• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin and Munich for the first time..any help :)?

Hello mates :) !

So after not doing ANY traveling at all for 4 years... and after having one of the worst years of my life so far ( Got blackmailed and deeply heartbroken and was in a serious car accident and lost my beloved car and broke my right shoulder and got rid off some so called friends because they were awful and couldn't take it anymore ect ) I'm finally going to give myself some good nice treatment because god knows how much I EARNED IT.

So, in the 1st of August I'm going to London Paris Amsterdam Berlin and Munich for exactly 3 weeks... it doesn't seems long enough after everything I've been through but also not bad as a start.

It will also be my first trip to Europe ever so any recommendations for good restaurants ( specially burgers ) and sights to explore and see... good places to do some shopping and what I need to do and experience when I'm there... just please feel free and throw in any ideas and help me to build my "must to do" list :D !

For anyone who is going to post any reply here.... let me thank you in advance for giving me some of your time to help me to shape this upcoming trip and make it as much fun as possible, I really appreciate it :)

Ok, Go go go!

Edit:

I need to mention that I already have booked everything, the hotels and the flights ( even between the cities I've mentioned ) and I'm staying in Munich only for 1 night because my flight back home is set from there.

London = 6 Nights
Paris = 3 Nights
Amsterdam = 5 Nights
Berlin = 6 Nights
Munich = 1 Night

Mr. Sam

Oh God, where to start? Shiso Burger in Berlin (they also have a restaurant in Paris funnily enough) do a bulgogi beef burger that is to die for.

I'll say that generic stuff generally is worth it (e.g. the Eiffel Tower, the Berlin wall, visiting the Houses of Parliament). London and Berlin both have excellent museums (the British Museum in particular is spectacular), and Paris obviously has the Louvre.

Get high in Amsterdam. The Anne Frank Museum and the Van Gogh Museum are both more than worth the price of entry.

Fliesen

I can only speak as someone who traveled to these cities as a tourist, but:

I can't recommend taking a free walking tour ( http://www.neweuropetours.eu ) enough.

They're offered in all the locations that you mentioned and you can't really go wrong with those. Specifically the one in Amsterdam really checks off many of the inner city 'touristy' boxes - most of which are within walking distance of the city centre.

For bigger stuff (like big museums or stuff like the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, make sure you reserve your ticket ahead of time, as there'll be lines - especially in August, when tourist season is in full force, and most of the time there'll be a discount as well)

Preload your google maps with offline maps for the city centres.

Mimosa97

Don't burn yourself trying to cram as many visits as possible. Just take the time to bask in the culture, food and architecture of the cities you're visiting. Don't tell yourself " I have to see everything because I might never come back " because you'll definitely be coming back and next time you'll know exactly what you want to see.

The Lamp

Get ready for GAF to tell you that your trip is worthless because you don't spend at least a week in each city you visit.

Paris, as a tourist, deserves many trips, though, just because it's got so much stuff. The first trip should definitely be to get all the tourist shit out of the way. Stuff you should see before you die. Things like the Eiffel Tower, Champs-d'Elysee, the Catacombs, Moulin Rouce, Versailles, The Louvre, etc. Then spend some time wandering Le Marias, taking a train out to the suburbs, do a French cooking class, take a dinner cruise around the Seinne, go to some bars, etc

Don't burn yourself trying to cram as many visits as possible. Just take the time to bask in the culture, food and architecture of the cities you're visiting. Don't tell yourself " I have to see everything because I might never come back " because you'll definitely be coming back and next time you'll know exactly what you want to see.

I crammed as much as I could into two months and I loved it. YMMV. I averaged 4 hours of sleep a night and I will never get to do anything like what I did ever again. Life gets complicated. You don't know if you'll ever get to see the same things later when you're older and sicker. PTO in America is dreadful.

Dingens

is there any particular reason you want to go to Munich? I mean, I know it's famous for its beer and the Hofbräuhaus, but besides that... there isn't that much to see/do (in terms of sightseeing) in my opinion.
That's why I usually recommend people to go to Salzburg instead (or take a train there if they get bored in Munich). It's close by and there's a lot to see/do (for pretty cheap, thanks to the "Salzburg Card")

The Lamp

is there any particular reason you want to go to Munich? I mean, I know it's famous for its beer and the Hofbräuhaus, but besides that... there isn't that much to see/do (in terms of sightseeing) in my opinion.
That's why I usually recommend people to go to Salzburg instead (or take a train there if they get bored in Munich). It's close by and there's a lot to see/do (for pretty cheap, thanks to the "Salzburg Card")

He could take a train to Dachau to see the Nazi camp

Fliesen

yeah, but still try to tick off a few of those touristy boxes, so they're off your list. In most cities you can see a high number of the famous landmarks in one afternoon, imho.

