• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

AstroLad said:
facebook friends exporter chrome extension. i haven't used it myself (dropped facebook long before all the cool people were doing it), but the reviews seem pretty good: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ficlccidpkaiepnnboobcmafnnfoomga

easy profile pic to use :p
VOiEF.jpg

TP3bs.jpg
I used this and it worked great. It actually convinced me to use my gmail account as my secondary email address now, so there's that too.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Some Google + themes for Chrome if you're interested.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hgbooogmiomgmaldbmgmocijclhecobg (I like this one more)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ogdjjnohgopniahihkllpljalpillklb

Terrell

Can someone who uses this service confirm something for me? Is it currently possible to have friends overlap in multiple circles? The tours and literature available don't seem to indicate that's currently possible.

Terrell said:
Can someone who uses this service confirm something for me? Is it currently possible to have friends overlap in multiple circles? The tours and literature available don't seem to indicate that's currently possible.

I have people in multiple circles right now.

Terrell

Devolution said:
I have people in multiple circles right now.
Oh thank goodness.
Now the only thing that Google+ will need to make my life complete is a feature that Facebook actually removed and didn't replace with anything substantial: a "How We Met/Know Each Other" option (http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2010/09/facebooks_how_we_met_feature.html). I found it very handy back in the day so that i could always remember that info in my ever-changing social life and when they removed the feature in Facebook, I had to resort to lists for that function. But Circles really doesn't properly lend itself to such a use without overcomplicating your list of circles, so I hope they add that and expand its usefulness (like allowing people who have you both in Circles can see not only that you know each other, but HOW, should you wish to allow it).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Terrell said:
yeah works.

But circles in circles doesn't work.

Terrell

Diprosalic said:
i got invited and still can't join. is this normal ATM?
Yes. Frustrating and sad, isn't it? This is its one frustrating aspect at the moment. Hunting and hoping for an invitation pissed me off with Gmail's beta back in the day, but this is even worse because even when you get invited, your invitation isn't even accepted. They're apparently "at capacity" for their limited beta.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's fucking ghetto that when someone posts a youtube video and I press play and then click over to view another stream the video/music stops. :[

Enco

MickD said:
So if I simply add people to my circles that aren't members they will get invites?

No one has got one yet..
It seems that Google has slowed down emails.

Use the other method of forwarding the email.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So then everyone can see things like comment threads, right? I posted a photo to my circles, had a comment string on it, can EVERYONE in the circle it was posted to see it or just who I was chatting with?

I'm pretty sure its the latter, but I'm not positive. And then +Jtwo is basically a direct message, right? Nobody else can see that except for the sender and receiver?

Korey

Jtwo said:
I'm pretty sure its the latter, but I'm not positive. And then +Jtwo is basically a direct message, right? Nobody else can see that except for the sender and receiver?
There's no way to tell unless you click on "Limited"

MickD said:
I never got an email invite. I just went to the site and it was open.
Same here. Someone invited me, never got an email, about 30 minutes after the invite I just went to plus.google.com and it let me register.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't be the only one who finds this a little confusing. I just am trying not to apply past logic to it so I don't think of it as something its not.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Terrell said:
Now the only thing that Google+ will need to make my life complete is a feature that Facebook actually removed and didn't replace with anything substantial: a "How We Met/Know Each Other" option

I doubt Google will add that, simply because you don't actually have "friends" on Google+. Instead, you basically "follow" each other, in a fashion more similar to how Twitter works.

Yeah, I really liked the "how we know each other" feature facebook removed ages ago. It used to be featured prominently under each friend. Imagine if you could sort posts on facebook based on that. It would be so much more intuitive. Then facebook by default started to hide that info and now it's totally gone.

Korey

Jtwo said:
I can't be the only one who finds this a little confusing.
You're not the only one.

Messages can be shared with one person, a few people, circles, or the public so you'll have to click "Limited" every time you get a message to see who can also see it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Korey said:
You're not the only one.

Messages can be shared with one person, a few people, circles, or the public so you'll have to click "Limited" every time you get a message to see who can also see it.
Yeah, for direct messages, it'd be better if G+ said "______ shared this post with you" instead of simply "Limited".

kehs

Banned
omg.kittens said:
Yeah, for direct messages, it'd be better if G+ said "______ shared this post with you" instead of simply "Limited".

They do that. They also show up in Notifications section.

Actually...there's to way to send a direct message now that I think about it.

1) add +Username in the share field along with the message and share with no one.

2) Write your message in the share field and share only with +Username

The first will generate "______ mentioned you in a post" in notifications
The second will generate the "_____ share a post with you" in notifications

Either way will result in a notification, as well as a stream post that only you two can see.

wario

really excited to see what's coming next...

excerpt:
I don't think I'm letting anything slip to say things will be changing rapidly and lots of frequently-requested and very cool features are in the pipeline. Those of you who have been on here several days now (the real veterans!) will have already seen some iteration; it'll just continue.

Must... fight... temptation... to... discuss... upcoming... features....
link

Terrell

wario said:
really excited to see what's coming next...

excerpt:

link
Already talking about new features when so many people are clamoring to use it as it exists right now... Yeesh. How about focusing on getting it out of limited trial beta first so people who are dying to use it have the ability to? I'd think that should be a priority, but then again, what do I know?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Terrell said:
Already talking about new features when so many people are clamoring to use it as it exists right now... Yeesh. How about focusing on getting it out of limited trial beta first so people who are dying to use it have the ability to? I'd think that should be a priority, but then again, what do I know?
Why try out new things to a large group of people when you can test on a smaller number? That way, if things are bad, the perception hit is limited to the few?

