That was kind of bothersome to me. Other than that it seems like a solid game.

Afrikan

I forgot about this thread :lol

I've been on media blackout ever since I found out Geoff visited Santa Monica for G4 that week....since then nothing notta...no threads, no websites.....a couple of forum members had new gifs and sigs that I'd noticeed for a quick sec before quickly leaving....besides that most of the game seemed entirely new.

anyway it was worth the media blackout, what a wonderful game......everytime Kratos goes for a big finishing kill, I get into it and stand up....release the buttons, while screaming along.

There were multible times where I couldn't believe what I was seeing on my TV, beautiful game.

I can't imagine what Team ICO and Guerrilla are going to cook up next.

Just finished the game first time through on Titan difficulty and I feel like this is my least favorite of the three GoW games. Sure, the game had some epic moments and the combat is definitely refined compared to how the previous GoW games played, but the over package just left me with an empty feeling. I was not impressed with this game at all. It feels exactly like GoWII only on a larger scale, obviously. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The core mechanics and level design still engage you enough, but there was absolutely no "wow" factor for me in this game.

The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of content. What happened to the polish and cool design of the Treasure room in the previous GoW games? There are like NO unlockables in this game. Apparently completing Chaos, the hardest difficulty, unlocks nothing. WTF!? I hate the red text they use for the menus as well, it just seems off to me. There are no cool locked icons next to the unlockables, the challenges don't rank you anymore, plus there are not as many as there used to be. No new game+, ONE costume unlock, are you serious? I guess I shouldn't be surprised in the age of DLC, but still, you know, a game called Bayonetta exists now and has these EXPECTED features covered.

I like the collectible artifacts that act as replacements for the GoWII urns, but still. All the menus and "content" seems extremely last minute. From that standpoint I am very disappointed. Yeah, the game looks great, the story direction is subjective, the combat is most definitely refined, but it just doesn't feel like the ultimate GoW title. As far as action games go this year, Bayonetta steam rolls this game by a long shot.

jett

D-Member
Oh man at the aMAZEd trophy...I just reached the gauntlet of neverending enemies in that part of the game, everytime I reload my game I have to watch the same cut-scene again and again. :|

Shick Brithouse said:
How often does it become an issue?

Almost never, really. The GOW series is known for having probably the best non-controllable camera in the genre.

Johnas

I can't even come close to finishing the "Bare Hands" challenge.

I know it boils down to grab with circle, ram with square, but there's just too much to do and not enough time. I get maybe one of the hammer guys finished, or the troll and neither hammer guy, with still a lot of regular enemies left.

I've tried it with and without doing the QTEs.

EDIT-Time just ran out with one enemy left. >_<

HeySeuss

Cool thanks guys. In the demo the camera was bothersome at the first man-bird thing that you chain yourself to to float over the gap. I failed the first time and fell into a space where it took awhile to jump out of due to the camera working against me.

Good to hear it's not an issue.

Johnas said:

I know it boils down to grab with circle, ram with square, but there's just too much to do and not enough time. I get maybe one of the hammer guys finished, or the troll and neither hammer guy, with still a lot of regular enemies left.

A) Never do the QTEs
B) Try and back the large enemies up against the ledges and stun them off the edge using one of the grunts as a battering ram.

jett

D-Member
Johnas said:

What you have to do is try to push them off the ledge. There's not enough time to actually kill them.

kikanny

Johnas said:

Its possible man. If I could do it, you could too! Keep trying.

MrPliskin

Banned
Rez said:
*shrug*

God 2 just felt a lot more consistent to me. I've never played God of War games on anything above Normal, so the combat has always been a means to an ends. God 2 just had more original, interesting settings and scenarios, whereas God 3 feels like it's just returning to the well repeatedly.

Granted, it did have some very cool 'ho-a-ly shit' moments throughout, but that's the thing: they were these moments that I think about as a separate, isolated parts of the game, rather than as one giant, well-laid out incline that IS the game, ala God 2.

Similar things happen in both GoW1 and 2 where you revisit the same areas throughout the course of the game, be they puzzles or something else. I think a lot of people are giving the past titles a free pass in light of their 'expectations'. All of the games are on an even playing field because they all have different faults and different strengths.

MrPliskin

Banned
jett said:
What you have to do is try to push them off the ledge. There's not enough time to actually kill them.

