• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think we're using different definitions of page load. In any case, a priority won't work either becuase all plugins would just say they're high priority. Chrome can't (and shouldn't) do anything that would make it even *possible* for a plugin to bring the browser down. That doesn't mean there's no solution, it just means that when the internet screams "omg the solution is so obvious, why aren't they doing anything?!" it's usually because the solution is not actually as obvious as you think it is.

In any case, their bug tracker is public, so why not just file a bug? It doesn't make much sense to complain about it to other people who have no power to affect change, when the people who can affect change are right over there.
It wouldn't be an issue if YouTube had a damn "disable auto-play" option like it should! Vimeo doesn't autoplay. It's a stupid internet inconsistency. Half the sites out there behave correctly and have players that require you to press play. The other half suck so many balls.

The other solution is to use Firefox's feature of not loading the page at all until I specifically request it. It would solve all problems. Since it would mean extensions would have plenty of time to finish loading and the browser would start up much faster since it wouldn't be trying to load the entire session at once. (And would save on memory usage since a suspended tab wouldn't be loaded in memory yet.)

Alternate: Make YouTube not use HTML5 at all so I can at least use the "Click to Plugin" feature.

But I don't see either feature hitting either service any time soon because no one on the dev teams listen at all. Surely I'm not the only one wishing for one of these features?

It wouldn't be an issue if YouTube had a damn "disable auto-play" option like it should! Vimeo doesn't autoplay. It's a stupid internet inconsistency. Half the sites out there behave correctly and have players that require you to press play. The other half suck so many balls.

The other solution is to use Firefox's feature of not loading the page at all until I specifically request it. It would solve all problems. Since it would mean extensions would have plenty of time to finish loading and the browser would start up much faster since it wouldn't be trying to load the entire session at once. (And would save on memory usage since a suspended tab wouldn't be loaded in memory yet.)

Alternate: Make YouTube not use HTML5 at all so I can at least use the "Click to Plugin" feature.

But I don't see either feature hitting either service any time soon because no one on the dev teams listen at all. Surely I'm not the only one wishing for one of these features?[

You can't file a bug about youtube on the chrome tracker, but you can still file an issue about your other complaint there related to plugin loaidng, as well as the one above about not loading a page at all until you specifically request it. have you tried doing so on the page that I just linked? Can you post the link to the bug report here so I can look at it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can't file a bug about youtube on the chrome tracker, but you can still file an issue about your other complaint there related to plugin loaidng, as well as the one above about not loading a page at all until you specifically request it. have you tried doing so on the page that I just linked? Can you post the link to the bug report here so I can look at it?
Well if it's intentional as you said, then it's not really a bug. Just an annoyance. I'd settle for the "Load tab when switched to" feature if I knew exactly how to request it. (How to word my feature request) But I suspect it doesn't fit with their "way of life". Also I can't see a way to request a feature, just file a bug report or issue.

In Firefox I can have hundreds of tabs open and the browser starts fast because it's only loading the focused tabs, but Chrome takes forever to load less than a dozen all at once.

Groof

schermafbeelding2013-eiu66.png

Alright, it's stupid, but I can't figure this out. Does anyone know why I can't simply select one of a few languages in the context menu? It now says 'toon spelling en grammatica' or show spelling and grammer. Which makes no fucking sense at all. Of course I want that, just let met switch between Dutch and English on the fly.

Anyone got a fix?

First off, check in the settings if there's spell checking available for your language. Because I have three languages in my spell check window that I can switch between. I have more languages in the settings, but two of them don't have spell check capabilities.

Deques

schermafbeelding2013-eiu66.png

Alright, it's stupid, but I can't figure this out. Does anyone know why I can't simply select one of a few languages in the context menu? It now says 'toon spelling en grammatica' or show spelling and grammer. Which makes no fucking sense at all. Of course I want that, just let met switch between Dutch and English on the fly.

Anyone got a fix?

Do you have the libraries installed?

Go here and add the languages you want to spellcheck
chrome://settings/languages

Well if it's intentional as you said, then it's not really a bug. Just an annoyance. I'd settle for the "Load tab when switched to" feature if I knew exactly how to request it. (How to word my feature request) But I suspect it doesn't fit with their "way of life". Also I can't see a way to request a feature, just file a bug report or issue.

In Firefox I can have hundreds of tabs open and the browser starts fast because it's only loading the focused tabs, but Chrome takes forever to load less than a dozen all at once.

For the first issue you can file a bug report and say "Extensions that inject JavaScript are broken when doing a session restore".

For the second, you cna definitely file a feature request. Click the New Issue button and it takes you through a wizard. On the third step of the Wizard is a dropdown box that asks for the Type of issue. One of the choices is Feature Request. You could word it as "On session restore, provide a mechanism for the user to control whether all tabs are loaded in the background automatically, or whether tabs are loaded on demand (e.g. tab is created, but the page is not loaded until the first time it's clicked)."

