• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

KiKaL said:
Anyone know of how I can get my bookmarks to not get repeated on different machines? I have the same set of bookmarks on my machines and when Chrome syncs instead of merging it just add all the folders again.

I tried using Xcode and that seemed to be even worst.
The first time you set up sync, it puts everything in together. Once sync is enabled, however, you can delete, merge, move, edit, etc. and the changes will be reflected on each browser.

To avoid this, before setting up sync on another browser in the future, first delete all personal settings (basically make it a new installation) then log in to sync. Bam, you've got all your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, etc. Works a lot nicer than Xmarks, for me.

KiKaL

Battersea Power Station said:
The first time you set up sync, it puts everything in together. Once sync is enabled, however, you can delete, merge, move, edit, etc. and the changes will be reflected on each browser.

To avoid this, before setting up sync on another browser in the future, first delete all personal settings (basically make it a new installation) then log in to sync. Bam, you've got all your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, etc. Works a lot nicer than Xmarks, for me.

I try this, and then it seems I will fix it on one and it will be all messed up on the other. Then if I fix it on that one the other one will get all screwy.

I think last time I used Xmarks I had google sync still on so maybe that will fix it.

Baconbitz

Banned
Maybe, it's not chrome I don't know. I mentioned this in the question thread with no luck. Most times when I try to launch my web camera in tinychat on chrome my computer gets a blue screen with an error then resets. According to something I red on yahoo answers it has something to do with flash. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

kehs

Banned
Baconbitz said:
Maybe, it's not chrome I don't know. I mentioned this in the question thread with no luck. Most times when I try to launch my web camera in tinychat on chrome my computer gets a blue screen with an error then resets. According to something I red on yahoo answers it has something to do with flash. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Grab the latests drivers for you cam from the mfgs.

Jasoco

Banned

Useless if you have more than one browser on more than one system. If you have multiple browsers, make sure to turn off Bookmarks sync and use Xmarks for the Bookmarks part. You can keep the rest of the syncing on like extensions and passwords.

iNvid02

saw this for the first time, seems like they are getting a little bit better with those bs scans

tpfDI.png

Jasoco

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
saw this for the first time, seems like they are getting a little bit better with those bs scans

tpfDI.png
What site was that on? I want to see if it's smart enough to taylor itself for Mac users.

kehs

Banned
iNvidious01 said:

tpfDI.png

Little help someone? I'm clicking on the start protection and it's not doing anything. I'm gonna disconnect my lan before anything else happens. Some please call me and walk me through starting my protection please.

Echoplx

So the dev channel is back to being stable now, not sure what they did with the previous update but it was terrible.

Anyone know of an extension similar to downloadhelper for firefox? I found that Internet Download Manager works good but I'd rater something integrated within the browser.

3chopl0x said:
So the dev channel is back to being stable now, not sure what they did with the previous update but it was terrible.

Anyone know of an extension similar to downloadhelper for firefox? I found that Internet Download Manager works good but I'd rater something integrated within the browser.
What are the features/benefits that you're looking for?

Is that just a scam thing? Looks like a website trying to trick the guy into thinking he has a virus so he'll click on "start protection" which in turn would give him a virus.

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
Little help someone? I'm clicking on the start protection and it's not doing anything. I'm gonna disconnect my lan before anything else happens. Some please call me and walk me through starting my protection please.

I get something similar sometimes while searching for images, particularly GIFs.
Just close your chrome entirely. Somehow these fuckers have a way to lock the tab this is on, so you can't just close it. Have to close the entire browser and then make sure you don't restore your previous tab sessions.

Edit: I know you are not being serious, this post was intended for the guy you quoted.

Echoplx

What are the features/benefits that you're looking for?

Well if you've used the app then pretty much all the features it has :) but specifically the ability to batch download images from pages and downloading any type of flash media (not just youtube videos)

3chopl0x said:
Well if you've used the app then pretty much all the features it has :) but specifically the ability to batch download images from pages and downloading any type of flash media (not just youtube videos)
For ripping Flash stuff, this is pretty handy:

http://www.clipconverter.cc/addon/

The service (and so the bookmarklet) works on all the popular media sites, but the browser extensions only add a button to YouTube pages.

