• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
So they're getting rid of the single window per screen space metaphor? It looks nice, but I doubt it would work on my Cr-48.

kehs

Banned
I suddenly have the desire to buy a Chromebook again. But I must be patient, Samsung still hasn't released the updated Series 5/Chromebox they showed at CES.

I was hoping the open tabs would actually be synced. Like the state between all signed-in Chrome instances would be kept the same. Close one tab, it closes everywhere. Open a tab, it opens everywhere.

But that might be invasive... then again this is basically using the same data.

That was my thinking at first, but I prefer the list method, since I tend to visit different sites depending on computer. There's only small overlap with needing certain tabs there.

Probably old but there is a new video of Chrome OS' Aura floating around the web. I think the video is actually a month or so old, but I didn't see it till yesterday.

Chrome OS Aura Video

That tab/window animation is part of android chrome(tablet) for switching tabs. It's pretty cool, except that cycling is odd because you can't cycle right if you're in a middle tab.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jas is banned. :O

Actually it's not unofficial persay. I mean it's part of the chromium project.

What really? Oh I guess that's right, my apologies then. That's crazy.

Definitely *seems* unofficial though. Like all those horrible early "leaks" of Chrome OS before it was first shown off.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Jas is banned. :O

What really? Oh I guess that's right, my apologies then. That's crazy.

Definitely *seems* unofficial though. Like all those horrible early "leaks" of Chrome OS before it was first shown off.

The problem is the info is out there, but nobody has officially spoken on it. So it's this nebulous thing being worked on.

Here's an official page about the thing....

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/Aura

Also if you go here..

New Link

It says...

"The ChromeOS UI team has traditionally worked on many of these features and people from that team will contribute heavily to this effort."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah I was also reading the chromium.org wiki too. I don't understand the point. Maybe to snazzy Chrome up to build hype? Differentiate it from regular Chrome? I'd rather it not, the whole point of Chrome OS is that it's just Chrome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah I was also reading the chromium.org wiki too. I don't understand the point. Maybe to snazzy Chrome up to build hype? Differentiate it from regular Chrome? I'd rather it not, the whole point of Chrome OS is that it's just Chrome.

According to this is it's still just chrome. It just has an offline like UI, but everything is still just running chrome. IDK seems cool, but not?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems like it's trying to become more like regular desktop OS's (Aura at this stage reminds me of Gnome 2, not a good thing) and I don't like it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's fine but I think especially nowadays it's highly outdated and outmoded and doesn't suit the Chrome OS ideals at all.

Meohsix

Just started using chrome last week and i have a question. in firefox you have the Applications panel where you can tell the browser what to do with certain file types, Example: Clicking a torrent link would automatically open the file in µTorrent instead of downloading it to the desktop. is there a way to set stuff up like that in chrome?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Just started using chrome last week and i have a question. in firefox you have the Applications panel where you can tell the browser what to do with certain file types, Example: Clicking a torrent link would automatically open the file in µTorrent instead of downloading it to the desktop. is there a way to set stuff up like that in chrome?

you can get Chrome to auto-open files. when it's has finished download it will launch the program associated with that file type.

other browsers still download the file they just put it in your %temp% folder, Chrome puts it in your default downloads folder. I don't think there's a way to change that.

MLVeC.png

Number45

Is anyone aware of a way that I can have Chrome use it's own proxy configuration (by which I mean it doesn't share with IE)? At work I prefer to use a proxy (that I manage) for general browsing with Chrome, however I need IE itself to have a direct connection for other work purposes.

I've been trialling Firefox again this week (as you can use separate proxy settings) to see if I can go back to that, but I just can't leave Chrome. :/

Jzero

wtf google maps keeps freezing on me and it's memory hogging. Damn it shouldn't have updated to beta again.

SimleuqiR

OK Chrome GAF, here is a question.

Why is my Google+ Notification extension so useless?
It hasn't work for me in a while, on all my synced installations of Chrome. I cannot see any notifications.

Googleplusonefails.png

Is it another extension causing the problem? Anyone has experience this also?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Chrome Phone Beta keeps force closing on me today. Nothing has changed on my end anyone else having trouble with it?

Fxp

Got only one majot annoyance while using Chrome- find window (Ctrl+F) closes after I open next NeoGAF page. In FF it stayed open and I didn't have to press Ctrl+F again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK Chrome GAF, here is a question.

Why is my Google+ Notification extension so useless?
It hasn't work for me in a while, on all my synced installations of Chrome. I cannot see any notifications.

Googleplusonefails.png

Is it another extension causing the problem? Anyone has experience this also?

It's only just a little slow for me. It doesn't update with new friend requests (thank God) unless another notification pops up too.

Ctrl+G

SimleuqiR

It's only just a little slow for me. It doesn't update with new friend requests (thank God) unless another notification pops up too.

