• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Daingurse

As far as I remember, that's exactly how it happens:
Humanity's use of nuclear weapons in Japan awaken Godzilla, and humanity's attempts to kill Godzilla with nukes then awaken the MUTOs.

That's what I recall as well. The implications are actually quite disturbing, if I understand it correctly . . .
Godzilla, the Mutos, and whatever that enormous fossil was, are natural aberrations, as opposed to mutants created by man's hands. Truly made Godzilla and the Muto's feel like something primordial. Fuck, the whole Toho roster could be lying dormant underneath the earth, just waiting for the next nuclear disaster. I'm curious what sources of radiation Godzilla was feeding on. I was surprised to see the Muto's doing what Godzilla was doing in 1985, attacking subs and nuclear plants, as opposed to you know . . . Godzilla lol.

You also know what this movie reminded me of? Primal Rage, despite Godzilla and the Muto's being very animal-like in their behavior, they still felt like something beyond flesh and bone. Something elemental.

As a person that grew up loving Godzilla I found this movie to be good and must see in a theater.
The story is a typical Godzilla type one and the way they explain why these creatures are around and how they are still alive is pretty well done. I was kinda of surprised at this part. The "human" part of it was terrible as expected. The monster fights were good but the fights weren't long enough. When Godzilla is on screen they really nailed all those scenes he was in though. Putting this up against all the other Godzilla movies and I feel this is one of the best ones but it's not THE best if that makes any sense. The movie really left me wanting more and I guess that is a good thing because I want another movie really bad right now!

I really loved at the end when Godzilla burns the female monsters head off and holds the head up and roars like a fucking Gladiator! That part was so fucking awesome!
The original Godzila film still remains the best and it's commentary on nuclear weapons still rings true today.

This one has obvious flaws that keep it from being a great movie but it went through at least 3 script writers so that probably explains the flaws in the characters.

Zombine

Banned
What's the next logical step for this new Godzilla series? Are they going to continue to create new Kaiju, or are we going to get rebooted versions of Mothra, Hedora, Rodan, King Gedorah, ect?

Edit: The more time I've had to think about the film the more I think I enjoyed it. It has some flaws but I think I can look past that. I have to go check it out again.

Daingurse

What's the next logical step for this new Godzilla series? Are they going to continue to create new Kaiju, or are we going to get rebooted versions of Mothra, Hedora, Rodan, King Gedorah, ect?

I definitely wouldn't mind more original monsters, as I really liked the MUTOs. However if we get more movies, I really want to see some re-imaginings of classic monsters.

The Mule

They killed
Cranston
way too early. He should've died in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the movie as a self-sacrifice to save
his son
. Maybe he could've stayed behind to
destroy the eggs
or something.

Branduil

It was a pretty good movie. You can tell that Gareth Edwards really gets Godzilla, and he gives us one of the best depictions of the king of monsters ever. Most of my criticisms would be related to stuff that could have been done better, rather than things that are legitimately bad. Basically, it would have been a better film if
Cranston
was the main character. The film in particular drags from
the moment Godzilla and Muto face off in Hawaii until the climax in San Francisco
. But the parts before and after that are golden.

Brakke

Banned
As far as I remember, that's exactly how it happens:
Humanity's use of nuclear weapons in Japan awaken Godzilla, and humanity's attempts to kill Godzilla with nukes then awaken the MUTOs.

I'm actually not positive how this goes. My eyes were glazed over by the seventh bozo trip to exposition land.

But the bombs don't awaken the Mutos, mining does. The Mutos are some Mines of Moria / Balrog anti-industrialism noise.

Except they aren't because nothing really reads as a metaphor.

The presence of nukes isn't as important as knowing how/not to use the weapons. The balance is in humanity knowing to respect nature in its attempts to progress technologically and as a civilization. You don't go around exploding nuclear weapons and experimenting with dangerous forms of new technology on your planet without expecting any consequences.

Yes that would be a fine theme but none of this is in the text. The very last things humans do with regard to weapons is deploy one against the monsters. An even bigger one. For this transgression, as punishment for not learning any lessons, humans are saved from the Mutos. Godzilla's shown no propensity for punishing or even regarding humans at all, so if went went right on using them there's no reason to believe giant monsters would push back again. In fact now we know we have a protector to save us if something goes bad.

