• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Nizz

Anyone else having issues with Chrome and watching Quicktime trailers for movies? I never had a problem before but since maybe January I'll go to a movie's web site, click to see a trailer but then get prompted to install a plug-in. But then Quicktime says everything is up to date.

OatmealMu

So along with the plus symbol on the "New Tab" button, Google also removed the ability to pin items on the "New Tab" page. Clearly this is the beginning of Googles' war on handy shit in Chrome. The button to open a new tab at least remains functional. On the other hand, pinning webpages is a no go (unless I missed something). Can I get this functionality back? Hell, is there a bitchin' extension to expand the "New Tab" page in sexy ways?

Sarcasm

So along with the plus symbol on the "New Tab" button, Google also removed the ability to pin items on the "New Tab" page. Clearly this is the beginning of Googles' war on handy shit in Chrome. The button to open a new tab at least remains functional. On the other hand, pinning webpages is a no go (unless I missed something). Can I get this functionality back? Hell, is there a bitchin' extension to expand the "New Tab" page in sexy ways?

When you say pin in a new tab you mean when you open a new tab you get some like speed dialer but only on a new tab thing?

Or pinning tabs at top so they become small?

Nabs

I've been using Speed Dial 2. I don't know if it's the best there is, but it is pretty decent.

OatmealMu

When you say pin in a new tab you mean when you open a new tab you get some like speed dialer but only on a new tab thing?

Or pinning tabs at top so they become small?

Clicking on the "New Tab" button opens up a page showing my most visited sites. Before a recent update, I could pin these links so they'd never disappear from the page. I use bookmarks proper for archival purposes and the "New Tab" page for sites I visit frequently. I'd rather not have Chrome manage these links for me, so the option is sorely missed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TVDFY.png

Well, at least Mozilla is upfront about who they're following.

Jasoco

Banned
I do like the look. And do wish Pinned Tabs in Chrome worked like App Tabs in Firefox. It's an abomination that they still don't. I should be able to pin a site to the tab bar and make it a permanent tab that I can click to view, close but still have the tab be there and click it again to reopen back to the original page. I wouldn't need my custom extensions anymore. And the downloads button is a copy of Safari which is what I wish Chrome would do. I don't really need the downloads bar. Just a progress bar in the toolbar. I wish Chrome would allow for wider extension buttons too.

iavi

Has anybody using chrome for android gotten it to open YT vids in the the YT app? It refuses to for me, instead opting to open them in a separate tab within the browser.

kehs

Banned
Hey andrex, chrome keeps telling me this after I moved back to stable channel from dev channel, how do I fix it?

MPZ0K.jpg

Jzero

Hey andrex, chrome keeps telling me this after I moved back to stable channel from dev channel, how do I fix it?

MPZ0K.jpg
Happened to me a couple months ago when i made the switch back to stable as well. You have to delete your chrome profile and sync again.

it should be in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome in Windows XP or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google Chrome

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jzero for the record I love your avatar. So much.

Except for the J which seems oddly out of place.

Jzero

Jzero for the record I love your avatar. So much.

Except for the J which seems oddly out of place.
Thanks. That's just for the first letter of your username february thing. I think i'll take it off though since i never went back to that thread.

Jasoco

Banned
Looks really good. Makes me sort of want to try FF again, but I see no reason to switch from chrome. I like it a ton more than the current FF stylings though.
Firefox as it is is nothing special. That screenshot is what they hope FF will look like by the end of the year. Like the old "Firefox 4" mockups that came out when FF was still at 2 and just going into 3, it'll probably take a long time to look like that, have all the features they want and even then some things will probably slip into next year.

I do have high hopes for the future of both browsers though as competition drives progress and as one browser borrows one feature the other borrows another. I really want the Safari-like downloads menu icon though. And for Pete's sake, better Application tabs! For crying out loud!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If Firefox becomes more like Chrome everyone wins, because then we'd have three (or four, counting Opera) major desktop browsers all at parity, with something like 62% marketshare. Will be awesome.

kehs

Banned
Happened to me a couple months ago when i made the switch back to stable as well. You have to delete your chrome profile and sync again.

it should be in %USERPROFILE%Local SettingsApplication DataGoogleChrome in Windows XP or %USERPROFILE%AppDataLocalGoogle Chrome

Cool, do I just nuke the whole folder then?

Also I just found out chrome on Android will close a tab if there's no more back history.

That might make the lack of quick controls OK.

Jzero

Also I just found out chrome on Android will close a tab if there's no more back history.

No just go into the user data folder ---> Default folder --> and delete web data

Kibbles

Just received an update to Chrome, fixed the flash player issue I was having with the green bar and red and blue crap. Yay.

Zeppu

Wasn't that already there in the stock browser? The only thing I'm really missing from the stock browser is hold back for history. I don't know why they removed it :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looks really good. Makes me sort of want to try FF again, but I see no reason to switch from chrome. I like it a ton more than the current FF stylings though.

Why I use Chrome:
- Onnibox lets me not have to worry about searching versus addresses, allows me to alias searches so I can quickly type "wiki Blueberries" and get the Wikipedia article. I think both of these are intelligent enough features that every browser either has or will copy it.

- Excellent management of automatic updates for extensions and for the browser itself. Firefox has moved towards the 6-week iteration and IE is getting faster, I'm sure both will eventually do everything Chrome does.

