• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just a few days ago I had a fellow web dev OS X user say basically that entire post to me. You guys are like unpaid evangelists. (Specifically, for web development.)

It's nice that it's Unix and it can do things and Googlers and Facebookers use it. That still doesn't mean it's for me.

OS X is fine, but there are several core UI components I seriously dislike. I dislike the dock. I dislike the global menu bar. I dislike the direction it's taking, especially in regards to skeuomorphism. I dislike the culture that surrounds it. It just isn't for me, and telling my friend that, he got more and more steamed. He couldn't fathom why I'd use Linux, or heaven forbid, Windows for development. But that's just how I role. I am the 1%.

I think different.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Indeed, a better question might be why I don't use Chrome OS despite my high regard for it.

Hrm, that's a tougher one to answer. I might just have the opportunity soon, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speaking of which, what's the latest news on it? Anything worthwhile that might make it worth to switch back.

Not really, it's been a while since the last price drop on the Samsung Chromebooks so there might be another soon, but other than that I think it's just been trucking along with normal Chrome. I'd expect some big things at I/O.

What can't I do with Chrome on a PC that I can do on Chrome OS?

Get malware and viruses.

Have a computer that gets better/faster over time instead of the opposite.

Not have to worry about updating any software whatsoever.

Untangle yourself from local data.

kehs

Banned
Sucks to hear that I think my cr is going win 8 then.

On the android side of things I can't believe the url bar sticks...what the hell.

Somnid

Get malware and viruses.

Have a computer that gets better/faster over time instead of the opposite.

Not have to worry about updating any software whatsoever.

Untangle yourself from local data.

Not true.

PCs get slow because of bloat software. Chrome OS gets slower because of bloated extensions, Flash, and Chrome Apps. My CR-48 has slowed quite a bit since and unlike wiping a PC all that stuff you collected stays until you manually clean it up. They've also added quite a bit of icons to the new tab page since.

Chrome OS also gets updates every couple of days it seems. It requires a lot of rebooting if you truly want to be up-to-date. That process is also comparable to booting Win 7 on an SSD and slower than Windows 8. Mostly due to the 15 second to 1 minute it requires to reconnect to the network.

Really what it offers is simplicity and an alternate take on an OS and Apps. It's more of a thought experiment than a consumer ready system.

giga

Andrex Andrex Andrex!

From the MacRumors Forum:
"There's webm support in Safari 5.2, too (!)"
Lol nope. He probably has Perian installed.

KWDli.png

Threi

notag
New start page removed almost all control over what websites you get at the startup...

Speed Dial 1 is buggy as all hell

Speed Dial 2 makes the browser perform as fast as molasses

...i'm not liking this google, not one bit.

ScOULaris

New start page removed almost all control over what websites you get at the startup...

I really don't understand the removal of the ability to pin sites on the start page. Just like the + on the new tab button, I see no reason why they should have gotten rid of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

RAGE over third party extensions that google has nothing to do with

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why is there no label under the second "tab" on the New Tab page?

b3K60.png

Looks stupid. Or is there supposed to be, but it's missing from my Chrome for some reason (it has been this way for me since the new New Tab page was introduced)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why is there no label under the second "tab" on the New Tab page?

b3K60.png

Looks stupid. Or is there supposed to be, but it's missing from my Chrome for some reason (it has been this way for me since the new New Tab page was introduced)?

Double click it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Double click it.

Ooooh... But what's the point of being able to give it a custom name? It's not like you can use that page for anything other than bookmarks/"apps", right...? Can you add more such pages (in which case custom names would be useful)? If so, I haven't figured out how.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can add more pages by dragging an app icon to the bar. Basically folders for apps. I have three: Apps, Games, and Music.

Ashhong

Updated my Chrome and really don't like what they did to the scrollbar on the side on OSX at least. I maximize my window and I can no longer throw my cursor to the edge of the screen, click, and have the scrollbar go to where I click. I have to first initialize it by scrolling with the trackpad, causing the bar to show. Only then can I click to scroll. Is this a setting somewhere?

Also, goddamn that big black arrow that shows when I use the built in 2 finger scroll is ugly as hell. I'm going back to 3 finger scroll using BetterTouchTool.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ugh. What a noob he is. What a noob I am for believing him.

I should have known Apple would never cave to common sense and decency.

Honestly it's more likely IE gets WebM than anything, Microsoft's engaged Google and the WebM community several times over their issues (many of which are resolved now.)

Jasoco

Banned

Misdirected anger is hilarious, but I hated Speed Dial's slowness so much that I made my own New Tab page.

ibudZqea0qggdH.PNG

Threi

notag
my "anger" (which is actually mild frustration) is directed towards google for their removal of features in the new tab page, not for speed dial extensions by third parties being subpar. I thought it was pretty fucking obvious too.

christ.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well what do you want? It's always been and always will be just Chrome.

