• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ezekial45

Banned
I've been having a problem with the Angry Birds app. Every time i try to start up the game, it freezes on the Title Screen (with the art and logo). I tried reinstalling the app and clearing my cache, but it still freezes.

Is there anything else i can do to fix it?

The ninja sucks at stealth.

qnaQd.png

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Deadly Cyclone said:
Alright, anyone else have an issue with Canary where when you bring up a google chat box (in any page supporting g-chat like google plus/gmail) it won't let you type in said box at all? One canary release fixed it, and the next broke it again.

No idea why it happens.

Edit: In beta build it happens on the Google+ page chat but not using chat on gmail.com, but I cannot resize chat windows on gmail.com and can on google+...

For new page.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The ninja's, the awesome smiley, the better profile pics. Gusta.

edit: Why did they get rid of the hide toolbar feature?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
kaskade said:
Beta channel has lion fullscreen. YES!
I noticed this when I installed Chrome today on my MBA. Awesome. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with no Chrome Full Screen and thankfully, the option was there on day one for me :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plywood said:
The ninja's, the awesome smiley, the better profile pics. Gusta.

edit: Why did they get rid of the hide toolbar feature?

I wanted to know too. Here's the explanation:

Peter Beverloo said:
The experiment has ended for now, and the feature has been made inaccessible (unless you compile Chromium yourself). More information can be found in this issue. The UI team does not think it’s the direction in which Chrome’s UI should head.

It's a shame, it had a lot of potential. The only sticking point is they needed to get extension badges worked into it somehow. Still, I don't think this will be the last we see of it. As long as the IE team keeps cutting pixels Chrome will eventually start competing on that, too. Compact navigation might not return as what we know it as today but I doubt Chrome's UI will never get any slimmer.

Sean

Banned
Anyone know how to turn off the auto-complete URL history? When I type "you" it suggests youtube.com/blahblah which is annoying.

I went to Under The Hood > Privacy > and unchecked the "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar" but it's still auto-completing history stuff for me.

If there's not a way to stop it, can you at least delete certain URLs?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plywood said:
That's stupid, they could've still kept it in for those that liked it. :/
The Chrome UI team tends to favor consistency. I think this is so that people can hop between different computers that use Chrome but not feel alienated by any customizations. This is probably why Chrome hasn't, nor ever probably will, have the amount of UI customization of say Opera.

I don't necessary agree with this philosophy but I do appreciate the consistency when using other computers. Trying to get acquainted with different installations of IE and Firefox is usually a nightmare by comparison.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Andrex said:
The Chrome UI team tends to favor consistency. I think this is so that people can hop between different computers that use Chrome but not feel alienated by any customizations. This is probably why Chrome hasn't, nor ever probably will, have the amount of UI customization of say Opera.

I don't necessary agree with this philosophy but I do appreciate the consistency when using other computers. Trying to get acquainted with different installations of IE and Firefox is usually a nightmare by comparison.
Couldn't they just have some kind of sync feature where it saves all customization and crud and then you just log into your google account and get all said customization?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Plywood said:
Couldn't they just have some kind of sync feature where it saves all customization and crud and then you just log into your google account and get all said customization?

Yes but that doesn't cover all use cases, like videos of Chrome, or guest accounts on Chrome OS. Keeping a strong visual identity is important -- by contrast, Opera's skin and layout changes from version to version, and varies wildly from user to user. After having not used Opera in almost two years I would have a hard time telling Opera apart from other <1% browsers. Whereas I always know Chrome when I see it.

kehs

Banned
It was completely annoying and unintuitive. I'm rarely taken offguard by changes in design within a program, but the way they implemented it did not feel right at all with me.

Jzero

I keep getting an extremely annoying Sync error notification on Chrome Beta start up that i never had before this update -_-

Just moved over from Firefox, what are the essential extensions [other than the NEOGAF of course] for Chrome? Currently got:

Adblock Plus
ChromeToolbox
G+Me

Also looking for a Chrome alternative to echofon [twitter app], only half decent one I found so far is Silver Bird, any help would be grateful.

tabsina

grounded_dreams said:
Just moved over from Firefox, what are the essential extensions [other than the NEOGAF of course] for Chrome? Currently got:

Adblock Plus
ChromeToolbox
G+Me

Also looking for a Chrome alternative to echofon [twitter app], only half decent one I found so far is Silver Bird, any help would be grateful.

I haven't used echofon, so I don't know if that's better (or completely different) but I use tweetdeck for twitter

Jasoco

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Just use firefox with downthemall.
That's what I have to do. But I use DownloadHelper more in Firefox for downloading the FLV files from internet video sites. These two extensions can't work in Chrome because Chrome doesn't give access to the core of the site like Firefox does.

Sucks though because I'd rather not have to keep Firefox at the ready for when I need to download a Flash video, but it's not a big deal. On my MBP, FF loads in a second anyway so meh.

Ashhong

Anybody seem to have issues with the back button on Chrome and GAF? It just doesnt seem to work sometimes. Pretty annoying. I'm on 14 on OSX, and it doesnt work with gestures or using the actual button. And its only on GAF..

survivor

Banned
Ashhong said:
Anybody seem to have issues with the back button on Chrome and GAF? It just doesnt seem to work sometimes. Pretty annoying. I'm on 14 on OSX, and it doesnt work with gestures or using the actual button. And its only on GAF..
It wasn't working for me few hours ago. And not only on GAF but on reddit and other websites as well. However it's normal for me now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Utako said:
HN?

