• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sentry said:
Thanks, the Canary link right? Also is it recommended to use this as my default browser or is it highly unstable? I don't want my computer to get fucked for it. :p

Canary is a separate thing. Install Canary if you don't want to use the dev features/instability as your main browser. (Canary installs itself separately from a normal instance of Chrome, and won't allow you to set itself as your default browser.)

Jasoco

Banned
All right, back to Canary.

And yes, you can set it as default with Safari on OS X. Not sure about Windows.

Current Canary on Lion is amazing. Not sure if it has any benefit on Windows.

Not currently unstable. It's only a few days ahead of the current Dev in coding time.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm loving it as well. BTW what is that icon in the top right corner when you're in fullscreen do? The main new tab page needs some work, but I like where it's going.

I would love integrated three finger gestures to switch/create tabs, but I doubt we'd ever get that. Also iirc I saw a screen of you're fullscreen Canary and it was transparent, no?

Jasoco

Banned
The one that looks like curtains is "Presentation Mode". In other words, it is the "old" style Fullscreen mode where it removes the toolbars and tabs. Lion Fullscreen shows this stuff like it should, (And like Safari does it) while Presentation mode gives you the old style fullscreen view back if you're one of those people who wants just the webpage visible. It seems to be broken for me in the current Canary though. But who cares, I don't use it. I wish I could get rid of the button and use the space for more tab space.

Me, I like having my tabs and toolbar visible while also taking up the entire screen.

Echoplx

Jasoco said:
The one that looks like curtains is "Presentation Mode". In other words, it is the "old" style Fullscreen mode where it removes the toolbars and tabs. Lion Fullscreen shows this stuff like it should, (And like Safari does it) while Presentation mode gives you the old style fullscreen view back if you're one of those people who wants just the webpage visible. It seems to be broken for me in the current Canary though. But who cares, I don't use it. I wish I could get rid of the button and use the space for more tab space.

Me, I like having my tabs and toolbar visible while also taking up the entire screen.

You sound like the kind of guy that would enjoy Windows :p

Jasoco

Banned
3chopl0x said:
You sound like the kind of guy that would enjoy Windows :p
Jesus Christ, not this again. It's not the fucking same. I'm tired of this stupid-ass argument from Windows users that don't actually understand how Lion's Fullscreen actually works. Seriously.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the only way to drive my point across.

noah111

Still Alive
:LOL To those who don't realize what the fullscreen feature is, go read a Lion brochure or something. Does Windows have any way to do anything similar to spaces on OS X? I can't imagine without it.

Also, that button seems to be broken for me too.

Jasoco said:
Jesus Christ, not this again. It's not the fucking same. I'm tired of this stupid-ass argument from Windows users that don't actually understand how Lion's Fullscreen actually works. Seriously.

Like this?
icxA9sggX.png

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:

It's called maximize not full screen. =P

Sentry said:
:LOL To those who don't realize what the fullscreen feature is, go read a Lion brochure or something. Does Windows have any way to do anything similar to spaces on OS X? I can't imagine without it.

Also, that button seems to be broken for me too.

They're called virtual desktops, and they are the most useless things when you have a proper task bar.

Echoplx

Jasoco said:

:lol calm down man

Jasoco

Banned
There is a difference between Maximize, Windows Fullscreen and Lion Fullscreen. A big difference. They don't even act the same way. And no, there will be no calm enhancing because I am tired of every time I talk about how awesome Lion fullscreen is, some Windows person say "You'd LOVE Windows LOLOLOL!!!" What does that even mean? Why? Because I can maximize a window and lose everything that Lion does right? Don't make fun of a feature until you've tried it.

I have to sound harsh because it's impossible to punch someone in the face over the internet, so this is the next best thing. :p <-- Look, I can use this smiley too!!!!

noah111

Still Alive
Copernicus said:
It's called maximize not full screen. =P
You're joking now, right? Because I honestly can't tell. Do you still not get that it is a new feature integrated within the multi-space mission control, called Full Screen. It's not maximize.

I could max my window in Leopard and remove the toolbar and dock, but the problem is it's not dedicated, shit can pop-up, things can be behind it on the desktop, etc etc.

A 'proper' taskbar is pointless when you;re working on multiple things all raping the screen space. Do I constantly minimize, expand, minimize, move this window in front of that, etc?

I've been there and done that, so it's not exactly like you're speaking to a lifetime Mac user about Windows... W99 to 7, made the transition in 09 and haven't looked back. I know both very well.

kehs

Banned
It's virtual desktops integrated into the OS dudes, it's nothing new.

