• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Welp back to using Chrome since Firefox has been shitting out bricks left and right lately. Can't believe they're already on version 17 now.
KuGsj.gif

Welcome back. <3

Also, try Chrome on your Android phone! :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
yeah, yeah I know. What's funny too is I know Super-1-Click works with my phone but I just haven't had time to do it!
KuGsj.gif

Lol that's like me and hacking my Wii. I wanted to do it for years but I only finally did it because I was forced to if I wanted to transfer my saves. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Android version link added to the OP! Welcome to the family you little robot!

Also, replaced the bad Linux icon with a much better one that doesn't stick out so much:

->

Hard to believe that Chrome (stable) was Windows-only for almost two years, and now it's on four platforms!

I just switched back to Firefox for now. It just seems to work a lot smoother for pages and forums that are loaded with tons of images. Which is most of what I look at.
I'll keep Chrome installed though and see if it improves later on.

Anyone have an idea on how to make ctrl + F permanent? It's really annoying to have to open it again every time I change a page.

This was the other reason I switched back to Firefox.

Heel

The UI lag on FF is what kills it for me. That and it freezing a little too much for comfort.

This is why I finally jumped ship to Chrome today. A little late to the party but enough was enough.

The biggest hurdle for me going forward is not having a separate bar for search engines. The way you can assign a letter or keyword in front of a search term to use different search engines is slick, though!

Izick

If you hit f3 it will search the current page with your last query.

Thank you!

This is why I finally jumped ship to Chrome today. A little late to the party but enough was enough.

The biggest hurdle for me going forward is not having a separate bar for search engines. The way you can assign a letter or keyword in front of a search term to use different search engines is slick, though!

Here's a tip: Whenever you want to search something, like on say Google, Youtube, or even Neogaf, whenever you type in your first few letters, and it fills in the rest of the responses, like:

Ne------->neogaf.com (highlighted in blue)

Whenever the highlight site's URL comes up, just press the tab button, and then you can use the site's search engine from there, without actually going to the site first. Comes in handy a bunch of times for me.

ScOULaris

Here's a tip: Whenever you want to search something, like on say Google, Youtube, or even Neogaf, whenever you type in your first few letters, and it fills in the rest of the responses, like:

Whenever the highlight site's URL comes up, just press the tab button, and then you can use the site's search engine from there, without actually going to the site first. Comes in handy a bunch of times for me.

I'm always shocked by how few people know about this. I use it every day.

Example: Type "yo," press Tab, type "awesome video," press Enter. BAM! I get a list of awesome videos on YouTube! No need to set keywords either, like in other browsers.

Izick

I'm always shocked by how few people know about this. I use it every day.

Example: Type "yo," press Tab, type "awesome video," press Enter. BAM! I get a list of awesome videos on YouTube! No need to set keywords either, like in other browsers.

"Yo, awesome video."

Google Chrome: It's magic.

I totally agree though. It's nice to cut out the middle man all together, and get down to searching from the start. I haven't seen Wikipedia's home page in ages.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
(I don't currently have an Android device) Anyone have any impressions on Chrome for Android; does it allow extensions? How is the UI versus the built-in browser? How is performance versus the built-in browser? I assume rendering is pretty much the same since both are Webkit, but how's rendering versus the default browser? If Chrome for Android is well executed, it'd be a big jealousy factor for me hahaha.

Anyone have a weird rendering on the images with the new Chrome? it renders them replacing the unloaded parts with multiple copy of the already loaded parts/bunch of text above the image... it's really annoying...
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled it but i still have the same problem...

I have been having this problem on and off. Can't point to a specific version number, but I use Chrome on at least 4 computers and I think 2 or 3 of them are Beta channel, the others stable channel.

Heel

Nice. I've never really been the kind of guy who uses shortcuts beyond stuff like copy/paste/search. It's about time I expand on that.

Sorry if this has been covered, but is there an extension that can have embedded YouTube videos default to higher quality? Everything I've found so far only works on YouTube.com.

"YouTube Options for Google Chrome" and "Download YouTube Videos as MP4" has everything working perfectly there, though.

Izick

Nice. I've never really been the kind of guy who uses shortcuts beyond stuff like copy/paste/search. It's about time I expand on that.

Sorry if this has been covered, but is there an extension that can have embedded YouTube videos default to higher quality? Everything I've found so far only works on YouTube.com.

"YouTube Options for Google Chrome" and "Download YouTube Videos as MP4" has everything working perfectly there, though.

I remember there being a script for use in Greasemonkey called Youtube HQ. Not sure if that would work on embeds, but it's worth a shot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(I don't currently have an Android device) Anyone have any impressions on Chrome for Android; does it allow extensions?

