• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

vazel said:
I used that one before I moved on to Priceblink. Priceblink lists more stores and PriceBlink does not treat eBay as another store in case you don't want results from an auction site(although it does give you the option of searching eBay if you want). Priceblink also lists the shipping costs.

Great, thanks for the heads up!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Threi said:
aww chrome 7 broke the inline youtube extension :(
You can try my UserScript, it works on GAF, but I think you can edit the include line.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/60843

vazel said:
Adblock guy finally caved in and is removing the icon in a couple days.
h7Reh.jpg
Chrome 9. :lol I swear we'll be seeing Chrome 20 by the end of next year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm thinking the next thread will be Chrome 7 + 8, then 9 + 10, etc. For or against?

I just found an amazing use of instant search with Chrome, it pratically makes instant search work on any site's built in search, god I love it.

For those who don't know, when you add search engines (settings, basic, default search engine, manage.) when you're at the omni bar and use the keyword/letter for that search bar, Chrome will begin instant searching through the website's search.

God damn I love google, it makes searching on Wikipedia, youtube, and countless other sites sooooo awesome. :D

S. L.

is there a plugin that mimics the Opera mouse gestures and also works on the new tab page? (which i also want to mimic the Opera speed dial)

this really bugs me

Jasoco

Banned
I'm on Chrome 7 right now. Should I be in another thread? Personally I think we only need one Chrome topic. Unless you want one for stable releases and one for all the devs and betas.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
S. L. said:
is there a plugin that mimics the Opera mouse gestures and also works on the new tab page? (which i also want to mimic the Opera speed dial)

this really bugs me
For the Speed Dial thing this seems to be what you're looking for:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/dgpdioedihjhncjafcpgbbjdpbbkikmi?hl=en (it still doesn't work with gestures though)

Edit:
Oh wait, this one says it works with Smooth Gestures:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/djnmanljkopakfofdpmelbccmbpbocaa?hl=en

S. L.

sykoex said:
For the Speed Dial thing this seems to be what you're looking for:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/dgpdioedihjhncjafcpgbbjdpbbkikmi?hl=en (it still doesn't work with gestures though)

Edit:
Oh wait, this one says it works with Smooth Gestures:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/djnmanljkopakfofdpmelbccmbpbocaa?hl=en
thanks that works pretty good.

next question, how can i enable search shortcuts?
like when i enter "w term" in the search bar it will automatically open the term wikipedia page
or "e item" and it will search for item on ebay...
like that. couldn't find an extension for that, maybe it's already integrated?

Threi

notag
it's there, just a little bit tricky to set up.

Chrome usually picks up areas you can search for on it's own, but if you want to do it yourself you go to wrench > options > basics

then press the manage button under default search.

under "other search engines" it may or may not be there, but if it is you can edit the keyword to be one letter like you want.

for example (since i have this) for ebay canada:

Name: ebay.ca
Keyword: e
URL: http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=_from&_trksid=_trksid&_nkw=%s&_sacat=_sacat

if not you can use google's internal search filters as well, which is just "site:<sitehere.com> <search terms>"

*edit*

here is the URL for wikipedia search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%s

S. L.

Threi said:
it's there, just a little bit tricky to set up.

Chrome usually picks up areas you can search for on it's own, but if you want to do it yourself you go to wrench > options > basics

then press the manage button under default search.

under "other search engines" it may or may not be there, but if it is you can edit the keyword to be one letter like you want.

for example (since i have this) for ebay canada:

Name: ebay.ca
Keyword: e
URL: http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=_from&_trksid=_trksid&_nkw=%s&_sacat=_sacat

if not you can use google's internal search filters as well, which is just "site:<sitehere.com> <search terms>"

*edit*

here is the URL for wikipedia search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%s
ah thanks
i already was in that menu, but the default keywords were the full URLs so i was a bit confused

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/10/instant-search-optional-feature-in.html

Google Operating System said:
Last month, I mentioned that Google Chrome tested a feature that automatically loads web pages when you type in the address bar. Since then, the feature has been added to Chrome Labs in the Dev Channel and has already graduated from Chrome Labs.

