• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Zeppu

Being zoomed in drastically affects my scrolling smoothness.

Try going to cracked.com and zooming in (I read it 150%). Trying to scroll quickly there stutters a lot. Much worse on FF though.

I think Google changed some fonts around, or am I imaging that? Is it just on their Google services or also other fonts? I keep wanting to zoom in on GAF because the text somehow looks thinner now than before. Might be imagining it I guess.

kehs

Banned
I think Google changed some fonts around, or am I imaging that? Is it just on their Google services or also other fonts? I keep wanting to zoom in on GAF because the text somehow looks thinner now than before. Might be imagining it I guess.

No, I definitely see it too on android chrome, pretty annoying.

FLEABttn

Banned
Firefox doesn't have very smooth scrolling IMO by default. It's default scroll speed is painfully slow as well.

Maybe it's somewhat computer specific, but default FF handles that thread linked better than Chrome does for me. Not extremely better, but noticeably better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I want to put an iOS icon in the OP next to the others that links to a page that just has "LOL" in big, bold letters.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm not entirely sure why you'd want chrome for iOS anyway given that mobile safari is better than chrome for android

i guess 'choice' or whatever

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why?

Google gets the majority of their mobile traffic from iOS, it would make sense that they'd want to bring Chrome to it.

Apple and iOS users made their bed, now they have to lie in it. Chrome just isn't possible on iOS as it is today. I'd say just wait until Apple relaxes their restrictions, but looking at what they're turning OS X into I doubt that's ever going to happen.

i'm not entirely sure why you'd want chrome for iOS anyway given that mobile safari is better than chrome for android

8.5/10

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
yeah fair point though, i 'made my bed' and now i just have to put up with the best smartphone web browser ;_;

i do use chrome on desktop but they're very different beasts

I like the tab management and synchronization with desktop Chrome.

Apple and iOS users made their bed, now they have to lie in it. Chrome just isn't possible on iOS as it is today. I'd say just wait until Apple relaxes their restrictions, but looking at what they're turning OS X into I doubt that's ever going to happen.
It'd be entirely possible for them to bring the Chrome UI and all the other extras with a Safari reskin; Google Search for iPad is already fairly Chrome-like.

And your statement regarding OS X is just inane; as a matter of fact if Apple did allow something such as Gatekeeper for iOS it'd be fantastic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It'd be entirely possible for them to bring the Chrome UI and all the other extras with a Safari reskin; Google Search for iPad is already fairly Chrome-like.

That still wouldn't be Chrome, though.

And your statement regarding OS X is just inane; as a matter of fact if Apple did allow something such as Gatekeeper for iOS it'd be fantastic.

It'd be great for iOS users since most of them don't care about software freedom anyways, but for me I find it revolting.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
sync is one of those things where in theory i always think it's really cool but in practice i virtually never use it

chrome on my mbp and imac sync and i don't think i've ever turned one or the other on and been like 'wow, all my tabs are back!'

and i barely use bookmarks, tho that's more to do with me being dumb

That still wouldn't be Chrome, though.
It'd be fine enough for me, and I imagine Google.

It'd be great for iOS users since most of them don't care about software freedom anyways, but for me I find it revolting.
Are you kidding? Gatekeeper for iOS would allow much more freedom for software than what's currently capable on iOS; and you're mistaken if you think Gatekeeper for OS X in any way limits software freedom, all it does is improve security for users who don't know their shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It'd be fine enough for me, and I imagine Google.

No it wouldn't. Google will never ship Chrome without V8. Period. It's a core feature of Chrome that they spent over two years in Denmark building.

Besides that, the Web Store would be impossible since you can't put alternative app stores on the iOS App Store, and that's also a big part of Chrome now. Not to mention all the other things they can't do, like NaCl and Dart.

Are you kidding? Gatekeeper for iOS would allow much more freedom for software than what's currently capable on iOS; and you're mistaken if you think Gatekeeper for OS X in any way limits software freedom, all it does is improve security for users who don't know their shit.

