• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

rvy

Banned
BeeDog said:
Sorry, brainfart. :lol Very strange I must say. Did the skins in the store require a special disc code for the game?
No, they just download, activate and install. And they keep doing this with no problem, but they don't show up. I'm hoping someone with a limited edition can tell me if the costumes are available from the beginning if you downloaded them, regardless of starting a new game or not.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Thought i'd post a pic of the Deimos skin if people are curious about it

0186b90a.jpg

carlosp

Banned
WTF shit looks insanely good. I cant believe those idiots didnt put any DLC out. I have paid up to 15 € to any 3 hour DLC. There is so much life and so much to tell in GoWs universe. Like I said before just tell the story of his brother Herc and how he got those Lion things.

rvy said:
Deleted every update and saved data from my PS3, re-downloaded everything again and still nothing, except now I can't even access the costumes in the bonus sections. Fuck my life.

Well deleting the saved data means you deleted your clear save which means you can't access the skins until after you beat the game for the "first time".

scoobs

Playing this game again I really don't think any game looks half this good. Its in a league of its own on consoles. So glad i didn't sell this one, loving my 2nd playthrough!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
AltogetherAndrews said:
Between this and Uncharted 2, it's really insane how much technical and artistic talent Sony has available.

Yea, this together with uncharted 2 and killzone (and GT5 soon) really shows off what amazing potential the PS3 hardware has when developers can make it sing. It is just too bad that so few third parties are able to take advantage of the hardware. No other 3rd party game even comes close.

(I'm sorry castlevania fans, that game may have some artistic merits, but it is nowhere close)

edbrat

AltogetherAndrews said:
Between this and Uncharted 2, it's really insane how much technical and artistic talent Sony has available.

I am playing through GoW 3 again having torn through GoW 1 and 2 in the last few days (dl'd the HD collection from PSN). Decided to give hard level a try and its pretty well done - have not been able to get past phase 2 of final final boss battle in GoW 1 unfortunately and a few of the bosses require some time and patience but generally its a lot of fun.

These games are pretty familiar to me now but GoW 1 and 2 still blew me away (perhaps my 3d or 4th playthrough for each) and I was still stuck on a load of the puzzles! I remember going through the first time and some of these puzzles took me hours and hours but finally working it out was so satisfying. Some of the environmental puzzles are mindblowingly well done and fit so well with the story and setting. GoW 2 HD version is absolutely stunning visually. I also forgot how long these games are (without much discernible "filler").

Enjoying GoW3 a lot, it is stunning and Kratos is perhaps at his most "human" character wise. The opening half hour is explosive but there are times where there is so much going on the screen as a titan does a backflip and you are changing perspective all the time. Think GoW3 lacks a bit of the "epic-ness" of the puzzles in the first two so far and it starts getting noticeable that the combat has barely evolved but its still fun so perhaps a decent design call. Love the camera work in 3 esp when it focusses on Kratos and he fills your screen when you're squeezing through gaps. Think I have a few hours left (just killed
the speedy god
), will try and polish this off tonight then back to the bit in vietnam in black ops which pissed me off a couple of days back :lol

rvy

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Well deleting the saved data means you deleted your clear save which means you can't access the skins until after you beat the game for the "first time".
I cried when I realized that. Thanks for the help btw.

Is anyone else in the position of not being able to enjoy the new Castlevania, after being spoiled by the GOW games? I've been looking forward to Lords of Shadow all year, and now I've got it, just everything from the visuals, the design, the story and the combat all seem horribly sub-par, to the point where I'm going to return it this week.

It's also exacerbated by the fact that I'm playing Ghost of Sparta as well, a freaking masterpiece that has better/more balanced gameplay than even GOWIII, if not visuals.

I thought I'd be able to enjoy other games of the same type like I do with other genres, but in my mind Kratos has gutted and dismembered two Dante's and a Gabriel. Will nothing stop him?

I'd imagine that it's like playing other shooters after a few rounds of co-op firefight in Reach. When something is expertly made, to the point where it feels like it was just instinct through and through, then it's hard to give similar games much of a break. Also why I gave Dante's Inferno such a hard time; it's not that I don't want a game that beats God of War at what it does, but if you're going to try, then you had damned well better bring the big guns and succeed.

Zzoram

Im stuck in the Labyrinth, the room that rotates with spike floors. My first playthrough is on Titan. I think I'm just going to give up and trade the game in, it's good but not THAT good and this room is driving me crazy.

I've beaten Ghost of Sparta and I still like GoW 3 more, even the pacing and balance is better in GoW3 imo. there's no puzzles at all in Ghost of Sparta, and the new weapon and magic are not very fun or satisfying to use. level design is also not very memorable, it don't have many epic setpieces, although the story set pieces is very memorable. sparta and ending sequence is just so new, fresh and cool

carlosp

Banned
Zzoram said:
Im stuck in the Labyrinth, the room that rotates with spike floors. My first playthrough is on Titan. I think I'm just going to give up and trade the game in, it's good but not THAT good and this room is driving me crazy.

use that green retor weapon and so you can keep staying in the air and then move. Quite easy. I found titan mode so easy, that I double checked quite sometimes to be sure it didnt change the dificulity on its own.

