• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jzero

Emerson said:
I finally switched to Chrome and I'm a big fan. However, it very frequently takes forever to load web pages and I also get a lot of web page errors. Is this a known problem or is there something I can do? Naturally at the moment I can't get one to post the exact error but it happens all the time. Next time it does I'll update.
if by the bolded you mean NeoGAF then you're right. i cannot browse gaf with chrome since it's so shitty on there for some reason. i use firefox just so i can go on gaf :/

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Jzero15 said:
if by the bolded you mean NeoGAF then you're right. i cannot browse gaf with chrome since it's so shitty on there for some reason. i use firefox just so i can go on gaf :/
? I'm not seeing that issue at all. Although I recently switched from the dev edition to the beta because gmail is broken in the former for me.

Jzero

scorcho said:
? I'm not seeing that issue at all. Although I recently switched from the dev edition to the beta because gmail is broken in the former for me.
yea it only happens to me for some reason, every other website works perfectly on Chrome though. i also switched too beta, it had way too many bugs.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Jzero15 said:
yea it only happens to me for some reason, every other website works perfectly on Chrome though. i also switched too beta, it had way too many bugs.

Yeah GAF is the worst. It happens all the time. But it's not GAF only.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So, all of a sudden Youtube does not work for me. I just get black boxes, but if I try the link in another browser it works fine. I'm running 12.0.742.112. Is there anything I can do?

vtZNq.png

Ok I thought I was the only one getting that with flash videos and I was disabling every extension one by one and couldn't figure if they affecting it or not. Seems like its just a general chrome thing we might need to wait for a update.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Just discovered Speed Dial (2). Such an awesome idea, never thought to customise the new tab page.

I really like my setup now, but just to see what else there is, are there any alternatives?

And are there extensions that change the look of the omnibar and/or navigation buttons?

I found the problem with chrome not playing youtube videos, you have to add https instead of http. So it is a issue on youtubes end and have no idea when they will fix it but I guess soon. Until then if you want to view a video remember to add the https

If you are lazy you can use this extension it auto enables ssl encryption on sites.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
GhostRidah said:
I found the problem with chrome not playing youtube videos, you have to add https instead of http. So it is a issue on youtubes end and have no idea when they will fix it but I guess soon. Until then if you want to view a video remember to add the https

If you are lazy you can use this extension it auto enables ssl encryption on sites.

That's annoying. The videos don't work if they are embedded on a page as well.

quadriplegicjon said:
That's annoying. The videos don't work if they are embedded on a page as well.
Yea, big mess up on youtubes part, you would think they would be faster about fixing this, it has been going on for the pass few days.

Shepard

GhostRidah said:
Yea, big mess up on youtubes part, you would think they would be faster about fixing this, it has been going on for the pass few days.

I'm using the same version of you and don't have any problems at all on youtube, including the video he used as example. Are cookies enabled? Have you tried disabling all extensions? Are plugins set to start automatically?

mclaren777

Superimposer said:
Just discovered Speed Dial (2). Such an awesome idea, never thought to customise the new tab page.

I really like my setup now, but just to see what else there is, are there any alternatives?
I actually prefer the original Speed Dial because I like the way it handles bookmarks and recently closed pages.

quadriplegicjon said:
So, all of a sudden Youtube does not work for me. I just get black boxes, but if I try the link in another browser it works fine. I'm running 12.0.742.112. Is there anything I can do?

vtZNq.png

I woulda assumed this has something to do with AdBlock... which I have disabled on YouTube. Had this issue with ABP on FireFox in the olden days and occasionally with Chrome.

Shepard said:
I'm using the same version of you and don't have any problems at all on youtube, including the video he used as example. Are cookies enabled? Have you tried disabling all extensions? Are plugins set to start automatically?
Yea I did try that, only thing that works is https for me.

Futureman

why is Youtube not working for me?

I've been on vacation for a week. I came back yesterday and when I watch a video on Chrome (Mac 10.6 w/ lastest Chrome version), it's just a black box with no video controls and no video.

same thing with IE 8 at work.

edit: just realized this is being talked about. So https?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I was just thinking about fullscreen apps in Lion..
I wonder if there will be any special case stuff added to future OSX versions to take advantage of that. They could basically really make it exactly like ChromeOS, couldn't they?

Jasoco

Banned
Jtwo said:
So I was just thinking about fullscreen apps in Lion..
I wonder if there will be any special case stuff added to future OSX versions to take advantage of that. They could basically really make it exactly like ChromeOS, couldn't they?
If they get off their asses and make it work right in Lion, yes. I just want proper fullscreen support and always visible side tabs and I'll be in heaven. (Side tabs don't work in OS X. They're fucked up.)

Sagitario

Is there an option or extension for text zoom only?
I hate how Chrome zooms pictures too [instead of having the option for text, pictures or both like Firefox].

Emerson said:
However, it very frequently takes forever to load web pages and I also get a lot of web page errors. Is this a known problem or is there something I can do? Naturally at the moment I can't get one to post the exact error but it happens all the time. Next time it does I'll update

One of the main reasons I'm leaning more towards Firefox.

