• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Jasoco said:
Chrome doesn't work the same way as Opera. My user agent for Chrome 9 is as follows:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.570.0 Safari/534.11

It passes itself off as Mozilla first then name drops Chrome and Safari to cover all its bases. I don't think it'll have the same problem.
Opera's problem is certainly unique because they identified the browser's actual version instead of any compatibility. However, I can't believe someone thought serving pages from this identification would be a good idea. It clearly doesn't work, otherwise Safari would be in trouble: What is version 534? :lol

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101103 Firefox/4.0b8pre, is Minefield's current user agent identification. No Franken-header found here.

Jasoco

Banned
I dunno. WebKit gets updated internally a lot. Not sure how they're up to 534... let's check the latest Nightly...

Webkit Nightly:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.12+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Safari/533.18.5

Safari 5.0.2:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Safari/533.18.5

Chrome 9 dev:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/9.0.570.0 Safari/534.11

WebKit just uses higher version numbers. Not sure why. Whatever.

Ferny

Never knew how much I loved Chrome until I had to use IE on a family members computer. Chrome is just the perfect blend of design and the way it functions. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Jasoco

Banned
I've found the Chrome 9 beta is very tab-crashy on pages with large animated GIF's. Actual crashes now. Only the tab though thankfully, but it happens a lot. If 8.0 is now Beta, maybe I'll try to downgrade from Dev to Beta until they fix 9.

kaskade

I'm downloading the 8 beta. Not really sure about the differences though. Built in pdf or something? When is chrome instant suppose to come about?

Jasoco

Banned
I don't mind how it handles them anymore. I rarely enter the manager and just depend on the star in the address bar for adding, moving or removing my bookmarks.

Also, I went back to 8.0 now that it's Beta. Will wait for 9.0 to become Beta.

It's interesting. When I was a Firefox user, upgrading was dreaded because I had so many extensions and they always had problems when new versions came along. Since I switched to Chrome, I don't even have to care because never have I had an extension conflict. I've even made a half dozen of my own extensions. I love Chrome.

Jasoco

Banned
kaskade said:
I'm downloading the 8 beta. Not really sure about the differences though. Built in pdf or something? When is chrome instant suppose to come about?
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I'm in beta as well, but it's so tempting, I want that address bar instant search!
You can enable it right now in 8.

about:flags

It's there along with hardware acceleration and WebGL.

mollipen

Blackface said:
I wish Chrome handled bookmarks better. It's the only reason I have not switched.

What kind of stuff do you wish it did? I don't even know what Chrome's bookmarking abilities are, because I can't remember the last time I've used anything but Delicious plug-ins (of which I quite like the Chrome one).

Jasoco

Banned
When 8 Dev came out.

Well damn. I forgot why I was loving 9 dev in the first place. It fixes the stupid scrolling bug where if your mouse pointer hits a Flash video while scrolling with the wheel it would stop abruptly. Fuck. I guess I'll have to wait for the 9 Beta to be happy again. At least Hardware Acceleration makes GIF threads tolerable again.

kaskade

Jasoco said:
You can enable it right now in 8.

about:flags

It's there along with hardware acceleration and WebGL.
Very cool. The connection I'm on right now isn't the fastest but it's working pretty well. The three finger swipe tab thing is pretty cool as well. Not sure how much more efficient it is than clicking tabs yet.

I can see it being nice not having to bring my eyes up to the top of the screen.

Jasoco

Banned
kaskade said:
Very cool. The connection I'm on right now isn't the fastest but it's working pretty well. The three finger swipe tab thing is pretty cool as well. Not sure how much more efficient it is than clicking tabs yet.

I can see it being nice not having to bring my eyes up to the top of the screen.
It's nice because it shows you what your tabs look like instead of having to try and remember based on the icon and part of the title. I just have to remember to use it more. I attached it to three-finger swipe left.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
I've found the Chrome 9 beta is very tab-crashy on pages with large animated GIF's. Actual crashes now. Only the tab though thankfully, but it happens a lot. If 8.0 is now Beta, maybe I'll try to downgrade from Dev to Beta until they fix 9.

Same here. GAF is crashing all the time now in the midst of loading a page. If you downgrade to 8, wont it just update you back to 9?

survivor

Banned
So I just upgraded to the beta channel to try out some of the new stuff. I enabled the hardware acceleration for now, but is there some way to see the difference it makes? Like a website I can visit and see how much of a difference it makes.

syllogism

Any way to reduce chrome memory usage yet? With tons of tabs/windows open my memory usage is routinely 1.5gb+, which is over three times my firefox ram usage with the same tabs open. It's a bit too even with 6gb overall, especially since the cpu usage appears higher too.

syllogism said:
Any way to reduce chrome memory usage yet? With tons of tabs/windows open my memory usage is routinely 1.5gb+, which is over three times my firefox ram usage with the same tabs open. It's a bit too even with 6gb overall, especially since the cpu usage appears higher too.

