• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
That's Maximized. Not fullscreen. Fullscreen is a bit different. What does it do on Windows when you use Chrome's Fullscreen option? Fake edit: Well now. Windows Chrome doesn't have a Fullscreen option? What gives? I guess Fullscreen must be an OS X thing.

Mac OS X™ Fullscreen® is different from what everyone has been calling fullscreen since forever. F11 initiates the "Windows version" of fullscreen, with the page taking up the whole view area, without any of the browser or OS chrome whatsoever.

Jasoco said:
Which is interesting because Fullscreen makes the window take up the WHOLE screen including removing the menubar and Dock. Does Linux have Fullscreen?

I'm sure it does.

Jasoco said:
Windows with Maximizing:
http://i.min.us/il00y4.PNG[IMG]

OS X with Fullscreen:
[IMG]http://i.min.us/il026C.PNG[IMG]

You get more pixels in OS X.[/quote]

Setting the taskbar to auto-hide or the slimmed down version would essentially be the same thing.

I find it odd this is some great new feature for OS X. Have Mac apps really been without a maximization option for this long?

[QUOTE=Jasoco]And would get even more if they removed the top buffer. Of course, this is Chrome Canary so hopefully someone realizes this before release. But I assume they kept the buffer there to prevent activating the menubar. Which is why it should have a delay. But I suspect the menubar slide delay is controlled by OS X and not the app developer.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine so. It's pointless to complain about Dev/Canary glitches or drawbacks, really.

Jasoco

Banned
Andrex said:
Mac OS X™ Fullscreen® is different from what everyone has been calling fullscreen since forever. F11 initiates the "Windows version" of fullscreen, with the page taking up the whole view area, without any of the browser or OS chrome whatsoever.
There it is. But I dislike how it hides the stuff. I prefer having the Location and Tabs visible with the content taking up the rest. OS X's Chrome (Canary) has both modes. As I mentioned it's now called "Presentation Mode". So Chrome Canary supports both kinds of Fullscreen. "Presentation" mode which is like Chrome on Windows and presumably Linux as well as Firefox's version. And "Safari Style" where it keeps the Location bar and tabs visible.

Verrry interesting. I don't want to argue though. I didn't know F11 was standard for fullscreen in Windows. I notice Minecraft on OS X also uses this key which bugs me because I used to use F11 as an F-key for Desktop Exposé. But decided to turn it to nothing so I could use it in Minecraft. Now I wish F11 was standard on OS X too. Maybe I can figure out how to map F11 to the "standard" Lion combination for Fullscreen... (Command+Control+F)

As I said, Fullscreen is NOT Maximization. Maximization is just making the window as big as the empty content area. You could do this in OS X manually since the dawn of time. (It just didn't have a proper button to do it in every app.) Fullscreen makes the app take up the entire screen including menu and Dock areas and places it in its own space. Just to clarify.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So fullscreen on OS X is like maximizing on Windows with auto-hiding the taskbar enabled?

There's really no reason to do that on Windows since you don't have both a menu bar and big honking dock taking up tons of space all the time. Then again Windows 7 moved in the wrong direction and made the taskbar huge too... But thankfully the slim style is still an option.

Jasoco

Banned
Here you go. Maximizing would be equivalent to the left picture where the Dock would be the Taskbar, and the window would take up the rest of the space as well as the menubar (Which would be part of the Windows app if it had one, or not if it hides it now) and the right side is Fullscreen. Which is basically just removing all OS chrome and leaving just the app. The Dock can still be accessed by a gesture as can the menubar by another movement. But it gives you all the space on screen to work with. This is why it's a big deal because of how they're handled. Each of these Fullscreen windows gets its own "Space" (Google Virtual desktops for information) and in Lion, you can switch between them with a swipe. (You can see how they are all lined up in that first screenshot I posted the other day.) Each app can have a different look in Fullscreen if it wants to as well. For instance, iPhoto changes to a different interface and Safari loses some of its Chrome, but not all. (For instance the Bookmarks bar hides itself until you show the menubar)
ijfzso.PNG

Notice how it not only gives you the 22 pixels where the menubar is, but also the 22 pixels that the title bar usually takes up as well as the Dock, which can be anywhere from 34 to 128 pixels high or wide.

Anteater

Not sure why but Chrome doesn't seem to load pages well when I press "back" in the past 2 dev builds, I might give Canary a try. It also often crashes when I open the save as dialogue and my external hdd is loading, not sure if it's a Lion thing.