The only way "balance is restored" is if the sequel opens on the UN Security Council passing comprehensive disarmament resolutions or something. Which would be hilarious. But the theme you're trying to read requires a retcon in order to stand up.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I won't lie at first, that first atomic breath, though cool, looked like it did no impact or damage....... But when he shot it down the female muto's throat and her head came off.... I never saw people throw their hands up in the air in a theater like at a sporting event..... That was a sight and experience to behold.

I threw both my hands up too! Whole theater exploded. Goddamn that was awesome. Some primordial beast cathartic shit right there.

Brakke

Banned
Yes, something dumb. The TO was Terrestrial Organism I remember, because as soon as they said it it turns out the MUTO wasn't terrestrial and I laughed.

Edit: oh yeah MU was Massive Unidentified

Also people kept calling the things "parasitic" but nothing they did was parasitic at all. Pretty clear this script was rewritten by a few different people.

Yes, something dumb. The TO was Terrestrial Organism I remember, because as soon as they said it it turns out the MUTO wasn't terrestrial and I laughed.

Edit: oh yeah MU was Massive Unidentified

Also people kept calling the things "parasitic" but nothing they did was parasitic at all. Pretty clear this script was rewritten by a few different people.

In an original draft they needed Godzilla to stick a chrysalis in him to reproduce. The skeleton in the beginning of the movie originally was an ancient pre-mutated Godzilla that the MUTO used to give birth.

Brakke

Banned
Well there you go.

Also you don't need to spoiler tag something from the original and discarded draft. There is no way it could spoil anyone. Because nobody is going to read it except as a curio. It will never be produced.

Daingurse

This movie really has been in my mind all day, glad the family is seeing it tomorrow, definitely going with. I think my step-dad is going to fall asleep though lol. I think he really demands stimulus from his media, he can't fucking stand cut-scenes, and hates slow parts of movies. I don't think he's gonna appreciate the build up whatsoever, no chance in hell.

I think a lot of the people going overboard on the criticisms for the movie are missing the woods for the trees.

Outside of Godzilla 54' the bar isn't exactly high for Godzilla films, ESPECIALLY the American ones, and we finally, FINALLY got a good-to-great one. I'm fucking ecstatic, and have so much hope for a sequel. This is a celebration motherfuckers!

Calcium

Banned
I just got back from seeing it. Ultimately I was disappointed with the film. I'd give it a 7/10 overall. Here's a few thoughts: (Spoiler wall, just in case)

Godzilla was perfect. I loved everything about him.
The logistics of Ford being at the right place at the right time for every monster encounter was just insulting to the audience. He should have been at the beginning with his father and in the final mission at the end. That's it.

The sound design was quite poor. I expected the monsters fighting in the city to be almost deafening as building crashed to the ground, but most of the fight scenes were almost muted. It also seemed like unless you were meant to see or hear the monsters they didn't exist. These things are huge, there should have been stomping sounds as they walked around but there really wasn't much of that.

Every time they cut to the human side of the story I just sighed. It was funny the first time they only showed the fighting on the news, but after 3-4 cutaways I was just tired of it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the first time Ken Watanabe said
"Godzilla"
a bunch of people in my theater laughed. What the hell is up with that? Is that line funny?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It was soooooo fucking good. Mostly, I'm just glad that there seems to be a boom in big budget actually good kaiju movies lately.

I know there are people mad about the
cutaways
, but I think it paid off for the end. Great pacing.

Ithil

I like how Godzilla
basically 100% ignored humanity for the whole film, apart from two moments where the Navy attacked him and he smashed the Golden Gate Bridge in retaliation, and the moment where he locked eyes with Brody briefly. Otherwise, he was solely interested in killing the MUTOs and left again immediately.

Humanity played zero role in Godzilla's "quest", they were just spectators.

MC Safety

Ah, well. I enjoyed the film, but it turns out my concerns were dead-on. I'd much rather have had Godzilla the film's one and only monster.

I winced when the Japanese scientist said not once but twice, "Godzilla will bring balance!" And, then, "Let them fight!" No, no, it's totally cool, scientist dude. We'll let these three monsters sort it out because the winner is just going to walk off into the sunset when it's done.

I just watched Godzilla '54 in preparation for this (first time seeing it since I was a kid). What a fantastic, beautiful, somber film. And the effects must have been jaw dropping for the time, because they impressed me now. An there were so many great shots, and the soundtrack was of course amazing as well.

