• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
shadowcomplex said:
8wUJR.jpg

i think so?
Click Wrench>options>basics tab>in the search section use google and tick the Enable Instant Search box below.

YYZ

How do I set Chrome to automatically find stuff on the page when I start typing instead of hitting ctrl+F first?

Jasoco

Banned
YYZ said:
How do I set Chrome to automatically find stuff on the page when I start typing instead of hitting ctrl+F first?
There's an extension, but it simply creates a new Find feature. But it's not compatible with the built-in so Ctrl+G won't work with it.

is there a Youtube fix for Chrome? I can't seem to get videos to play normally but on other browsers the same ones work just fine. sorry if this is old hat stuff, but I don't want this to be the only real issue holding me back from using it because otherwise I prefer it to other browsers.

edit: nevermind, it works fine in Chromium :lol

Hela

They really need to add an option for the download bar to disappear automatically after few seconds and to open a page in a new tab when you type in the address and chrome will be perfect for me.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Hela said:
They really need to add an option for the download bar to disappear automatically after few seconds and to open a page in a new tab when you type in the address and chrome will be perfect for me.

This times infinity. Drives me bonkers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seriously. It is very obnoxious.

Tab expose is fantastic!

Jasoco

Banned
Ugh, I agree. When the last file finishes it needs to go away. And it needs to play a sound like Firefox does with DownloadBar, which also doesn't disappear when it finishes.

Lorr

Looks like stable just hit 7, but I don't see any obvious changes. Looks like it was mostly bug fixes and minor improvements.

Epix

Hela said:

This + another feature. I'd love to be use to use Ctrl+F to both open the find bar and close the find bar.

Pctx

Banned
Lorr said:
Looks like stable just hit 7, but I don't see any obvious changes. Looks like it was mostly bug fixes and minor improvements.
Yup, came in here to post this.
Epix said:
This + another feature. I'd love to be use to use Ctrl+F to both open the find bar and close the find bar.
I heard a couple of birds are working on those requests... might have more info on that later.

tabsina

Jasoco said:
Ugh, I agree. When the last file finishes it needs to go away. And it needs to play a sound like Firefox does with DownloadBar, which also doesn't disappear when it finishes.

It bothered me more when the bar used to stay even after i opened the file by clicking it.. at least it goes away when i do that now

EDIT: also noone else seems to have mentioned this, but apparently the extension website was accidentally updated earlier with prices for the extensions (all saying "free"), but it has since been retracted

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/19/chrome-web-store-launch-2/

tabsina

Jasoco said:
Fuck that. I ain't paying for browser extensions.

I think it is more for buying something like plants vs zombies when the webstore releases, but yeh, extensions are probably going to have the option to have a price too

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
They changed it to about:flags.

Like literally yesterday.

Oh :lol thanks. They also added an "Instant" option in that page so you dont have to edit that text document like in the link you posted.

Tab overview is awesome! It needs an option to close the tab though, like a little X that pops up in the corner of each picture

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Oh :lol thanks. They also added an "Instant" option in that page so you dont have to edit that text document like in the link you posted.

Tab overview is awesome! It needs an option to close the tab though, like a little X that pops up in the corner of each picture
Both Instant and Overview are awesome and have changed how I use Chrome. I have Overview attached to a trackpad gesture. I keep forgetting I have Instant and will sit waiting for a few seconds after searching waiting for a page to show up before realizing it's already there. :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
My new favourite extension: Facebook Disconnect

Facebook is notified whenever you visit one of the more than one million sites on the web that use Facebook Connect and has a history of leaking personally identifiable information to third parties.

Turn off the flow of your data to them!

Facebook Disconnect blocks all traffic from third-party sites to Facebook servers, but still lets you access Facebook itself.

Update to Chrom 8 on the dev channel, you can now activate GPU Accelerated Compositing ontop of Accelerated 2D, and WebGL can also be activated.

tmdorsey

Drewsky said:
Just got a Mac and dled Chrome. God, the scrolling is sooo terrible on threads with a lot of GIFs.

Yeah, this was too annoying and made Chrome seems slower than Firefox, so I'm back to Firefox on Mac.

Jasoco

Banned
I can't believe that with all the people working on the Webkit project not one of them has been able to or has been assigned to fix GIF animation. It's been horrible for years. It should have been fixed by now! Steal the code from Mozilla if you have to! There's no reason it should suck so bad for so long.

quaere

Maybe WebKit is planning to hardware accelerate themselves out of the problem. Is there a dev version of Chrome with it yet? If so, anyone tried some GIFs?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Angelus Errare said:
Update to Chrom 8 on the dev channel, you can now activate GPU Accelerated Compositing ontop of Accelerated 2D, and WebGL can also be activated.

Where do you find this? In about:flags?

Also in general what's good webpage that has up to date info on the commands for chrome like the about: stuff?

f0rk

I did a quick google search, is there a highlight -> right click -> search youtube extension for chrome?

Gui_PT

Sorry guys, but I don't know where else to ask this. I've searched on the interwebs but nothing helped.

I can't log in to my hotmail account. After I click the "Log In" button, I just get a blank page.

It worked twice in like... 30 or so attempts. I've cleared all my browsing data, cache and cookies but nothing works.

Any help? =\

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Gui_PT said:
Sorry guys, but I don't know where else to ask this. I've searched on the interwebs but nothing helped.

I can't log in to my hotmail account. After I click the "Log In" button, I just get a blank page.

It worked twice in like... 30 or so attempts. I've cleared all my browsing data, cache and cookies but nothing works.

Any help? =\

Have you tried other Microsoft Live service sites? Like Bnet?

Gui_PT

Dani said:
Have you tried other Microsoft Live service sites? Like Bnet?

b.net, xbox.com . Anything that requires hotmail won't log in.

Edit: Just randomly started working. Guess it wasn't on my side.

Jasoco

Banned
My Chrome just upgraded itself again from 8 to 9. So I'm now like 3 ahead of the current stable version. :lol

Though my WebGL and hardware acceleration options have disappeared from my about:flags page. Are they still enabled? Is there a way to test them and see if they work? WebGL seems to work, though weirdly, on a page I found on Google with some demos. But I don't know if hardware accelleration is still on. I guess they're both on by default in 9.0?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Jasoco said:
My Chrome just upgraded itself again from 8 to 9. So I'm now like 3 ahead of the current stable version. :lol
I noticed a curve on the ratchet when it's hovered, but I didn't think it was 9. They really need to keep these numbers down. What's the rush? (Hypothetical question that needs no answer.)

Jasoco

Banned
Chrome doesn't work the same way as Opera. My user agent for Chrome 9 is as follows:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.570.0 Safari/534.11

It passes itself off as Mozilla first then name drops Chrome and Safari to cover all its bases. I don't think it'll have the same problem.

Top Bottom