• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

upJTboogie said:
Not sections of text but images don't load as fast for me as other browsers do.

And i get this is some sections of Gaf
POLlG.png

Kinda irks me.

Looks like the same problem, or something like it. I've found it on more pages then gaf though.

Andrex said:
That's because EviLore hasn't uploaded those images, or has the paths wrong. Nothing to do with Chrome.

Not sure about that. If the pages with problems works after reloading a couple of times or changing to FF/ie/Opera then Chrome sure looks guilty.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm maybe, I said that because I had something similar happen when I used a custom vBulletin skin. Bunch of images broke.

I personally don't see it.

Anyone having a problem with their back button not working? I click on it and it shows that the tab is trying to load something but it never actually does. I'm on OSX Lion if that makes a difference.

flsh

Banned
I have a weird bug on neogaf (only neogaf so far). I'm running 13 and at the bottom of thread pages, after the posts end and just below the ad, there is a huge, long white space. It's like the page has 500 posts, but when I finish reading the 10 posts on it it goes on forever until it reaches the bottom.

Anyone has any idea what causes it? I tried playing with some extensions but nothing works right now.

Jasoco

Banned
Well that's interesting. On OS X Lion (At least), in the latest Canary, the two-finger back/forward swipe works PERFECTLY, and it even has a neat animated arrow when you perform it, and it is just as integrated as Lion's actual gestures in that a partial gesture will not perform the command until you finish it completely, and if you decide to slide back the other way to cancel the gesture you can.

It's something you Lion users need to try for yourself. Canary just keeps getting better and better every fucking day!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone else experiencing a bug where sometimes when you middle-click (using the scroll wheel) a link, that link will open both in a new background tab (which is what I intended) and in the original tab (which I definitely didn't intend to happen)?

laika09

RoadHazard said:
Anyone else experiencing a bug where sometimes when you middle-click (using the scroll wheel) a link, that link will open both in a new background tab (which is what I intended) and in the original tab (which I definitely didn't intend to happen)?
Is it only on specific websites? Some sites will exhibit this behavior due to the way they're coded (target attributes in anchor tags). Not really a Chrome issue per se, just sloppy site design.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
laika09 said:
Is it only on specific websites? Some sites will exhibit this behavior due to the way they're coded (target attributes in anchor tags). Not really a Chrome issue per se, just sloppy site design.

How exactly would a target attribute make the browser follow the link in the original tab even though I'm telling it to just open it in a new background tab? I'm a reasonably experienced HTML coder (not a pro by any means though), and I fail to see how this could happen. Seems to me like HTML alone shouldn't be able to make this happen, while JavaScript probably could.

I guess it might just be on certain sites. But I'm pretty sure I've never seen this happen in Opera, while it happens frequently enough for me to get annoyed by it in Chrome. Maybe Opera makes sure this doesn't happen even on a poorly coded site, while Chrome doesn't?

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
Well that's interesting. On OS X Lion (At least), in the latest Canary, the two-finger back/forward swipe works PERFECTLY, and it even has a neat animated arrow when you perform it, and it is just as integrated as Lion's actual gestures in that a partial gesture will not perform the command until you finish it completely, and if you decide to slide back the other way to cancel the gesture you can.

It's something you Lion users need to try for yourself. Canary just keeps getting better and better every fucking day!
Sounds awesome, does this only work for history nav (back/forward) or can you use something similar for tab navigation? I currently use BTT to achieve 3 finger swipe for tab nav.

PS. Is there a video of the latest Chrome integration into Lion? It's wonderful that Google devs are putting all the effort into OS integration, really confident about the future of Chrome on my Mac.

Jasoco said:

Better than Safari 5.1 yet?

The Flash CPU use in Chrome is honestly the only thing keeping me from going Chrome full-time.

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Sounds awesome, does this only work for history nav (back/forward) or can you use something similar for tab navigation? I currently use BTT to achieve 3 finger swipe for tab nav.
That's what I do actually.
PS. Is there a video of the latest Chrome integration into Lion? It's wonderful that Google devs are putting all the effort into OS integration, really confident about the future of Chrome on my Mac.
Just try it out. Canary is totally segregated from Chrome itself so there's no harm in trying it out because it gets its own settings and profile. But you can still sync your stuff between both to help you feel at home. Plus it's updated every day. No risk. No harm. Nothing to worry about. If you already have Lion of course.