That's all fine if you don't believe this to be a trend, but I believe it is. It's not hard to believe Apple will eventually disallow all unsigned applications. The writing has been on the wall for me ever since the Mac App Store. I knew that Apple-blessed-only applications were inevitable, what they announced today was only a stop gap.

No it wouldn't. Google will never ship Chrome without V8. Period. It's a core feature of Chrome that they spent over two years in Denmark building.

Besides that, the Web Store would be impossible since you can't put alternative app stores on the iOS App Store, and that's also a big part of Chrome now. Not to mention all the other things they can't do, like NaCl and Dart.
We'll see what happens, all I know is Google isn't just going to ignore the platform where they receive most of their mobile revenue from.

That's all fine if you don't believe this to be a trend, but I believe it is.
Good for you, until then your inane statements regarding the openness of OS X hold no basis in reality.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
do you really think it would be worth their time? i think almost everybody would stick with mobile safari.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
We'll see what happens, all I know is Google isn't just going to ignore the platform where they receive most of their mobile revenue from.

Why do they care? They don't make money from Chrome. They make money from search ads, and they're the default search engine in iOS. There's literally no reason for Google to jump through all the hoops required to even get a watered down Safari wannabe onto the platform.

Good for you, until then your inane statements regarding the openness of OS X hold no basis in reality.

Keep thinking that. OS X is just going to get more and more locked down like iOS, mark my words.

Why do they care? They don't make money from Chrome. They make money from search ads, and they're the default search engine in iOS. There's literally no reason for Google to jump through all the hoops required to even get a watered down Safari wannabe onto the platform.
I imagine for the same reason they make the Google Search app.

Keep thinking that. OS X is just going to get more and more locked down like iOS, mark my words.
You say that as if OS X has gotten locked down to any degree.

Here's a hint: it hasn't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I imagine for the same reason they make the Google Search app.

But that's search. It ties directly into their core revenue. Putting their browser on iOS doesn't. When you search from Safari, it would be the exact same as searching from Chrome.

You say that as if OS X has gotten locked down to any degree.

Here's a hint: it hasn't.

It's never been a paradise of openness but you're deluding yourself if you believe that the default of not running signed applications hurts software freedom.

Edit- Also, "Gatekeeper" has always been in iOS:

But that's search. It ties directly into their core revenue. Putting their browser on iOS doesn't. When you search from Safari, it would be the exact same as searching from Chrome.
Let's agree to disagree.

It's never been a paradise of openness but you're deluding yourself if you believe that the default of not running signed applications hurts software freedom.

Gatekeeper-options.png

The default of not running unsigned does nothing to hurt software freedom and everything to improve security, Apple has explicitly stated many times in the past they do not wish to limit software freedom whatsoever; were they ever to even remotely suggest removing that anywhere option there would be such a huge backlash it wouldn't even be funny.

I'd suggest reading this article regarding Gateekeeper if you are truly concerned (but considering you're a Windows user, I doubt it.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Don't really feel like making a topic, but google drive seems to be rearing it's head.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/google-drive-wild-screenshot-logo-favicon

dropbox am cry.

Man I was so psyched for this in 2007. Platypus!!

Should have released it then.

As it stands, I'm out of space on my Dropbox (out of 2.5 GB) but I still have over 20 GB available on my Google account. So Google Drive would be exceedingly welcome.

The default of not running unsigned does nothing to hurt software freedom, Apple has explicitly stated many times in the past they do not wish to limit software freedom whatsoever; were they ever to even remotely suggest removing that anywhere option there would be such a huge backlash it wouldn't even be funny.

It's a "they came for x, and I said nothing" situation. They'll just keep chipping away. Believe it. Why wouldn't they? It's why their users love them. They like being comforted by Apple's strong arms and being told everything will be OK. But I like making my own decisions.

I linked that article in my last post btw, the second one. It does nothing to alleviate any of my concerns, particularly towards the bottom.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Your entire argument here amounts to a conspiracy theory, I'm done.

It amounts to following a trend. A conspiracy theory would be saying I know someone inside Apple who say they're planning to do this. What I'm actually saying is that they're very likely to do it based on their previous actions.

Let's agree to disagree.