I rather check off the 'must-see' stuff early during my trips to have more of the "well, from now on, everything's a bonus, no pressure, just strolling around the city, seeing where the streets take me." feeling.

i was about to ask this, but i assumed OP might have already booked their hotels / flights / trains, so we might just make them insecure about their choice.
Munich is a very pretty city, but - if it's at all possible - maybe think about staying 1 day longer in Berlin.

He could take a train to Dachau to see the Nazi camp

I feel like that's quite the time commitment. And i do feel that - if you're doing the Anne Frank house on the same trip - you're getting a good dose of "the atrocities of the Nazi regime and World War 2", just more on a 'personal story' scale, which isn't any less impactful.

Mr. Sam

What's the coolest historical stuff you can see in Germany (and Austria, perhaps)?

I found most of stuff relating to the Berlin Wall (and the Topography of Terror) absolutely fascinating. The DDR Museum in Berlin (a museum about what life was like in East Germany) is very interesting.

FeD.nL

For burgers in Amsterdam definitely visit the 'Burgermeester', they have a couple of joints around the city. The one at the Utrechtsestraat is right around the corner when/if you're visiting the Rembrandt Square, though I prefer the one at the Elandsgracht since it's less busy most of the time.

BURGERS! I live in London. I eat all the burgers.

So, Meat Liquor/Meat Mission/Meat Market (same company) are always top of recommendations, and I also recommend them - they're superb. Juicy, well made dirty burgers, with great fries. Also order the monkey fingers (buffalo goujons, basically) because they're astonishing. They have branches in Covent Garden, soho, dulwich, a chicken burger restaurant in Brixton... There's bound to be one near where you go.

MeatliquorLOTI.jpg

People also recommend Honest burger a lot, and they're also good. Sometimes they err a little bland for my liking - like a really good chain restaurant burger.

Patty & Bun is maybe the best in London - so well thought out. Thye have two branches in soho. They do an amazing burger special sometimes with pork belly and crackling on it... So good. And the rosemary fries are excellent. Oh, and they do very good chicken wings.

Also, if a little out of the way, I'm a massive fan of Roti Brothers. Their burger is astonishing, and they make superb chimmichurri and coleslaw.

Mother Flipper in Brockley market also is amazing; also probably out of your way. And Bleecker Street Burger in Spittalfields market is ace as well.

People will tell you to try Burger and Lobster. Do not listen to them. They haven't eaten enough good burgers, and they're swayed by a mediocre burger that costs £20. They are wrong people.

Tell you what: tell me where you're thinking of staying and I'll recommend some good food places near you. Like the yelp suggestion, but not tainted by the only people who use yelp being tourists who like terrible tourist places...

Damn OP, I've been to all of those cities and they're all fucking amazing for many different reasons.

Amsterdam
red light district
there is a street with just museums to check out

London
I forget all the names lol..
Take a train/bus and see Windsor Castle for a day.
drinking/party scene is pretty good in london. it's fucking huge and reminds me of Toronto but a lot more history and culture. People are ruder in England than most countries though :\
EDIT: camden is a great shout above ^

Munich
Go to the Allianz Arena, don't care if you're a footy fan or don't like Bayern. Just do it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
make sure you drink a lot of beer in munich/berlin

Berlin
Go out to the club scene after 2AM ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Paris
take a train to versailles and check out versailles palace.. The Garden is one of the most beautiful and chillest places I've seen. Plan a whole day around this if you get to do it. If you got a girl w you, even better
louvre if you really like art (I do so :\)
underground paris, basically these tunnels with a ton of skulls/bones. Weird but cool to see

I'll keep it brief as people who live there will give you much better (in depth and specific advice). Shame about the shit you had to deal this year, hope this trips somewhat makes it up for you. :)

Fliesen

Meh, for food purposes, i always just check Yelp, to be quite honest. Not that i wouldn't trust anyone's individual suggestions, but in the end it's about taste, and i'd rather eat at a 'good' place that is near my hotel, than go to some remote place only to be disappointed it couldn't satisfy the high expectations i had built up. ;)

Dingens

What's the coolest historical stuff you can see in Germany (and Austria, perhaps)?

depends on what you're interested in. I can't really tell you about Germany, since it's more spread out. Dresden is nice, but probably not for you if you want authenticity (since most of it was rebuilt).
For Austria it's easier:
Vienna > Salzburg > Innsbruck or Graz (in this order) in terms of historical/imperial cities. Hallstadt if you got a car.

CrunchyB

Are you going to travel Europe by train? It's the preferred method IMO. The trains are comfortable and the only customs will be at the UK/France border. You can look around and even make intermediate stops if you feel like it.