As for the batch downloading, I don't have any experience with that. What is it used for, anyway?

Echoplx

For ripping Flash stuff, this is pretty handy:

http://www.clipconverter.cc/addon/

The service (and so the bookmarklet) works on all the popular media sites, but the browser extensions only add a button to YouTube pages.

As for the batch downloading, I don't have any experience with that. What is it used for, anyway?

Thanks for that, it's not ideal but it works pretty well.

The batch downloading is useful in situations where there is a page with thumbnail images that link directly to the larger version, what downloadhelper does is let you select the thumbnails and download the large version without having to actually open it (that may not have made sense :p)

Jasoco

Banned
Copernicus said:
Something might be wrong with your Heisenberg compensator. You could try fiddling with the isopalavial interface until the firomantal drive reboots.

Everdred

Anyone notice that they removed better youtube from the extensions? I loved that one and I have a fresh install. Anyone know where I can get the installer file for it? I'm assuming it was taken down for copyright since it had a download button (not even why I liked it).

Van Owen

Banned
Everdred said:
Anyone notice that they removed better youtube from the extensions? I loved that one and I have a fresh install. Anyone know where I can get the installer file for it? I'm assuming it was taken down for copyright since it had a download button (not even why I liked it).
I noticed that too. There's other dl extensions though for YouTube.

kehs

Banned
So I'm currently on 13 Dev, and I've come across a very peculiar behavior of pin tabs.

I'm using Gapps gmail account tied to a domain. I keep the tab open 100% of the time. Within the past weeks I've noticed the connection here has dropped to ridiculous levels. (the connection is shitty 700kbps maxed out.) Anyways, after testing and poking around I realized if I pin the gmail tab everything comes to a crawl on the entire network. I'm talking...like down to 700 BITS/S - 3 kb/s.

What exactly is changing when you pin a gmail tab?

Anyone else here watch streams like on justin.tv? for the last month or so I keep getting spikes in videos after say 10 minutes of viewing the stream, it plays fine in firefox or opera.

I need to figure which one of my 30 extensions is causing the problem sigh.

kehs

Banned
Baconbitz said:
I've done this but still having the same problem. Do you think this is my problem and it has nothing to do with chrome?

Well, it helps to rule out where the problem starts. Can you get the camera working in any other application (msn/yahoo/etc)? If they run there then it's a flash/chrome/tinychat problem.

Baconbitz

Banned
Copernicus said:
Well, it helps to rule out where the problem starts. Can you get the camera working in any other application (msn/yahoo/etc)? If they run there then it's a flash/chrome/tinychat problem.
I've gotten it to run through the application manycam. Also, there are some times when it does run on tinychat without giving me the error and restarting my computer.
Also, I got this from scanning with spybot. I'm gonna remove that then open just tinychat and do a scan.

Edit: Its not tinychat.
Edit 2: I think Go Nintendo.com is having an affect on making it crash. I'm using noscript, and adblock plus. Is there anything else I can use security wise?
Edit 3: so, I brought up manycam then try to launch my cam through tinychat and it happened again. I'm doing another scan. I'm thinking that manycam is at fault.

bangai-o

Banned
Amazon is showing upcoming Chromebooks. over 400 dollars. Does that not seem a bit expensive for a laptop that does far less than a Windows?

bangai-o said:
Amazon is showing upcoming Chromebooks. over 400 dollars. Does that not seem a bit expensive for a laptop that does far less than a Windows?