Oh shit, the demo segment is now hot stuff. And holy shit at the Ikarus vent sequence, smooth and so damned pretty. These dudes should make a Star Wars game or something.

fixuis said:
They really need to get dlc out for this game soon. Such potential and they aren't using it.

Sony have made some silly DLC decisions this gen.

GOW III needed some.
inFAMOUS needed some.
Uncharted needed some.
Killzone 2's was too expensive and split the userbase etc.

Nizz

Saw the bump and it's awesome people are still enjoying the game. GOW3 is the only game I've gotten the platinum trophy for. I loved it that much. :)

Is there a group of pics somewhere showing all the skins Kratos can wear? I've seen the Deimos one above and it looks hot.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Itchy//Tasty said:
Is anyone else in the position of not being able to enjoy the new Castlevania, after being spoiled by the GOW games? I've been looking forward to Lords of Shadow all year, and now I've got it, just everything from the visuals, the design, the story and the combat all seem horribly sub-par, to the point where I'm going to return it this week.

I like the new Castlevania, but it can't compete with the insane polish of the GoW games. And after the excellent use of static camera angles in the GoW series, the camera in Castlevania seems absolutely terribad.

You know what SSM needs to do? Come out with a GOW3: GOTY director's cut version of the game which adds more titan sequences. I was always bummed out by how they're all picked off one by one with ease off the mountain by the gods. It would have been nice if Kratos needed to hop to the electric guy for a bit to help him which would add all kinds of crazy electrical traps to avoid. He'd be there up until he's knocked off which leads to Kratos coming back to Gaia to do some more defending on her and then off to another titan etc. As a director's cut, it'd be easy to splice these in without shitting on the story/progression of the opening.

Add in an official battle with Helios an a more dynamic Hermes sequence and it'd be the best GOW by far. They can then add an additional epilogue to set up where they want to go with a possible sequel.

Shinjitsu

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
You know what SSM needs to do? Come out with a GOW3: GOTY director's cut version of the game which adds more titan sequences. I was always bummed out by how they're all picked off one by one with ease off the mountain by the gods. It would have been nice if Kratos needed to hop to the electric guy for a bit to help him which would add all kinds of crazy electrical traps to avoid. He'd be their up until he's knocked off which leads to Kratos coming back to Gaia to do some more defending on her and then off to another titan etc. As a director's cut, it'd be easy to splice these in without shitting on the story/progression of the opening.

Add in an official battle with Helios an a more dynamic Hermes sequence and it'd be the best GOW by far. They can then add an additional epilogue to set up where they want to go with a possible sequel.

You realize how much that would cost them?

Shinjitsu said:
You realize how much that would cost them?

Less than they made selling GOW3?

Besides, this is just me thinking as if this was in their plans initially. Not something they'll decide to do right now or eventually.

Just beat Reach and man I have a hard time picking my GOTY now. I still think its GOW though the spectacle is sheer insanity. Plus its the only game in a long time I have played through to get every last trophy.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
IonicSnake said:
They should give Deimos his own game, he looks fucking epic!

That would be cool. I would play that game.

Combichristoffersen said:
I like the new Castlevania, but it can't compete with the insane polish of the GoW games. And after the excellent use of static camera angles in the GoW series, the camera in Castlevania seems absolutely terribad.

I agree but i know I'll get punched for agreeing with you.

edbrat

Zzoram said:

Did this today on titan, its a bit of a bitch but not too bad. First, get mobile. If you are on a spiked area and they are just about to pop, double jump and glide or roll - don't ever let yourself get boxed in. Making sure you don't get trapped by weight of numbers is more important than killing in this room because the spikes will do that for you plenty. I liked the jump and right stick dash when in the air as well in this room for keeping moving. In the first phase you should aim to get past without using magic or rage, hit the harpie at the end with L1 + O and you are golden.

Second room has bitchier enemies and its easy to get ground down, again MOVE all the time and don't get boxed in. Don't use grab moves (take too long), be VERY careful where you use magic unless it is a quarter you know won't get spikes when you use it. Again it is way more important to keep moving rather than killing. Don't initiate attacks which take any time at all. Stay cool and don't get flustered and you will get through. You don't have long left after that, stick at it Spartan :)

Combichristoffersen

neojubei said:
I agree but i know I'll get punched for agreeing with you.

Why would you get punched for agreeing that Castlevania lacks the polish and excellent camerawork of GoW 3? :p I would think most people would agree with those things. Castlevania being an overall better game than GoW 3, however, that is debatable. Some think so, which I'm fine with, even if I would disagree.

