• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

I already had the stupid ass shovel. It just wasn't equipped, because I didn't know that equipping was a thing.

Wow that's some horrible UI design there. I thought the "gear" page was a checklist of your current progress, like the pieces of the triforce in the pause menu of old Zelda games. I assumed new clubs purchased at the pro shop automatically upgraded the old ones.

Man. I walked around for hours throughout both the first two zones looking for that goddamn relic.

The game should've told me that the archeologist side quest wasn't a side quest and actually had to be completed first before I could find the relic that advanced the main story. I would've saved a lot of time going back and exploring the first zone if I had known that.

Also wouldn't have hurt to have a sequence that forces you to equip a new piece of gear. I had no idea this game had swappable gear. That UI is atrocious; there should be an inventory screen to the right or something that shows the pieces that could be swapped in to a given slot. Or give the slots an icon so I know that it's a "slot" and not just an inventory list. Something.
Agreed. I had bought that golf club and was trying to talk to the dude but he kept telling me to find a a shovel or something. Probably spent a good 30 minutes looking around. Not as long as you, but I had the same problem.

I got stuck at the office after challenging the third kid for the coach at the beginning of the game. I went to the girl who's on the computer after you beat her and now I just spin around in circles and cannot move at all. Had to restart the game and challenge the third kid again. Meh.

Edit: Now as soon as I left the first section I tried to go to the place where the duck attacks you and it says you shouldn't try to go there and I cannot move at all. What's with all the bugs? Wasn't even twenty minutes since the first. I think I'm done with this game if these bugs continue.

Stoze

Spoilerish question about last area:
Does anyone know if/where there's a rainbow bonus hole on Blue Moon Dunes?

octopiggy

Just finished. Great game. The funniest game I remember playing for a long time.

I still have to play a regular round on the last course to get a scorecard but then my progress screen is full.

I there any sort of post game or anything else to unlock?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any other tips for blue moon dune? Play it super safe or aggressive? Really needs a proper map - the zoom out doesn't show you enough and the initial glimpse is barely enough

I'm speaking almost purely on emotion right now. I am extremely upset.
Wait for the patch?

Edit: Now as soon as I left the first section I tried to go to the place where the duck attacks you and it says you shouldn't try to go there and I cannot move at all. What's with all the bugs? Wasn't even twenty minutes since the first. I think I'm done with this game if these bugs continue.
try pressing B a bunch of times? See OP.

Wait for the patch?

I mean.....that's literally my only option if I want to keep playing. Either that or drop the game entirely.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend everyone who hasn't finished the game to read the link I posted above so your experience isn't ruined like it was for me.

Edit - Also, I absolutely overreacted a bit in my original post, but losing this much progress in a game you're loving is a massive disappointment. Oh well. I've moved on to a game in my Switch backlog (Bulb Boy) and will come back to this one later, I guess.

I mean.....that's literally my only option if I want to keep playing. Either that or drop the game entirely.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend everyone who hasn't finished the game to read the link I posted above so your experience isn't ruined like it was for me.

Damn, sorry to hear this, dude.

I was just coming in here to say I've been busy with Dishonored and wanted to know about any patch progress. Have the devs said anything recently?

I think I'll just put Golf Story on hold for a while, even if it's the main thing I want to play at the moment. Plenty of other games to pass the time.

tebunker

Banned

Dude that sucks. I fortunately didn't experience anything too bad until way past that. I hit a hard lock issue a little after that. And I am not sure if this is a bug
I got the final legendary cache coin from the overworld, but the quest giver gave me nothing and keeps repeating his dialogue. Was I supposed to get something? The quest is no longer in my notebook.

I am still loving he game I got my first Mega Albatross on Cheakybeak in match play. I also now understand why the owner of wellworn is called lucky. 😜

Looking forward to the story wrapping up as I now go pro.

Reading these comments about progress halting bugs is making worried, I'm already 10 hours in. :/

Read the link I posted in my earlier post on this page. Hopefully that'll make you avoid the one that ended my game .

Also, never save and quit if you don't also have the option to exit to the world map This would have fixed my issue if I had this option at that point in the game.

phanphare

Banned
So this just happened to me...

I am crushed. 12 hours completely down the drain.

I'll be honest, this just convinced me to never buy an indie on day one ever again. (this isn't really fair on my part, I'm just really upset)

fuck that sucks. I think I'm gonna chill on this game and wait for a patch. I've had a bug free experience so far but I'd throw my Switch at the wall if I lost my save or couldn't progress anymore.

mazillion

Read the link I posted in my earlier post on this page. Hopefully that'll make you avoid the one that ended my game .

Also, never save and quit if you don't also have the option to exit to the world map This would have fixed my issue if I had this option at that point in the game.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Sucks what happened to you though, hopefully they can patch it so existing save files correct themselves.

Just done with the
Bermuda area
. How far into the game am I roughly? 50-60%? I'm loving it but there is so much stuff coming up that I kinda want to be done with soon. It's way too good to drop it outright.

The Hermit

So this just happened to me...

I am crushed. 12 hours completely down the drain.

I'll be honest, this just convinced me to never buy an indie on day one ever again. (this isn't really fair on my part, I'm just really upset)

This is the glitchiest area of the game. I had the music changing in the middle of the 9-hole to the indoors music, the transition room and some other minor ones...

