• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jzero

Wow! You aren't kidding. Looks terrible. I'm maining Firefox lately anyways but I keep both browsers installed since they seem to go back and forth with crappy issues such as that.
Can you guys post a picture of the fonts? mine looks normal.

dwebo

Can you guys post a picture of the fonts? mine looks normal.
slightly different cleartype settings, since it was a different computer (win7 vs. win8, as well), but it looks close enough to how it used to on the updated machine

old:
m7f3v.png

new:
DDbel.png

dwebo

hmm, this update also completely removed the regular, non-pepper flash as well. the crappier in-house version has been the default for a few weeks now, so I doubt too many will notice or care

I do, though, so fuck this update

Chrome 22 is here! What's the hot ticket items?

Yeah... and also a frickton of security fixes. :p

As others have mentioned, font rendering seemed to have changed again with this release. I also noticed a difference simply going to Mountain Lion.

Eagerly anticipating the Flash process optimizations that Windows got for the Mac side in a future version.

Andrex, any cool new features coming up?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As others have mentioned, font rendering seemed to have changed again with this release. I also noticed a difference simply going to Mountain Lion.

Eagerly anticipating the Flash process optimizations that Windows got for the Mac side in a future version.

Andrex, any cool new features coming up?

position: sticky! Which may seem kind lame to you guys but gives me the weirdest web dev... hrm... anyways.

Chrome 23 will have support for real-time video chat in WebRTC, native captions for HTML5 video, presumably full Metro support, and the replacing of the bookmark star with the share/bookmark dropdown (which I'm not crazy about; it also uses "+" which was removed from the tab button because...?)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Finally. They removed that ugly useless "Presentation Mode" button (That looked like a dark grey representation of a window with curtains) from the top right when in OS X Fullscreen mode. About time. I've accidentally hit that so many times.

But sadly they still haven't fixed it so I can drag tabs between fullscreened windows. I have to take both windows out of fullscreen to drag tabs out of their window and drop it into another one, or just plain drag it into its own window.

Hello.... what's this new Send to Mobile icon... hmm??? That's pretty cool! But it would be much more useful if I could also send a tab from my mobile to another device. I use the tabs list all the time for moving tabs from other machines. I wish there was a way to manually send a tab from any of my Chrome devices, history and all, and have it also automatically close the tab on the current device when the tab has been properly received on the other end. As it is right now I'll open a dozen tabs on my phone throughout the day then get home to my laptop and open all the tabs, but then I still have to go back to my phone to close the tabs on there. Would be nice if we could close tabs from anywhere as well as load them up.

What's this plus button though? It doesn't seem to do anything for me. I am glad they didn't get rid of the star though, but now they're putting so much stuff in the address bar. It says "Actions" but there aren't any actions coming up. I assume it's some social stuff. Can I just hide it because I don't ever plan on using it. Edit: Found the option to hide it supposedly in about:flags. Good.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finally. They removed that ugly useless "Presentation Mode" button (That looked like a dark grey representation of a window with curtains) from the top right when in OS X Fullscreen mode. About time. I've accidentally hit that so many times.

But sadly they still haven't fixed it so I can drag tabs between fullscreened windows. I have to take both windows out of fullscreen to drag tabs out of their window and drop it into another one, or just plain drag it into its own window.

Hello.... what's this new Send to Mobile icon... hmm??? That's pretty cool! But it would be much more useful if I could also send a tab from my mobile to another device. I use the tabs list all the time for moving tabs from other machines. I wish there was a way to manually send a tab from any of my Chrome devices, history and all, and have it also automatically close the tab on the current device when the tab has been properly received on the other end. As it is right now I'll open a dozen tabs on my phone throughout the day then get home to my laptop and open all the tabs, but then I still have to go back to my phone to close the tabs on there. Would be nice if we could close tabs from anywhere as well as load them up.

What's this plus button though? It doesn't seem to do anything for me. I am glad they didn't get rid of the star though, but now they're putting so much stuff in the address bar. It says "Actions" but there aren't any actions coming up. I assume it's some social stuff. Can I just hide it because I don't ever plan on using it. Edit: Found the option to hide it supposedly in about:flags. Good.

