• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 Reloaded |OT| For Wii, James? No, in HD

Pezking

Sold my Wii version as soon as this was announced.
Loved the game. Definitely one of the best single player experiences I had in a 1st person shooter this generation.

Will definitely buy this - in 2-3 months.

On Wii this was the worst controlling game I've ever played. In terms of modern FPS, anyway.

If I can get this for cheap second hand down the line I'd be interested. Playing with a decent joypad is something I wanted as soon as I realised it was horrible on Wii.

It'd have to be around the £10 mark though.

Foliorum Viridum said:
On Wii this was the worst controlling game I've ever played. In terms of modern FPS, anyway.

If I can get this for cheap second hand down the line I'd be interested. Playing with a decent joypad is something I wanted as soon as I realised it was horrible on Wii.

The default configuration wasn't very good, but once you tweaked it the controls were delightful.

I spent ages tweaking and finding setups and it just felt like shit constantly. The CC wasn't suited for an FPS, either. Maybe if I had the Pro but I don't.

I'm glad it's the only FPS I've ever played on Wii. Well, other than the Metroid trilogy.

fernoca

hardcastlemccormick said:
The default configuration wasn't very good, but once you tweaked it the controls were delightful.
Yep.
Plus you could/can play the Wii version with a Classic Controller too.

Hiltz

Yeah, the default settings on the Wii remote controls were bad but once you customize them properly, they work perfectly. I tried using the CC PRo as well but found movement and aiming to be sluggish and clunky.

The single player mode was a lot of fun at least until the last two levels where they throw in stuff to make the experience frusterating and cheap.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Htown said:
They're burying this game again. It comes out one week before Modern Warfare 3.

The Wii version came out one week before Black Ops.

Activision doesn't actually want this game to succeed. They keep making the games so they can hold onto the Bond license in case they ever make Bond movies again, but they have no interest in having any shooter taking attention away from Call of Duty.
That actually sounds very plausible.

eshwaaz

As others have said - really enjoyed the game on the Wii and am interested in playing it with improved visuals, but I'm not buying this a second time for $10 more than I paid originally. I'll consider it at $30 or less.

eshwaaz

Hiltz said:
Yeah, the default settings on the Wii remote controls were bad but once you customize them properly, they work perfectly. I tried using the CC PRo as well but found movement and aiming to be sluggish and clunky.

The single player mode was a lot of fun at least until the last two levels where they throw in stuff to make the experience frusterating and cheap.
Agreed 100%. Everything the game smartly avoided up until that point is thrown in near the end, unfortunately leaving a bad taste after an otherwise well-designed, balanced experience.

Is the online any good? Sounds kind of tempting given it is goldeneye and it's 1080p/60fps. Won't pay any where near $60 for it though.

Effect

H_Prestige said:
Is the online any good? Sounds kind of tempting given it is goldeneye and it's 1080p/60fps. Won't pay any where near $60 for it though.
I found the Wii version's online fun. However leveling was incredibly slow. Eventually hackers came in, not sure how wide spread they ever got though. Hopefully the PS3/360 versions will stop that and make things faster.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Great thread title is great. Honestly, I wasn't going to bother with this until later on down the road, but that combat video pushed all the right buttons for me. I'll squeeze it in before Christmas, no doubt.

Neuromancer said:
Can't wait. Only question is, do I want it for the PS3 so I can play it with the Move/sharpshooter, or the 360 for my preferred traditional controller (not to mention achievements?)

Decisions, decisions.
I'm leaning towards 360.

Boerseun

Banned
Alextended said:
I wouldn't say Wiimote offers accurate pointing. It only does that in lightgun games where you have the calibration process (which works as long as you play from the same spot you calibrated in). But it's definitely reliable in that it will behave the same from the moment you start to the moment you stop playing so your brain adjusts and it feels like pointing, even though it's not. Not that you'd even know in normal conditions since you play with your hands in your lap like with any controller rather than hold it in front of your face like some people are doing. It definitely doesn't feel like you're dragging a cursor around though. But yeah, it's not accurate to describe it as accurate pointing outside lightgun games. Just SEGA's lightgun games even, Capcom's and EA's don't even bother with the 1:1 calibration options which ruined them. Oh, and the pointer controls in GoldenEye weren't implemented very well either, they're far better in stuff like Red Steel 2, the COD games, etc. They're not horrible though.