Anyway, I don't know why it does that. Are you sure your GPU is on the whitelist? Is is an old machine?

Hacker News

It's a Radeon X1550. Dunno if it's on the list or not.

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
I do. I'm on Canary 15.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
I do. I'm on Canary 15.

Restarted Chrome and it seems to work fine now. Apparently Full Screen mode made it down to 14 as well as the disappearing scroll bar. Although most of the time the scroll bar doesnt even show up when scrolling.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a Reader extension that mimics Safari's? Safari's looks stunning.

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Restarted Chrome and it seems to work fine now. Apparently Full Screen mode made it down to 14 as well as the disappearing scroll bar. Although most of the time the scroll bar doesnt even show up when scrolling.
When the Lion stuff becomes standard stable in the Himalayan Chrome channels I might switch back, but right now I'm enjoying Canary way too much.

Edit: Himalayan? Fuck, I don't even remember what word I meant. So whatever. Thanks, Android autocorrect.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
D4Danger said:
looks like they removed it. Not sure when that happened.

Worked pretty well for me, only issues I had were that when copying the URL it wouldn't copy the first time you'd hit ctrl+c.

The other issue I am getting in canary is google chat not allowing me to type in the text box on the google plus page. If I use the insert smiley and add a smiley in, i can then type until i go away from that tab, but then it won't let me again.

Very odd.

So trying to switch from Firefox to Chrome but having some annoying issues with page loading. Sometimes Chrome just fails to load certain elements of a page (pics, sections of text etc) which then loads on a page reload.

Did some quick search and found some people claiming it's a problem with all webkit browsers. Any truth to that? Seems like a pretty serious bug if it is one.

Jzero

jakershaker said:
So trying to switch from Firefox to Chrome but having some annoying issues with page loading. Sometimes Chrome just fails to load certain elements of a page (pics, sections of text etc) which then loads on a page reload.

Did some quick search and found some people claiming it's a problem with all webkit browsers. Any truth to that? Seems like a pretty serious bug if it is one.
Doesn't happen to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jakershaker said:

It used to be a problem but I haven't seen it myself, nor heard anyone talk about it, in quite a long time.

Andrex said:
It used to be a problem but I haven't seen it myself, nor heard anyone talk about it, in quite a long time.

That's strange. Only been running Chrome a couple of days and noticed it pretty fast. On a 100 mbit line and other programs and web-browsers don't have any problems afaik. Oh well, it's a small annoyance, hopefully it will go away. Not giving up on trying Chrome.

Hmm, so it looks like profiles now work properly. With multiple running at the same time and the bookmarks/history/downloads properly sand-boxed in each profile. That is nice. Now I just need password protection to be added for profiles.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When Chrome 15 goes beta, I'm going to remove the version number from the title, since... well, frankly the version number doesn't matter. Everyone is updated to the latest version all the time, the version number reflects the current release regardless of its importance or lack thereof feature-wise. No one needs to be reminded to update. It just isn't a thing with Chrome.

I was just looking at the edit history and it's...
19:01, 13th Nov 2010 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 6 |OT| A New Coat of Paint') changed
20:12, 5th Dec 2010 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 6/7 |OT| A New Coat of Paint') changed
20:18, 7th Dec 2010 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 8 |OT|') changed
01:06, 25th Feb 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 8 |OT| Web app store launched!') changed
16:04, 23rd Mar 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 9/10 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed
22:08, 19th May 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 10/11 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed
16:49, 29th Jul 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 11/12 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed
17:34, 16th Aug 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 12/13 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed

... and, like, what's the point? :p

jakershaker said:

Not sections of text but images don't load as fast for me as other browsers do.

And i get this is some sections of Gaf
POLlG.png

Kinda irks me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stumpokapow said:
When Chrome 15 goes beta, I'm going to remove the version number from the title, since... well, frankly the version number doesn't matter. Everyone is updated to the latest version all the time, the version number reflects the current release regardless of its importance or lack thereof feature-wise. No one needs to be reminded to update. It just isn't a thing with Chrome.

I was just looking at the edit history and it's...
19:01, 13th Nov 2010 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 6 |OT| A New Coat of Paint') changed
20:12, 5th Dec 2010 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 6/7 |OT| A New Coat of Paint') changed
20:18, 7th Dec 2010 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 8 |OT|') changed
01:06, 25th Feb 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 8 |OT| Web app store launched!') changed
16:04, 23rd Mar 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 9/10 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed
22:08, 19th May 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 10/11 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed
16:49, 29th Jul 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 11/12 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed
17:34, 16th Aug 2011 Stumpokapow Thread title (original 'Google Chrome 12/13 |OT| New features every 6 weeks!') changed

... and, like, what's the point? :p

Much appreciated Stump!

I could make a new thread if you want.

upJTboogie said:
Not sections of text but images don't load as fast for me as other browsers do.

And i get this is some sections of Gaf
POLlG.png

Kinda irks me.

That's because EviLore hasn't uploaded those images, or has the paths wrong. Nothing to do with Chrome.

Top Bottom