False, I've done it, but it requires you use one enemy to corner the first two hammer guys and hit them with the same guy (their hit box is large enough).

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
gumshoe said:
NOOOOOOO

Anything you do to sequence break the game with the "New Game +" glitch will crash it/make it impossible to continue except for
skipping acquiring the bow and activating the bridge outside Aphrodite's chambers to skip the Cronos fight.

Edit: So the patch doesn't fix the glitch? Dang.

Get stone took me at least 7 tries. Health was a big issue at the end. I ended up freezing most enemies except for 1 gorgon and a few harpies for the 9th and the 10 I had 3 gorgons stoning me.

MrPliskin

Banned
Johnas said:
Got it with 12 seconds to spare.

Thanks guys.

Now I just have Get Stoned left.

Get Stoned is ridiculously easy. Just counter the gorgons when they do the stare, and don't do the QTE. You'll stone instantly and you can usually plan when you do it when no enemies are around. When two gorgons are on screen, counter the first, then let the second stone you so there are fewer enemies spawned (they have a "timer" between spawns IIRC). I got this one on my first try (well, I got all of them on my first try except the bare hands and 5 cyclops challenge).

Johnas

MrPliskin said:
Get Stoned is ridiculously easy. Just counter the gorgons when they do the stare, and don't do the QTE. You'll stone instantly and you can usually plan when you do it when no enemies are around. When two gorgons are on screen, counter the first, then let the second stone you so there are fewer enemies spawned (they have a "timer" between spawns IIRC). I got this one on my first try (well, I got all of them on my first try except the bare hands and 5 cyclops challenge).

Yeah, I haven't tried it that many times, I was just commenting in general. I had no idea about the instant stoning, however, that's interesting.

I really had no trouble with any of the other challenges. 5 Cyclops was arguably the easiest one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ballistictiger said:
Get stone took me at least 7 tries. Health was a big issue at the end. I ended up freezing most enemies except for 1 gorgon and a few harpies for the 9th and the 10 I had 3 gorgons stoning me.
I didn't fight anything except for grappling the zombies so they give you health. You're immune to being frozen when you are grabbing them. I grabbed the gorgons to make them instantly try to freeze me when the coast was clear. It's pretty easy once you realize that you can control when the gorgons stone you. Took me a ton of time to realize that though. :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ballistictiger said:
These challenges were nothing compared to GOW1 the last one. Kill all enemies without getting hit.
I haven't even completed all of the challenges in the others. It took me less than an hour to get all of these ones. They're mostly fun and I really liked that you could pick and choose instead of having to complete them all in a set order.

Banned
Rez said:
yeah, I guess if that's the reason you're playing the game, I can see where you're coming from.

To me, I get my actual 'deep action combat character action third-person combat action game game combat' hit from other games, so God of War is really more of an action-adventure in my mind, in the same category as an Uncharted or something, as opposed to something like a Bayonetta.

I'm in God of War for the adventure, whereas I get my deep, complicated combat fix from games that are particularly designed to accommodate and reward me for playing that way. The reward I get from God of War isn't from getting a high-score or something (you can't even get a high score in the campaign, I know), it's from seeing the next moment. The game is designed in such a way to suggest to me that the experience isn't actually about the combat. The base experience would probably be near identical to me if the combat was replaced with stop and pop shooting segments, you know?

Brilliant fucking post.

Banned
MrPliskin said:

I forgot about this one. This challenge is kinda broken as well. When you get stoned by using this technique, you can get hit and not get killed.

Doc Evils

Johnas said:

I was trying to do the 2nd part like 50 times. I rage quit and then install patch and voila, he goes retarded allowing me to beat him in my first go.:lol

Johnas

Get Stoned is done.

Just a few trophies left, I might as well go for Platinum I guess.

Doc Evils said:
I was trying to do the 2nd part like 50 times. I rage quit and then install patch and voila, he goes retarded allowing me to beat him in my first go.:lol

It's weird, I had less trouble on that part on Titan than I did on Normal. I had the advantage of playing through the game once for sure, but I expected a lot more frustration.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aokage said:
Anything you do to sequence break the game with the "New Game +" glitch will crash it/make it impossible to continue except for
skipping acquiring the bow and activating the bridge outside Aphrodite's chambers to skip the Cronos fight.

Edit: So the patch doesn't fix the glitch? Dang.

Is there a particular reason people seem to WANT this glitch fixed? I think it's awesome!

Top Bottom