I am willing to admit that I'm a bit negative about Move.

I got a day one UK launch Wii on import. It took a while before developers really started taking advantage of the platform's strengths for FPS, but once they got there and started offering highly configurable control options the whole thing just took off for me, to the point where currently nothing can touch Wii controls for FPS (in my opinion).

Although Move only came out relatively recently it doesn't feel like we'll see a repeat of the Wii situation, where developers just needed time to get to grips with the technology. The problem seems to be that the core tech for FPS gameplay in Move is lacking to such an extent that there can never be any improvement or catch-up. Move will always be guessing where you're pointing, will always have cursor drift, and will always feature laggy input. I don't see how this will change.

Whether Wii incorporates true pointing or not is debatable, I won't disagree with you there. But for my two cents, I'll say I'm pointing at the screen and it feels like I'm shooting where I'm aiming at. I simply cannot replicate that experience with Move. Yes, the Ps3 version will have superior graphics but graphics have never been an incentive for me. Heck, I'm getting Modern Warfare 3 on Wii because I know the superior controls will make it worth it.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Do you own a Wii? Were you playing your own copy of the game? Did you take the time and effort to adjust the controls to your requirements?

Once you know what you need from Wii controls it's possible to get it in any game with a sufficiently robust control configuration. That would include Modern Warfare, Goldeneye, Red Steel 2, both Conduits, Black Ops, etc. As a reference, with Conduit 2, my most recent Wii FPS, it took me less than two minutes to configure the game for optimum controls. But again, I've owned a Wii since day one, so by now I should know which configuration works for me and which doesn't.

Yes, I've had my Wii since launch. I spent about an hour on Boxing Day last year trying to configure the controls, even taking settings from people on this forum, but nothing felt good.

Compared to 360/PS3 pad and KB/M it was just horrible. I can't play an FPS that way. The Wii is great for many things, but judging by Goldeneye, FPS is not one of them.

Rich!

Foliorum Viridum said:

Dude. You could have just used one of these:

315VCP3ATSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

l_03969512.jpg

I played through Goldeneye on the Wii with a Gamecube controller and it was superb. Your complaints about the Wii version are pretty pointless considering you could have used a gamecube controller and get an identical experience to what you will with the 360 controller (minus the HD graphics, of course).

Luckyman said:
What COD engine is this?

It's not. It's based on the Dead Space: Extraction engine.

GC controller is horrible for FPS and I only have the normal CC, not Pro.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Nothing you guys can say will change my mind - it controlled like shit. ;) Hopefully this version will be configured for the 360 pad properly so I can give the game a better go. The fact it'll have upgraded visuals is a plus, too!

Rich!

Foliorum Viridum said:
Anyway, I'm done with this. Nothing you guys can say will change my mind - it controlled like shit. ;)

In your opinion.

In my opinion, it controlled like a motherfucking dream.

amitlu

Banned
This was a great game on Wii and one of the better FPSs in recent years so I'm definitely picking this up again for a replay. The Wii pointer controls when configured right were amazing so I will be picking up the Ps3 version for move. Some of the levels in this game like the night club and satellite mountain are iconic and I still remember them as great and fun experiences.

I honestly don't get at all how people think dual analog can be better than pointer controls for shooters. The core game mechanic is literally pointing at an enemy and pulling a trigger, how can anything be better than a literal pointer for this task? Move isn't as precise as the wiimote for pointing in my experience but its perfectly adequate and still an enormous step up over sluggishly pushing the crosshair around with an analog stick and relying on the autoaim to do the work for you. Move aiming was great in Resistance 3 post-patch and Infamous 2 FoB so hopefully Eurocom took some lessons from them on implementation to get it right.

