• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

duckroll

i just shot a ball into a sand trap and it flew off the screen at a 45 degree angle forcing me to get a double bogey lol

On the spooky trails course, every time I hit a pumpkin or whatever it would ricochet like a motherfucker and usually land BEHIND where I started the shot in the first place. Good thing I managed a few Hole-in-ones for the easy holes, or I would have been fucked hard by those triple bogeys.

dafortune

So I think a bug just killed my save file. I got to part where
they throw you a party at the fancy golf club after doing all the stuff required to join
and I couldn't figure out what to do at all. Thinking that I was stuck in a bug I quit the game and when I reloaded the save my character was tiny. I can walk around a little bit but I cant talk to anyone. It sucks cause I was really into the game but Im not gonna replay all that. Hopefully a patch can fix the save. Has this happened to anyone else?

Maiar_m

On the spooky trails course, every time I hit a pumpkin or whatever it would ricochet like a motherfucker and usually land BEHIND where I started the shot in the first place. Good thing I managed a few Hole-in-ones for the easy holes, or I would have been fucked hard by those triple bogeys.

I think that's the intended Pumpkin reaction though?

Okamid3n

I bought the whirly putter, but I don't understand how to use it to curve putts. I'm probably missing an important part of the controls...

Yeah those pumpkins are insane. I've hit a few of them that rocketed me out of bounds, and I get that they're meant to be bouncy, but it could probably be dialled *way* down. Especially when I've seen NPCs hit them and they just get gently bounced into a sand trap or something.

I bought the whirly putter, but I don't understand how to use it to curve putts. I'm probably missing an important part of the controls...

You press X to go into focus mode and you can bend your putting line back and forth, though you still need to take the break of the green into account

I'd give it a 7.5.

A neat 7.5 is better than a sloppy 10

Okamid3n

You press X to go into focus mode and you can bend your putting line back and forth, though you still need to take the break of the green into account

Is focus mode Hit Point Mode? It's not doing anything for me...I must be missing something really obvious.

And yes, I have them equipped.

duckroll

I think that's the intended Pumpkin reaction though?

Not a bug, just sharing hilarious bounce penalty stories!

Yeah those pumpkins are insane. I've hit a few of them that rocketed me out of bounds, and I get that they're meant to be bouncy, but it could probably be dialled *way* down. Especially when I've seen NPCs hit them and they just get gently bounced into a sand trap or something.

I think the player tends to hit shots way harder than NPCs do, due the to stat stuff, so that might be what's going on.

Is focus mode Hit Point Mode? It's not doing anything for me...I must be missing something really obvious.

And yes, I have them equipped.

Yeah. You should just move the stick left and right (or up and down i forget) and it will bend. I'm almost certain that's all there is to it

Okamid3n

I don't understand why it's not working, then.

It just moves the dot on the ball, which does nothing on the green.

This is frustrating.

Fliesen

Not a bug, just sharing hilarious bounce penalty stories!

my tee-off once hit a bystander, and the ball was so "entrenched" within that person, no amount of power at no direction was able to move it further than "0 yards". That sucked.

Btw, this is another game that makes me (personally!) really appreciate the lack of a trophy / achievement system on the Switch.
Had the game achievements / trophies - there'd be one like "collect all 3 secret items" (of which i finished with only 1) or "land a hole-in one at each of the golf courses" or some shit like that.

Right now, i was able to put the game down after thoroughly enjoying it - had there been a way to "100%" it on a system level, i'd have certainly hate-platinumed it.

I don't understand why it's not working, then.

It just moves the dot on the ball, which does nothing on the green.

"hit point mode" gives the ball a rotation - hitting the ball at the bottom will make it arc higher, which will make it more susceptible to wind. hitting it at the top will make the arc flatter, but the ball will roll further. hitting it on the side gives it a gentle curve.

"focus mode" is a special ability you can select (with the up-down arrow buttons on the left joycon) when you're playing an entire course (all 9 holes, either in a tournament, or battling a 'special golfer', or just playing a round from the pro-shop). Focus mode makes the swing gauge move slower, but also ignores wind. - which makes chipping in from afar a whole lot easier.

