• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

DeSo

Banned
chrome://plugins/

You'll most likely have two versions of flash in there, disable the pepper one. That's what worked for me after having issues for weeks.

Is there a way to improve the ctrl+f "find on page" feature. I hate how it works in Chrome. I want it to work just like it does in Firefox. I want to be able to use a keystroke to find the next instance of that term, and I want the find box to remain sticky - like if I navigate to a different page I want it to stay there.

Any tips?

Is there a way to improve the ctrl+f "find on page" feature. I hate how it works in Chrome. I want it to work just like it does in Firefox. I want to be able to use a keystroke to find the next instance of that term, and I want the find box to remain sticky - like if I navigate to a different page I want it to stay there.

Any tips?

For the first part, the Enter key works right?

clav

Just noticed that for Windows users, Google now installs its contents to Program Files (x86).

In the past, the browser would just be placed in the user's local appdata folder. Now it uses both places for certain tasks.

vazel

Banned
Is anyone getting memory leaks?
I have to quit out of Chrome before I play games otherwise my games sometimes stutter.

Chrome has given me more trouble than any web browser ever has since I started using browsers in the '90s. Only reason I keep using it is because I've become too attached to some of its features and extensions.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Just noticed that for Windows users, Google now installs its contents to Program Files (x86).

In the past, the browser would just be placed in the user's local appdata folder. Now it uses both places for certain tasks.

Nothing in either (64-bit) Program Files files for me. I'm on the latest dev build. (24.0.1305.3)

Are you sure it's Chrome?

DTKT

Anyone else has an issue where you can't force a youtube video to move to a unbuffered section?

It just moves me back to the end of the buffered section.

Rur0ni

I believe it's been doing this ever since the release of the enterprise msi installer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have a link to the latest beta or something that will fix the GIF issues?

This. I would appreciate it too :(

Gentlemen, me and this young man asked nicely. Anyone please help with this? It's quite irritating and I'm not sure when it started in terms of what version but I get GIF's that load slow or simply don't load or have tearing in them too (odd, I know). I often times have to open the GIF in a new tab to view it smoothly. This is on my wife's mid range laptop and my own mid-high end desktop so I know specs aren't the issue here.

HALP :)

Yep. Started these past two weeks or so after a recent update. Each tab used at least 50-100MB for me. I just opened a 3 page pdf and it uses 223 MB of RAM alone.

The new benchmark tagline for browsers, "Can it run 3 tabs?"

I noticed this a while back but I'm not sure if it's just doing it due to an issue with the browser or if that's an infrastructure change.

mario_O

This week I started having problems with Chrome and iE, they won't display webs properly, especially the font, I've tried reinstalling everything..any ideas?
a7739c280dca51cf6e5158f124e3c82f0c009f65.png

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think it's time for me to ditch Chrome and go back to Safari. It's so slow these days, sometimes it will freeze while loading a page, the GIF thing, some weird Flash shit going on. Been like it for a month, I'm now on 23.0.1271.52 beta and no fixes in sight.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
the gif thing is fixed in the dev channel. you can try disabling "Threaded compositing" in the about:flags section or try using the dev channel. That's what I use.

As for Flash, Chrome usually has several different versions installed for some reason. I would recommend you go to about:plugins, press the "details" on the right and try disabling and enabling different versions of Flash to see which one works best for you.

Jubern

Hi guys.

I'm having some big troubles with Chrome lately. Since I came to Japan actually, two months ago.
Basically, there are some times in the day where I won't be able to access Google (and all its related sites like YouTube), or it will be very slow. Some other sites are affected too, like Facebook which won't load the notifications and chat bars on the right side and which globally won't load pages like it should.

I first thought it was a network problem, since I'm in a dorm and have no control on the connection's configuration. But when those troubles emerges with Chrome, every other navigator I have keeps working perfectly (Safari Mac, Safari iPhone, Chrome iPhone, even goddamn PS3 navigator).

I realize this post lack info, but do you guys have any idea of what could cause this? Or what I could to to get more info about the problem I'm having.

I don't want to change navigators for various reasons...

PaulLFC

Why is Chrome for Android so horrible? I'm surprised, I've had no problems whatsoever with the desktop version and I've been using it for years now, it's my main browser and I don't see that changing.

So I don't know what it is Google have done to the Android version, but I can't go more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time on my Galaxy S2 (with normal Samsung ICS) without Chrome freezing, not taking keyboard inputs, or even completely locking my phone forcing me to reset it fully.

