• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
Has the "New Downloads UI" that's been mentioned in about:flags been implemented yet? The option's been there forever but nothing has ever come of it. I keep hoping that it'll be a copy of the way Safari does it with a small button in the toolbar that appears with a progress bar and a pop-down list of files when something is downloading instead of the downloads bar that I always have to manually dismiss. (I hate that. It should disappear on its own when there have been no files downloading after 5 minutes.)

Izick

just found out the US state department are upgrading to Chrome

bonus video of Hillary Clinton trolling IE included in the link (I'm not making this up by the way)

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/StateDepartmentTo

(skip to 35:00)

In before "now Google's stealing the government's data?".

I think that it's great thay they're keeping up with the times and abandoning that archaic shit in favor of the loveliness that is Chrome.

So, in my latest update, my history was completely gone. Chrome won't autocomplete when I'm typing in address anymore, either. Like, normal to get to Gaf, I would just type in "n" and hit enter. Now, I type in "n" and it appears in the suggestions drop down, but I have to select it. Also can't quick search wikipedia by "w"+tab anymore. In addition, my history page is blank, despite me having used Chrome for a few days now. Anyone else having problems?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there any way to pre-emptively tell Chrome to block a certain extension from being enabled, even though the extension is not installed on your computer? IE is there an extension ID blacklist I could maintain?

My office domain policy is passing out an extension (McAfee Siteadvisor) which offends my sensibilities.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

gmjdY.jpg

Thank you, space jesus.

Anyone else see the Img.ur extension update that basically wanted access to everything about your browsing? And unfortunately, min.us's extension wanted similar permissions.

How do they think this is OK? Your extension is good, but not that good. What could they possibly need all my browsing data for to enhance my experience?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else see the Img.ur extension update that basically wanted access to everything about your browsing? And unfortunately, min.us's extension wanted similar permissions.

How do they think this is OK? Your extension is good, but not that good. What could they possibly need all my browsing data for to enhance my experience?

do you have a link to the extension?

I'll say this, the way Google handle this is very poor and it's something I've complained to them about before.

For example my image properties extension says it can access "Your data on all websites" which sounds a bit ominous for a simple extension but it's only because it has to make 1 external request (that is to say, it needs to get something not bundled with the extension) and because of that I have to request permissions to every website in the manifest. All it's doing is loading the image you requested but it now has access to everything.

I agree it's unclear what an extension is doing and why it needs that kind of access but at the same time Google's manifest policy is basically all or nothing. It's frustrating.

Chrome dev has a new flag called "Enable extension activity UI" which should let you see what an extension is doing but it's broken right now.

ScOULaris

gmjdY.jpg

Thank you, space jesus.

Hey, stump. Were you ever able to look into my account status? A little over two weeks ago, you said that you would in another thread. When a day or so went by without any updates and I still couldn't start threads or send PM's, I asked for others to PM mods on my behalf in three of my frequently visited threads.

It seems that Kagari didn't like this "whining," so she banned me for two weeks.

Well, the ban is finally over, and I still can't start threads or send PM's. As I was saying before I got banned for asking for help repeatedly, not being able to PM anybody makes it very difficult for me to get help with this.

I'm not whining. I'm merely asking for help because there is clearly something wrong with my account.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm merely asking for help because there is clearly something wrong with my account.

I am fairly sure it would be intentional. There are ways to control such things on the admin side. The better question to ask would be why they would strip you of PM privileges.

ScOULaris

I am fairly sure it would be intentional. There are ways to control such things on the admin side. The better question to ask would be why they would strip you of PM privileges.

I dunno, man. I can't even imagine what I could have done wrong. It just happened out of nowhere one day.

Edit: I guess this is the last I will talk about my stripped privileges for a little bit. If stump really is looking into it still, I'll just try to be patient. I don't want to anger any mods by asking for help in other threads, so I'll hold off for a while. It just sucks because, if I could send PM's, I wouldn't have to interrupt threads with pleas for assistance.

ScOULaris

Getting back on topic, I got to give a ten-minute presentation on Chrome the other day to all of my coworkers. They have had to suffer through IE7/8 for years, but I recently installed Chrome on all of their machines and told them to start using that instead.

During my presentation, I shared with everyone a bunch of Chrome's cool tricks and shortcuts (omnibar functions, auto-translate, the new tab page... etc.) as well as some recommended extensions and web apps that could increase their productivity at work. Everyone seemed genuinely interested, and then the next day my inbox was flooded with questions and praise regarding Chrome.

A superior of mine was watching the presentation, and he came up to me afterward to thank me for showing him some of the extensions. He said that he had no idea about extensions in Chrome (which is sad, seeing as how he works in IT at a level above me).

TL;DR - Talking about Chrome IRL is as fun as talking about it on GAF.

Izick

Getting back on topic, I got to give a ten-minute presentation on Chrome the other day to all of my coworkers. They have had to suffer through IE7/8 for years, but I recently installed Chrome on all of their machines and told them to start using that instead.

