• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Jaeger

oh-fuck-morgan-freeman-gif.gif

SIGN ME UP.

Amalthea

Banned
Honestly, they will never be able to top the battle those four had in Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster. It was so over the top and funny that the modern grumpy, gritty and grounded aproach can only pale in comparision.

Maybe they should warm up a bit to the classical fantasy and pulp sci-fi angle of the original films. I mean the most sucessful move universe these days has Norse gods and gun-toting raccoons.
Why not have fairy priestesses and space kingdoms destroying alien dragons then?

Honestly, they will never be able to top the battle those four had in Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster. It was so over the top and funny that the modern grumpy, gritty and grounded aproach can only pale in comparision.

Maybe they should warm up a bit to the classical fantasy and pulp sci-fi angle of the original films. I mean the most sucessful move universe these days has Norse gods and gun-toting raccoons.
Why not have fairy priestesses and space kingdoms destroying alien dragons then?
I wouldn't say that. Godzilla's fight with the MUTOs is one of my favorites because of its animal-like nature. I would love a similar fight in that vein with King Ghidorah.

Fox Mulder

While I hated the last movie. It's impossible for me to ignore the glorious return of King Ghidora.

ghidora looks badass and makes a great sound, but he's sucked to be honest.

Godzilla almost killed him three times in the movie ghidora was a good guy. Interested in what they do with him now though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ghidora looks badass and makes a great sound, but he's sucked to be honest.

Godzilla almost killed him three times in the movie ghidora was a good guy. Interested in what they do with him now though.

I thought ghidorah was one of the usual bad guys

Boss Doggie

You know, after watching some older Godzilla films, I'd argue that Legendary one is the most "tolerable" (personally I like the film, but I am talking about the skeptics). You think "bland protagonist" is bad? Wait til you hear an abundant screaming of "Onii-chan!!!"

Also I recommend watching Godzilla vs Megalon. It's just plain hilarious and awesome. Godzilla and Jet Jaguar tagteaming Megalon and Gigan is worth watching.

Is this going to limp its way to $200M domestic or is it finally done?

He had a face turn in Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack in the Millennium series. It was not a good movie.

Technically in GMK Godzilla is the villain and the hero is King Ghidorah(!)

Just watched it, and I loved it. Never seen any of the old ones (roast away), but while the storyline and characters are bland and paper thin I still thought it was a great "turn off your brain and enjoy the action" movie. Transformers could learn a thing or two about that.

Can't wait for the sequel now...and catching up on the older ones.

Z..

What a fucking snoozefest. I expected a much better movie. Gareth Edwards showed alot of promise with Monsters, but this one is so unimaginative and predictable. Disappointment of the year.

The ending completely clashes with the tone of the movie.
If that really happened in real life people would be running and the army would try to take Godzilla down. The fuck with the cheering BS.

Boss Doggie

If that really happened in real life people would be running and the army would try to take Godzilla down. The fuck with the cheering BS.

The thing people forget is the question mark at the end of the caption.

Also people are likely to try to get themselves back on their feet instead of provoking a monster.

JdFoX187

Banned

I was thinking the same thing. The cheering at Godzilla's departure was awful.

I was thinking the same thing. The cheering at Godzilla's departure was awful.
he probably crushed hundreds of people during his stroll back to the ocean, lol

It was one of my big problems with the movie. Take out the cheering crowd and TV caption, insert the old Godzilla theme...it would have been ace.

Boss Doggie

But no one was cheering. Just a bunch of passersby. Unless you mean the caption, which people forget has a ? at the end. People are also not dumb enough to get in the way.

Also it makes me wonder how people think of animals when presented with an obstacle. An animal will not destroy an obstacle out of instinct, it will normally try to find a way to get around it first.

Pretty sure the people in the stadium were cheering, maybe I'm wrong. The caption in conjunction with the music definitely painted Godzilla in a specific light. It should have been more ambiguous

Boss Doggie

Pretty sure the people in the stadium were cheering, maybe I'm wrong. The caption in conjunction with the music definitely painted Godzilla in a specific light. It should have been more ambiguous

Nah I recall it was more of a terrified scream, hence why the main character looking up in surprise.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nah I recall it was more of a terrified scream, hence why the main character looking up in surprise.