I haven't encountered any game breaking/progress stopper bug like this one, but I will be much more aware if they ever release another game.

Let's hope they quickly fix this

Edit - Also, I absolutely overreacted a bit in my original post, but losing this much progress in a game you're loving is a massive disappointment. Oh well. I've moved on to a game in my Switch backlog (Bulb Boy) and will come back to this one later, I guess.

That really sucks, and that's incredibly frustrating, but I just gotta say- you're in for a treat with Bulb Boy. That's one of the more underrated games on the eshop IMO, it's really short but incredibly endearing and weirdly terrifying. It's basically Courage the Cowardly Dog the game.

Dude that sucks. I fortunately didn't experience anything too bad until way past that. I hit a hard lock issue a little after that. And I am not sure if this is a bug
I got the final legendary cache coin from the overworld, but the quest giver gave me nothing and keeps repeating his dialogue. Was I supposed to get something? The quest is no longer in my notebook.

The legendary coin isn't meant for the quest giver, you'll find another person to give it to.

That really sucks, and that's incredibly frustrating, but I just gotta say- you're in for a treat with Bulb Boy. That's one of the more underrated games on the eshop IMO, it's really short but incredibly endearing and weirdly terrifying. It's basically Courage the Cowardly Dog the game.

You're totally right about Bulb Boy. I am absolutely loving it.

tebunker

Banned
Turns out they don't let you switch from the putter. :(

i posted hints really early in the thread to win this easily.

First hole move your aim line to just below the circle and then use precision mode to set a target of just to the right of the hole so it should be on a tangent of the circle. This will get you in the neighborhood and you can dial it in from there.

Second green I aimed for the guy and dialed in my strength. I Believe I used the LR for more power but still hit it at like 60%. The key is the line needs to be close to the guy but still on the green.

Last hole use the extra power again but move your aim to the tree behind the guy. You will know it is right when your distance drops to 52 yrds. Then dial in your strength. I believe I went close to full power there too.

I hope this helps. I should have taken screenshots of all these trick shots and challenges so I could share them easier.

tebunker

Banned
How difficult is the game overall? Looking for something relaxing to play.

not very unless you obsess over the challenges like me, and even then they went down after a ten to fifteen minutes for the hardest ones.

I've won macth play 5-0 many times. It's almost too easy. The first tournament I won by 7 strokes.

ghibli99

Not bad, but the actual courses can be pretty diabolical, even the early ones. Just gotta pay attention to the wind and how far your ball carries with the woods, and you'll get it down pretty quickly. Otherwise, get ready for lots of OBs. :)

HeySeuss

I'll echo what the guy above me said. It's not challenging at all outside of a couple side quests and special challenges. There are some frustrating design decisions that make some parts frustrating, but this isn't a game for someone looking for a difficult game. The charm in this game is the story and the presentation to me. It's not mind-numbingly easy, but most things will only take you a couple of tries once you understand the controls.

Edit: 2 guys above me. Diabolical would not be a word I would ever consider using to describe anything in this game. Wind is barely a factor if you account for it.

It probably depends on how many golf games you've played before. Last I played was probably Mario Golf on GC (not as much as on N64) and I found this incredibly easy, but still quite fun. But the mechanics are basically the same, like keeping track of wind speed and direction, hitting up on the ball to have it roll more and be moved by the wind less, down on the ball to loft it higher so it bounces less but is affected by wind more, etc...

Once you figure out the mechanics early on it's fairly easy throughout. The worst challenge for me was the putting challenge on the final world, and that only took like 15-20 minutes (and about 10 tries).

JonnyKong

Is the 5th rock ore really well hidden? I can't see it anywhere.

And I also don't know how to find the snow bandit base.

I'm generally pretty useless.

JonnyKong

Honestly trying to chip a ball into the three secret holes on the snow course is the most irritating thing on this game so far, it's driving me crazy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly trying to chip a ball into the three secret holes on the snow course is the most irritating thing on this game so far, it's driving me crazy.

Did you
defrost
one?

What happens once you’ve finished the game? Is that juts so you can mop up things? I think I still have a course card at blue moon.

And there is a space under the focus/power/tee items in story - do I need to do something for that?

More questions

5th
cacher coin
?

Blue moon
fairy grotto
what does she want?

pbsapeer

Banned
Finished it. Great little game but glad to see the back of the final course - that shit was annoying.

Onward to Stardew Valley!

JonnyKong

Can anyone tell me roughly how much longer I have left in the game?

I'm just about to
play Max Yards in the Tidy Park tournament

mindatlarge

Bloody hell, I really thought I'd be getting towards the end now.

Getting a bit bored to be brutally honest..
Yeah, I'm at the same point of the game as you are and I agree. While I like the game, I'm just kinda puttering my way to the end at this point. Some of the bugs haven't helped either.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm at the same point of the game as you are and I agree. While I like the game, I'm just kinda puttering my way to the end at this point. Some of the bugs haven't helped either.

Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif

JonnyKong

I think ten hours would have been the perfect length for this, it just feels a bit endless right now. I die a little inside everytime it comes up that I have to play against another person.

Evilmaus

I think ten hours would have been the perfect length for this, it just feels a bit endless right now. I die a little inside everytime it comes up that I have to play against another person.

Ten hours? That'd barely be long enough to squeeze in two rounds 🤔

Top Bottom