• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 Reloaded |OT| For Wii, James? No, in HD

Mechazawa said:
Really undecided on this. Picking it up for Wii was always in the cards, but now I have to decide between 1080/60fps, which is a really god damn rare thing to see these days, or cruddy Wii performance but with the pointer controls everyone raves about.

You could probably find the Wii version for cheap if that matters to you. I didn't think the performance of the Wii version was that bad. I never felt frustrated by it, I thought it was pretty good. As a comparison I could not handle playing Conduit 2, it seems way too sluggish on a consistent level.

Foliorum Viridum said:
GC controller is horrible for FPS and I only have the normal CC, not Pro.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Nothing you guys can say will change my mind - it controlled like shit. ;) Hopefully this version will be configured for the 360 pad properly so I can give the game a better go. The fact it'll have upgraded visuals is a plus, too!

try prime and red steel 2 it trounces anything pad related...

AzureRonin said:
You could probably find the Wii version for cheap if that matters to you. I didn't think the performance of the Wii version was that bad. I never felt frustrated by it, I thought it was pretty good. As a comparison I could not handle playing Conduit 2, it seems way too sluggish on a consistent level.

It is actually $9.99 on Gamefly, or it was during the recent sale.

legacyzero

Banned
So... Just how close is this game to the original Goldeneye?

Am I gonna be like "OH SHIT NOSTALGIA!!" or "WTF THIS WASN"T IN THE GAME.."

legacyzero said:

Neither, really.

The game doesn't really have anything that's like, "There wasn't an underwater space mission where it's like, "WTF." But it also doesn't have anything that screams nostalgia either.

legacyzero said:

It is a complete retelling so it's pretty different. There are some similar sequences but don't buy it expecting it to be a level by level remake.

Grisby

legacyzero said:

Not too much oh shit nostalgia but you'll recognize a lot of the scenes. Its a better blend then a full on remake IMO.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuzzy said:
I own it on the Wii and will pick it up on the PS3 once it's cheap. I'm thinking some time in January.
I bet it'll be cheap sooner than that though.

Here are the Achievement/Trophy lists for those who care.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/goldeneye-007-reloaded/trophies/

Ugh, mutliplayer trophies that seem to be a bitch to get. Hell the 007 classic difficulty all objective ones seem annoying as well. :|

Effect

One of the best things about getting the Wii version from Amazon was that Goldeneye 007 movie DVD they included with the pre-order. Since the story of Goldeneye 007 was rewritten for a more current time period (by the original screenwriter I believe) it's interesting to see the direction they went it and compare it to the original film (having it on hand helps). One shouldn't go into the game though looking for a remake of the original Goldeneye 007 game or even a straight adaption of the film. There are a lot of things that are similar and based on the film but a number of things that are clearly different as a result of the rewrite. The original game isn't even a factor outside of the different local mulitplayer modes.

krpiper said:
Yeah I'll pick this up when I'm bored and have nothig else to play, or when its $20

This has bots right?
Not that I've heard which is a real shame, I love playing against bots.

Every MP game would have bots, if I ran the world.

Babalu.

so my friend just sent me a text saying if you preorder from best buy you get tag mode and invisibility mode but if you preorder from gamestop you get paintball mode.

is there any truth to this? Are these not going to be in the game unless you buy them as DLC or something?

anyone clarify? I dont want to pay full price for this nor do I want to support taking out some of the best modes and make them exclusive to shops.

legacyzero said:

It has nothing to do with the N64 game. This is an entirely different game that happens to be based on the same movie.

Chuckpebble

Babalu. said:
so my friend just sent me a text saying if you preorder from best buy you get tag mode and invisibility mode but if you preorder from gamestop you get paintball mode.

is there any truth to this? Are these not going to be in the game unless you buy them as DLC or something?

anyone clarify? I dont want to pay full price for this nor do I want to support taking out some of the best modes and make them exclusive to shops.

I believe it unlocks them from the start as opposed to having to gain gobs of XP in multiplayer to unlock them. The Wii game worked this way as well, there are online game modes that are only accessible after leveling up quite a bit. There was a pre-order bonus that unlocked these.

As an aside, the CoD crowd complained that leveling was slow, wonder if thats been addressed? Not that it mattered to me much, not like I was expecting a sequel every year.

fernoca

Babalu. said:

It is kinda unknown at the moment.

