• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Bollocks

Darkmakaimura said:
I've got a low end nebook (Dell Inspiron with an Intel Atom N450 1.66ghz with 1.00 GB memory and Windows 7 Starter) and I have a 4G connection with Firefox 4.0.1. Out of the current version of Firefox I have, would you recommend I go with Chrome. Would it be faster on this slow machine or should I just stick with Firefox?
At least try out Chrome.
I'm now approaching my 2nd year with Chrome on my Netbook(eee, same spec as yours, except 2GB of ram) and I've never looked back since.

Especially for Netbooks, Chrome is just so much better, you get the maximum screen estate possible. I made the switch from Firefox to Chrome because FF back then was unacceptable on a Netbook it was just too cluttered(Titlebar, Menu, Tabsbar, Statusbar,Bookmarkbar)by default, FF4 changed this but too little too late.

Chrome also has the better Javascript Engine, so it's faster on JS heavy sites and features built in hardware accelerated flash video support. I can now watch 720p youtube videos on my Netbook. Also built in is a PDF reader.

I also set the windows taskbar on autohide and moved it to the right, now I get the best web experience possible on a Netbook.
I would always choose Chrome over Firefox (especially when it comes to Netbooks ;) )

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey folks, I was using Google Chrome Canary for a while and all of the sudden after an update I cannot type anything in the chat box when using Google Talk through my iGoogle page. Anyone have this happen?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does anyone have slight freezes every time you click into a text box for a new tab?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hey folks, I was using Google Chrome Canary for a while and all of the sudden after an update I cannot type anything in the chat box when using Google Talk through my iGoogle page. Anyone have this happen?
Yes. It happened to me in the Dev version as well, although a subsequent update seems to have fixed it. I was too lazy to change Chrome channels, so for a while I had to copy some text to my clipboard and then ctrl+v, ctrl+a before I start typing in Google chat. Really annoying, but I'm not complaining since I know I'm on the Dev channel.

I think the Mac Dev version still has this issue.

Jasoco

Banned
Kweh said:
It does, but ideally I would like to browse where it kept my cookies and just didn't track my history. Basically, for when I am at work.

Firefox gives you the choice to use custom settings or never remember history.

Even a 'Clear history when browser closes' option would be fine.
You can erase the history from an hour, day, week, month or forever ago.

hitsugi

Jasoco said:
You can erase the history from an hour, day, week, month or forever ago.
Yeah but there's no automated / routine history maintenance functions, and that's just silly if not intentional for some reason.

quaere

-Red_Mage- said:
I also tested an AMD E-350, the top netbook CPU/graphics combo right now, on Windows 7.

Giant Bomb - smooth on both in high. HD is for members only or something like that.
Youtube - slight stuttering appears to be part of the source recording. Otherwise smooth on both
Justin.tv - slight stuttering appears to be part of the source recording. Otherwise smooth on both.
Game Trailers Hd - about 80% on the Chromebook if 100% is perfect. Watchable. Crashed during the video. About 95% on the E-350. Frame drops barely noticeable.

Hey Google, maybe if you'd done the right thing and joined Apple in killing Flash, it wouldn't be ruining your new product right now.

Oh yeah forgot about the USB mouse question. It works just as well as any other computer. I don't know what else there is to say about that.

KiKaL

aswedc said:
Hey Google, maybe if you'd done the right thing and joined Apple in killing Flash, it wouldn't be ruining your new product right now.

Isn't that more so in the hands of the site developer? If they are handling video correctly they should be only using Flash as a failsafe if the system does not have HTML5 support.

I just downgraded from the dev channel to the release channel, and all of a sudden everything works much more consistently. Google sure does make changing channels much more of a pain than it is on Firefox, though, where you can just select it from a menu.

theDeeDubs

aswedc said:
I also tested an AMD E-350, the top netbook CPU/graphics combo right now, on Windows 7.

Giant Bomb - smooth on both in high. HD is for members only or something like that.
Youtube - slight stuttering appears to be part of the source recording. Otherwise smooth on both
Justin.tv - slight stuttering appears to be part of the source recording. Otherwise smooth on both.
Game Trailers Hd - about 80% on the Chromebook if 100% is perfect. Watchable. Crashed during the video. About 95% on the E-350. Frame drops barely noticeable.