You guys can say it until you're blue in the face but "Lion Full screen" is Windows Maximized with the taskbar on auto hide.

Copernicus said:

You guys can say it until you're blue in the face but "Lion Full screen" is Windows Maximized with the taskbar on auto hide.

The way it's integrated into the OS is pretty unique though, especially with it's gesture support.

AlexMogil

My scroll bar keeps disappearing in OSX Lion. It gets replaced with a large grey stripe down the entire right hand side, so that if there *was* a scroll bar, it's invisible. Using 15.0.854.0. Anyone else?

AlexMogil said:
My scroll bar keeps disappearing in OSX Lion. It gets replaced with a large grey stripe down the entire right hand side, so that if there *was* a scroll bar, it's invisible. Using 15.0.854.0. Anyone else?

It's not meant to have a scroll bar in Lion unless you are actively scrolling through the page or if you click in the scroll bar area, just like iOS.

AlexMogil

LyleLanley said:
It's not meant to have a scroll bar in Lion unless you are actively scrolling through the page or if you click in the scroll bar area, just like iOS.

But as I am scrolling there is a large grey bar that does not show a small scrolling bar. I know how Lion scrolling works. It isn't constant, sometimes a big grey bar just magically appears through the height of the browser window.

AlexMogil said:
Yeah, mine is gone, too. Also, the elastic tabs don't resize to the correct length after I close one. They come out too short by a few pixels.

It's been like this for about a week or so (dev. version) so I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet.

Jasoco

Banned
LyleLanley said:
Two finger swipe to go back has been working every now and then for me.
It works perfectly for me in Canary with the animated arrow icon that appears to signify that you are performing a history navigation action.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Jasoco said:
It works perfectly for me in Canary with the animated arrow icon that appears to signify that you are performing a history navigation action.
using safari once in a while and damn it makes chrome`s back/forth navigation look like the 90`s are back.

SUPREME1

Banned
Jasoco said:
There is a difference between Maximize, Windows Fullscreen and Lion Fullscreen. A big difference. They don't even act the same way. And no, there will be no calm enhancing because I am tired of every time I talk about how awesome Lion fullscreen is, some Windows person say "You'd LOVE Windows LOLOLOL!!!" What does that even mean? Why? Because I can maximize a window and lose everything that Lion does right? Don't make fun of a feature until you've tried it.

I have to sound harsh because it's impossible to punch someone in the face over the internet, so this is the next best thing. :p <-- Look, I can use this smiley too!!!!

You sound like you need more fiber in your diet.

Lion Full Screen... srs biznezz.

Jasoco

Banned
sankt-Antonio said:
using safari once in a while and damn it makes chrome`s back/forth navigation look like the 90`s are back.
The arrow that appears in Chrome isn't that bad. It's enough visual feedback to let you know you're paging and not scrolling.
SUPREME1 said:
You sound like you need more fiber in your diet.
I do, actually.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Jasoco said:
The arrow that appears in Chrome isn't that bad. It's enough visual feedback to let you know you're paging and not scrolling.

but the safari thing is actually usefull.
you can look at two pages at the same time. i use this feature so damn much that i really miss it when using chrome. I hope they implement/copy it.

noah111

Still Alive
Copernicus said:

No, it is not. I'm using it right now for Chrome and I can tell you it truly feels like something different.

You know what it feels like? Like I am running Chrome OS and nothing else on this laptop.. until I decide to swipe the screen to the left or right and reveal my desktops.

sankt-Antonio said:
but the safari thing is actually usefull.
you can look at two pages at the same time. i use this feature so damn much that i really miss it when using chrome. I hope they implement/copy it.
Wow, can you believe I didn't even know this? That IS much better than Chrome, wow. I'll still use Canary but that has me second guessing, it's a really nice 'peek' feature similar to spaces.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SonnyBoy said:
Does G+ display improperly in Chrome for anyone else?

In the toolbar, my pic goes next to the gear/settings icon instead of my name, but that's it.

SonnyBoy

It's weird, everything that should be in the center of the page isn't there. The body/content of G+ is underneath of my friends list. It displays fine in Firefox.

Started using Chrome this week. Got tired for Firefox freezing and taking up huge amounts of memory.

Seems pretty fast so far, but I have one issue with it. The scroll speed when you use the middle mouse button is too slow compared to Firefox. Is there anyway to increase it?

I tried installing the SmoothScroll extension but that didn't work.

kehs

Banned
Sentry said:
No, it is not. I'm using it right now for Chrome and I can tell you it truly feels like something different.