- No status bar / contextual status bar / thin top navigation. For the first time in my life I use a bookmarks bar, and it's because I'm actually able to since the (LOL) chrome at the top of the browser is thin enough. Both competing browsers seems to have stolen the thin top navigation, can't remember if either of them made the status bar contextual or not.

- Tab sandboxing / separate tab processes. I think both competing browsers have copied this, haven't they?

- Instant for URLs.

- Speed and rendering accuracy. I assume as time goes on different browsers will leapfrog each other.

So basically, even if you don't use Chrome, I think Chrome has had a profoundly good influence on browsers in general!

SPDIF

Why I use Chrome:
- Tab sandboxing / separate tab processes. I think both competing browsers have copied this, haven't they?

Well to be fair, hasn't IE had both of those features since IE7/IE8? Although they call it "protected mode" instead of sandboxing.

But as you say, as long as all browsers are improving it doesn't really matter.

Since when did Chrome for mac have the 3 finger double click -> in built dictionary?

Also why does the "Add to reading list" just open Safari? Is that not the most STUPID thing in history?

So my attempt to switch back to Firefox hasn't been as smooth as I hoped. It loads and scrolls through images much better than Chrome but there are a lot of things that bug me about it... more things than bug me in Chrome in fact.

So maybe there is a way to fix my only problem with Chrome.. so if I load a page with tons of images, (like for example the "funny picture" thread on GAF) after all the images are loaded, any type of scrolling down the page is extremely choppy.
The scrolling will stutter, stop dead for half a second and then start again etc.. I find it extremely annoying and Firefox doesnt do this. It doesn't matter if i use the down arrow key, scroll wheel or just drag the bar, it always does this.

Is there any way to fix this crap through extensions or anything? Thanks!

ScOULaris

So my attempt to switch back to Firefox hasn't been as smooth as I hoped. It loads and scrolls through images much better than Chrome but there are a lot of things that bug me about it... more things than bug me in Chrome in fact.

So maybe there is a way to fix my only problem with Chrome.. so if I load a page with tons of images, (like for example the "funny picture" thread on GAF) after all the images are loaded, any type of scrolling down the page is extremely choppy.
The scrolling will stutter, stop dead for half a second and then start again etc.. I find it extremely annoying and Firefox doesnt do this. It doesn't matter if i use the down arrow key, scroll wheel or just drag the bar, it always does this.

Out of curiosity, are you on the Stable, Beta, or Dev channel?

I've experienced this with some of the beta/dev builds, but the stable one always scrolls smoothly for me.

I've experienced this with some of the beta/dev builds, but the stable one always scrolls smoothly for me.

Could you try something for me if you have a second? Does this page on GAF not stutter at all for you?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460406&page=36

When I scroll on it by dragging the scroll bar down, it stutters and stops and chugs to the bottom.
I tested that exact page with Firefox and Internet Explorer and they both don't do it. It's so annoying to me.
I just wanted to see if the exact same page I'm looking at would do the same thing to you.

The other thing I notice is actual scroll bar lagging behind where I've scrolled to.

Thanks!

ScOULaris

Could you try something for me if you have a second? Does this page on GAF not stutter at all for you?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460406&page=36

When I scroll on it by dragging the scroll bar down, it stutters and stops and chugs to the bottom.
I tested that exact page with Firefox and Internet Explorer and they both don't do it. It's so annoying to me.
I just wanted to see if the exact same page I'm looking at would do the same thing to you.

The other thing I notice is actual scroll bar lagging behind where I've scrolled to.

Thanks!

I scrolled down the page with the arrow keys, scroll bar, and mouse wheel, and the page scrolled pretty smoothly for me. There was maybe the slightest of stutters here and there, but nothing that doesn't also occur in other browsers.

Have you tried enabling Smooth Scrolling in the about:flags section of Chrome?

FLEABttn

Banned

I'm experiencing this as well. I think it's something that people aren't noticing versus it simply not happening to them. I doubt there's a fix until Google does something about it.

Have you tried enabling Smooth Scrolling in the about:flags section of Chrome?

Yes I tried it but it didn't work. Thanks for trying the page though! It's crazy that I get absolutely zero stutters with IE and Firefox though!

I'm experiencing this as well. I think it's something that people aren't noticing versus it simply not happening to them. I doubt there's a fix until Google does something about it.

That is what I think as well. It just isn't noticible or doesn't bother most people. I was just searching around and there are a bunch of complaints about this problem on various forums and stuff so I think it's just how the browser is.

ScOULaris

No, trust me, I would notice. Chrome used to have stuttering during scrolling on heavy sites worse than any other browser in its early releases on my computers. Somewhere around version 9 or so the scrolling got much smoother for me.

I'm a stickler for these things as well. In Firefox I have my scrolling completely customized (independent step speed for mouse wheel and keys, smooth scrolling... etc.), and I always notice differences in scrolling between browsers.

Firefox doesn't have very smooth scrolling IMO by default. It's default scroll speed is painfully slow as well.

Firefox doesn't have very smooth scrolling IMO by default. It's default scroll speed is painfully slow as well.

Firefox is literally instant scrolling for me. I enabled smooth scrolling and nothing else. However, that did nothing on Chrome.
Oh well.
I guess for now I will just keep both browsers. I need Firefox also for the adblock element hider until Chrome gets that as well.

Top Bottom