Oh yeah forgot about the USB mouse question. It works just as well as any other computer. I don't know what else there is to say about that.

Thanks a lot. Now to wait for Amazon to get the wifi's in stock.

Tokubetsu

Anyone here use Notscripts? I keep getting some "html5 storage" error thing with certain pages. Whenever I click the button that displays it, it'll reload the page and things will be fine but I'd like to avoid that.

Example of the error:
iYdpI.jpg

cooljeanius said:
I just downgraded from the dev channel to the release channel, and all of a sudden everything works much more consistently. Google sure does make changing channels much more of a pain than it is on Firefox, though, where you can just select it from a menu.
Firefox has taken that ability away.

survivor

Banned
I have been trying the new hide address bar feature and I fucking love it. It's so awesome having only one row on top giving me more vertical space. Now if there is a way to bring in the address bar with a keyboard shortcut, it will be perfect.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
survivor said:
I have been trying the new hide address bar feature and I fucking love it. It's so awesome having only one row on top giving me more vertical space. Now if there is a way to bring in the address bar with a keyboard shortcut, it will be perfect.

Agreed.

Also, two issues I have:

1. When you open a new tab, you can't start typing right away in canary. You can in the base Chrome. I always open a new tab and start typing and realize a sentence in that nothing I typed is there...

2. When you try to copy a URL from the URL bar it doesn't copy on the first try. I will jump to a tab, copy, and paste it in a chat with my friend only to realize that what i wanted didn't copy.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Already having problems with Chrome and I just installed yesterday. Was playing a Steam game and game crashed. Restarted PC. Now, Chrome won't respond at all when I click on the Desktop shortcut or Chrome in the program files. It's not bringing up the browser at all. It shows the loading icon for half a second and then nothing. Firefox and IE work just fine. WTF!?

Edit: It won't even let me uninstall. Does this mean I have to re-download this...?

Tokubetsu

Really want/tempted to go back to stable release but it's so annoying getting shit back to where I want. Compatability etc.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Update: Re-downloaded and re-installed Chrome and it's working again. It even kept all my bookmarks and my progress on Angry Birds. Not sure what happened. It's like the browser itself got completely knocked out or the links from the desktop/program files weren't connecting somehow. It really took a crash from a 10 year old game to cause this?

hmm I was pro Dev build until the last 2 months had so many issues, so now I run chrome stable as my main and canary build whenever I want to check out the latest features and fool around with it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My mouse wheel (within the chrome windows) and my window's minimize/max-restore/close buttons stop working when I have two chrome window's side by side with windows 7 snap.

Ie:
NETFLIX | GAF

Started in the last week. Chrome 12 bug I think.

Is there a way to add the title bar back to Chrome? That's one of my biggest irks with the application.

Actually, I think my number one issue is how much it clashes with the standard UI of Mac OS X.

Jasoco

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
Is there a way to add the title bar back to Chrome? That's one of my biggest irks with the application.

Actually, I think my number one issue is how much it clashes with the standard UI of Mac OS X.
Actually, a lot of OS X apps are getting rid of the titlebar area. iTunes tried to do it and everyone complained, but some others do get rid of it and make use of that space. Like the App Store and the new GitHub app. Personally I think it looks nice that way and gives me 22 extra pixels of usable space.

Jasoco said:
Actually, a lot of OS X apps are getting rid of the titlebar area. iTunes tried to do it and everyone complained, but some others do get rid of it and make use of that space. Like the App Store and the new GitHub app. Personally I think it looks nice that way and gives me 22 extra pixels of usable space.
Which I'm OK with, but when I have 20-plus NeoGAF threads open and all I can see is the Favicon, Chrome is really frustrating.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I know how that is, but I'd rather save the space at the top. Maybe put the title somewhere else?

I get around it on NeoGAF by making my own extensions for viewing my GAF list and reading the thread title by embedding it into the page at the bottom along with the pageination list.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So how is Google Chrome's information tracking. Does it bother anyone here/keep them from using the browser? I always liked the speed of Chrome vs Firefox, but I don't like the info tracking.

Jasoco

Banned
Nope. I think the paranoia is stupid. Who cares if it knows you were at Starbucks yesterday? Who cares if you went to a certain web site? No one at Google gives a shit. If anything, it means I get ads targeted at me, and not a random ad for some vibrating pleasure ring or something.