I said this in the CV thread, but even though I loved playing through Lords of Shadow, it really made me appreciate the level of polish Santa Monica puts into the gameplay. Where CV:LOS really struggles for me is the gameplay all gelling together. In GoW3 you always know where to go, what platform to jump to, which ledge to hang off of. And the combat is the same thing. The little things, like the enemy tells when they attack, or attack patterns in general, just make GoW3 the more enjoyable game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Gotta jump onto the camera appreciation bandwagon. GOW camerawork has always been near perfect, but Castlevania:LOS really reinforced the point for me. As beautiful as that game was, the camera cuts were so awful that I completely lost any sense of being in a cohesive environment a lot of the time. I'm sure it's not just the camera that led me to feel disoriented, but it sure as shit didn't help.

one thing that stood out for me when watching the director's video from ghost of sparta is the design of Kratos. his white skin and glowing weapon help make the character pop out from the environment, and even when the camera is really zoomed out and Kratos is small on the screen, you can still see Kratos and keep playing.

in contrast, I have a lot of problem in Castlevania where Gabriel and smaller enemies just blend into the environment so well it's hard to see enemy's attack etc. especially the goblins with small bombs early in the game, that was so frustating for me.

Zen

Banned
This is something that I notice in Ghost of Sparta when using the alternate costumes even, although it's probably more an issue because of the lesser fidelity of the PSP+Smaller screen. The design of Kratos is very helpful for gameplay, that's for sure.

Stillmatic

purple cobra said:
Is there a group of pics somewhere showing all the skins Kratos can wear? I've seen the Deimos one above and it looks hot.
These are the only skins i have, i don't have any other skins to take grabs of. :(

Forgotten Warrior
e4c1yssp.jpg

Fear Kratos
1vxs2ktc.png

Apollo
yklloh05.png

viycf3gn.png

Stuffed up the screen size on this one^

Nizz

Stillmatic said:
These are the only skins i have, i don't have any other skins to take grabs of. :(

Forgotten Warrior
http://iforce.co.nz/i/e4c1yssp.jpg[img]

Fear Kratos
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/1vxs2ktc.png[img]

Apollo
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/yklloh05.png[img]
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/viycf3gn.png[img]
Stuffed up the screen size on this one^[/QUOTE]
Thanks for those! The Apollo one looks badass. :) These are .50 cents a skin?

I was just thinking about a possible sequel/prequel/spin-off/whatever after watching the Ghost of Sparta trailer again. I think the series can very well continue as "Ghost of Sparta" instead of "God of War" if they wanted to get away from that story arc with either A)
a sequel after the gods are gone where a god of war is no longer needed
or B) a prequel of his rise to power before ever becoming associated with the gods.

I'd like to see B because I imagine some needed changes to the tried and true GOW formula. For instance, magic powers shouldn't be used and even the iconic blades would be missing.

It'd be nice seeing a more humanized version of Kratos before his turn for the worse prior to GOW1.

Combichristoffersen

MoonsaultSlayer said:
My guess is Muse hero but he may not have realized he had to tune it first up top.

It honestly baffles me that people had trouble with that part. It might possibly be the easiest minigame/puzzle I've ever seen in any of the GoW games to date.

Combichristoffersen said:
It honestly baffles me that people had trouble with that part. It might possibly be the easiest minigame/puzzle I've ever seen in any of the GoW games to date.

I hate games of that type. The face button combat QTEs are bad enough, and then they build a whole challenge from that? Yeah, fuck that. It also looks absolutely retarded.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I hate games of that type. The face button combat QTEs are bad enough, and then they build a whole challenge from that? Yeah, fuck that. It also looks absolutely retarded.

Well I only have an issue with the input-action lag (visually) and the sound being very sub-par. It just looks and sounds clunky. Gameplay-wise, it wasn't bad.

I know everyone knocks the QTE's but seriously, they're only there as enemy finishers. It's meant to be a climactic way to end the battle without resorting to a cutscene. It's either that, or it could end with some chumpy last second hit that happens to take the last sliver of health and it's over. Not GOW's style at all.

edbrat

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Well I only have an issue with the input-action lag (visually) and the sound being very sub-par. It just looks and sounds clunky. Gameplay-wise, it wasn't bad.

yeah i found this tricky until i stopped relying on the graphics and used the sound as cues, focussing on keeping in time, if that makes any sense. Seemed you can be remarkably late hitting the graphical cue but you cannot be early, and if you start going too fast / too slow adjusting back into time is tough. And it really is one of those you have to stay composed to the end and not start getting tensed up once you make it further than you have before.

personally got stuck on the final phase of the final boss fight on my hard run through, bloody frustrating. Just keep taking too much damage and failing to deal anywhere near enough out.

Combichristoffersen

edbrat said:
personally got stuck on the final phase of the final boss fight on my hard run through, bloody frustrating. Just keep taking too much damage and failing to deal anywhere near enough out.

I didn't have much trouble with the final phase, but the 2D part took me an eternity to get past.

Melchiah

AltogetherAndrews said:

Ditto. I hate to re-play the game knowing I'll have to play it again.

Top Bottom