This already works at least on Android in both Firefox and Chrome. You can send tabs back and forth between devices so long as you're logged in, and have your tabs set to sync.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This already works at least on Android in both Firefox and Chrome. You can send tabs back and forth between devices so long as you're logged in, and have your tabs set to sync.
I'm on iOS. I haven't seen an option yet, but I haven't looked. Let me check quickly. Maybe it's there and I haven't seen it yet. Though the one I have right now on iOS is 21.x. Maybe it's a 22 thing? (Since they seem to be keeping the mobile versions syncronized version wise with the desktop versions.

Fake edit: Nope. Not there yet. I bet it'll be in the next iOS version. Maybe. On Android, where is the option located? Is it under the hotdogs menu or in the addressbar?

Real edit: That's cool. If my iPad or iPhone is asleep when I send a tab, it gives me a notification. Neato. This is nice. More options for my Chrome lifestyle.

Vanillalite

I'm on iOS. I haven't seen an option yet, but I haven't looked. Let me check quickly. Maybe it's there and I haven't seen it yet. Though the one I have right now on iOS is 21.x. Maybe it's a 22 thing? (Since they seem to be keeping the mobile versions syncronized version wise with the desktop versions.

Fake edit: Nope. Not there yet. I bet it'll be in the next iOS version. Maybe. On Android, where is the option located? Is it under the hotdogs menu or in the addressbar?

Real edit: That's cool. If my iPad or iPhone is asleep when I send a tab, it gives me a notification. Neato. This is nice. More options for my Chrome lifestyle.

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2591582

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I already use that. I was just hoping the iOS version had a button, like the cell phone in 22 on the desktop, that would send a tab to another device. Rather than the other way around where I go to the other device and pull the tab over from my other machine. I don't see such a button sadly. So I just have to use the Pull method for now until they implement a Push method for iOS.

I've also noticed that it only lets you push from a desktop to a mobile device and not another desktop. So I can't just push a tab from my MacBook to my Mac mini connected to my TV sadly. Which is where it would be super useful. Oh well, pulling will still work.

Know what I mean?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can push to another desktop though...
I don't see my mini showing up in the list though. Just my iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that I don't use but is still registered. (BTW, how would I go about removing that device?)

I can pull tabs, but push for me only seems to be for mobile devices. Unless I need to update the mini to 22. Right now it's still 21.

Vanillalite

I don't see my mini showing up in the list though. Just my iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that I don't use but is still registered. (BTW, how would I go about removing that device?)

I can pull tabs, but push for me only seems to be for mobile devices. Unless I need to update the mini to 22. Right now it's still 21.

Are you signed in with tab syncing on the mini? Double check and make sure you're signed in and have tab syncing on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Syncing is turned on on everything yes. Is there an option other than the one under Settings > Sign In > Advanced Sync Settings? Because I have it set to sync everything.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have problems playing YouTube videos on Chrome with a macbook pro? I see black screens sometimes...

Do you have hardware-accelerated video enabled? This caused videos to stop working and crash for me.

go to about:flags and see if there's an option called "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode" and enable it.

or it could just be Flash being Flash.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
- Cleartype settings vary from computer to computer
- its pretty subtle; some people simply may not have noticed

Chrome Before:
g7XsV.png

Chrome After:
tvcU9.png

It appears to me that the font is just a tone softer. Chrome needs to have it's toner cartridge replaced, or shaken sometimes that works.

Damn... I'm not digging at all this new version of chrome.

First I was feeling that the newer font tone was ok, but after going through my normal daily web pages, everything seems dull and lifeless. And that includes GAF, Twitter, Yahoo and even Google's results (because Gmail and Google.com seem ok). Did they messed up the CSS renderer or something?

Second... why has the wrench been replaced by some justify text icon? I just don't understand that decision at all, since that button resembles more like a "Preview all Tabs" button than settings! If it wasn't because we're all used to know that the settings button is in that position, we wouldn't know right away what the new icon resembles.

What happened with this update Google? Are you trying to brainwash us with new illogical standards? Please fix it Google! Pretty Please!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Second... why has the wrench been replaced by some justify text icon? I just don't understand that decision at all, since that button resembles more like a "Preview all Tabs" button than settings! If it wasn't because we're all used to know that the settings button is in that position, we wouldn't know right away what the new icon resembles.
It's lovingly called the Hotdogs menu and is their standard icon across all Chrome versions. I do agree its silly but it does resemble a menu list as that's what it's supposed to be. A listed menu.

Top Bottom