A recent Chromium build added instant search to the Options dialog, but the feature is disabled by default. Here's the official description:

"Instant lets you view web pages and search results faster than ever. With Instant enabled, most web pages begin loading as soon as you type a URL in the Omnibox, before you hit Enter. In addition, if supported by your default search engine, search results appear instanly as you type queries in the Omnibox, and in-line predictions help guide your search. Becasuse new search results are requested each time you press a key, anything you type into the Omnibox may be logged as a search query by your default search engine."

google-chromium-instant-search.png

google-chromium-instant-search-2.png

google-chromium-instant-search-3.png

While instant search is useful for frequently visited pages (for example, you only need to type "m" to load Gmail), the feature doesn't work well if you want to type a new web address or a query. If you frequently type Gmail's address, but now you want to go to http://mail.yahoo.com, Chrome will first load Gmail and then Yahoo Mail.

Chrome Labs includes many other experimental features that will be officially released in the coming months: side tabs, tabbed options, remoting support, disabling outdated plug-ins, XSS auditor, background web apps, proxy for Cloud Print and GPU accelerated Canvas 2D. Most of the features can be enabled in Chrome Dev Channel if you type about:labs in the address bar.

Testing it out now in Chrome Canary, it's pretty slick. If it were my main browser it'd be more useful as right now there's no autocomplete for my most visited sites in Canary as I don't use it often, but even still there is tons of potential here. Loading websites is pretty slow but Google's Instant results are just that, instant. Searching is blazing fast. This is potentially a killer feature in Chrome's favor. IE, Safari, and Firefox teams are hopefully scrambling to build this into those browsers too - it's that good.

Also my Chrome Canary build is 8.0.552.0. :lol This browser is evolving insanely fast.

So yeah, the next thread will cover both 7 + 8.

Pctx

Banned
You know what I love doing? Typing in a website, hitting tab and then searching. All browsers should have that ability. So nice. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pctx said:
You know what I love doing? Typing in a website, hitting tab and then searching. All browsers should have that ability. So nice. :)

So you're like the third person to post this... No offense but have you people really not noticed that until now? o_0 Without it I probably wouldn't have switched from Opera last year (their search options are still more advanced than Chrome's, but I like Chrome's as much too.) It just seems strange to me people wouldn't know about this fundamental feature...

vazel

Banned
Adblock lets you block specific images. If you don't want to block ads you can unsubscribe from the filter lists.

Jasoco

Banned
Looks like Chrome 7 has a feature where if an update has been downloaded and is ready to install it puts a little marker on the Tools menu button.

I am now on Chrome 8. Heh. At this rate I'll be on 9 by November. :lol (My about:labs doesn't have all the cool stuff the Windows version does. Come on, guys! What's taking so long? Also the gesture for "Tab Overview" doesn't work on my system because it conflicts with a gesture I already have set up. Thankfully there's also a key command so I can set up another gesture in Better Touch Tool. Whoo! Still, what does 8 and 7 have on
Windows that it doesn't have on OS X yet?

BTW, Tab Overview is awesome. I can't wait for HyperDock to get support for showing all tabs as well. No more losing my tabs. Whoo!

Also, I think this should just be a general Chrome thread now since no one created a 7 or even 8 thread but people still want to talk about them. (Or at least just me.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
Looks like Chrome 7 has a feature where if an update has been downloaded and is ready to install it puts a little marker on the Tools menu button.

I am now on Chrome 8. Heh. At this rate I'll be on 9 by November. :lol (My about:labs doesn't have all the cool stuff the Windows version does. Come on, guys! What's taking so long? Also the gesture for "Tab Overview" doesn't work on my system because it conflicts with a gesture I already have set up. Thankfully there's also a key command so I can set up another gesture in Better Touch Tool. Whoo! Still, what does 8 and 7 have on
Windows that it doesn't have on OS X yet?

BTW, Tab Overview is awesome. I can't wait for HyperDock to get support for showing all tabs as well. No more losing my tabs. Whoo!

Also, I think this should just be a general Chrome thread now since no one created a 7 or even 8 thread but people still want to talk about them. (Or at least just me.)

Each Chrome OT will house all Chrome talk for the duration it is active regardless of the number in the title. The version numbers are to signify when a new final release has happened and the OP will detail the changes it brings, but think of each thread as a general Chrome OT.

Jasoco

Banned
Andrex said:
Each Chrome OT will house all Chrome talk for the duration it is active regardless of the number in the title. The version numbers are to signify when a new final release has happened and the OP will detail the changes it brings, but think of each thread as a general Chrome OT.
Then I don't feel bad talking about 7 and 8 in here. Thanks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hateradio said:
Why not just a "Year In Chrome: 2011" (or 2010) thread? OT's seem to be in terms of years now anyways.