Also, I'd advise to visit some stuff outside the big cities as a day trip. In England you could visit Cambridge for a day, in France Versailles, in the Netherlands bike through the forests, etc. Just make a long list of stuff you might want to visit or do and see what mood you're in when you get there, don't even try to do everything, you can't.

Alx

The only good burgers I've eaten in Paris were in British pubs, so if you're going to London too, it may not be worth the effort looking for one there. :p
Paris is very quiet in August (most of the locals are on vacation), which can be a good thing or not depending on what you're looking for. If you happen to get there during a heat wave, it might be a bit uncomfortable, make sure you keep a bottle/gourd with you (there are several public fountains with free drinkable water, not many but enough to avoid tourist traps selling small bottles for several euros). *edit : you can find them on this map. There are actually more than I thought.
I'd suggest splitting your time there between a selection of "must see" attractions, and just walking around the city to get a feel of it. It might be a shame to miss the more iconic monuments, but it may not be the most comfortable part of your stay either.

Niwa

Ooo you should check out the Spreewaldpark in Berlin, basically it's an abandoned theme park.

If you are into stuff like that.

hohoXD123

For London:

Good restaurants (most of these can be found around Piccadilly Circus):
Italian: Franco Manca, Vapianos
Japanese: Kanada-ya, Shoryu Ramen, Bone Daddies
Thai: Thai Express
Indian: Dishoom (bit on the pricier side since portions are smaller)
Burgers: Tommi's Burger Joint, Honest Burgers

A good route I always take when showing people around central London is starting in Oxford Street, walking down to Piccadily Circus/Leicester Square and visiting Hamleys along the way, then further down to Trafalgar Square, then Big Ben/Parliament and finishing off with London Eye and/or the Thames boat tour across the bridge. Alternatively you can do Buckingham Palace then walk to Trafalgar Square, though I would try and do Buckingham Palace, Natural History + Science museums, and Hyde Park.

You can also walk around the London Bridge area, visiting Borough Market, Shard (overpriced but if you like your good views then could be worth it, alternatively there's Sky Garden which is free but you need to book in advance) and Tower Bridge.

I'd also recommend London Zoo, it's great but pricey. Kew Gardens if you like your plants/nature. Greenwich Royal Observatory I'd put further down the list, but if you have time then I'd check it out. London Dungeon if you have time and nothing else to do. Avoid Madame Tussaud's, it's overpriced shit.

Can't help much as I haven't been to the cities (bat London) mentioned, others in the same country, yep but not those ones.

But have a great time man, and just be open with the people you meet. These are very safe places, I'm sure you'll have an adventure. Best of luck!

Remember that all "National" museums in the UK are free. And so is the Tate Modern, if you like modern art.
Here's a list of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museums_of_the_United_Kingdom

One issue with London is that you're going in the school holidays, so the Natural History and Science museums will be packed with kids.

So pick the things you want to see and go early, before parents have time to get their kids out of bed and catch the train to London.
In the afternoons, go to things with more of an adult appeal.

The London underground rail system is the best way to travel, but is more awkward to use than other EU cities and gets very expensive if you just buy single tickets all the time. Read up on getting an "oyster card" or use a contactless credit card (it essentially caps your 'bill' at the daily travelcard cost) to save money.
Most EU cities have the much nicer system of buying a cheap ticket and being good for travel anywhere the next 60 minutes. But we are British and must have a stupidly complex, expensive and unsubsidised system.

For Paris, the Eiffel Tower is well worth a look, as are the Louvre and Musée d'Orsay. But these have massive queues (worse than in London in my experience), so you'll need to go early. The Louvre is particular is absolutely huge. You can easily spend a whole day there and still not see it all. The Mona Lisa is massively overrated, but other exhibits are fantastic.
The Arc de Triomphe and it's associated roundabout is worth seeing, followed by a walk along the Champs Elysees to look at the ridiculously expensive designer shops.
The Invalides (a Napoleonic museam, originally a hospital for war veterans I think) is worth a visit if you like military history or big buildings with lots of Napoleonic bling.
The Pomidou is famous for modern art, though I never had time to go inside.
Monmartre (area around the Moulin Rouge) is worth a look, though it's a bit touristy, which somewhat ruins its reputation as a haven of scandalous artists.
I seem to remember the Bastile quarter being very good, though I can't remember what I actually did there. It's a bit of a student area, so it has a lot of great (and affordable) restaurants/bars/clubs and isn't a tourist trap.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
London = 6 Nights
Paris = 3 Nights
Amsterdam = 5 Nights
Berlin = 6 Nights
Munich = 1 Night

In London, I would stay near Kings Cross station and eat at the pubs there. The curry they serve in pubs is awesome.

