• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 Reloaded |OT| For Wii, James? No, in HD

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
There's already several playthrough videos on youtube. Looks pretty good except it seems they've dumbed down the stealth gameplay by showing all enemy positions on the minimap. In the Wii version they only show up when they're within sight of the player and disappear when they move out of sight.

Xater

Neuromancer said:
No offense Arthur but I seldom agree with any of your reviews. I'll need to try this on my own.

Don't know why Arthur should be making this up. Just watched the QL on Giantbomb and Jeff also mentioned some framerate issues in MP.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Which version to get? PS3 or 360?

This looks like a lot of fun. I'll pick it up after I've completed RAGE.

StevieP

Banned
cyberheater said:
Which version to get? PS3 or 360?

This looks like a lot of fun. I'll pick it up after I've completed RAGE.

If you have move, PS3. Better control method than dual-analog.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
StevieP said:
If you have move, PS3. Better control method than dual-analog.

I've got move but I prefer sitting down with a gamepad comfy couch style for fps's.

Sent to die, as Activision likes to do with games from their small studios. $60, and releasing between BF3 and Cod, good luck with that :(.

I want to play it out of nostalgia but not @ $60.

StevieP

Banned
cyberheater said:
I've got move but I prefer sitting down with a gamepad comfy couch style for fps's.

You can sit down and rest your Wiimotes/Moves on your lap just as you would a dual-analog pad - I actually find it far more comfortable with split controllers over pads.

Regardless, with the PS3 you have that choice. You can try them both and find enjoyment either way. It's a good game, in SP at least.

I want to play it out of nostalgia but not @ $60.

If you've got a Wii you can buy it for $10-15. If you've got a PC (Sandybridge-based) that can run Dolphin, rip it via your homebrewed Wii console - it looks and plays even better than the HD versions.

StevieP said:
You can sit down and rest your Wiimotes/Moves on your lap just as you would a dual-analog pad - I actually find it far more comfortable with split controllers over pads.

Regardless, with the PS3 you have that choice. You can try them both and find enjoyment either way. It's a good game, in SP at least.

If you've got a Wii you can buy it for $10-15. If you've got a PC (Sandybridge-based) that can run Dolphin, rip it via your homebrewed Wii console - it looks and plays even better than the HD versions.

Very interested at option 2 actually, i got Mario Galaxy running a while ago on it, thanks for the clue.

tusken77

VideoMan said:
There's already several playthrough videos on youtube. Looks pretty good except it seems they've dumbed down the stealth gameplay by showing all enemy positions on the minimap. In the Wii version they only show up when they're within sight of the player and disappear when they move out of sight.

There's three HUD settings: Normal, Dots Always On, Radar Mode Off.....in MI-6 Ops at least.

cyberheater

StevieP said:

Bitching. I might just give this a go. I'll await until I find it mega cheap in the bargain bin. Is it still widescreen?

StevieP

Banned
cyberheater said:
Bitching. I might just give this a go. I'll await until I find it mega cheap in the bargain bin. Is it still widescreen?

Yep, supports 16:9. I originally bought and played the game on a 4:3 CRT at my parents' place on an actual Wii, then ripped it and brought it to my place to play through it again in 1080p on Dolphin. Note that I had to OC my i5 2500k to maintain 60fps when there was a lot of action on the screen, much as with Mario Galaxy.

StallionFree's Dolphin shots were posted earlier in the thread as an example:
Dolphin%202010-11-06%2017-59-30-52.jpg

Regardless, whether you want to emulate it or purchase the HD versions - I can vouch for the single player campaign. Great game, even with a few shitty QTE segments and frustrating CoD "shooting gallery" portions near the end. The local multiplayer is OK (with 4 people) but I wasn't a huge fan of the CoD-lite online multiplayer with predefined loadouts. I'm not sure how much of it is fixed in this port - others can speak to that.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Like the game but fuck double dipping at full price. If it was $20 maybe.

tusken77

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
There's one review which they gave it a 9/10.

Nice positive review. I'm liking that it "features a campaign that is longer than most of the shooters these days." Good to hear.

Xater said:
Don't know why Arthur should be making this up. Just watched the QL on Giantbomb and Jeff also mentioned some framerate issues in MP.
I don't know why either; I wasn't accusing him of lying. I was responding to his "Activision is burying it because it's terrible" comment. Basically I find myself disagreeing with him so often on reviews or impressions that if he says a game is bad, my ears perk up because then there's a good chance I'll like it.