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the first issue you can file a bug report and say "Extensions that inject JavaScript are broken when doing a session restore".

For the second, you cna definitely file a feature request. Click the New Issue button and it takes you through a wizard. On the third step of the Wizard is a dropdown box that asks for the Type of issue. One of the choices is Feature Request. You could word it as "On session restore, provide a mechanism for the user to control whether all tabs are loaded in the background automatically, or whether tabs are loaded on demand (e.g. tab is created, but the page is not loaded until the first time it's clicked)."
Yeah. That's a good idea I guess. If I worded it that way. It really shouldn't be an issue, they just need to figure out a way to handle it so extensions always inject before the session is loaded. I just loaded my 15 tab session and the first one didn't get injected with the "Pocket" extension. Reloading the page fixed it. But it means that 30 still loads them simultaneously. I'd settle for a timed delay. Give it a half second before the tabs start loading into memory. If an extension is going to load, it shouldn't take more than that half-second. Know what I mean? Rather than delay the tabs until extensions are finished, just give them a small buffer where they either shit or get off the pot. (Make it optional if they must.)

On a lighter note:

This seems to have fixed the system hanging and stalling when loading the session. I just loaded it up and it was done in 10 seconds without any slowdown. Unlike 29 which would take forever to load all the tabs into memory. (At least on my Air with SSD. But on my mini with an HDD it still took forever. But that thing is slow as moles asses in winter anyway.)

Plus 30 finally has "Google Search this image" built right into the browser for image searching images. Can finally remove the official extension! (I would have thought Chrome would have alerted me to the fact it's no longer needed seeing as it's an official Google extension. I swear they did that before.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have no idea what version the switchover occurred, but there appears to be a new New Tab page as of a month or so ago and I have to say I hate it. The icon targets for the 8 sites are smaller, and in exchange I get a big-ass Google logo and a google search bar? Hey guys, you know the Omnibox does Google searches, right? And they got rid of the previously closed tabs bar on the bottom. I used that an awful lot, surprisingly. I know it's still under Settings -> Recent tabs -> but the general flow felt better before.

Is there a flag I can toggle or an extension I can use to repair these changes?

Echoplx

I have no idea what version the switchover occurred, but there appears to be a new New Tab page as of a month or so ago and I have to say I hate it. The icon targets for the 8 sites are smaller, and in exchange I get a big-ass Google logo and a google search bar? Hey guys, you know the Omnibox does Google searches, right? And they got rid of the previously closed tabs bar on the bottom. I used that an awful lot, surprisingly. I know it's still under Settings -> Recent tabs -> but the general flow felt better before.

You need to disable the "Enable Instant Extended API" flag.

Yeah, but now you get to see the Google Doodles.

For now you can follow the suggestions of the earlier poster to disable Extended Instant. keep in mind, however, that generally when google rolls out these things behind flags, you only get another release or two before the flag is gone and it is no longer possible to get the old functionality back.

FWIW, I believe they've said the search bar is there specifically because their metrics indicate that a huge percentage of users actually *don't* know that you can you can do searches from the Omnibox, and nothing they've tried can make some people understand this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Half the time I don't even know what the options in about:flags actually do until I relaunch. Once I turned one on and it caused all my tabs to constantly reload every 5 seconds. I had to delete my entire profile folder and replace it with a backup. (Which I have run every 5 minutes.)

rekameohs

Banned
Does anyone else on stable have the "Nearly up-to-date! Relaunch Google Chrome to finish updating." message never go away in "About Google Chrome"? I'm on Version 30.0.1599.66 m, and I'm wondering if there's actually an update that it's not getting. Relaunching does not get rid of the message.

I'm just hoping for an update because YouTube is a disaster right now for me in Chrome - freezing about every minute.

Reckoner

I just installed Chrome on Win 8 64bits and it is giving my certificate errors. Suggestions?

edit: I just needed to set the clock lol

jokkir

Anyone know why my YouTube search keyword isn't working? My keyword is "yt" + the search term when I put it into the URL bar. But it stopped working recently (I'm guessing since the last stable release).

Anyone know what's up? My Google Search keyword still works (keyword of "g") and Bestbuy (keyword "bb") but it's only YouTube that doesn't work from what I tried. I also tried deleting it and reinstalling it but didn't fix it.

Milchjon

Use Google+ instead?

RgaKqNC.png

I'm not sure if you've read enough of my posts to understand why me talking to myself in an empty room isn't the most appealing idea.