Jasoco

Banned
Anteater said:
Not sure why but Chrome doesn't seem to load pages well when I press "back" in the past 2 dev builds, I might give Canary a try.
Yeah. That's why I left the Dev.

But I'll warn you, some of the Canaries also have this problem.

MooMoo

Jasoco said:
The Dev was so horrible that I actually switched to Canary and haven't had any problems yet at all.
Usually I don't have any major issues with the Dev build. The only other time I've had any other issues was a few builds ago when the back button stopped working but they fixed it, or at least it fixed it for me. But yeah, this whole page crashing thing is really annoying.

MooMoo said:
Anyone on the most recent dev build (14.0.835.29 I believe) experiencing constant page crashing?

I had that a few updates ago on the dev build, not sure exactly what number I was on. I even posted about it, but no one answered. Updating it fixed it up for me instantly.

Jasoco

Banned
One of my favorite features of the latest Canary, aside from the proper Lion Fullscreen support is how if you have your downloads folder (Whatever folder is set for default downloading to, in my case it's the Desktop) in your Dock, it will bounce it when the file finishes like Safari does.

Now if only they'd implement the Safari-like download button/list and remove the download bar.

MooMoo

EskimoJoe said:
I had that a few updates ago on the dev build, not sure exactly what number I was on. I even posted about it, but no one answered. Updating it fixed it up for me instantly.
Weird. Well I can't update seeing as I'm already on the most recent build haha. Maybe I'll just downgrade it instead of waiting for a quick fix. Thanks anyways!

gcubed

Anteater said:
Not sure why but Chrome doesn't seem to load pages well when I press "back" in the past 2 dev builds, I might give Canary a try. It also often crashes when I open the save as dialogue and my external hdd is loading, not sure if it's a Lion thing.

Same here and I'm on PC. Its becoming a large annoyance to not be able to use the back button

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does Chrome have the Safari back and forward gesture animations?

One of my favorite addons for firefox is Downthemall. Is there anything like that for Chrome? Some downloads just take forever using the build in download manager :|

survivor

Banned
Since GAF has a lot of web developers, I figured I would ask here. Anyone worked with Simple REST Client extension? It works fine for me, but when I want to use the Data field for a POST request, just nothing happens. I can add my parameters to the URL and it works, but I figured using the Data can be better in the long run.

Jasoco

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
What Lion features are included?
Probably none. Lion features are coming in 15. Which is what Canary is currently on. If you want Lion features now, switch to Canary. It's pretty stable for me, but of course it can break at any time. It gets updated once a day or so.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WTF is up with this random manikin pic I get now in chrome 15. Teh ugly! Rather have the cupcake or whatever back!!!

kehs

Banned
Brettison said:
WTF is up with this random manikin pic I get now in chrome 15. Teh ugly! Rather have the cupcake or whatever back!!!

Change it.

Options > Personal stuff > default profile > Manage

Also, Sign-In requests, fuck yes. I loved it on Honeycomb, and I'm loving it now.

metallsica shoud be happy now:

Enable syncing sessions
Enable sessions in the sync options. This allows syncing your sessions to other clients.
Enable

Sagitario

Is there an option or extension for text zoom only?
I hate how Chrome zooms pictures too [instead of having the option for text, pictures or both like Firefox].

Nabs

Kunohara said:
Wow, I've never heard of Maxthon. That one fits I guess.

I hear it's pretty big in China. MyIE2/Maxthon was pretty much the Firefox before Firefox was around. I used to love it back when we only had a choice between IE and Netscape.

I need some help please, I used FavBackup to get my extensions from my old HDD, and when trying to restore the backup on my current Windows installation, the BetterYoutube extension isn't installed.

I have the folder on its own, but when I try to load it to chrome, the files inside it disappear!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:

that was confusing me this morning

kept thinking I was in incognito mode

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, anyone else have an issue with Canary where when you bring up a google chat box (in any page supporting g-chat like google plus/gmail) it won't let you type in said box at all? One canary release fixed it, and the next broke it again.

No idea why it happens.

Edit: In beta build it happens on the Google+ page chat but not using chat on gmail.com, but I cannot resize chat windows on gmail.com and can on google+...

D4Danger said:
I changed mine to the ninja

it's the least distracting

They're all much better than before. Do you know what that brown thing is suppose to be?

(Clarification: When I said I like the head better than the other profile pics, I was referring to the shitty clip art we were given a few weeks back, not the new set.)

Edit: It's a horse.

Top Bottom