Anyway, so far I'd say it's a pretty good game. The parts where you can actually stealth around are great; the parts where everyone is automatically on alert and shooting at you no matter what you do are not so hot, and very CODish. Also I don't like how they take control away from me during cutscenes in the middle of missions. It's very distracting, you can't even look around while one is happening.

cyberheater

StevieP said:

I've got a dual core Intel running at 3.0Ghz, 4gig mem and a GTX 460. Will that run this game at 720p (I use a projector) at 60fps?

Tizoc

This is playable without a Move controller right?
Will get this, though I'm not in a hurry for it ^_^;

StevieP

Banned
tusken77 said:
Nice positive review. I'm liking that it "features a campaign that is longer than most of the shooters these days." Good to hear.

The campaign is mostly great - much better than your standard setpiece/shooting-gallery oriented CoD/BF/etc garbage. You can (for most areas) choose to stealth it out... hiding in crawlways, shooting out cameras with silenced pistols, etc... or you can gung-ho it and shoot your standard flaming red barrels and spray machine gun fire. And it's very satisfying either way.

I've got a dual core Intel running at 3.0Ghz, 4gig mem and a GTX 460. Will that run this game at 720p (I use a projector) at 60fps?

The videocard matters less than the CPU in regards to emulation. I guess it depends which Intel CPU you have at 3ghz... but it should be OK. Especially if you're willing to throw a little overclocking into the mix.

the parts where everyone is automatically on alert and shooting at you no matter what you do are not so hot

Thankfully that doesn't happen very often.

cyberheater

StevieP said:
...The videocard matters less than the CPU in regards to emulation. I guess it depends which Intel CPU you have at 3ghz... but it should be OK. Especially if you're willing to throw a little overclocking into the mix...

Thanks. I'll give this a go at some point. I had better go and set up Dolphin on my system. I've got a bluetooth dongle lying about somewhere as well.

/ goes off to search the loft...

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
tusken77 said:
There's three HUD settings: Normal, Dots Always On, Radar Mode Off.....in MI-6 Ops at least.
Those options aren't available in the single player campaign though.

I have GE007 on Wii and I've played it on Dolphin, its not all smooth sailing emulating the game. I have an i5 2500K oc to 4.5ghz, 8 GB ram, and a GTX 570 and the game still only runs at 30 FPS, there are random framerate drops when there should not be and audio issues as well. Game is completely playable and everything, but I just want to give peeps reasonable expectations if they go that route.

I'm picking up the ps3 version after work today.

StevieP

Banned
hioh631 said:
I have GE007 on Wii and I've played it on Dolphin, its not all smooth sailing emulating the game. I have an i5 2500K oc to 4.5ghz, 8 GB ram, and a GTX 570 and the game still only runs at 30 FPS, there are random framerate drops when there should not be and audio issues as well. Game is completely playable and everything, but I just want to give peeps reasonable expectations if they go that route.

I'm picking up the ps3 version after work today.

Same CPU, same overclock - mine runs at (around)60FPS when there are no enemies in my vicinity, and (around)30FPS when there are. I figure AI scripting must be pretty heavy or something lol (and they do actually seem a bit smarter than your usual shooter).

As for audio issues, I haven't run into too many there - aside from the usual Dolphin HLE stuff where I have to save and restart to get my audio back. That happens a lot with the emulator in general with HLE.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Two more reviews.

Gamevortex 9/10

TGN 9/10
Yeah, just saw the second review.

Looks good so far but I hope the major review sites post some reviews later today.

Curious to see what the game gets.

Also, I remember IGN saying that the multiplayer's early build was disappointing compared to the single player campaign. To those who have this game, is it improved and is the multiplayer pretty good? Are there a lot of people playing?

You know I really enjoyed Quantum of Solace. Completely under rated in my opinion.

I'll probably pick this up on Black Friday or maybe later. I played too much Goldeneye and watched too many Bond movie marathons on basic cable in my youth to not be somewhat interested in the game

This also reminds me I have Bloodstone sitting unfinished on steam. Seems like a good game but I didn't like the gamepad support and kept forgetting to go back. Time to power through!

SkylineRKR

Game gives me a good vibe, I liked Goldeneye 64 and like Bond anyway. Even enjoyed Blood Stone when I fished it out of the bargain bin.

But full buck for this and right inbetween BF3 and CoD?

