• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

CD'S BAR

They shouldn't have killed him off. He was on a redemption path.

He was the most interesting character too, should've just paired him with Watanabe all the way.

exactly. instead they pass they baton to the most wooden actor in the whole film. all the human characters besides cranston were so dull and delivered their lines in such a matter-of-fact way. still liked the movie a lot though. loved the pacing of monster action and boy did it pay off in the end! also beautifully shot and some very nice moments in the score.

aly

Just got back. Went with my mom and the place was packed. I loved the movie. The pacing, tension, and amount of action/Godzilla was great. Human characters were meh, but at least they were tolerable with non-cringey dialogue. People even clapped several times!

Liked:
Godzilla and that fire breath thingy. I don't know much about Godzilla lore. Just thought it looked cool. Also the end with him slinking back into the water like he worked a 9-5 job.

Meh:
The humans were ok. I did'nt really care for any of them, not even Bryan. Ken came off as accidentally hilarious sometimes too. But I know why they were there, and they never got too annoying like in PR.

Loved the movie, still don't understand why Godzilla was
hunting the MUTOs

The explanation of him being an Alpha Predator that "restores balance" didn't make any sense to me. Godzilla is chilling deep in the ocean doing his thing... how do MUTOs pose any threat to him? He doesn't FEED off of them, and it's sure a hell of a lot of trouble for him to go out and kill them.

The only thing I can think of is that the MUTOs might eat all of the radiation (ALL OF THE RADIATION!), but that's just fucking stupid, since they said Godzilla is deep in the ocean so he can absorb radiation from the Earth's core.

Godzilla is there to "restore balance"; for whom? Humans? Insects? Fish? Why the fuck does he care?

Other than that faulty logical premise that the entire movie was based off of, as well as generic young military dude as the main character and all the tropes that come along with that, I thought the movie was very awesome.

CREMSteve

Just getting out if the theater, enjoyed it. What was the budget on this?
Guessing it was low, based in the fact that almost all of the destruction takes place offscreen for much of the film.

strobogo

Banned
Just got home from seeing it in IMAX. I think Pacific Rim was an overall better film, but Godzilla was more badass than any monster in PR.

Has Godzilla always been "the good guy?"

No. He was the "bad guy" in the original, vs King Kong, Return/84/85, seemingly all of the Millennium Era movies.

Kinsei

Banned
Sorry if this was posted before, but the head of Toho loves the movie. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67271

I ended up talking with producer Thomas Tull and while I was thanking him for helping me out with the tickets a Japanese man came up and Tull immediately looked nervous. “So, what did you think?” The man answered that he and his colleagues were amazed with the movie and couldn't believe how perfectly Godzilla was captured. “This is the Godzilla from my childhood.” He said this with a hand over his heart, I swear to God. Tull looked taken aback, both relieved and amazed at the same time. After the man left, Tull leaned over to me and said, “He's the head of Toho.”

Just getting out if the theater, enjoyed it. What was the budget on this?
Guessing it was low, based in the fact that almost all of the destruction takes place offscreen for much of the film.

160m. half of the cost was suits decision to post convert it to 3D which ended up taking longer and more cost than expected.

Tobor

Holy Shit. This movie is fucking terrible. I'm in utter disbelief at how bad it is.

Slow, plodding, insipid, banal and moronic.

The couple next to me asked us to stand up to get by, I assumed for the bathroom. The guy leans in as they walk by and says "Don't worry, we aren't coming back. This movie sucks." They were the smart ones.

There was outright laughter at the truly terrible parts. The inane dialogue drew laughs, the pathetic performance by Ken Watanabe drew laughs as he transitioned from staring to almost crying and back to staring again. The guy who played the admiral or whatever drew laughs each time he said something stupid and stared(Which was every scene he was in.
Not once, not twice, no, three fucking times the idiot son gets stared down by giant monsters.
Each time drew laughter from the audience.