Maybe you just forgot equipping your new putter, btw? (Pause -> Gear)

Okamid3n

"hit point mode" gives the ball a rotation - hitting the ball at the bottom will make it arc higher, which will make it more susceptible to wind. hitting it at the top will make the arc flatter, but the ball will roll further. hitting it on the side gives it a gentle curve.

"focus mode" is a special ability you can select (with the up-down arrow buttons on the left joycon) when you're playing an entire course (all 9 holes, either in a tournament, or battling a 'special golfer', or just playing a round from the pro-shop). Focus mode makes the swing gauge move slower, but also ignores wind. - which makes chipping in from afar a whole lot easier.

Maybe you just forgot equipping your new putter, btw?

I know about hit point mode and focus mode, is either one of these needed for the whirly putter to curve?

Pressing x while using the putter just goes to hit point mode for me, which does nothing on a green. Focus mode doesn't work while using a putter (which makes sense).

And it is equipped. It even says Whirly Putter when I'm putting on the green.

EDIT: I noticed I can't move the red dot in hit point mode while using a putter unless I'm using the whirly putter. Using the Whirly Putter allows me to move the red dot on the ball in hit point mode while putting...but the putt doesn't curve at all, even if I move the dot far? I don't get it. I just did a full-power putt on a flat green where I moved the dot as far as I can, and the putt just went straight anyway.

I have no idea why I'm having such difficulty with Blue Moon Dune. I've beaten every other course comfortably my first time, but for whatever reason I just can't get my head around this. I've tried half a dozen times or so and keep losing by one or two strokes.

I just finished. It took me 20:38 and I did everything other than the putting course at Blue Moon and some architect courses.

This is probably my favourite game I’ve played this year. I couldn’t put it down in a way that I haven’t felt in a long time.

Also the reveal at the end is amazing. It filled me with PRIDE

So I think I have encountered a game-breaking bug in the snow area
2/3 secret holes found. All frozen npcs unfrozen. I can't get into the house in the bandit hideout, and the npc located at the snowmobile who supposedly has the password only states "it's too cold to move". I've tried everything I can think of outside of getting this password from the npc, am I missing something here?
You need to use your special balls to get the 3rd secret hole

dafortune

This sucks. I saw the Reddit thread with issues that the devs are apparently addressing in a patch but my tiny character bug is not in the op despite multiple people complaining about in the replies. Who knows when it will get fixed if ever.

Chopper

Picked this up this morning, and just played through the first part of the game, and reached Lurker Valley. I think I did everything except the pro tee green challenge. I am absolutely loving it so far. The dialogue is hilarious, and the golf mechanics are perfectly sound. I love that you can drop a ball anywhere and just hit stuff with it. Disc golf controls are gonna take some getting used to though.

Cerium

This sucks. I saw the Reddit thread with issues that the devs are apparently addressing in a patch but my tiny character bug is not in the op despite multiple people complaining about in the replies. Who knows when it will get fixed if ever.
Ask the devs on Twitter, they've been responsive to bug reports there.

wow I could have sworn I already did that. :lol

Thanks!
Please go back and edit your post to remove the reference to this being a bug ;)

About how long is This? I've finished Cheepybeak, does anyone know an estimate to completion after that?
20 hours, see OP

I don't have that putter, but are you trying on a random green or in a proper round of golf?

Okamid3n

I can't figure out if my whirly putter is glitched or not. What does it look like when you do a curved putt? Are you guys moving the red dot on the ball in Hit Point Mode? Can anyone be so kind as to take a screenshot of them about to do a curved putt/doing a curved putt?

I shouldn't be so annoyed, but it's really taking me out of the game, which I was enjoying a lot.

EDIT: Someone told me you control the putt after you hit it with the left stick, is this true? It's still not working. Is the effect, like, super tiny? Does it only work inside of an actual round or does it work in the overworld too?

I don't have that putter, but are you trying on a random green or in a proper round of golf?

I've tried both. Definitely isn't working for me on random greens. It's harder to tell in an actual round, though, because I haven't found perfectly flat greens to try it on yet. But if it's doing something, I'm not noticing at all.

LAST EDIT: I figured it out, it's because I put ALL my stats into power. One of the stats lets you change your curve, I don't know which. I took down my power to the minimum and maxed all my other stats and now the curve is huge.

Good info for everyone else too, I imagine.