As you can see, on this thread (and my own reply :p)

fernoca said:
Kinda unknown at the moment. :p
Both Gamestop and Activision said completely different things.

-One Activision rep said that you can use it offline and that the code unlocks it only for online.
-A few days later, another says that you can use it offline but during Mi6 missions only. That the code is required for all multiplayer aspects (online and offline).

Gamestop, on their site has it as:
-Available for Split Screen and online Private Matches
-Available for public and "provate" matches" (on their flyer).
-Multiplayer Reloaded - Expanded modes and modifiers for Splitscreen and Online: Play the classic modes you love like Paintball, Melee Only and Golden Gun.

If anything, at the moment the Paintball:
-Code is to unlock it for multiplayer (offline and online)
-Can still be used offline during Mi6 Missions

Unless they update again. :p
If anything, there's always DLC!!!
It's in the disc anyway, so don't expect a big download. :p
(Haha..me repeating the same line at the beginning.. :p)

Anth0ny

Htown said:
They're burying this game again. It comes out one week before Modern Warfare 3.

The Wii version came out one week before Black Ops.

That is pretty hilarious. The fuck are they thinking?

I don't recall the bond theme appearing in the wii version at all. Is it in this?

I always felt it should be mandatory that the bond theme is blazing 24/7 in mp for any bond game.

chickdigger802 said:
I don't recall the bond theme appearing in the wii version at all. Is it in this?

I always felt it should be mandatory that the bond theme is blazing 24/7 in mp for any bond game.

The Bond theme wasn't in Blood Stone either.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This is a full-priced release? wow!, I honestly thought this was a xbla/psn title, even with this being Activision I still can't believe they doing this, pretty gutted tbh, I guess I'll have to wait for a price drop :-(

I wish we had some reviews but I suppose in typical Activision fashion we'll have to wait until tomorrow. If they even sent out review copies.

aegies

Activision is burying it because it's terrible. The move controls were horrendous, and playing 360 multiplayer, there was some astonishingly bad framerate issues and input lag. It also doesn't look very good.

I don't like to shit on it, because I like Eurocom. They make great games for Wii. But when I played it a couple of weeks ago, it looked like a disaster.

aegies said:
Activision is burying it because it's terrible. The move controls were horrendous, and playing 360 multiplayer, there was some astonishingly bad framerate issues and input lag. It also doesn't look very good.

I don't like to shit on it, because I like Eurocom. They make great games for Wii. But when I played it a couple of weeks ago, it looked like a disaster.

Does the game hold up when playing with a controller in single player and M16 Ops? I have zero interest in Move or MP.

aegies

The Xtortionist said:
Does the game hold up when playing with a controller in single player and M16 Ops? I have zero interest in Move or MP.

I didn't have a chance to get my hands on singleplayer, but you'd imagine that MP would be comparable, right? Or that MP might actually perform better.

If Activision thought it had a chance in hell, they'd put some muscle behind it. See, well, Goldeneye last year.

aegies said:

No offense Arthur but I seldom agree with any of your reviews. I'll need to try this on my own.

Guess I'll be the guinea pig, I just grabbed it. Installing now.

By the way the Best Buy exclusive code for the tag and invisibility modifiers is:

fu11ypr3load3ed

Looks like anyone can use it. Hopefully the GameStop paintball code will be the same way.

Edit: decided to get the 360 version.

StevieP

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yes, I've had my Wii since launch. I spent about an hour on Boxing Day last year trying to configure the controls, even taking settings from people on this forum, but nothing felt good.

Compared to 360/PS3 pad and KB/M it was just horrible. I can't play an FPS that way. The Wii is great for many things, but judging by Goldeneye, FPS is not one of them.

Does... not... compute

Initial impressions are positive. Nice rain effects, smooth controls. No real complaints so far (other than traditional modern game stuff like having control taken away during some cutscene like sequences, enemies scripted to appear and start shooting even when you're being stealthy as possible.)

EagleEyes

Neuromancer said:
Initial impressions are positive. Nice rain effects, smooth controls. No real complaints so far. (Traditional modern game stuff like having control taken away during some cutscene like sequences, enemies scripted to appear and start shooting even when you're being stealthy as possible.)
Hows the framerate in single player? Any screen tearing?

Top Bottom