• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

btrboyev

unable to go to any secure sites with the newest chrome update. That means I cannot use gmail with chrome, which our school uses google apps.

Come on google.

Gui_PT

Can't seem to find the youtube me again extension. Anyone have a link?

Edit: Found it. Had to install it myself though since you can't install extensions outside of the google store. That's news to me.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for the link, that seems to have fixed all my problems so far.

I don't know what it is about the new version and my computer, as it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, but it's nice to have a browser that isn't fucked.

before you go backwards, try using the beta or dev channel.

there's a chance whatever problem you were having has been fixed in a newer version.

beta / dev

profit

Sorry if this has been asked many times before.
Yesterday one of my co workers Chrome started to act weird. Whenever he opens a new tab, he cant access one of his previous tabs. Its not like the browsers locks up, he can browse fine in his new tab, and when he closes it he can access his previous tab (but only the one that was next to it).
Is this a problem with the new update?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry if this has been asked many times before.
Yesterday one of my co workers Chrome started to act weird. Whenever he opens a new tab, he cant access one of his previous tabs. Its not like the browsers locks up, he can browse fine in his new tab, and when he closes it he can access his previous tab (but only the one that was next to it).
Is this a problem with the new update?
Sounds like a new problem I haven't seen mentioned.

Throw it on the version 22 pile.

I might try out Beta or Dev tonight.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can't seem to find the youtube me again extension. Anyone have a link?

Edit: Found it. Had to install it myself though since you can't install extensions outside of the google store. That's news to me.

I noticed that too, I think its a recent Chrome thing as it worked fine a couple of months ago.

effzee

Chrome just gave me a hell of a time. Google sites and Twitter both stopped loading. And Chrome keeps beachballing for me now. Like crash frozen type of beachball. I keep having to force quit it.

Fix this shit, Google!

I am having some issues similar to this. On my laptop, and only on mine, Chrome keeps freezing, the screen goes black, comes back up and I get an error message about the display but that it has been restored. Even though it says "restored" none of the tabs work anymore and I have to close Chrome and re start it.

Now I thought this was just my laptop because it doesn't happen on my wife's laptop, but I switched to Safari for the time being and uninstalled Chrome. Today is day 4 and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

Any ideas on this? Is it Chrome or my laptop? Or something that might have been installed (app or extension) which could have been causing the issue?

Kabuto

just wanted to pop in and say that gifs are just not working in chrome for me. they either begin loading but stop or just plain out do not work unless I open the gif in a separate tab.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
^ same for me. I haven't read back in the thread much. Are a lot of people having this issue? Fix?

microtubule

I noticed the "gif not loading" issue in the last few DEV releases. However it seems to be working in the current developer channel version (23.0.1271.10)

Jzero

I don't like the way the omnibox highlights or the color of the close tab button in the beta :(

Oh well, i have to deal with it.

sca2511

I'm hoping that Chrome will allow bookmark tagging in the future. It makes looking for bookmarks a lot easier in Firefox.

so I used to be able to type "goo" and then press tab and it would let me type in my google search terms. press enter and bam, there they were

I reinstalled windows, reinstalled chrome, and now it doesn't work anymore.
When I type goo and press tab it auto fills my url bar thing to goodreads.com

HELP ME GAF

It's lovingly called the Hotdogs menu and is their standard icon across all Chrome versions. I do agree its silly but it does resemble a menu list as that's what it's supposed to be. A listed menu.

Didn't know that! Cool name but as Andrex mentioned, I would love the three dots instead... or like you mentioned, the wrench was better!

And just an FYI... I'm kind of liking this new thinner font rendering Chrome is doing. I hope they fix it, but if they don't I'll be alright lol.

Flash

whenever I start up chrome it always re-opens tabs from my previous sessions... even though in the settings I have "open the new tab page" on start up selected.

annoying because any videos i was watching will start playing soon as I start up.

i'm on Version 22.0.1229.79 m btw

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holy fuck I would have never thought about that. Thanks for letting me know, in the chrome thread no less.

There's a reason I always have multiple browsers installed. WIth quick rolling releases from the likes of Opera, Mozilla, and Google these days things are bound to get weird every once in a while. It sucks, but sometimes you just have to roll with a backup until a hotfix gets pushed.

What's funny is that so many people are just now freaking out about this. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've had little problems like this for a while now across all browsers. So while I try and stick with a main browser (Chrome for the past few years) I've always had times where I've hopped to another browser till things got patched.

set "goo" as the keyword for Google in the "manage search engines" bit

chrome://settings/searchEngines

got it working! yesssss. For some reason the keyword was google.com_ with an underscore after it, so when the url bar would auto fill google.com without the underscore, pressing tab would go to my next remembered url that started with "goo" (in my case, goodreads.com). Changing the keyword to google.com (removing the underscore) has fixed it.

Fox Mulder

There's a reason I always have multiple browsers installed. WIth quick rolling releases from the likes of Opera, Mozilla, and Google these days things are bound to get weird every once in a while. It sucks, but sometimes you just have to roll with a backup until a hotfix gets pushed.