All it needs now is the OS X dictionary and other standard text-box-based features like the special characters on key hold. (øöäåç...) As well as Safari's Download button instead of a toolbar. (Last nights Canary has a hidden setting for a new "downloads interface" but when I turned it on, nothing showed up and downloads did stop showing up in a bar. I was hoping it was a Safari button. There's another update waiting for me, so maybe there's still hope. When I choose to update after my pizza is delivered. (Domino's Delivery Tracker)

kehs

Banned
Either the Chrome team is about to release a tablet or they're about to finally release Chrome for android.

Everything is becoming so touch friendly, it's so awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:
Either the Chrome team is about to release a tablet or they're about to finally release Chrome for android.

Everything is becoming so touch friendly, it's so awesome.

Probably the former to tie into Chrome OS. I love it too. =)

Although everyone forgets Chrome is on Android... for Google TV. Which they haven't updated since Chrome 6. :(

Brettison said:
On a side note we need a new Chrome OS topic!

I always wanted to make it. :O

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
Probably the former to tie into Chrome OS. I love it too. =)

Although everyone forgets Chrome is on Android... for Google TV. Which they haven't updated since Chrome 6. :(

I always wanted to make it. :O

Google TV doesn't count, silly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh yes it does. And everyone will come crawling back when Honeycomb is released and you can run Android and Chrome apps and games on your big screen. >:|

But that update is practically vaporware now. :(

kehs

Banned
Andrex said:
Oh yes it does. And everyone will come crawling back when Honeycomb is released and you can run Android and Chrome apps and games on your big screen. >:|

But that update is practically vaporware now. :(

Maybe the revue will get updated to 3.0 and chrome 10 when they release ICS.

=P

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
At least then it'd be ahead of most phones and be able to install Web Store apps. Hopefully. They keep dodging that question (about Chrome apps) whenever they're asked. I hope they don't gut it. :/

Sean

Banned
Jasoco said:
All it needs now is the OS X dictionary and other standard text-box-based features like the special characters on key hold. (øöäåç...) As well as Safari's Download button instead of a toolbar.

I really hope they add that - I've never been a fan of the user interface for downloads in Chrome. The bookmarks manager could be spruced up a little too.

Luckyman

Banned
Adblocking is terrible in Chrome. Adblockplus can't block ads in videos and the it actually slows the site loadtimes quite often.

Flash/Silverlight CPU usage is pretty bad compared to competition

Luckyman said:
Adblocking is terrible in Chrome. Adblockplus can't block ads in videos and the it actually slows the site loadtimes quite often.

The Adblockplus guy has said that he is waiting for google to add the ability to block items loaded by plugins. Once that happens, he will update the plugin to block video ads.
Apparently the dev build has added that ability if you enable it so hopefully the plugin will be updated soon.

Jasoco

Banned
Switched back to Dev because current Canary has some weird game-breaking bug for now. While the Dev has the cool Fullscreen in Lion, it doesn't yet have the correct two-finger swipe the same way Canary does. Booo. Hope it comes soon.

benjipwns

Banned
I can see what they're doing and why, but that doesn't make me anymore pleased about how the recently closed and bookmark bar aren't shown on the new tab "most visited" page without needing a click anymore.

noah111

Still Alive
I wish I could code, I had an idea for a way to remove the url bar entirely, so all you would have is the left trafic lights, and ten tabs. The bar is just such a waste of space.

They could implement a way of typing the url INSIDE the tab itself, expanding that tab while typing within it. Ugh seems like such a good idea, I should go too google some time. Refresh could be gone, just press on the site icon in the tab to refresh, and a back button similar to the new tab button, but next to the traffic light buttons.

Sorry for the OT but it seems cool enough, reducing many pixels. Thought of it due to Lion fullscreen and how much I would actually use it. It's great, but i'm not sure about its functionality.

PS. How many people actually use the bookmark toolbar? Also, how many of you use the refresh button/back buttons vs keyboard/gesture shortcuts? Just wondering.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sentry said:
I wish I could code, I had an idea for a way to remove the url bar entirely, so all you would have is the left trafic lights, and ten tabs. The bar is just such a waste of space.