They were cheering. My gf turned to me at that point and asked why they were cheering, and the couple in front of us turned around and said the same thing. It did feel a bit out of place IMHO.

SJRB

Gold Member
Perhaps they're cheering because they realise Godzilla prevented certain apocalypse?

I dunno, I didn't think it was weird or out of place. Sure he wrecked the city, but he stopped two monsters humanity would never be able to take down. Without him we'd all be fucked.

G-Unit is a god. I guess.

Perhaps they're cheering because they realise Godzilla prevented certain apocalypse?

I dunno, I didn't think it was weird or out of place. Sure he wrecked the city, but he stopped two monsters humanity would never be able to take down. Without him we'd all be fucked.

G-Unit is a god. I guess.

The natural reaction would have been "Oh shit, it's still alive! Run for your life!!" because your ordinary people didn't know what Godzilla's intention was. Especially after Godzilla attacking the golden bridge.
And then the army would have been like "Take him down before he kills more people!".

kingkitty

I might be getting some things mixed up, but didn't Godzilla
back in Hawaii kill a bunch of people in a tsunami?

Godzilla is a thug and deserves to die.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I might be getting some things mixed up, but didn't Godzilla
back in Hawaii kill a bunch of people in a tsunami?

Godzilla is a thug and deserves to die.

It's a terribly written film, don't try to make sense of it.

It's literally a complete 180 from the way it was marketed, such a disappointment.

This film was such a let down. I still enjoyed parts of it, but the Kickass guy just couldn't carry this, he was the dullest character I have seen in a movie in ages (admittedly I don't watch many blockbuster/action films). He was just dire though, which saddened me because I loved the first Kickass. The film does improve significantly when Godzilla is on screen, but that was few and far between.

It was better than Hollywood's earlier attempt, but not by much. Also, because of the more serious tone of this film, some of the dumb logic was really jarring. Big disappointment all round.

Finally saw this

It.... it was okay

I can see that they were going for the good ol' Godzilla the hero and I respect that, but holy shit did they really sort of bumble the tone in many places.
Its just... the film fucking REFUSED to be bleak in any meaningful way, despite constantly alluding to it. It really is terribly written in places and despite the truthfully amazing scale and visuals at points, it just ultimately has no balls. Seriously, the mass destruction is so obnoxiously sanitized at points, it's jarring.
Also, yes, the fact that the main character is in the film for less than 12 minutes is a HUGE problem.

3.5/5

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's a terribly written film, don't try to make sense of it.

It's literally a complete 180 from the way it was marketed, such a disappointment.
So, I have the movie and yet to see it but my dad did a couple of days ago and said it was one of the worst movies he'd seen in recent memory. He called it completely senseless. Of course, my dad is older and he tends to be pretty critical of films nowadays. I'm have a hard time believing the movie is that bad. I should probably watch it tomorrow.

So, I have the movie and yet to see it but my dad did a couple of days ago and said it was one of the worst movies he'd seen in recent memory. He called it completely senseless. Of course, my dad is older and he tends to be pretty critical of films nowadays. I'm have a hard time believing the movie is that bad. I should probably watch it tomorrow.

It's a technical marvel at points and Gareth Edwards knows how to frame monsters and scale..... problem is, between this and his previous work, Monsters, that's all he's good at.

The movie WILL test your patience though if you're in it for, you know, Godzilla.

strobogo

Banned
I was bored in the theater, but the movie was DEATH on a second watch at home. It's a movie like Prometheus, where the sound and visuals in a theater distract you from how terrible the writing and acting is at times. The dialog in the movie is SO BAD. It's the most on the nose bullshit that almost seems like a parody. And the "realistic" approach is hard to take seriously when these massive monsters keep having direct eye contact with this one human, which would be like a human having direct eye contact with an ant all over your town. I think the movie has absolutely zero charm.

A bunch of CGI destruction has been done to death in the last 15 years.. The Toho movies were fun because of awesome miniatures and suits, not super realistic buildings being torn apart that you can see in Marvel/DC/sci-fi/generic action movie. Even the more serious movies had a charm to them.

you know in this movie godzilla felt like a bad guy. the other two just wanted to give birth. godzilla did more damage to humans then those guys did.

Top Bottom