I want Jolicloud with a chrome OS like package. I mean I get why and what it is. It's fine. I use my CR-48 ALL THE FRICK'N TIME. It's eternally in my backpack with my headphones, microfiber cloth, pill case etc... and I use it all the time. Hell I made my last Ubuntu thread almost exclusively on it.

Problem is there are just times where I want to work with local data on that thing. In this respect I if you ask what do I want it to be... well I sort of want it to be Jolicloud. I just want certain "apps" persay to do certain things. Maybe this is why Android 5.0 is rumored to be merging with Chrome OS as the "webtop". I swear if I just had say like MPlayer/VLC, Paint.net/GIMP, Spotify, Steam App, TS/Mangler/Mumble and one or two other small things I'd be totally fine.

It's like 80% there for me now. Problem is moving towards something like Joli opens it up for a ton of other things that they were trying to get away from with Chrome OS. Your life wouldn't to sort of paraphrase "always be living in the cloud".

PS: This is obviously beyond the just better hardware. Problem is I really like the CR-48 look and feel. I want that exact look and feel just with a higher resolution screen + an ivy bridge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe this is why Android 5.0 is rumored to be merging with Chrome OS as the "webtop".

Never going to happen.

I swear if I just had say like MPlayer/VLC, Paint.net/GIMP, Spotify, Steam App, TS/Mangler/Mumble and one or two other small things I'd be totally fine.

It's like 80% there for me now. Problem is moving towards something like Joli opens it up for a ton of other things that they were trying to get away from with Chrome OS. Your life wouldn't to sort of paraphrase "always be living in the cloud".

That's against what Chrome OS is. It can't allow native applications. It can't, fundamentally.

It's more likely NaCl will enable more powerful Chrome OS apps, but I get the feeling NaCl's prospects are dubious at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with Chrome OS as for why you can't run the applications you want, it's up to the app authors to make them available online. Cloud9, for instance, is great and is easily good enough for mobile coding. I too am waiting for the equivalent of Gimp.

Google seems to still be playing around with fonts (at least with the font of the black bar). It seemed to have reverted back to the old one, but now I notice it's something in between the old one and the one from yesterday (which was very thick and spaced close together making it look very odd). Still prefer the regular one, this looks meh.

Quick

Banned
I'm looking to tweak an extension I downloaded, and I'm a bit lost. I already have the manifest.json file opened up, and I have no idea where to start.

I'm specifically talking about the "View Image" extension. I want to add the option to view the image on a new tab, rather than having it open on the current one.

Am I making this more difficult than it should be?

Don't worry, I copied the extension's folder in case I screw up.

rekameohs

Banned
I'm looking to tweak an extension I downloaded, and I'm a bit lost. I already have the manifest.json file opened up, and I have no idea where to start.

I'm specifically talking about the "View Image" extension. I want to add the option to view the image on a new tab, rather than having it open on the current one.

Just use this instead.

Quick

Banned
Just use this instead.

Nice. I was missing this feature from Firefox.

On another note, I'm blind. Didn't even notice the "Open image in new tab" menu item, which is what I was aiming for.

Though, after reading all the tutorials on Chrome extensions, I'm interested in making one now.

Zeppu

Wait, I know you got the other extension, but, you wanted to tweak an extension to get the option to view the image in a new tab when there's that option right above it?

Nice. I was missing this feature from Firefox.

On another note, I'm blind. Didn't even notice the "Open image in new tab" menu item, which is what I was aiming for.

Though, after reading all the tutorials on Chrome extensions, I'm interested in making one now.

Oh..haha I'm blind too, didn't see your response.

As for extensions, go for it, they're really easy to make.

RotBot

I tried Chrome for a few months, but the address bar drove me back to Firefox. Firefox brings up my most visited pages when I start typing based on url and page title. So I can type "u" and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/usercp.php shows up first.

Chrome just does a really bad job of this with its "omnibox". Pages I visit 5 times a day still end up below pages I've visited twice ever. And you can't just hit delete (or shift+delete) over a suggestion to prevent it from showing up again. There are also google search suggestions that I never want cluttering up the list. I've tried with both prediction service on and off, and both still give me results I don't want. I also can't Ctrl+Enter to add www. and .com because the inline autocomplete that can't be turned off overrides it.

I need help. I am in Chrome 17, the latest stable, and page pre-rendering does not work. Typing a website into the omnibar will not pre-render it. Searching on Google in the omnibar works, but nothing else. I don't know how to get it back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I need help. I am in Chrome 17, the latest stable, and page pre-rendering does not work. Typing a website into the omnibar will not pre-render it. Searching on Google in the omnibar works, but nothing else. I don't know how to get it back.

Do you mean Instant? That's different from pre-rendering.

Top Bottom