At the end, when something worthwhile finally actually happens, there were a few cheers. I can only assume they were cheering that something worthwhile had finally happened after 2 hours.

I don't even know what movie this guy was trying to make. As a serious take on Godzilla(which I assumed this was), it's an abject failure. As a traditional Godzilla movie it's an even bigger failure, as all of the decent Godzilla moments could be edited into one .gif.

I'm really bummed. I was legit hyped for this movie, and now I just want the two hours of my life back.

Holy Shit. This movie is fucking terrible. I'm in utter disbelief at how bad it is.

The couple next to me asked us to stand up to get by, I assumed for the bathroom. The guy leans in as they walk by and says "Don't worry, we aren't coming back. This movie sucks." They were the smart ones.

There was outright laughter at the truly terrible parts. The inane dialogue drew laughs, the pathetic performance by Ken Watanabe drew laughs as he transitioned from staring to almost crying and back to staring again. The guy who played the admiral or whatever drew laughs each time he said something stupid and stared(Which was every scene he was in.
Not once, not twice, no, three fucking times the idiot son gets stared down by giant monsters.

At the end, when something worthwhile finally actually happens, there were a few cheers. I can only assume they were cheering that something worthwhile had finally happened after 2 hours.

I don't even know what movie this guy was trying to make. As a serious take on Godzilla(which I assumed this was), it's an abject failure. As a traditional Godzilla movie it's an even bigger failure, as all of the decent Godzilla moments could be edited into one .gif.

I'm really bummed. I was legit hyped for this movie, and now I just want the two hours of my life back.

Sounds likea bunch of winners in that theater

So, better or worse than Godzilla 1998?

I thought it kind of sucked. Took forever to get to Godzilla and everytime he was actually on screen and the movie was actually going to be cool, they cut away to some bullshit story that I could not care less about.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I watched it yesterday, UltraAVX 3D. I was really disappointed, visually no complains but some of the stuff story wise was just terrible and dumb down.i dont know why the rating for this are so high.

hunting the MUTOs

The explanation of him being an Alpha Predator that "restores balance" didn't make any sense to me. Godzilla is chilling deep in the ocean doing his thing... how do MUTOs pose any threat to him? He doesn't FEED off of them, and it's sure a hell of a lot of trouble for him to go out and kill them.

The only thing I can think of is that the MUTOs might eat all of the radiation (ALL OF THE RADIATION!), but that's just fucking stupid, since they said Godzilla is deep in the ocean so he can absorb radiation from the Earth's core.

Godzilla is there to "restore balance"; for whom? Humans? Insects? Fish? Why the fuck does he care?

Other than that faulty logical premise that the entire movie was based off of, as well as generic young military dude as the main character and all the tropes that come along with that, I thought the movie was very awesome.

That's just how he do.
Guess Godzilla just doesn't like other monsters and feels the need to beat them up every time they come around. Usually he gets some reason to fight them but eh

ezekial45

Banned
Did they use the same music from 2001: ASO's soundtrack for Godzilla's theme?

If they did, that was a brilliant choice. It works so well.

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Holy shit that was good. I just had a huge grin on my face when we got the first real shot of Godzilla.

Anyone else weirded out the whole time knowing that the main couple are going to be siblings in Avengers 2?

All these stories about people leaving the teathers are interesting. In my theater only one person left, it was a guy that was alone watching the movie, going alone to the teather must be an interesting experience.

jackal27

Banned
hunting the MUTOs

I just thought they said that he's the alpha predator. I honestly figured he was going to eat them at the end, but whatever. What does he feed off of anyway? Nuclear energy? Would they mean he's being territorial? I don't know. I just know that he's instinctually driven to kick ass and that's fine by me.

All these stories about people leaving the teathers are interesting. In my theater only one person left, it was a guy that was alone watching the movie, going alone to the teather must be an interesting experience.

I've only seen one story about someone leaving the theater. Huh. It seems like these positive and negative impressions are coming in waves, haha.