Paris, I like to stay in the Marais. there's a restaurant the called Bucheron, it's great. there's also a bakery there that is amazing but I don't remember the name.

Amsterdam, stay anywhere. Make sure you eat at Mappa . Hang out around that area, it's awesome.

Munich...... I staid in a not so good area there. Great town. English Gardens are great. Make sure you try that Bavarian Potato salad.

Recreat3

Go to burgermeister in berlin. Its kind of under a train line but its always packed and popular. Good burgers for sure!

I agree with the london guy about honest burger. Its hyped on tripadvisor but when i ate it i wasnt that impressed, it was just Ok.

Munich is typically a good one-day/one-night stay while you're moving around Bavaria seeing all the castles and cute little towns

Amsterdam = 5 Nights

The Red Light district is worth walking through for an hour or so, but don't waste a lot of time there. Get a doner kebab and fries with Samourai sauce. Lots of amazing Indonesian food in the city, too. The Anne Frank House, Van Gough and Resistance Museums are great. Take a canal sightseeing cruise. The Heineken Experience is incredibly touristy but actually kind of fun. Lots of great craft beer bars in the city. De Pijp is a really cool neighborhood, as are the Nine Streets. Take a train out to Haarlem and spend a day there. My favorite beer bar in the country, Uiltje, is in Haarlem.

Fritz

Best burger in Berlin is to be found at District Môt. At least the burger has won the first price at burgers and beats at prince charles a couple of times in a row.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
London... Burgers: Honest Burgers, Dip n Flip, Dirty Burger. Plus the best pizza is at Franco Manca (not literally the best but the best chain which you will not have to travel for)

Nice trip. I did Europe solo about 4 years ago and went to London, Amsterdam, and Paris in that order. Not sure if you've traveled solo before, but it actually isn't that bad because when you start talking people will know you're not from around there and will be inquisitive. I can't say I liked London that much. Felt like New York, just cleaner. However I loved Amsterdam for the chill vibe and beautiful, friendly people and Paris for the art and architecture. If you like bikes, see about doing a bike tour. Riding bikes is very common place in Amsterdam. Knowing a little French is helpful when it comes time to get something to eat in Paris. At least learn how to say hello, thank you, and goodbye in French. Also if you want to be cheap don't scoff at franchise places like Mcdonalds. Their menu in Paris is pretty different and better health-wise than what I see in the States.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Munich: go to the Seehaus Biergarten located in the heart of the English garden and get a Mass beer with a Steckerlfisch.

Enjoy the naked students around the Eisbach and pay the Eisbach surfers a visit.

Jumeira

Banned
Check out Camden market in london, great shops and stalls, nice bars, huge crowds though
This. Also you must check out the nightlife in London, doesn't mean hitting clubs but do take a stroll in Leicester Square straight into many of the popular streets, book a show at the Theatre, visit British Museum, Science Museum, take a walk down Greenwich Park to the Prime Meridian (good photo op to stand 0,0,0 lon/lat) . There's so much to do in London but I'd highly recommend the above.

Munich: swim the Eisbach and go to Olympia Park. Also don't drink water, only Helles.

Oh try Russ'n too, if you can. It's the best bier for Summer.

Simplet

I really didn't intend to play the snobbish European when I entered this thread but...

It will also be my first trip to Europe ever so any recommendations for good restaurants ( specially burgers )

Come on. It's just three weeks of your life, try some new stuff, live a little.

Better to eat interesting new food even if you end up not liking it than the same shit you've been eating every day of your life, even if it's done great.

I really didn't intend to play the snobbish European when I entered this thread but...

Come on. It's just three weeks of your life, try some new stuff, live a little.

Better to eat interesting new food even if you end up not liking it than the same shit you've been eating every day of your life, even if it's done great.
I agree wth this - but then also I genuinely think you can get the best burgers in the world in London, so...

Cizard

For London:

Japanese: Kanada-ya, Shoryu Ramen, Bone Daddies

Abeno!? :(

Also for London I highly recommend Top Secret Comedy Club, it's cheap and good fun. http://thetopsecretcomedyclub.co.uk/

As for Amsterdam I'd recommend:

Dutch Food: Moeders (small, need to to make reservations), Haesje Claes

Japanese: Japanese pancake world, ramen-ya, I hear Sapporo ramen is good too but i've not been.

Vegetarian: Waaghals, Bettys (small, need to to make reservations)

Cocktail: Door 74 (speakeasy, need to call), Hiding in plain sight

Mostly just random places I like but hey, you might see somthing you like here.

Would definitely help if I knew where in London you were staying but the advice I give to everyone is to buy a book of walks and just follow them round the city, learning and drinking heavily.

Top Bottom