Extensions are probably the culprit. Whats your Chrome Task Manager look like?

syllogism

Mr. Snrub said:
Extensions are probably the culprit. Whats your Chrome Task Manager look like?
No, the memory usage was pretty much the same without any extensions and I did look at the task manager. From what I could tell from googling, it seems to be the norm. It's obviously not an issue for normal use but with 40+ windows/tabs it gets pretty bad and you are going to need those flash/ad blockers for such usage anyway.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
best new thing I've found in the dev channel

DNyQE.png

I must be the only person who wants this but it's great. No more tab hunting to stop some video that's auto-started

I've also noticed a few sites trying to load hidden flash apps for whatever reason.

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Same here. GAF is crashing all the time now in the midst of loading a page. If you downgrade to 8, wont it just update you back to 9?
No. 9 is on the Dev channel. 8 is on the Beta. By switching to 8, it will only move me to 9 when 9 becomes Beta. I was originally on 8.0 Dev.

Weird since I updated to 9.0 google instant seems to have turned off....I'm having withdrawls, I pretty much NEED my google instant.

Anyone else having problems with it not working?

edit: Crisis adverted, I got it working again. Apparently they turned it off in Chrome 9 by default, to turn it back on, make sure you're not using tabbed options, then go to basic and click enable instant (you can then go back to tabbed options.)

vazel

Banned
D4Danger said:
best new thing I've found in the dev channel

DNyQE.png

I must be the only person who wants this but it's great. No more tab hunting to stop some video that's auto-started

I've also noticed a few sites trying to load hidden flash apps for whatever reason.
I was just thinking this morning how I'd love an extension that did that but didn't get around to searching for one. Awesome that it's going to be built into the browser.

Angelus Errare said:
Weird since I updated to 9.0 google instant seems to have turned off....I'm having withdrawls, I pretty much NEED my google instant.

Anyone else having problems with it not working?

edit: Crisis adverted, I got it working again. Apparently they turned it off in Chrome 9 by default, to turn it back on, make sure you're not using tabbed options, then go to basic and click enable instant (you can then go back to tabbed options.)

Isn't working for me either. :(

Saw your edit. Tried that. Worked!

Thanks. :D

vazel said:
I was just thinking this morning how I'd love an extension that did that but didn't get around to searching for one. Awesome that it's going to be built into the browser.
Opera also does this for flash, it is so awesome.

i think im making the switch

im so used to FF but chrome just feels so much faster and lighter, not to mention much more screen real estate. firefox just hasnt been performing well lately for me with frequent crashes and stuff..

damn :U this is nice

Dragon

Banned
effingvic said:
i think im making the switch

im so used to FF but chrome just feels so much faster and lighter, not to mention much more screen real estate. firefox just hasnt been performing well lately for me with frequent crashes and stuff..

damn :U this is nice

Firefox gets REALLY slow with lots of history. I had two years of history and searching from the address bar gave the apple color wheel consistently.

TheBranca18 said:
Firefox gets REALLY slow with lots of history. I had two years of history and searching from the address bar gave the apple color wheel consistently.

i actually clean out my history often since my important links are bookmarked anyways. do you think that might have something to do with my performance? i have about 30-40 bookmarks and 12 on the toolbar :O

Jasoco

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Me too. I keep all my history because it's so convenient. But Firefox was such a dog. The major thing I don't miss from Firefox and almost forgot about was the constant 5 second freezes every time I tried to type something in the address bar. Don't miss Firefox at all.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
survivor said:
So I just upgraded to the beta channel to try out some of the new stuff. I enabled the hardware acceleration for now, but is there some way to see the difference it makes? Like a website I can visit and see how much of a difference it makes.
You can try this IE9 test drive site.

TheBranca18 said:
I've never noticed this before, is it a Mac issue?

Jayayess1190 said:
Opera also does this for flash, it is so awesome.
It always seemed like one extra click that I wasn't willing to do. :lol

Jasoco said:
Me too. I keep all my history because it's so convenient. But Firefox was such a dog. The major thing I don't miss from Firefox and almost forgot about was the constant 5 second freezes every time I tried to type something in the address bar. Don't miss Firefox at all.
Yeah, the stalling issue is annoying, but the only time I've seen it do this is when it starts up. Even the nightly version still suffer from this, though not as terribly. -_-

Ashhong

Alrighty, so I finally made the jump to Chrome on my PC after using it on OSX for a while now. Just a couple questions...

1. Anybody know an extension that allows me to control winamp? Firefox had FoxyTunes and it added a little bar on the bottom of the window.