I think I'll wait, I'll likely only play SP really.

tusken77

StevieP said:
The campaign is mostly great - much better than your standard setpiece/shooting-gallery oriented CoD/BF/etc garbage. You can (for most areas) choose to stealth it out... hiding in crawlways, shooting out cameras with silenced pistols, etc... or you can gung-ho it and shoot your standard flaming red barrels and spray machine gun fire. And it's very satisfying either way.

Campaign's definitely gonna be good fun. That said, as someone who used to love setting myself little challenges in Goldeneye on the N64, I think most of my replay value will be provided by Spec Ops.

Neuromancer said:
Initial impressions are positive. Nice rain effects, smooth controls. No real complaints so far. (Traditional modern game stuff like having control taken away during some cutscene like sequences, enemies scripted to appear and start shooting even when you're being stealthy as possible.)
Wait, are you saying this game doesn't have this stuff?

dreamfall

I really do want to play this- are there differences between the console versions? Might be neat to utilize the Sharpshooter with this title. I miss the n64 days!

Neuromancer said:
No, it does, sorry for the poor wording.
Would you still say it feels like the original game's campaign? Or is it more in line with today's FPS's?

I really liked the original's objective based structure and just dropped you in the middle of a level and let you go about it your own way. Today's shooters are just move from point A to B while shooting waves of bad guys until you get to the boss.

H_Prestige said:
Would you still say it feels like the original game's campaign? Or is it more in line with today's FPS's?

I really liked the original's objective based structure and just dropped you in the middle of a level and let you go about it your own way. Today's shooters are just move from point A to B while shooting waves of bad guys until you get to the boss.
I'd say it's somewhere in the middle. It's definitely not as open as the original, not by a long shot. Levels are more linear but there are times, when you're stealthing around and completing the secondary objectives, it does feel a little like the old Goldeneye.

plc268

StevieP said:
Yep, supports 16:9. I originally bought and played the game on a 4:3 CRT at my parents' place on an actual Wii, then ripped it and brought it to my place to play through it again in 1080p on Dolphin. Note that I had to OC my i5 2500k to maintain 60fps when there was a lot of action on the screen, much as with Mario Galaxy.

StallionFree's Dolphin shots were posted earlier in the thread as an example:
http://public.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1p2OlgkPt-H_KN_RWq1GOn5ecYOgppSgx0FjwNJz7IwpDwk4AvssIaRrDg9qa6LRjF2h0Bak_sW-NYOZrTarHZYQ/Dolphin%202010-11-06%2017-59-30-52.jpg[/IM]

Regardless, whether you want to emulate it or purchase the HD versions - I can vouch for the single player campaign. Great game, even with a few shitty QTE segments and frustrating CoD "shooting gallery" portions near the end. The local multiplayer is OK (with 4 people) but I wasn't a huge fan of the CoD-lite online multiplayer with predefined loadouts. I'm not sure how much of it is fixed in this port - others can speak to that.[/QUOTE]

I know you can emulate the wiimote with a mouse, but is it possible to make the game feel like a PC fps with wasd and proper mouse control?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I played the first level with the Move. I don't think I like it very much. Too imprecise when used for turning (this is with the nunchuck as well).

I think they game is really meant to be played with the gamepad. There aren't any wiimote/move specific waggle minigames are there?

FlyinJ said:
I played the first level with the Move. I don't think I like it very much. Too imprecise when used for turning (this is with the nunchuck as well).

I think they game is really meant to be played with the gamepad. There aren't any wiimote/move specific waggle minigames are there?
Not that I've heard.

For the sake of comparison have you played other shooters with Move? I've only played Resistance 3 so I'm curious as to how they'd stack up.

Thinkin' I kinda want this...skipped the Wii version and I've always enjoyed shooters that give me a stealthy option. Nothing like creeping around using a silencer to make headshots.

Whoompthereitis said:
Thinkin' I kinda want this...skipped the Wii version and I've always enjoyed shooters that give me a stealthy option. Nothing like creeping around using a silencer to make headshots.
Approaching two soldiers chatting with one another and shooting them both quickly in the head with your silenced pistol is really satisfying.

_woLf

Skipped the Wii version, but got this one on 360.

On top of the earlier code posted, here's another code from Amazon's preorder that everyone can use:

las3r3ras3r

It's the Black Moonraker Laser Rifle skin code from the Amazon.com preorder.

I really hope the paintball mode code is like this too...

tusken77

I've spoken to TTP, asking him about the Move performance. He's planning to carry out the analysis but, due to the amount of games out at the moment, he's not sure exactly when he'll be publishing it.

Top Bottom