Annnd it saved my stat changes, now I'm stuck with minimum power. Hah! Well now, this is a whole new game. Not even mad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
on blue moon dunes, there is a goal to get
8 matchplay wins
Is that including all the ones you've done so far, or are you starting from scratch (which could be annoying and take a while)?

on blue moon dunes, there is a goal to get
8 matchplay wins
Is that including all the ones you've done so far, or are you starting from scratch (which could be annoying and take a while)?

Including the ones you've done. If you press + then go to Story you can see which ones you have left.

HoJu

I beat it. It was fine. The golfing and writing was charming, but the rest of the game never lived up to the potential from the first course, which seemed much more interactive and alirve than the rest of them. Wayyy too many missions of trying to hit the ball inside a bunch of circles, which were all extremely easy until the last course.

The game just doesn't seem polished, both in terms of the amount of bugs and glitches, and with the gameplay, as some of the missions just seem like filler time wasters which aren't fun.

I'd still be in for Tennis Story though.

itxaka

Defeatist
Doing the molerats for the first course and I can only find 5 of those, on the driving range but it says that I can find the rest on "the hole on the left of town"

Where the hell is that??

I can’t do the Cheeky Beak putting challenge with the red birds stealing approach shots.
My putt on full power doesn’t make it close to the hole.
I hate asking for help but any vague hint as to what I’m doing wrong???
I though maybe you had to buy a special club but wherever I go, no clubs are available to purchase.

Cerium

Doing the molerats for the first course and I can only find 5 of those, on the driving range but it says that I can find the rest on "the hole on the left of town"

Where the hell is that??
It's on the left of the main area. There's a path. Opposite of the driving range basically.

I can’t do the Cheeky Beak putting challenge with the red birds stealing approach shots.
I though maybe you had to buy a special club but wherever I go, no clubs are available to purchase.
I don't remember that challenge exactly but have you tried using the R button to extend your shot?

I don't remember that challenge exactly but have you tried using the R button to extend your shot?

That, and I think you may need
the whirley putter
though I'm not sure. If you can't find it then there's still something you need to unlock at Wellworn Grove.

What stats should I be going for? I do mostly power. But I have no idea of that's what I should do. But I feel it is since there are a lot of those challenges that need you to he able to hit 260 or more...

Also. It sucks you can't
replay the miniature golf course after you've beaten the record. I really want to do it again.

enoki

Use ZR.

Kaban

Any vague hints on where I can get a
caddy
for Tidy Park? I’ve done everything else that is required
(full set of vintage clubs, etiquette lessons)

Any vague hints on where I can get a
caddy
for Tidy Park? I’ve done everything else that is required
(full set of vintage clubs, etiquette lessons)
Talk to other students who have your Coach.

It's possible, without any special putter. Try varying power with the same aim. Or varying aim with the same power (more difficult).

I bought that just for that challenge, haha.
Maybe I don’t know how to use it.

You press X to enter hit point mode and move the cursor left or right. If you're in the shot aiming mode (before you hit A to confirm your aim) you'll see the path of the shot curve.

But like others have said it may not be necessary. I feel like I remember it helping though.

Peléo

Unsure whether I buy Stardew Valley or Golf Story. I am fan of both Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis, never played Harvest Moon or Mario Golf though. Will mainly play it on my train to work in sessions of 40min.

Please advise me Gaf.

Pastry

Banned
So I think a bug just killed my save file. I got to part where
they throw you a party at the fancy golf club after doing all the stuff required to join
and I couldn't figure out what to do at all. Thinking that I was stuck in a bug I quit the game and when I reloaded the save my character was tiny. I can walk around a little bit but I cant talk to anyone. It sucks cause I was really into the game but Im not gonna replay all that. Hopefully a patch can fix the save. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah I saw someone else talk about that, I think that one is a killer. Maybe tweet at the devs?

mcfly1955

Neo Member
Peléo;251030378 said:
Unsure whether I buy Stardew Valley or Golf Story. I am fan of both Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis, never played Harvest Moon or Mario Golf though. Will mainly play it on my train to work in sessions of 40min.

Please advise me Gaf.

I'm only a few hours into Golf Story, and I'm enjoying it.

Stardew had me hooked from the beginning and I played that game nightly for awhile and put about 50 hours into it...It surprised me and ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

Both are great, but I give the nod to Stardew.

Top Bottom