It's been like this for months as well, it was the same before the most recent Samsung update, before the Chrome update a few days ago as well (the update doesn't seem to do anything, at least not on my phone, it's certainly not more stable as the changelog claims, and if anything it's more prone to crash now).

It's annoying because the browser itself is great, but it's unusable in this state - from what I've experienced it can freeze anywhere - half way through entering a password, during online shopping, it doesn't matter, if it's been more than a few minutes since the last crash, chances are Chrome will lock up and refuse to do anything.

Maybe it's just my phone, but I doubt that can be the case - it's a Galaxy S2 with Samsung's normal software on there - as far as I know it's one of, if not the most popular Android phone, so there should be no excuse for these problems. Sure I expect any app to crash sometimes, but nowhere near this often, to the point of being unusable.

It's not your phone, Chrome freezes and crashes for me (Xperia U ICS) randomly as well. Shame because Chrome is my favourite desktop browser.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Longer battery life and easier website permissions

A wise person once said, “Modern life is a constant search... for a power outlet.” With today’s new Chrome Stable release, we hope you can begin looking for more meaningful things.

We recently enabled GPU-accelerated video decoding for Chrome on Windows. Dedicated graphics chips draw far less power than a computer's CPU, so using GPU-accelerated video decoding while watching videos can increase battery life significantly.

In our tests [1], the battery lasted 25% longer when GPU-accelerated video decoding was enabled. Now Chrome users on Windows will experience longer battery life so they don’t get cut off while watching their favorite YouTube video on repeat.

You’ll also find it much easier to view and control any website’s permissions for capabilities such as geolocation, pop-ups, and camera/microphone access. This saves you from having to dig through settings pages to find these permissions. Now, simply click on the page/lock icon next to a website’s address in the omnibox to see a list of permissions and tweak them as you wish.

This latest release also includes an option to send a “do not track” request to websites and web services. The effectiveness of such requests is dependent on how websites and services respond, so Google is working with others on a common way to respond to these requests in the future.

Thanks to auto-updates, you will get these enhancements as we roll out the new release. If you don’t have Chrome yet, give it a spin.

Posted by Ami Fischman, Software Engineer and Watt Wrangler

RaijinFY

Text is still faded and thinned out in v23. Boo.

Good lord, wth have they dove with the font rendering. It was perfect until v22. Now i'm trying canary (basically v25) and font are still f***** up meaning the future v23, 24 and probably 25 will get fuzzy fonts...
Right now i'm switching between chrome v19 & Firefox 16.

Good lord, wth have they dove with the font rendering. It was perfect until v22. Now i'm trying canary (basically v25) and font are still f***** up meaning the future v23, 24 and probably 25 will get fuzzy fonts...
Right now i'm switching between chrome v19 & Firefox 16.

Me too. I'm LOVING Firefox 16. Probably won't go back to Chrome.

I'm having trouble loading pictures with chrome on Win 8, I have to refresh each page to make them all appear. Even on this page I had to refresh so all the avatars appear

deim0s

Nope is not that. Tried with Internet explorer and I'm getting this:
No text at all

Have you tried deleting the cache/cookies and/or a new profile (back them up if you want) - but these solve most problems.

Tip: invoke the web inspector - the gear icon on the lower right of the window (I'm on a Mac) would let you disable the cache. Reload the page while the web inspector is open.

You can also download youtube videos this way, if you know what to look for.

moniker

Is the gif issue fixed in v23? I took a quick peek in the funny pictures thread and it seemed alright now. It didn't scroll super smooth when hitting gifs but there were no freezes at least.

dwebo

Text is still faded and thinned out in v23. Boo.

it blows my mind that this hasn't been fixed yet. is it related to cleartype, and having changed cleartype tuner settings? (there's an untriaged font bug related to this)

do people not notice small changes in font? argh

saelz8

The popup animation is driving me crazy, as I get updates from Tweetdeck constantly.

Any way to disable this? Definately not a fan.

OatmealMu

I run Chrome with a high degree of zoom. Today, I noticed that the columns around text in my Gmail inbox are a hell of a lot bigger than before. Is this a Chrome or Gmail thing?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Someone told me the GIF freezing issue would be fixed in the next stable release. Well, here it is, and the issue has not been fixed. Awesome.

Top Bottom