I would be willing to bet this one is slower. It takes forever for anything to happen.

Oh so like a Godzilla movie then?

strobogo

Banned

It's pretty awesome. I see most of mine by myself and early in the day, so I usually have the theater completely to myself.

Completely agree. Movie was a joke. At certain points I thought it was a parody of itself. I mean I wasn't hyped or anything and I was still let down... The human parts were the worst, absolute zero logic to anything when they were on screen.

strobogo

Banned
The most glaring problem with the movie: The hilarious over usage of the the "character slowly turns around for no reason and stares". I swear there were at least 5 of them with Ford alone. And 3 of those was staring directly in the eyes of giant monsters that really should not give a single fuck about what is basically an ant to them.

saw it earlier tonight and loved it, the god B^)

thought the pace was good actually, decent set up throughout the movie

godzilla breathing his fire with a head ripping finishing move, bad ass and everyone went nuts, great audience

interesting to see what a sequel would be

The most glaring problem with the movie: The hilarious over usage of the the "character slowly turns around for no reason and stares". I swear there were at least 5 of them with Ford alone. And 3 of those was staring directly in the eyes of giant monsters that really should not give a single fuck about what is basically an ant to them.

Watanabe was also staring into blank space the entire time

interesting to see what a sequel would be

At the end credits of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Nick Fury tries to recruit Godzilla.

I just thought they said that he's the alpha predator. I honestly figured he was going to eat them at the end, but whatever. What does he feed off of anyway? Nuclear energy? Would they mean he's being territorial? I don't know. I just know that he's instinctually driven to kick ass and that's fine by me.

Wasn't it stated that
the MUTO's were parasitic creatures? The spores that bore them were attached to the carcass of a giant creature, which they no doubt drained the radiation from. In that case it kind of puts them as a natural threat to Godzilla, so he rises from the deep to curbstomp their asses before they can threaten him.

Just got back, I fucking loved it. Was never bored once but of course I would have loved to have more monster on monster action. Still, damn fine film.

What was kind of refreshing is that there were so many opportunities for lame ass one liners from the humans on the ground (especially the soldiers) and none came. In the hands of a lesser director I'd imagine this movie would be full of forced attempts at humor and I'm glad this never happened.

Wasn't it stated that
the MUTO's were parasitic creatures? The spores that bore them were attached to the carcass of a giant creature, which they no doubt drained the radiation from. In that case it kind of puts them as a natural threat to Godzilla, so he rises from the deep to curbstomp their asses before they can threaten him.

Godzilla is there just to
restore the balance.

icespide

Banned
just saw it. absolutely loved every second that Godzilla was on screen. did not give a flying fuck about any of the human characters...

I find it really interesting just how divisive this movie is turning out to be. I'll admit, during the 1st act I had doubts that the buildup would effectively reach a peak. But as the Hawaii sequence hit, and things kicked into full gear in Vegas.. I felt like it was undeniably satisfying. And that third act - how could you find a single thing to hate? It's the tone-perfect Godzilla fight that people have wanted for decades.
But I guess the pace really was just too much for some of the general audience. But it seems to be successful regardless, so maybe more blockbusters will follow in its' path.

fallingdove

Saw the movie earlier today. I was mostly dissappointed. I thought that the action sequences were well done - they almost had a nostalgic quality to them which I thought was interesting - sadly, as others have mentioned, there aren't nearly enough of these. The story is pretty much rubbish - not uncommon for Godzilla movies but I was hoping for more. The son was the weakest character IMO and they dumb story just kept finding ways to drag him along.

1954>1985>2014>Son of Godzilla>1998

strobogo

Banned
I find it really interesting just how divisive this movie is turning out to be. I'll admit, during the 1st act I had doubts that the buildup would effectively reach a peak. But as the Hawaii sequence hit, and things kicked into full gear in Vegas.. I felt like it was undeniably satisfying. And that third act - how could you find a single thing to hate? It's the tone-perfect Godzilla fight that people have wanted for decades.
But I guess the pace really was just too much for some of the general audience. But it seems to be successful regardless, so maybe more blockbusters will follow in its' path.