Disagreeing on fact? How would they gain any more revenue from putting Chrome on iOS? Please, tell me. They'd lose money for the development and the watered down version would harm the Chrome brand. It would do much more harm than good.

It amounts to following a trend. A conspiracy theory would be saying I know someone inside Apple who say they're planning to do this. What I'm actually saying is that they're very likely to do it based on their previous actions.
Gatekeeper IS the final installment of that trend, but whatever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gatekeeper IS the final installment of that trend, but whatever.

This is just like when OS X users told me when the Mac App Store launched that there was no way Apple would do developer certificates/signing. It would stay as non-locked down as traditional desktop OS's forever and ever but with an added lucrative revenue source for developers, and we'd all eat cotton candy and skip into the sunset to the brave new world of computing.

Yet here we are.

kehs

Banned
No, I think his claims that Apple will force all OS X apps to come from the Mac Store is a conspiracy.

Why? They've done it already with the iPhone and iOS. It wasn't originally meant to have apps at all, let alone an open system of putting indepent apps on the device. The strategy has rewarded them very handsomely, it's only natural for them to move in that direction for OSX.

This is just like when OS X users told me when the Mac App Store launched that there was no way Apple would do developer certificates/signing. It would stay as non-locked down as traditional desktop OS's forever and ever but with an added lucrative revenue source for developers, and we'd all eat cotton candy and skip into the sunset into the brave new world of computing.

Yet here we are.

Why? They've done it already with the iPhone and iOS. It wasn't originally meant to have apps at all, let alone an open system of putting indepent apps on the device. The strategy has rewarded them very handsomely, it's only natural for them to move in that direction for OSX.
This argument isn't going to go anywhere, you two enjoy living in your speculative reality; I'll continue living in actual reality.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
andrex, your argument is a bit like saying that because by default windows 7 wont let me connect to a WEP encrypted wireless, windows 8 wont let me connect to any wireless at all

This argument isn't going to go anywhere, you two enjoy living in your speculative reality; I'll continue living in actual reality.
it kind of blows my mind how upset people get that people use and enjoy apple products. c'est la vie.

gcubed

andrex, your argument is a bit like saying that because by default windows 7 wont let me connect to a WEP encrypted wireless, windows 8 wont let me connect to any wireless at all

it kind of blows my mind how upset people get that people use and enjoy apple products. c'est la vie.

That's a very poor attempt

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I actually wouldn't mind arguing that, but that's a hypothetical situation. Windows 8 ARM is slapping on the training wheels even faster than OS X is, though.

I don't get upset people use iOS or OS X. They're beautiful, functional operating systems. But they're not for me, and I do get upset when people tell me I'm wrong about Apple's intentions because they have more trust in the company. I have no such trust and yet I'm continually astounded the further depths they sink to -- I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I always hoped they'd do the right thing in the end.

Google missteps, and recently they misstep often, but in general I have confidence in the positions the company takes. <-- I'm trying to preclude ad hominem attacks here, I do know how they're popular when people argue over technology.

I actually agree with them that iOS is too locked down in regards to software, but that hasn't prevented iOS from garnering the best apps by far of any mobile platform so whatever I guess.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I actually wouldn't mind arguing that, but that's a hypothetical situation. Windows 8 ARM is slapping on the training wheels even faster than OS X is, though.

what's hypothetical about it? windows 7 wont let you connect to a WEP encrypted wireless network by default, you have to connect manually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
what's hypothetical about it? windows 7 wont let you connect to a WEP encrypted wireless network by default, you have to connect manually.

This is essentially what you just did:

Macbooks Suck*

ASTERISK: They intake air in order to cool the system.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This is essentially what you just did:

Macbooks Suck*

ASTERISK: They intake air in order to cool the system.

and os x also lets you run unsigned apps? i'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

i'm saying that by default windows wont let you connect to WEP networks: you have to override it by manually configuring the network

in the same way that os x 10.8 wont let you write unsigned apps unless you manually configure it to

is this not a fair equivalence? is there something i'm missing?