2. Can I customize the menubar at all? I kind of dont like how the tabs sit at the VERY top of the page. OSX has a small gap between tabs and t he menubar. I also miss custom navigation buttons, and wish that there was a Chrome logo on the top left

gratzi

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Alrighty, so I finally made the jump to Chrome on my PC after using it on OSX for a while now. Just a couple questions...

1. Anybody know an extension that allows me to control winamp? Firefox had FoxyTunes and it added a little bar on the bottom of the window.
I don't know if it could. Firefox has extensions that can access system functions, but Chrome's are safer in that they can only access certain things in the browser and are all built with HTML and JavaScript. I just use BowTie. It's superior to everything.

2. Can I customize the menubar at all? I kind of dont like how the tabs sit at the VERY top of the page. OSX has a small gap between tabs and t he menubar. I also miss custom navigation buttons, and wish that there was a Chrome logo on the top left

gratzi
Logo's take up too much space. And I thought the tabs only hit the top when the browser was maximized.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
I don't know if it could. Firefox has extensions that can access system functions, but Chrome's are safer in that they can only access certain things in the browser and are all built with HTML and JavaScript. I just use BowTie. It's superior to everything.

Logo's take up too much space. And I thought the tabs only hit the top when the browser was maximized.

Bowtie for Windows doesnt sound like it will do what I want..but i'll check it out.

I maximize everything, so yea it hits the top for me. Oh well, I'll get used to it. It's weird coming from Firefox and seeing such a smaller menubar

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Bowtie for Windows doesnt sound like it will do what I want..but i'll check it out.

I maximize everything, so yea it hits the top for me. Oh well, I'll get used to it. It's weird coming from Firefox and seeing such a smaller menubar
Oh duh. You're on windows. Well doesn't windows have a million apps for controlling iTunes?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Enabled Google Cloud Print. Clicked Manage. Nothing but a browser popup with coming soon.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
Oh duh. You're on windows. Well doesn't windows have a million apps for controlling iTunes?

I'm looking for something that is directly on my browser. Chrome is my main window 90% of the time, and a little remote control/now playing bar would be convenient. quick google search didnt show anything either

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
I'm looking for something that is directly on my browser. Chrome is my main window 90% of the time, and a little remote control/now playing bar would be convenient. quick google search didnt show anything either
Isn't your taskbar visible all the time?

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
Isn't your taskbar visible all the time?

Yea, but I don't see winamp controls on it. It was just convenient in Firefox. I could move the progress bar, see the title, pause, etc. No worries, I'll get used to it.

Heres a big one though. Is there an extension that lets me download youtube vids or any kind of flash file like "Downloadhelper"? I need this..

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Yea, but I don't see winamp controls on it. It was just convenient in Firefox. I could move the progress bar, see the title, pause, etc. No worries, I'll get used to it.
Someone must have made something for WinAmp.

Heres a big one though. Is there an extension that lets me download youtube vids or any kind of flash file like "Downloadhelper"? I need this..
No! And it's the only reason I need to keep Firefox around. I tried looking at the code to see if I could port it and there's like three dozen JS files in there. Fuck that!

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
Someone must have made something for WinAmp.

No! And it's the only reason I need to keep Firefox around. I tried looking at the code to see if I could port it and there's like three dozen JS files in there. Fuck that!

Iduno, looked around everywhere and couldn't find anything.

Well that sucks. People on Chrome forums said that Google just isnt allowing it. Someone made one but it was taken down from the official extensions list or whatever.

KillerAJD

I've been using Chrome for maybe the past...~5 months? I had used it a bit before that, but promptly switched back to Firefox. Now that Chrome is my main browser, I've got a couple issues that really bug me. My biggest problem is after awhile (and the time can range from 5 minutes after opening the browser, or three hours later), if I open a tab in the background (with a middle click), it locks up the rest of the browser while it loads that page. It can get extremely annoying if I'm doing some research or get bored and start browsing something like Wikipedia or TVtropes. I like sending a lot of links to the background to catch up on once I'm done with the current tab, but doing so causes me to have to wait a good 5-15 seconds before the tabs finish loading. The entire browser has crashed on me when doing this as well. Any fix to this?

Also, having no dedicated bookmark button is annoying as all hell. I absolutely hate the bookmark bar, and I'd rather have a button on either side of the address bar. In Chrome 6 (I think) there was a quick line change you could do to the shortcut target, but that doesn't work anymore. I ended up having to use an extension to get the same capability, but the less extensions I'm using, the better the browser seems to cope with the tab problem :/ I'm thinking of trying the beta or dev versions, but I usually end up having more problems when I do that, lol.

Ashhong

Regarding the bookmark button, cant you just press the star button on the right side of the address bar? I press that and it adds it to the bookmark bar..

Jzero

Ashhong said:
Regarding the bookmark button, cant you just press the star button on the right side of the address bar? I press that and it adds it to the bookmark bar..

Yup i dont know how he missed that.

Star=Bookmark

Top Bottom