Ctrl+G

But even when I have it lid with a notification # and then I click it it shows nothing. It used to show a list of recent notifications, but now nothing. I've uninstalled it and re-installed and I get the same issue. >_>

Zeppu

But even when I have it lid with a notification # and then I click it it shows nothing. It used to show a list of recent notifications, but now nothing. I've uninstalled it and re-installed and I get the same issue. >_>

Silly question, but do the notifications work from other google services, say Gmail?

SimleuqiR

Silly question, but do the notifications work from other google services, say Gmail?

The only other notification extension I have is for Google Voice (which works), and when I click on it the last text conversations and/or voicemails load up with no issues. Even the Google Task extension pulls all my todo lists without a problem.

Zeppu

The only other notification extension I have is for Google Voice (which works), and when I click on it the last text conversations and/or voicemails load up with no issues. Even the Google Task extension pulls all my todo lists without a problem.

No no, the notification at the top right of gmail/reader/etc which holds the G+ notifications. Does that ever update?

Nabs

Hmm. I can no longer search Google by dragging text to the tab bar. Anyone else? I'm on the Chrome Beta.

Whats the URL you're using for the wiki search engine in the address bar? None of the suggestions I've found have worked for me.

Edit: Well it is working but I can't use tab to access it..only the spacebar

Zeppu

Whats the URL you're using for the wiki search engine in the address bar? None of the suggestions I've found have worked for me.

Edit: Well it is working but I can't use tab to access it..only the spacebar

I used to type 'wiki' followed by tab and it worked fine. Recently, it started searching wikiquote for some reason, and I don't use that at all. I edited search engine and removed the entry for wikiquote. Then typing wiki tab would get me the URL for wikiquote.org (no search). I selected that from the omnibar and shift+del'd it and now, finally, wiki tab searches wikipedia again.

Did that make sense at all?

Aguirre

Don't know if it is just an issue with my install of Chrome, but I have many unresponsive tabs. I enter a URL, nothing happens. It just keeps loading. Open another tab, type the same URL and it fires up straight away.

It's very, very annoying.

Polari

I don't know why Google don't just use GNOME heavily integrated with their services if they're pursuing something like Aura. Or better yet kill off Chrome OS altogether and put the resources behind Android on x86.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome 18 was released. It includes hardware acceleration by default for all Canvas 2D elements, and includes SwiftShader allowing WebGL content to be run on older/unsupported hardware and operating systems (albeit more slowly than a pure GPU-accelerated implementation.) No user facing changes that I've read, although I think I noticed that a downloaded file's name in the download bar is black now instead of blue or whatever it was before.

Also there was a minor scare about malware on the Web Store. It's finally growing up? :p

18 seems noticeably faster/more responsive in page loading for me. Like, might have taken the crown back from Safari 5.2 on Mac. (Though the Mountain Lion version is supposed to be insanely fast).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I haven't noticed any improvements but 17 was actually, um, perfect for me. For real, I never, ever thought "Why is this hitching?" or "Why is this slow?" I hate to join into "that" crowd, but for me, the performance improvements at this point (outside graphics, which 18 thankfully jumps forward in) are negligible to me. And I haven't been able to say that about any other browser ever before.

A couple other things I noticed: the new tab button seems to have no border anymore (kind of annoying with my transparent Aero theme and light backgrounds), and the background tabs seem to have a much lighter border as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why do pictures and avatars often show up as dead links or halfway loaded in Chrome?

Oh wow, this takes me back. That hasn't been an issue for a long time. If it's happening to you, and you're a new convert, just keep using Chrome, it'll eventually build up a good cache and all images should start loading fine.

Oh wow, this takes me back. That hasn't been an issue for a long time. If it's happening to you, and you're a new convert, just keep using Chrome, it'll eventually build up a good cache and all images should start loading fine.

I've been using Chrome for about half a year now, and this hasn't happened until a month or so ago. Is there really no fix besides "sit and wait?"

:|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well everyone assumed it was fixed. It's really odd that it's started happening to you all of a sudden. I'd file a bug on on crbug.com if I were you, or search for other bugs like the one you have.

Well everyone assumed it was fixed. It's really odd that it's started happening to you all of a sudden. I'd file a bug on on crbug.com if I were you, or search for other bugs like the one you have.

I did search, and none of them were fixed. I'd switch back to Firefox right now if it wasn't such a huge memory sink.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think the "sync" options now includes open tabs? Didn't notice that in 17. Nor do I know how to make use of it.

It's mostly useful for Chrome on Android. And it was in Chrome 17,it just wasn't user visible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the "sync" options now includes open tabs? Didn't notice that in 17. Nor do I know how to make use of it.

I only see Apps, Autofill, Bookmarks, Extensions, Omnibox History, Passwords, Settings, and Themes in my Windows 7 Chrome 18 install.

Top Bottom