I think it is less of a "too slow for general audiences" thing and more of a "people haven't actually seen a Godzilla movie since they were kids and most forget that most of the movies are very slow with not a lot of monster action in them".

Formless

Just needed one more clear fight scene more in the middle and some less of the family stuff.

A lot of the non-monster action scenes were done very well though.

So, I just got back from watching Godzilla. I did indeed orgasm in my pants.

The intro title sequence was so amazing.
The way it gives you seconds-glimpses of the titular beast's fins in the water interlaced with the old timey stock footage was brilliant.

The
Hawaii
sequence was so good.
The way it built up to the showdown at the airport (which I think I wish they had shown) was so great: cutting between discovering the MUTO in the jungle with Ford on the train, the party on the beach by the city, and the stuff aboard the Saratoga. Excellent.

I don't know if I like the way Godzilla acted. He looked freaking cool, but he
acted tired...sluggish...I wonder if they did that to say hey...he's old, because he's been around since prehistoric times. Idk.

I'm gonna see it again tomorrow. Liked it.

I loved the movie! It was a great contrast and compliment to Pacific Rim, IMO.

The theater audience I was with was awesome too.
When Watanabe said "Gojira", there was a lot of cheering. And of course when Godzilla's spine started glowing and he shot his atomic breath, there was a TON of cheering and clapping!! It was great.

Loved it. Yeah there could have been plenty of more on screen action, but I was okay with it. I would definitely buy this whenever it's out bluray.

Renoir

I liked the movie.

Is it me or pacific rim kaijus had way more ooomf to them?

Also there is a bunch of times the monster are walking around and the humans act like they cant hear they're big asses stomping around.

Apart from that its real good summer movie.
I even bought popcorn.(I usually go to publix and grab my self a sub)

this is the first blockbuster in a long time where i have literally nothing to say about it.

it wasn't particularly great. nor was it completely flawed.

it was just...a movie.

that's my review. godzilla gets a neutral/10.

The three minutes Godzilla was actually on screen were really cool. The rest was pretty awful. It gets really irritating that anytime something cool is about to happen they immediately cut to more bullshit human scenes. I came to see Godzilla not military man and his crappy family.

man i can already see it. the sequel is gonna be awful.

The story gonna be transformers dark of the moon.
You lie! The story is going to start with Godzilla wrecking a few weak kaiju
[Kamacuras and Kumonga?]
, the military acts tries (and fails) to kill the King of the Monsters with their new weapon
[MechaGodzilla]
, a very powerful kaiju will appear
[Ghidorah]
and (mostly) wipe the floor with Godzilla, the military (and main hero) will realize that they stand no chance against this new kaiju and will end up putting their thoughts of Godzilla behind them and team up to take it down.

man i can already see it. the sequel is gonna be awful.

The story gonna be transformers dark of the moon.

If we take the easter egg as a real hint of what's to come...

I don't know how you sell a movie about a giant fuzzy Moth to the US audience. Especially one controlled by fairies. I could see a gritty Mothra as a creature - moths are creepy as fuck up close, and a giant one would be as well. Maybe even sell it as a Godzilla sequel with giant-ass larvae, then in the third act - Mothra emerges. And I suppose following the 'Alpha Predator' theory, you could rewrite the backstory into something tone-consistent. The original Godzilla franchise jumped off the cliff in seriousness after the first film as well - hopefully the same move isn't made here.

I could easily see a Mechagodzilla in this universe, though. Some percentage of humanity is going to hate Godzilla after this, and I could see them building a big-ass robot to smash it up.
We've already established that there are bones of Godzilla-esque creatures in the Philippines...
Though if Legendary has any intention of continuing Pacific Rim as a franchise, that might cut too close.

Top Bottom