Doesn't allow extensions or apps yet. It's still in beta, but will eventually have them. They're probably a UI problem to solve at this point.

How is the UI versus the built-in browser?

It's lighter and more Chrome-like, of course. In addition it has a very smooth card-like tab overview:

12pEUl.png

It also magnifies areas with a bunch of links to prevent mis-touches:

SyQr5.png

How is performance versus the built-in browser?

It uses V8 which the stock browser does not, so the JavaScript performance is much better.

Sunspider (lower is better):

Android stock browser (ICS) = 1919ms
Chrome for Android Beta = 1880ms

I assume rendering is pretty much the same since both are Webkit, but how's rendering versus the default browser?

HTML5Test results:

Android stock browser (ICS) = 256
Chrome for Android Beta = 343
Safari iOS5 = 305
Internet Explorer 9 for WP7.5 = 141

More about its standard support here and here (also remote debugging, etc.)

It also uses an algorithm to determine the optimal size for most fonts, so you don't have to pinch and zoom as much (important since Android 4.0 devices like the Galaxy Nexus have high DPI.)

If Chrome for Android is well executed, it'd be a big jealousy factor for me hahaha.

Oh it definitely is a killer feature for the platform now, no doubts about it. Bookmark/data/open tab syncing is, like... man.

BrORG.png

kehs

Banned
Just like opera and mouse gestures on the desktop, I can't move on from the stock browser/ics+ with the quick controls.

I also dislike the sticky url bar. I nevet see any unecessary chrome with quick controls. Tab finding is also much easier and faster.

It is crazy slick though otherwise.

OatmealMu

So the bookmark extension I use (Yet Another Google Bookmarks Extension) decided to suck. Instead of the old drop-down menu, it now replaces the new tab page. I'm not happy, since it took a while to find a bookmark extension that actually functioned properly. What do you people use?

MNC

Speaking of bookmarks, is there any way to export all of them/some of them so they're just hyperlinks on your computer, like a different browser usually does? They're all saved in this chrome format only chrome can read...

Jasoco

Banned
Speaking of bookmarks, is there any way to export all of them/some of them so they're just hyperlinks on your computer, like a different browser usually does? They're all saved in this chrome format only chrome can read...

Export them as an HTML file that is compatible with every browser because it uses the original Netscape/Mozilla formatting.

Bruiserk

Is there anyway to save your current browsing session? Let's say I have 2 youtube videos, 3 neogaf topics, and a news article open in seperate tabs. Let's say I need to close my browser to install something but don't want to lose that current "session" (as in every tab that is open). Is there a way to save that current session and have it open exactly like you left it?

Izick

Here's another reason I love Chrome:

I was typing up a long post here on Gaf, and suddenly my computer froze up and I had to do a hard restart. (The HDD is dying.
LLShC.gif
)

Anyways, to my joy, when I restarted Chrome and hit the "restore last session" button, all of my written out text was there, waiting to be finished.

Don't recall that convenience being in any other browser, and I'm sure it's not a problem that happens to people on a consistent basis, but it is really nice knowing that it's there.

Madtown_

Is there anyway to save your current browsing session? Let's say I have 2 youtube videos, 3 neogaf topics, and a news article open in seperate tabs. Let's say I need to close my browser to install something but don't want to lose that current "session" (as in every tab that is open). Is there a way to save that current session and have it open exactly like you left it?

Yes. It's the top option under 'Basics'.. "Reopen the pages that were open last"

LeleSocho

Banned
Ugh another problem... whenever i change resolutions on a Youtube video the speaker make a very loud TAC sound you know like when the speakers are fucked up :/
Goddamn, this last update of Chrome have only delivered problems, there is no way to return to a previous version right?

Kibbles

So is anyone else's flash player screwed up again? I got a green bar at the top and it has like a red and blue hue kind of like a 3d effect. It's only in Chrome flash videos... ugh

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What a weird Chrome omission.

I just found out Chrome has no option to automatically remove history after a certain period of time or on browser close (beyond Incognito mode). Weird.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I just found out Chrome has no option to automatically remove history after a certain period of time or on browser close (beyond Incognito mode). Weird.

I do hear complaining about it pop up every now and then.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

chrome://chrome/settings

"Clear cookies and other site and plug-in data when I close my browser"

is that not it?

kehs

Banned
chrome://chrome/settings

"Clear cookies and other site and plug-in data when I close my browser"

is that not it?

Most browsers have a setting to do it automatically afer 24 hours/1week/1month.

Google wants you keep your data forever though.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Downloaded it, spent some time on it. I'm sure I can get used to it, but I hate that I have to "learn" how to use a browser.

Is there a list somewhere with suggestions for extensions?

It did seem faster. And well I like faster.

Top Bottom