Google has no more information about you than you have publicly put on the internet. So unless you post your social security number and credit card on a website in plain view, there's no big deal.

Other than that, Google can know everything they want to know about me. I don't care.

But that's just me.

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
Nope. I think the paranoia is stupid. Who cares if it knows you were at Starbucks yesterday? Who cares if you went to a certain web site? No one at Google gives a shit. If anything, it means I get ads targeted at me, and not a random ad for some vibrating pleasure ring or something.

Google has no more information about you than you have publicly put on the internet. So unless you post your social security number and credit card on a website in plain view, there's no big deal.

Other than that, Google can know everything they want to know about me. I don't care.

But that's just me.

You know Google is just a covert branch of Obama's National ID program right?

Haven't really read through this thread yet but I need some help. My Chrome has a black bar in the address bar and it's been like this for at least a week. Thought it might have been related to the theme but I changed it and that didn't help. Anyone know how to fix this?

Jasoco

Banned
Pics or it didn't happen!

Screenshot plz

Also, version number. There's 5 different branches. Which one are you on?

Jadedx

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Does anyone have slight freezes every time you click into a text box for a new tab?
I used to get random freezes when I opened a new tab, started a download or played flash files. I seriously do not get the hype for chrome. I am so tired of all the crashes and lock ups.

Jasoco

Banned
h3nriqu3 said:
Google Chrome 13.0.782.32 beta-m

http://i.imgur.com/nkM16.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's odd. It's almost like you'r blacking out the URL for the screenshot. It must be a corrupt graphic resource. Have you tried either A) reinstalling or B) switching to a second channel? On OS X I can have all 5 channels installed at once. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing on Windows.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've also had a weird issue in Chrome for the last 4-5 versions.

HTML5 <video> H264 MP4s play fine, but the player shows a big white square instead of a play button:
KSfxi.png

I've confirmed it happens on all Chrome browsers as well, because an end-user reported this to me as well. Doesn't happen in any other browser, either. Can't find anything on Google suggesting why.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have hardware acceleration turned on?

I remember a few version back when it broke a bunch of things. Like images would appear as white squares.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
D4Danger said:
Do you have hardware acceleration turned on?

I remember a few version back when it broke a bunch of things. Like images would appear as white squares.

I probably do, but that doesn't explain the other users who reported it because I can't imagine any of them (middle aged librarians and managers mostly), play around with flags. Still, I'll check.

Edit: Nope, guess when I got pushed to Chrome 13 it automatically disabled that flag. *shrugs*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Found the source of the bug.

Code:
<style>
input	{	background-color: #FFFFFF; }		
</style>
<video controls preload="load"><source src="example_mp4.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
</video>

If you style the input tag background colour, it impacts the video tag controls. Chrome neglects to tell you this, and the inherited input tag CSS property does NOT show up when you inspect elements.

Totally fucking dumb.

Pyrokai

So I'm in need of some help with what I believe is an HTML5 issue.

HTML5 is not working for me when I visit Facebook using Chrome (Mac). Nothing that I *think* uses HTML5 on Facebook is working for me when I use Chrome. So that means I can't view notifications, view "more comments" or watch any posted videos. Does anyone know what's going on? This is the ONLY site I'm having problems with. No other site using HTML5 is giving me this issue. This problem started about a week ago for me; before that it was working just fine for as long as I've been using Chrome. Also, I've checked Facebook through Safari and Firefox and it works fine there.

Is this a new compatibility problem between Chrome (Mac) and Facebook or is it just me? It's driving me nuts, though. Have to launch a new browser just for Facebook.

Go319

ok new to chrome here, loving it, but is there a listing of the best extensions somewhere?

or what is a must have etc?

cheers

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I finally switched to Chrome and I'm a big fan. However, it very frequently takes forever to load web pages and I also get a lot of web page errors. Is this a known problem or is there something I can do? Naturally at the moment I can't get one to post the exact error but it happens all the time. Next time it does I'll update.

blamite

So is there anything out there that does a good job of replicating Firefox's live bookmarks for RSS feeds?
I would switch to Chrome right now, but I really can't live without my live bookmarks. Any good extensions for this?

Top Bottom