During my presentation, I shared with everyone a bunch of Chrome's cool tricks and shortcuts (omnibar functions, auto-translate, the new tab page... etc.) as well as some recommended extensions and web apps that could increase their productivity at work. Everyone seemed genuinely interested, and then the next day my inbox was flooded with questions and praise regarding Chrome.

A superior of mine was watching the presentation, and he came up to me afterward to thank me for showing him some of the extensions. He said that he had no idea about extensions in Chrome (which is sad, seeing as how he works in IT at a level above me).

TL;DR - Talking about Chrome IRL is as fun as talking about it on GAF.

That does sound fun. It's always nice to inform people that they do things a lot more efficiently by doing something as easy as installing Chrome.

nan0

Is there an extension, which replicates the Speed Dial function from Opera? I tried Speed Dial, Speed Dial 2 and EverTab, but it seems that none of them can a) autorefresh all Dials at once and b) make the thumbnails actually readable. In Opera, I used them more to have a quick overview about rarely updated websites than as a link launcher.

I'll admit that this is kind of a browser-wide problem for me but Chrome is doing it too. Lately some webpages have been displaying font incorrectly; Twitter is the only site I know of for sure that does it.

Ex.

D5JLE.png

Anyone familiar with this or know how to fix it? I'm sure it's something incredibly simplistic and common, I just don't know what to do about it. It's happening in Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Izick

I'll admit that this is kind of a browser-wide problem for me but Chrome is doing it too. Lately some webpages have been displaying font incorrectly; Twitter is the only site I know of for sure that does it.

Ex.

D5JLE.png

Anyone familiar with this or know how to fix it? I'm sure it's something incredibly simplistic and common, I just don't know what to do about it. It's happening in Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Try clearing your cache out.

Izick

Here's Twitter's login page:

7CUSC.png

Da fuck?

I just checked and it's fine on mine, but I'm using Chromium for Linux (Ubuntu). I don't know what else to suggest. These things are usually cache issues, but you cleaned yours.

Did you disable all your extensions? Do you have any of the "about:flags" enabled?

Yeah I checked the add-ons and disabled them all to test it and that didn't work. Not sure how to do your second suggestion? I uninstalled Chrome and Firefox to see if that would work but haven't reinstalled either yet, so now I'm on IE.

btw thanks for the help

Izick

Yeah I checked the add-ons and disabled them all to test it and that didn't work. Not sure how to do your second suggestion? I uninstalled Chrome and Firefox to see if that would work but haven't reinstalled either yet, so now I'm on IE.

btw thanks for the help

No problem. If you don't know what my suggestion was then you didn't tinker with it in the first case, which means it's not the problem.

Okay, I just re-read your post and didn't realize that it was with all your browsers...hmm...I wonder if it could be a technical glitch with your OS or something. What do you run, Windows 7?

That didn't seem to do anything, tried it on several sites. I'll just keep messing around with settings and whatnot, I wouldn't want to take up anymore of your time because my browsers are being insolent. I appreciate it though :)

Izick

That didn't seem to do anything, tried it on several sites. I'll just keep messing around with settings and whatnot, I wouldn't want to take up anymore of your time because my browsers are being insolent. I appreciate it though :)

No problem. It's late and there's not as many people on the boards, so I'm sure there will be more tomorrow that can actually (successfully :p) help you out.

You can always try out the tech support thread on here as well. They should be able to hopefully help.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
People using Windows 8 on tablets probably. And having a browser that fits in with the rest of the OS is a good idea, generally.

Izick

I'm not sure why Google wouldn't make a metro version, because it may use up some resources, but it's better to test the waters.

That, and they can have it not only for Windows 8, but then they could port it to iPad, couldn't they?

Somnid

I'm not sure why Google wouldn't make a metro version, because it may use up some resources, but it's better to test the waters.

That, and they can have it not only for Windows 8, but then they could port it to iPad, couldn't they?

It doesn't work like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I mean they'll have an idea on how to create a user-friendly touch UI that could be used across the tablet platforms.

The reasons Chrome isn't on the iPad or iPhone yet (despite there being a touch-optimized Android version already) are technical problems, not design problems. Apple simply wouldn't allow Chrome onto the App Store unless it was basically a rebranded Safari, and that's not gonna happen.

kehs

Banned
Apparently the dev channel now has the same functionality as the android channel where you can access open tabs from other devices.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I suddenly have the desire to buy a Chromebook again. But I must be patient, Samsung still hasn't released the updated Series 5/Chromebox they showed at CES.

Apparently the dev channel now has the same functionality as the android channel where you can access open tabs from other devices.

I was hoping the open tabs would actually be synced. Like the state between all signed-in Chrome instances would be kept the same. Close one tab, it closes everywhere. Open a tab, it opens everywhere.

But that might be invasive... then again this is basically using the same data.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's the dev version but is anyone else finding it really unstable? (19.0.1068.0)

Chrome keeps trying to use 100% of my cpu and then crashes. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it, it just happens randomly.

It happened maybe 2 or 3 times yesterday and about 5 times today (so far).

Top Bottom