How does this Godzilla compare to the original? Is it similar in tone? And if Big G only gets as much screen time as he does in the original I'd be ok with that because every time he came on screen in the original it fucking mattered.

Timu

This was an awesome movie and I liked the 3D in it, easily one of the best Godzilla movies out there. The MUTO rocked as well but Godzilla steals every scene he was in.

Daingurse

I like how Godzilla
basically 100% ignored humanity for the whole film, apart from two moments where the Navy attacked him and he smashed the Golden Gate Bridge in retaliation, and the moment where he locked eyes with Brody briefly. Otherwise, he was solely interested in killing the MUTOs and left again immediately.

Humanity played zero role in Godzilla's "quest", they were just spectators.

Yep, he paid them no mind. He he was pretty damn gentle for Godzilla. Compare him to the mindless Return of Godzilla version, that thing seems so ruthless now.

Also Off-topic, Shouta you were right. I can tell from the damn title sequence alone that The Return of Godzilla is a better version than 1985, this is a real ass title sequence. I do like me some Burr though.

Branduil

It was soooooo fucking good. Mostly, I'm just glad that there seems to be a boom in big budget actually good kaiju movies lately.

I know there are people mad about the
cutaways
, but I think it paid off for the end. Great pacing.

The film is very old-school in a good way, in that it understands how to build tension and gradually raise the stakes, rather than follow the Michael Bay school of all-sensory-overload-all-the-time. The main character could have been better and more interesting
by being Bryan Cranston
but the structure and direction of the film is on a level above most blockbusters.

Kinsei

Banned
I really like that they didn't
depict the MUTO's as evil. They were just animals following their instincts and they just happened to have an immense amount of power. It really went a long way in making you feel bad when they died.

Since this seems to be doing well, it'll hopefully usher in a new era of Kaiju movies.

Ithil

I just watched Godzilla '54 in preparation for this (first time seeing it since I was a kid). What a fantastic, beautiful, somber film. And the effects must have been jaw dropping for the time, because they impressed me now. An there were so many great shots, and the soundtrack was of course amazing as well.

How does this Godzilla compare to the original? Is it similar in tone? And if Big G only gets as much screen time as he does in the original I'd be ok with that because every time he came on screen in the original it fucking mattered.

It's not nearly as dark and grim as Godzilla '54, but it's not light hearted, I don't think there's a single moment of humour in the whole film. It's more of a monster movie, or disaster movie, than a charged allegory like Godzilla '54, but it's very enjoyable if you want paced, measured and well made monster brawling, with no forced humour or handholding.

Godzilla has about the same amount of screentime in this film as the original, he doesn't even appear for nearly an hour into the film and is still only glimpsed briefly until the final act.

Godzilla (more character spoilers, no plot spoilers)
is not good or evil in the film, the damage he causes is mostly collateral, he's solely interested in fighting the other monsters and ignores the humans mostly
More notable spoilers
Godzilla rising from the ocean and making landfall causes a tsunami that clearly kills a few hundred people, and he doesn't give a shit, he just goes after the MUTO. So he's full anti-hero.

I really enjoyed the movie. It was outstanding really. The only complaint would be
Godzilla not being in it much, but it's totally made up by the fact that any moment he was on screen was absolutely breathtaking. He completely commanded everyones attention when he he was there.

I really enjoyed the human element of the movie, it wasn't the greatest told story in the world, but it's a Godzilla movie. I just want the human side to be interesting and enjoyable and I think it was. I really enjoyed the characters and I am a big fan of the actors. There was never a dull moment, unlike most of the classic films, which focused on cheesy story lines. The moment when Godzilla started powering up his atomic breath was incredible. My theater all was like "Holy shit...."

I hope to god this does well enough for a sequel. I'd love for Edwards to return and do this again. Next time bring back another classic monster and introduce another one as well. A bit of the old and a bit of the new. I think it's the logical next step. Toho would be crazy not to license out another monster.

It's not nearly as dark and grim as Godzilla '54, but it's not light hearted, I don't think there's a single moment of humour in the whole film. It's more of a monster movie, or disaster movie, than a charged allegory like Godzilla '54, but it's very enjoyable if you want paced, measured and well made monster brawling.

Godzilla has about the same amount of screentime in this film as the original, he doesn't even appear for nearly an hour into the film and is still only glimpsed briefly until the final act.