I've been on Google+ from the beginning. I still have zero, that's ZERO female friends there. The people in my circles aren't the people I'd want to spend time with, and even those only post regurgitated shit from Twitter/FB via IFTTT.

Seriously, fuck Google+. It's the most Microsoftian of all Google products.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just got this weird popup that I've never seen before.

ikkabwljbXKis.png

I haven't used Yahoo! Axis on this computer or in Chrome in years and had already deleted it years ago when I discovered it was just basically shitware. So why would it tell me this now? I have looked through my extensions list many times in the past few years and this has never been in there. So I have no idea where it would have hidden and sat for so long. But thank you for removing it, Chrome. I guess.

I just got this weird popup that I've never seen before.

ikkabwljbXKis.png

I haven't used Yahoo! Axis on this computer or in Chrome in years and had already deleted it years ago when I discovered it was just basically shitware. So why would it tell me this now? I have looked through my extensions list many times in the past few years and this has never been in there. So I have no idea where it would have hidden and sat for so long. But thank you for removing it, Chrome. I guess.

Did the Details button tell you anything useful? Did you recently enable sync, or sign into Chrome by chance?

Edit: I found this in their public code repository. I'm guessing that in the past few days that particular extension was deemed as harmful to your computer or in violation of their extension rules, so they removed it. Not sure why it didn't think itw as deleted though, I guess it was hanging around somehow and/or hiding itself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Did the Details button tell you anything useful? Did you recently enable sync, or sign into Chrome by chance?
Details was extremely unhelpful. It simply opened Extensions.

I have always had sync turned on since it was introduced and Chrome is always signed in.

It was the first time I've ever had a dialog like that at all. And it talked about something I haven't even used or thought about since the day it was revealed and had removed instantly.

I don't know how it would have been left behind since it never showed up in my Extensions or Apps list. And I didn't know Chrome would automatically remove extensions. I guess Yahoo! finally shut the doors on Axis and removed it from the store and Chrome decided the time came to just drop it. But I've never had that happen for other extensions before. So it's just weird.

Edit: That makes sense. I just don't know where it was hiding. If it was. So weird.

longdi

Banned
chrome for android officially sucks now.
I could live with the janky scrolling of old builds, but why did Google take away the swipe to switch tabs???

ok you can still do that along the address bar, but you will need to use 2 hands or risk dropping your phone.

of late google has been changing things for the sake of it.
google = evil.

whats a good alternative browser that a cool s2s feature?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I literally never had a false positive using it. Mouthbreathers with fat fingers ruined it for everyone.

Groof

I literally never had a false positive using it. Mouthbreathers with fat fingers ruined it for everyone.

This is about the funniest shit I've read all week :lol
But yeah, I never had an issue with that. It sucks that they moved it, but I'll cope.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Swipe to switch tabs sucked. Too many false positives.
I don't know how it worked on Android, but iOS still has the swipe to switch feature. Very useful on my iPhone. On iPad though it's done completely wrong and stupidly and should be either replaced with the iPhone method or removed completely because it's shit.

I don't know how it worked on Android, but iOS still has the swipe to switch feature. Very useful on my iPhone. On iPad though it's done completely wrong and stupidly and should be either replaced with the iPhone method or removed completely because it's shit.

there's still one on Android, it just has to be done on the browser bar instead of anywhere like before.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
there's still one on Android, it just has to be done on the browser bar instead of anywhere like before.
I hope they don't change that on iOS.

How were there false positives? I never have problems on iOS. Did it work differently on Android?

On iPad it's really stupid. While on iOS when I swipe from a side, it scrolls to the next tab (From left side it drags over the next left tab for example) but on the iPad it is so clunky and makes me mad. Especially since the tabs are so small and unresponsive.

Been using Chrome over Firefox for the past few months and absolutely love it. However, recently I've been getting popups up the ass. Everytime I go to a new site, an ad at the bottom will pop up saying "Browser Update Available" and other ads will eventually pop up. Makes everything so damn slow. How do I fix this? Im real uneducated when it comes to stuff like this btw. thanks

Edit When i disallow javascript to any site, it goes away. This use to never be a problem. Like I said, I suck at shit like this lol

wilflare

Chrome really needs to STOP activating my dedicated GFX (and drinking my battery) on my MBP 2010 before I can start using them again

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Been using Chrome over Firefox for the past few months and absolutely love it. However, recently I've been getting popups up the ass. Everytime I go to a new site, an ad at the bottom will pop up saying "Browser Update Available" and other ads will eventually pop up. Makes everything so damn slow. How do I fix this? Im real uneducated when it comes to stuff like this btw. thanks

Edit When i disallow javascript to any site, it goes away. This use to never be a problem. Like I said, I suck at shit like this lol
It's obviously a rogue extension.

Post a list of the extensions you use.

Top Bottom