What's funny is that so many people are just now freaking out about this. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've had little problems like this for a while now across all browsers. So while I try and stick with a main browser (Chrome for the past few years) I've always had times where I've hopped to another browser till things got patched.

I've never really had issues with a browser shitting itself after stealth updating on me. I rarely update my browser if it works, and if Chrome had asked this last time, I would have declined.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've never really had issues with a browser shitting itself after stealth updating on me. I rarely update my browser if it works, and if Chrome had asked this last time, I would have declined.

#partoftheproblem

NH Apache

Banned
So I was having the gif issue on multiple computers. After doing a little searching, if you highlight the gif, it will start playing.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
So I was having the gif issue on multiple computers. After doing a little searching, if you highlight the gif, it will start playing.

Yep, this happens on my Mac with Chrome as well. The last few Chrome releases have been buggier than normal, or if not buggy than at least quirky. I have 8 cores and 16 threads on my CPU. give me looping gifs, Google!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would give anything for a New Tab Page that includes the following two important features:

1) The "Other Devices" tab list MUST be present. I use this feature all the time. I need my other tabs. I have 4 devices I move between on a daily basis.

2) The ability to MANUALLY choose what sites appear on a grid that is shown when you open a new tab.

Right now I can't use Speed Dial because there's no "Other Devices" tab list. I don't know why but none of the NTP replacements currently offer this. Does Google not offer this as part of the Extension SDK? Seems like it'd be super simple JavaScript.

And I can't use the default one (Though I do) because there is apparently no way to manually pick what sites I want to show on it. My only two options are A) a grid of the 8 most visited sites, which is a bald faced lie because it just picks them arbitrarily and doesn't go to the top level instead it might show some random page on the site. And B) a grid of Chrome WebApps. Which I don't use. Don't want to use. Have no interest in using.

I've tried dragging and dropping a bookmark on the grids in the hopes of creating a nice little manual link to the site, but all it does is open the page. I've even tried it on the Apps page and while close, there's no cigar because it creates an iconless link with no page title and no way of editing it.

All I want is a NTP that doesn't suck. But instead I have two that only half suck but each for the opposite reason. I'll create my own NTP if I could just figure out the code required to show the list of "Other device" tabs.

There's even a page on Google's help forum but none of the other developers can comprehend English because they keep getting confused as to what the person is asking for.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chrome/b7swpdsXwE0

I would also love a way of manually syncing your other devices tab list. I constantly open a site on one computer that I want to access on another but sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes for it to show up. So having a way of manually forcing them to sync would be nice.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would also love a way of manually syncing your other devices tab list. I constantly open a site on one computer that I want to access on another but sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes for it to show up. So having a way of manually forcing them to sync would be nice.
Mine syncs right away believe or not. I open tabs on my Macbook Air and immediately go to my Mac mini keyboard to open the tab there all the time. (I'd use the Chrome to Mobile feature if it worked Chrome to Desktop Chrome and not just to Mobile. There shouldn't be any distinction here. It should be from any Chrome to any other Chrome.)

I usually use Crossloop for remote desktop but i'll try Google's when i get home.

Just tested it out and works pretty well. If anyone else has used Citrix products like GoToMeeting and GoToMyPC, Chrome remote desktop has both modes.

In one mode, you can share your desktop by sending someone else a one time access code that is generated when you launch a share session.

In the other mode, all your PCs with Google Remote Desktop show up as a list and you can remote to any of them by using a password.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop-bet/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp

Sagitario

Problem with Chrome, it has happened 3 times in less than 2 weeks now.

I have 2 or 3 windows (sometimes more) with ~20 tabs each and out of nowhere, Chrome restarts. And of course, it tries to load all +60 tabs at the same time :|

The 3 times this has happened, I have been AFK for a few minutes, so I have no idea what triggered this (perhaps an automatic Chrome update?)

Number45

Is there any way you can see the updates that are being applied when Chrome asks you to restart for an update? Not bothered, just curious to see what is being included.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way you can see the updates that are being applied when Chrome asks you to restart for an update? Not bothered, just curious to see what is being included.

They don't really publish all the little changes in a human readable format (i.e. a list) but you can find them in the svn revision logs

this is the official site: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/

it will have links to the logs when the release a new version.

for example: this is the last beta update

Sagitario

Problem with Chrome, it has happened 3 times in less than 2 weeks now.

I have 2 or 3 windows (sometimes more) with ~20 tabs each and out of nowhere, Chrome restarts. And of course, it tries to load all +60 tabs at the same time :|

The 3 times this has happened, I have been AFK for a few minutes, so I have no idea what triggered this (perhaps an automatic Chrome update?)

Happened at work today, but I wasn't AFK this time. I noticed the update icon and out of nowhere, Chrome restarted itself, no warning. WTF? That's a big no in any software update.

Kabuto

Flash player just updated for me and everything is working again. Gifs are fine and youtube videos are working too. THANK YOU ADOBE.

Top Bottom