Okay cool. I would have liked to see the same level of grimness as the original Because it made the whole film incredibly moving and powerful, especially the scenes in the hospital with kids.

I can definitely live with well crafted monster movie, though.

This was a solid flick.. Though the constant teasing of Godzilla early on got kinda annoying.. After watching this I really wanted to watch Pacific Rim again. This also makes me want a new War of the Monsters game so bad!

orochi91

FANTASTIC MOVIE!

The intentional
avoidance of a full blown Godzilla/Muto fight till the end
was a masterstroke!
The payoff was incredibly satisfying. The humans were good too!

This movie did justice to the original 1954 movie; the MUTO creatures were extremely
well done.

Branduil

There are a lot of ways it feels like a sort of spiritual sequel to the '54 film. Obviously it's not completely the same, and the way Godzilla in particular is depicted has a lot more influence from his later characterizations, but there's a definitely an influence from the seriousness and slow build-up of the original.

Ithil

There are a lot of ways it feels like a sort of spiritual sequel to the '54 film. Obviously it's not completely the same, and the way Godzilla in particular is depicted has a lot more influence from his later characterizations, but there's a definitely an influence from the seriousness and slow build-up of the original.

This mainly comes across in how seriously the film takes the threat posed by the monsters. It's not the same kind of political message as the original film, but it's the opposite of something like Transformers that destroys cities and threatens the Earth in the same breath as cooking breakfast and washing the car.

So don't expect Godzilla 54 but do expect a disaster movie that takes its disaster seriously and has major reverence for its monsters.

Brakke

Banned
Yo that cut-to-kid-watching-Kaiju-fight-on-TV part was the best bit in the whole movie. Shit was proper subversive! "Hey you goofballs in the theatre this is you you're kids who just want their monster-bashing".

Calcium

Banned
I read there wouldn't be weeks ago, so I didn't stick around but just to make sure. There wasn't any scene during or after the credits right?

Some kids in front of me in line asked someone as he was coming out of the previous showing. So according to that guy, no. I took his word for it and walked out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The film is very old-school in a good way, in that it understands how to build tension and gradually raise the stakes, rather than follow the Michael Bay school of all-sensory-overload-all-the-time. The main character could have been better and more interesting
by being Bryan Cranston
but the structure and direction of the film is on a level above most blockbusters.
You make Bryan Canston's character the protagonist and then you'd have to make even more contrived excuses as to why he keeps facing the MUTOs and Godzilla. Going with the soldier was the right decision for the kind of set pieces they wanted to make.

This mainly comes across in how seriously the film takes the threat posed by the monsters. It's not the same kind of political message as the original film, but it's the opposite of something like Transformers that destroys cities and threatens the Earth in the same breath as cooking breakfast and washing the car.

So don't expect Godzilla 54 but do expect a disaster movie that takes its disaster seriously and has major reverence for its monsters.

Excellent, that's all I really needed to hear. And I can tell from the trailers that this Godzilla will have the best cinematography of any Godzilla movie that's not '54 (and could very well top that as well, although the stark black and white imagery of the original lends itself to a different visual tone than what it looks like Edwards and Garvey are going for).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I really like that they didn't
depict the MUTO's as evil. They were just animals following their instincts and they just happened to have an immense amount of power. It really went a long way in making you feel bad when they died.

Since this seems to be doing well, it'll hopefully usher in a new era of Kaiju movies.
I never got the impression that the MUTOs were regarded as evil. Everything about them, including their purpose, had very animalistic grounds. It was always a tale of survival in which they had the upper hand against humanity.

Chiggs

Gold Member
If the U.S. Military acted as incompetent in the real world as they do in Godzilla 2014, America would not be a superpower.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Basically, it would have been a better film if
Cranston
was the main character.

Yeah, this. I liked the movie overall, but the characters apart from
Cranston and Watanabe
dragged it down for me. The others just weren't capable of making the
non-Godzilla
parts interesting, which is unfortunate since that's the
majority of the movie.

Dominator

This was actually my first Godzilla movie so I went in completely fresh after only having seen the first full trailer. I enjoyed it a lot. Aaron-Taylor Johnson was a bit wooden at times but overall he was fine. Cranston was the stand-out for the time he was in the film.

I'd give this a solid 8/10. CGI looked pretty damn great to me too. I couldn't see any problems with it. When the big man was actually on the screen I was floored.

Top Bottom