I'm also kinda of blows my mind when people think people are upset when having a rather innocuous conversation.
yeah this is a fair point, overreaction on my part, sore-ry

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
and os x also lets you run unsigned apps? i'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

i'm saying that by default windows wont let you connect to WEP networks: you have to override it by manually configuring the network

in the same way that os x 10.8 wont let you write unsigned apps unless you manually configure it to

is this not a fair equivalence? is there something i'm missing?

You deliberately misled by omission...

Besides that, it's not a good analogy. You're saying Windows 8 would cut out wireless entirely based on Windows 7 forcing you to setup WEP manually (not dropping it altogether, as you originally said) misread -- a better analogy would be that Windows 8 would drop support for WEP entirely, which isn't so far fetched.

But why are we dealing with square-peg/round-hole analogies? Here's a better analogy for you:

iOS (now) :: OS X (future)

clav

This man does not know what he's talking about.

You mean specifically Shared-type WEP, which barely anyone uses now since WEP is just weak, and this has been a "problem" since Vista. Default WEP works fine.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You deliberately misled by omission...

Besides that, it's not a good analogy. You're saying Windows 8 would cut out wireless entirely based on Windows 7 forcing you to setup WEP manually (not dropping it altogether, as you originally said) -- a better analogy would be that Windows 8 would drop support for WEP entirely, which isn't so far fetched.

But why are we dealing with square-peg/round-hole analogies? Here's an analogy for you:

iOS (now) :: OS X (future)

i didn't 'deliberately mislead by omission', unless you mean that in my original post i didn't say that you could manually configure it. that's kinda pedantic. and not deliberate, either, since i assumed you knew how W7 deals with WEP networks.

as for your analogy, well, i think it's pretty unlikely, and i'm not sure what i'd do if they did that. i guess we'll see.

This man does not know what he's talking about.

You mean specifically Shared-type WEP, which barely anyone uses now since WEP is just weak, and this has been a "problem" since Vista. Default WEP works fine.

eh, whatever. i had to dick around with W7 just this afternoon to get it to connect to my imac's shared internet connection. sorry for not knowing the specifics? in future i'll be sure to type 'windows 7 wont connect to a shared-type WEP by default'.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't get upset people use iOS or OS X. They're beautiful, functional operating systems. But they're not for me.

I'm not really sure why you think OSX would not be for you. You post a lot about the kinds of things you do with computers; I'm just a random person on a message board and I know you're into web development and web standards. I use every current OS system (I have a Windows 7 desktop, a Mac laptop, my work desktop dual-boots W7 and Ubuntu. I sysadmin Windows, Linux, OSX Server, and unfortunately AIX. I've got an iPhone 4S, a WP7 device, and an iPad.)

OSX is a great development environment. It's got an AMP stack installed by default. Outside of PHP, you've got plenty of other web scripting options. Apparently javac is no longer in the default software stack but when I just ran it on the terminal it requested it offered me a chance to download it. It performs well for development. Naturally if you're into Java, it's got Eclipse and it runs just as well as any other Java development environment. There are lots of options in terms of customizing basic UI functionality (you can easily replace the dock or use an alternate launcher method for example QuickSilver which is very similar in philosophy if not quite in execution to something like Unity). If you want to rip the guts out of the OS and poke and prod it, you're totally able to. Multiplatform stuff is pretty vibrant on OSX. And although they've bailed on the enterprise market, when Apple did make Enterprise stuff they did a fairly good job of it in the categories they competed in.

It's well respected and well used in the Silicon Valley dev world. Googlers use a lot of Macs, Facebook is almost exclusively Macs, and they're way over-represented in all of newest startups (Instapaper, Twitter, Instagram, FourSquare, Dropbox, plenty of others). I think if you spent more time with the OS, you'd find that many of the values you appreciate are present there.

I'm not trying to sell you on Apple's visual philosophy at all, but I also think that more time spent with their products gives you an appreciation for build quality and industrial design stuff. It's not clear to me what you would look for in an OS that you wouldn't find in OSX. That's not to say I'm recommending you switch, because you'd also find those things in Linux or Windows too, I just want to make clear that when you say "OSX is fine, but..." I'm not really sure what the but actually is.

Top Bottom