I think it's important that the new threads tell people a new version is out (see the first two pages, it was helpful this time) and to detail the new features. Plus Chrome 6 |OT| sounds better than Year in Chrome 2011. Imo. :p

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
"Google Chrome 6 (Stable) (7 & 8 [Beta] 9 & 10 [In The Cloud!?]) OT"

Chrome 2011 OT - Version # Currently Stable

Though I wonder if they will change the name after a while, I can't imagine keeping something like "Chrome 16" at all.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
OchreHand said:
Thank gawd!!

Now all I need is a proper NoScript extension and I can kiss FF g'bye.

can't you use the built in tools instead of noscript?

go to Options > Under the hood > Content Settings > Javascript

press "do not allow any site to run javascript" and then add some exceptions for sites you trust.

Loving Google Instant in the Crome bar!

This is more a Google thing, but has anyone noticed that if you start typing a line of a song's lyrics, instant search brings up the name of the song and the streaming links right at the top?

Edit: Should the threat title now read Google Chrome 8 ? :D

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Andrex said:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/10/instant-search-optional-feature-in.html

Testing it out now in Chrome Canary, it's pretty slick. If it were my main browser it'd be more useful as right now there's no autocomplete for my most visited sites in Canary as I don't use it often, but even still there is tons of potential here. Loading websites is pretty slow but Google's Instant results are just that, instant. Searching is blazing fast. This is potentially a killer feature in Chrome's favor. IE, Safari, and Firefox teams are hopefully scrambling to build this into those browsers too - it's that good.

Also my Chrome Canary build is 8.0.552.0. :lol This browser is evolving insanely fast.

So yeah, the next thread will cover both 7 + 8.
absolutely loathe this feature. it's buggy as hell on my PC and at work frequently makes Google.com think that my searches are the result of some bot/worm.

Andrex said:
So you're like the third person to post this... No offense but have you people really not noticed that until now? o_0 Without it I probably wouldn't have switched from Opera last year (their search options are still more advanced than Chrome's, but I like Chrome's as much too.) It just seems strange to me people wouldn't know about this fundamental feature...

The search with Tab still sucks balls though. I don't know why but if I search like any video game or book by doing that with Amazon it says no results and shows me related things with music. It's only when I hit "GO" on the amazon search bar that it comes back with actual results. Makes it useless for me.

Anyone get the issue with Chrome where coming back to the browser after a little while renders the whole window and all tabs frozen and blank. Then after about 20 secs it comes back?

I only use it at work on Win7 and I leave my machine on over night and when I come back the thing acts like a petulant little child

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
whatsinaname said:

This is more a Google thing, but has anyone noticed that if you start typing a line of a song's lyrics, instant search brings up the name of the song and the streaming links right at the top?

This feature needs to get to the beta channel like, now.

Jasoco

Banned
Mine updated from 7 to 8 by itself. I think I turned that on somewhere, but it doesn't seem to have a UI to ask. It asked me once and I said yes. But now I can't enable it on my other computer.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So why does chrome have issues with downloading large files? I grabbed a 4.7GB file last night and it ended up being corrupt. The site warned me that chrome is a bad choice to download with but i ignored it since it was 1am and i was half asleep.

Is this fixed in later beta versions? I'm surprised that a browser has issues downloading files.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
whatsinaname said:

its not working for me =(

ive tried googling it, but i cant see to enable instant search bar please help =(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is it that makes Google change the version numbers? Is 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 a huge leap forward? From a user standpoint, I can't really tell.

Jasoco

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
What is it that makes Google change the version numbers? Is 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 a huge leap forward? From a user standpoint, I can't really tell.
I don't know. Personally I think they're just trying to catch up with IE in terms of version numbers. I think their numbers are better suited to point versions. Like 8.0 should be 1.8.

shadowcomplex said:
its not working for me =(

ive tried googling it, but i cant see to enable instant search bar please help =(

Are you on Chrome 7 or 8?

If on Chrome 8, type 'about:labs' into the bar.
One of the options you see is to enable instant search.

Sean

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

Probably just trying to catch up to IE (v9) and Opera (v10?) etc so they seem more competitive. Just like how Microsoft named their console the Xbox 360 instead of "Xbox 2" because they didn't want it to look inferior to the PS3.

Kinda silly, but whatever.

quadriplegicjon said:
So before 7 is done, they are already working on 8? Sounds so strange to me.

It's google, they don't rest. Things that they don't put in 7, they start adding into the next revision. This way 7 isn't delayed.

Top Bottom