That's exactly my thought about it. I feel the same way about iPad versus laptop. The value just isn't there for either one yet.

gcubed

added_time said:
That's exactly my thought about it. I feel the same way about iPad versus laptop. The value just isn't there for either one yet.

i see the tablet premium as portability and ease of use, chromebook doesnt get me that for the price

Jzero

bangai-o said:
Couldn't agree more, i wouldn't pay more that $100 for one.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I don't get the price either. For $400-500 you can buy a tablet or even a full laptop or if so inclined, a useless netbook. They should not be more than $100-200 to actually sell.

kehs

Banned
Whoever built the CR-48 should build the exact same thing, and sell em for $250. Mine has been holding up just fine since December.

quaere

So I've had the Samsung Chromebook for a couple days, and I love it, with one exception - Flash. Big surprise there. It crashes, and any crashes at all on a computer like this are completely unacceptable. When it's disabled, things are rock solid.

Here's the thing about the price - you will not be able to get hardware of this quality below this price. I've used a lot of netbooks, and this is not a POS netbook. This is a real laptop that happens to only run a web browser, with instant-on, free 3G, good battery life, and zero maintenance.

Whether that trade-off appeals to you is up to your use case, but I am happy Google made the decision to make a quality product for those of us who it works for, rather than try to sell the OS on inferior hardware simply by being cheaper.

quaere

mclaren777 said:
How is the screen on the Samsung Chromebook?
Good. Much better than the terrible screens in the current line of ~$450 12" Eee PCs, for example. Better than my 2009 12" Samsung that also costed about $450. Not up to 11" Macbook Air standards though, obviously.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know why that thing is so overpriced. The OS is free, even! It would be a great deal if it were cheaper.

theDeeDubs

This might be a more suitable thread for this question.

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung wifi model Chromebook. It would be a true 'netbook' for me and something I would just use on the couch for surfing or youtube. I assume these would do HD videos better than the Android tablets? Shouldn't not having Windows on the hardware give a performance boost compared to netbooks with similar specs?

Jasoco

Banned
The high prices of the actual machines will literally kill ChromeOS. No one will pay $500 when it's sitting next to a full machine running an actual OS or a tablet for the same price.

quaere

-Red_Mage- said:
This might be a more suitable thread for this question.

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung wifi model Chromebook. It would be a true 'netbook' for me and something I would just use on the couch for surfing or youtube. I assume these would do HD videos better than the Android tablets? Shouldn't not having Windows on the hardware give a performance boost compared to netbooks with similar specs?
A dual core Atom is still more powerful than any current tablet CPU. It runs Chrome OS better than a similarly spec'd netbook would run Windows 7. Obviously, Chrome OS is much simpler and has less functionality.

If there are any particular video sites you're interested in knowing the performance for, I can test them out.

theDeeDubs

aswedc said:
A dual core Atom is still more powerful than any current tablet CPU. It runs Chrome OS better than a similarly spec'd netbook would run Windows 7. Obviously, Chrome OS is much simpler and has less functionality.

If there are any particular video sites you're interested in knowing the performance for, I can test them out.

That would be great. Youtube (720p is fine), Justintv, and Giantbomb are the main sites I'm on for videos. I hear Netflix isn't available yet which is a bummer. I'm also curious how USB mice work on it.

I see these getting a lot of flak on the internet, but they seem to be what netbooks should've been all along.

quaere

-Red_Mage- said:
That would be great. Youtube (720p is fine), Justintv, and Giantbomb are the main sites I'm on for videos. I hear Netflix isn't available yet which is a bummer. I'm also curious how USB mice work on it.

I see these getting a lot of flak on the internet, but they seem to be what netbooks should've been all along.
Since I'm exceptionally lazy, please provide direct links to applicable videos on each of those sites.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I've got a low end nebook (Dell Inspiron with an Intel Atom N450 1.66ghz with 1.00 GB memory and Windows 7 Starter) and I have a 4G connection with Firefox 4.0.1. Out of the current version of Firefox I have, would you recommend I go with Chrome. Would it be faster on this slow machine or should I just stick with Firefox?

Kweh

GhostRidah said:
I think Incognito window does that

It does, but ideally I would like to browse where it kept my cookies and just didn't track my history. Basically, for when I am at work.

Firefox gives you the choice to use custom settings or never remember history.

Even a 'Clear history when browser closes' option would be fine.

Top Bottom