They could implement a way of typing the url INSIDE the tab itself, expanding that tab while typing within it. Ugh seems like such a good idea, I should go too google some time. Refresh could be gone, just press on the site icon in the tab to refresh, and a back button similar to the new tab button, but next to the traffic light buttons.

Sorry for the OT but it seems cool enough, reducing many pixels. Thought of it due to Lion fullscreen and how much I would actually use it. It's great, but i'm not sure about its functionality.

PS. How many people actually use the bookmark toolbar? Also, how many of you use the refresh button/back buttons vs keyboard/gesture shortcuts? Just wondering.

google-chrome-compact-navigation.png

They tried out something like that for a while but the Chrome UI team decided it wasn't a good fit.

D-Pad

Sentry said:

I use the bookmark bar more than my address bar. I use my mouse waaay more than I use my keyboard, unless I have to type something or am copy/pasting stuff, so... Yeah... Back, forward, refresh, bookmark bar, middle clicks, 15 tabs... 's how I roll.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there no Gmail notifier/checker extension for Chrome that connects to your Google account to deliver notifications even if you're not logged into your Google account in the browser (I don't allow Chrome stay logged into my accounts between sessions, for security reasons)? The one made by Google just shows a question mark until you click it and login to your account. By then I already know if there's any new mail, so it becomes kind of pointless. I want one that notifies me of new e-mails right away when I start Chrome. I can get this for Opera, but not for Google's own browser...?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RoadHazard said:
Is there no Gmail notifier/checker extension for Chrome that connects to your Google account to deliver notifications even if you're not logged into your Google account in the browser (I don't allow Chrome stay logged into my accounts between sessions, for security reasons)? The one made by Google just shows a question mark until you click it and login to your account. By then I already know if there's any new mail, so it becomes kind of pointless. I want one that notifies me of new e-mails right away when I start Chrome. I can get this for Opera, but not for Google's own browser...?

Probably not, doing what you're asking would mean giving the extension your credentials and even if an extension did it, I wouldn't trust it. You can't use OAuth client-side for extensions AFAIK because there would be no endpoint to redirect back to.

Echoplx

RoadHazard said:

This should do what you want, does for me at least

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gffjhibehnempbkeheiccaincokdjbfe

Shurs

I switched over to Chrome for the weekend. I had previously been using Firefox.

I like it a lot.

The only thing missing is the extension I used in Firefox to tinker with the order of my Netflix queue.

Chrome is now my default browser.

noah111

Still Alive
D-Pad said:
I use the bookmark bar more than my address bar. I use my mouse waaay more than I use my keyboard, unless I have to type something or am copy/pasting stuff, so... Yeah... Back, forward, refresh, bookmark bar, middle clicks, 15 tabs... 's how I roll.
Just out of curiosity, are you a Windows or OS X user? I feel like gestures is creating a huge divide in how we interact with our content, it's kinda scary for the future of UI.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Andrex said:
Probably not, doing what you're asking would mean giving the extension your credentials and even if an extension did it, I wouldn't trust it. You can't use OAuth client-side for extensions AFAIK because there would be no endpoint to redirect back to.

The two best Gmail notifier extensions for Opera use AuthSub and OAuth respectively (Google offers both). Both work great, and neither requires any login credentials. Why can this be done in Opera, but seemingly not in Chrome? It's a severe limitation to me, and makes extensions like these far less effective and useful.

3chopl0x said:

Nope, it has the same problem as the Google one - it can't check accounts and deliver notifications unless you're already logged into your Google account in the browser.

(If it always works for you, that must mean you're always logged into your Google account, even after restarting the browser.)

Utako

Banned
Why does the thread title say Chrome 13/14? 14 is still in Beta. If we're listing every milestone currently in use, it should say Chrome 13/14/15...

Tokubetsu

Ever since I went back down to stable I haven't looked back. No more waking up and having chrome acting all funny for a couple weeks.

noah111

Still Alive
Can anyone provide me with a direct download link to the Chrome version with integrated Lion support? (what Jasoco was talking about earlier, Canary iirc)

noah111

Still Alive
Thanks, the Canary link right? Also is it recommended to use this as my default browser or is it highly unstable? I don't want my computer to get fucked for it. :p

Top Bottom