So does anyone else have multiple profiles enabled? They've been making small changes to it over the last few months, but as far as I know, the ability to switch between profiles is still not there. You can open another instance of Chrome and log in with a different "profile," but you have to go through the log-in and sync-from-scratch process every time. And whichever Chrome window you close last decides which becomes the default profile. Where's my switcher? :mad:

gcubed

my sync in chrome fails all the time now, when i try to re-enter my password it just sits there trying and never comes back complete

Kyoufu

Is youtube iffy for anyone else? For example, the transition from normal to fullscreen view isn't smooth. The video ends up stopping for a second or two before moving again...

This happened on Vista and now Windows 7, so I don't think its my computer.

eznark

Banned
Is there a way to add/delete buttons from the address bar? Trying to decide if I want to get back into chrome since Firefox seems to be seizing up on me tonight.

Jasoco

Banned
eznark said:
Is there a way to add/delete buttons from the address bar? Trying to decide if I want to get back into chrome since Firefox seems to be seizing up on me tonight.
Only the Home button. And any extensions that have toolbar buttons.

LProtag

Is there a way to tell Chrome to not keep a history at all? I'm trying to find it but I just can't. I hate it when my address bar fills up with all the crap I've been to, I never use it and it just gets in my way.

kehs

Banned
eznark said:
So no way to get the great firefox minimalist look. Hmm, not sure I'll stick to this

You can get more minimalist than chrome?

Have you tried the "compact" mode in about:flags?

kehs

Banned
Profiles finally work with sync. So fucking awesome.

They SO need to release Chrome on android.

Opera, we may have to bid farewell. Your gentle gestures are elegant and very well integrated, but alas you can't fulfill my needs anymore.

Dartastic

So my copy of Chrome seems to be fucked. I'm running it on mac, and I've re-installed it and it is still broken. I was clearing my cache when it crashed, and now the screen looks like this. It just won't load properly anymore. Anyone, help?
screen-capture-11.png

Dartastic said:
So my copy of Chrome seems to be fucked. I'm running it on mac, and I've re-installed it and it is still broken. I was clearing my cache when it crashed, and now the screen looks like this. It just won't load properly anymore. Anyone, help?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z30/dart533/screen-capture-11.png
Maybe try renaming this folder /Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default to Default.bak or something so Chrome creates a new one from scratch.

Jasoco

Banned
I have that now. It's a feature of Xmarks. But since it's not integrated I can only open them manually from a list.

Right now all I fucking want in Chrome is working side tabs for OS X and proper Lion Fullscreen support. Those two together will make Lion dreamy.

Jasoco said:
Right now all I fucking want in Chrome is working side tabs for OS X and proper Lion Fullscreen support. Those two together will make Lion dreamy.
What's wrong with fullscreen in Lion? Just doesn't work? I'm still on SL, plus I don't really use fullscreen.

Jasoco

Banned
Fullscreen in Lion is not the same as Fullscreen in ANY other OS at all. It's a totally new paradigm. Each application window that is put in fullscreen gets its own space, i.e. virtual desktop, and can be switched between via trackpad gestures or key command. It's truly amazing.

But currently Chrome only supports the old-world style Fullscreen where the app window takes over the entire desktop and doesn't give it up until you leave fullscreen.

Trust me, in Lion, you will want to use Fullscreen. Everything has it now. iTunes, Mail, iCal, Safari as well as all the iLife and iWork applications. When Chrome supports that, it'll be a dream. And side tabs will just make it so much better.

Jasoco

Banned
Mike Works said:
So dumb question, but is there any chance Chrome will ever get an iOS version?
Probably not Chrome itself... Android doesn't even have Chrome because the two teams are big babies who can't get along. So, unless some enterprising Chromium developer decides to take it up, it won't happen. There is iChromy which is supposed to feel like Chrome, but it's just blah. If I'm going to have Chrome on my iOS, I want full Chrome support complete with syncing of bookmarks, settings and a select few extensions designed to work across platforms. (If Apple allows that sort of thing.) Thing is a properly designed Chrome iOS could work perfectly with most extensions right out of the "box" so to speak. It would just need an area to place the buttons, the ability to place the icons in the location bar if needed, as well as popovers for visual-ness. Thing is bookmark syncing would be useless to me. I'd need extension support with a proper Xmarks extension since that's what I use.

Jasoco said:
Probably not Chrome itself... Android doesn't even have Chrome because the two teams are big babies who can't get along. So, unless some enterprising Chromium developer decides to take it up, it won't happen. There is iChromy which is supposed to feel like Chrome, but it's just blah. If I'm going to have Chrome on my iOS, I want full Chrome support complete with syncing of bookmarks, settings and a select few extensions designed to work across platforms. (If Apple allows that sort of thing.) Thing is a properly designed Chrome iOS could work perfectly with most extensions right out of the "box" so to speak. It would just need an area to place the buttons, the ability to place the icons in the location bar if needed, as well as popovers for visual-ness. Thing is bookmark syncing would be useless to me. I'd need extension support with a proper Xmarks extension since that's what I use.
Do you use iCab or something else (for iPad)?

Top Bottom