Does anyone know if Eurocom did the Dead Space: Extraction ps3/move port in house or farmed it out? Because the Move pointer controls in that are excellent so if so it speaks well to the quality of Goldeneye.

I spent like an hour and a half trying to find a configuration that made turning not feel like an struggle, eventually just plugging in the classic controller and cruising through the game. I can't play FPS with a pointer.

pakkit

Banned
Some people can't figure out pointer controls, and that's fine. But to turn around and say that the game "controls like shit" is the same as complaining about any gamepad games because you couldn't figure out how to handle the sensitivity of the joysticks.

Basically, don't be disingenuous and dismiss a game because you can't figure out motion control.

Holy shit, didn't realize this was a $60 title.
Activision being Activision.

Yeah, I'll wait for a sale .....then again, it's Activision

TheMan

Game will be down to 20 bucks soon enough.

Hell, bulletstorm is already at 20- gonna pick that up soon.

Babalu.

wow this is the first time i'm hearing about this game. AWESOME!

never got the chance to play the wii version since I never had a wii, and was always disappointed that I couldn't.

This will be a day 1 sale purchase for me. The first sale that brings this down to 40 I will buy. Hopefully black friday will see a nice drop!

But does anyone know if the multiplayer will be as customizable as it was on the n64 version? Changing what guns were on each map and having like moonraker matches only or explosive matches only?

And this isn't a straight remake right? They changed a bunch of stuff from the n64 version? Will the old classic maps be back for mulitplayer?

as long as super customizable multi player online and splitscreen matches are here, this will be mine!

releasing a week after BF3 and a week before MW3.......... rou ouh

game looks good though, will rent at red box and pick up on black friday, i'll assume it gets a price drop quick.

always gonna use Jaws B^)

i am tempted by that PS3 move bundle, dont have move and want it, hmmmmmm

Fox Mulder

PinkCrayon said:
lol nice thread title.

think i'll be picking this up, looks pretty good.
Yeah I've got some amazon credit and ended up liking quantum of solace's online multiplayer. I don't like CoD online much, but I'm always down for a Bond shooter.

I have the Wii version, but I'm really considering getting this game on PS3. I've played it on Dolphin, but it's not the same as a real "from the ground up" HD game. Not to mention the extra MP modes with more players than the Wii version and MI-6 mode.

legbone

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, thread title is amazing

Also, nice to hear this runs at 60fps

great news. love me some 60fps. i can't pick this up day one, but i will definitely pick it up in a few months. my gaming budget is maxed out right now.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yes, I've had my Wii since launch. I spent about an hour on Boxing Day last year trying to configure the controls, even taking settings from people on this forum, but nothing felt good.

Compared to 360/PS3 pad and KB/M it was just horrible. I can't play an FPS that way. The Wii is great for many things, but judging by Goldeneye, FPS is not one of them.

for me it is exactly opposite. I can not play fps any other way. Wii feels so natural. Point and shoot. How hard it is that? I can not even walk and shoot using normal controls. I have tried it few times.

I'd love to get this since I don't own a Wii. I don't think I'll pick it up at launch, but I'm definitely interested. I could use a good Bond game after Blood Stone.

Mechazawa

Really undecided on this. Picking it up for Wii was always in the cards, but now I have to decide between 1080/60fps, which is a really god damn rare thing to see these days, or cruddy Wii performance but with the pointer controls everyone raves about.

I'm in agreement with the consensus here, absolutely loved the Wii controls and will look to get this for the ps3.

FV is just unable to adjust.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can/'t say I agree either with fv's trolling of the control method (and the platform for the genre, lol) or with people saying it controlled like a "dream" or whatever similar. It's certainly better than any dual analog control setup since it's not as bad as the original Red Steel or something like it but it's really not a very good implementation of pointer controls regardless of settings. Red Steel 2, the later COD games, and others, all control better and do show it's the definitive control method for a console FPS.

Amped to pick this up during the week. Hope it breaks street date in Australia on Thursday so I can give it a thrashing at our weekly games night.

Hearing good things about the wii version makes me want to try this game out, but I will buy it on the cheap, just don't have time for many new games right now.

Top Bottom