You know what it feels like? Like I am running Chrome OS and nothing else on this laptop.. until I decide to swipe the screen to the left or right and reveal my desktops.

So...like chrome maximized with the task bar hidden?

Jasoco

Banned
Copernicus said:
So...like chrome maximized with the task bar hidden?
No, because you can still get back to other apps with a swipe and not have to unhide the task bar and minimize the app just to do so. Lion fullscreen is virtual desktops on acid.

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
No, because you can still get back to other apps with a swipe and not have to unhide the task bar and minimize the app just to do so. Lion fullscreen is virtual desktops on acid.

Alt + Tab or... just move the cursor to the side of the screen. Unhiding the taskbar isn't some arduous maneuver. Move the over over...click. I'm curious what the sorting order is for the swipe gestures, just order of being used, order of being opened, ...?

I had no idea which version I was on. Just looked, and I guess I'm up to 14. Never been more stable.

I love this browser. Using internet explorer or even firefox is like pulling teeth.

Jasoco

Banned
Can we stop arguing about Lion Fullscreen for the love of Pete? It's the stupidest argument ever. You either like Lion's fullscreen mode, or you don't understand it. Just get over it, people. This is about Chrome, a browser which just happens to support a feature exclusive to a certain OS. It's like if I complained about how silly being able to see all my tabs in a browser in Windows 7 by hovering over the taskbar button and saying "So it's just like being on OS X and hitting Control+Command+T? It isn't some arduous maneuver!!" They both have their own ways to manage windows. Who cares if one is totally different than the other? Which is better depends on the person.

Also, to answer your question. It can be either one or the other. There's an option. But that's for the Lion thread. This is the Chrome thread.

Borman

Is there a way to disable the stupid back/forward gesture in OSX for Chrome? I use two fingers to move around the page on my air, and stupid chrome thinks I want to go back.

Jasoco

Banned
No because it's not stupid. It only activates if you are moving left or right and only if you're scrolled over as far as it can go first. In Canary, you get an arrow to tell you when it's happening. What are you using?

Borman

I don't want it. I am using a Chrome dev build. I dont carefully scroll to make sure I dont hit back. Sometimes, Im just skimming a page real quick, and then there it goes, back. An arrow comes up on here with the latest dev build, but its still not fun, I dont need the gesture.

Stealth edit : just tested, and it really only needs a small movement to set it off.

neoanarch

MatthewB92 said:
Like this?
http://i.min.us/icxA9sggX.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I've notice a few people with favicons for bookmarks. Are you removing the bookmark name or is that an actual port of the smart bookmarks bar/roomy bookmarks firefox extension?

Jasoco said:
Can we stop arguing about Lion Fullscreen for the love of Pete? It's the stupidest argument ever. You either like Lion's fullscreen mode, or you don't understand it. Just get over it, people. This is about Chrome, a browser which just happens to support a feature exclusive to a certain OS. It's like if I complained about how silly being able to see all my tabs in a browser in Windows 7 by hovering over the taskbar button and saying "So it's just like being on OS X and hitting Control+Command+T? It isn't some arduous maneuver!!" They both have their own ways to manage windows. Who cares if one is totally different than the other? Which is better depends on the person.

Also, to answer your question. It can be either one or the other. There's an option. But that's for the Lion thread. This is the Chrome thread.
lol wow

kehs

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Seriously.. stop, because you have no idea what you are talking about.

It seems that way, apparently, because I've looked into it more since this thread, and the conclusion I keep coming to is....well, autohide taskbar + maximize mode in windows.

Maybe I need to experience the magic first hand, I don't know.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The gestures do make it a fundamentally different experience though. Its true, fullscreen chrome+alt-tab is basically the same thing. But Apple's nice animation system and gesture support make it feel a helluva lot better.

Or so I assume, at least. I haven't upgraded to Lion yet.

Jasoco said:
You either like Lion's fullscreen mode, or you don't understand it.

or you don't like it.

(I've personally never tried it and don't care about it but you are dictating to people that they can't possibly dislike something... it's bizarre)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Jtwo said:
The gestures do make it a fundamentally different experience though. Its true, fullscreen chrome+alt-tab is basically the same thing. But Apple's nice animation system and gesture support make it feel a helluva lot better.

Or so I assume, at least. I haven't upgraded to Lion yet.

It's not just the gestures, but the integrations with Mission Control and the spaces.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lion full screen is awesome. It seems like it shouldn't be different but it is.

Chrome doesn't have that same magic.

Top Bottom