Is there any way for GAFers to only see my nickname and not my real name? Doesn't seem possible.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Why try out new things to a large group of people when you can test on a smaller number? That way, if things are bad, the perception hit is limited to the few?

Is there any way for GAFers to only see my nickname and not my real name? Doesn't seem possible.

You can sorta do that. You put your alias as your "real name", then your real name as your "other names" and then only allow certain circles to see the "other name", but right now that's only limited to the About portion of the page.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Copernicus said:
You can sorta do that. You put your alias as your "real name", then your real name as your "other names" and then only allow certain circles to see the "other name", but right now that's only limited to the About portion of the page.
Clever. But far too convoluted. And it would change the name of my other Google stuff, like Talk and Gmail.

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Clever. But far too convoluted. And it would change the name of my other Google stuff, like Talk and Gmail.

Saw someone else bring it up, can't remember who though.

I did send feedback for them to allow the multiple "other names" to be assigned specific circles. That would allow people to see both alias and real name depending on circles, as well as the ability to add them in line so it displays everywhere.

On a different note, I decided to spend a few minutes diagramming the difference between G+ and Facebook.

Holy shit facebook is complicated as shit. I spent more than "a few minutes".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
santouras said:
Is there a way to re-order your circles on the left hand side? Seems to be ordered by creation date
They are in defaults then alpha order I believe so if you want something up top you can just add * before it for now. I'm going to file feedback for sortability though.

Terrell

Bboy AJ said:

As opposed to the perception hit that comes from people not being able to interact with their friends and abandoning the service altogether?
I remember what happened with Google Buzz (not to say anything of the several other problems it had, but people stopped using it because no one else was, essentially). No need for a repeat of that. Until they open it up to a wide audience, it will become more likely that people will forget about it and Google will have lost all its launch hype.

Bboy AJ

Terrell said:
As opposed to the perception hit that comes from people not being able to interact with their friends and abandoning the service altogether?
You mean like Facebook?

Terrell

Bboy AJ said:
You mean like Facebook?
Facebook wasn't launched and advertised at the general population. It was a college student service. They opened it up to others afterward.
Google advertised it to the general population right from the get-go, and the majority of people it's intended for, advertised to and who are excited about it can't even use it. Exclusivity isn't always a good idea. Lock people out too long and they'll stop caring.
People are already complaining that Google+ is a ghost town.

Bboy AJ

No doubt I want more of my friends on G+ but dude, it's literally been out for less than a week.

thespot84

Bboy AJ said:
No doubt I want more of my friends on G+ but dude, it's literally been out for less than a week.

and it's still in beta-beta, which means they're testing the interface and likely server load and the like, not google-beta like gmail was for a few years. It'll open up when it's ready...

Everdred

Bboy AJ said:

No there isn't a way, I submitted feedback and you should too!

Bboy AJ

Everdred said:
No there isn't a way, I submitted feedback and you should too!
Completely right and I already did. I've probably submitted 25+ reports already. Let's get on it, GAF!

Terrell

thespot84 said:
and it's still in beta-beta, which means they're testing the interface and likely server load and the like, not google-beta like gmail was for a few years. It'll open up when it's ready...
And in the meantime, every tech blog is talking about how awesome it is and clogging up my RSS feeds. I don't want to hear about something I can't use, just like I wouldn't want to hear a real estate agent try to extoll the virtues of a $5 million mansion I can't afford. It's frustrating beyond belief for those of us who have been BEGGING for a Facebook alternative.
And if you think Facebook won't strike back to prevent their users from defecting now that Google has openly given them the means and opportunity to do so by cutting off the ability for users to defect, then I don't know what to tell you.

kehs

Banned
Facebook can't easily duplicate what Google is doing. They'd have to redo their current setup from the ground up.

They've already shown how they react to a threat.

Bboy AJ

Ah, now I understand why you're so bitter.

Terrell said:
People will update on Facebook because they can ACCESS Facebook. I'm killing myself that I didn't get an invite when it opened up. I'd give my left testicle to use it. And as long as I'm locked out, I'm not going anywhere near Google+ and am forced to resort to Facebook. It's Google's own fault for pushing something out that wasn't ready for primetime.

I have one suggestion to Google... if they want people to migrate away from Facebook, make it so that your posts on Google+ get mirrored on Facebook with a tag at the bottom saying "via Google+". No sacrifice to users making the switch that way, at least in the interim.
Or even better, develop an algorithm that parses the data you download from your Facebook profile so that it can be added wholesale to Google+ so you're also not starting from scratch.

But I can't make these suggestions, cuz I can't access the frickin' service.

Terrell

Bboy AJ said:
Ah, now I understand why you're so bitter.
Yeah, the same reason anyone would be.
I can't think of a single person who doesn't want Facebook dead and to go with a better alternative, and every day that G+ invitations are locked out is one more day that it becomes less and less likely to happen. That should leave a foul taste in everyone's mouth, but it's more prominent among the peasants locked out of the promised land.

Kosmo

Banned
Just looked at a few profiles and really like what I am seeing here. If the invite that was sent to me works out, I'm off Facebook.

Mik2121

Korey said:
You're not the only one.

Why would you? Just care about the message and who sent it. Then reply, and there you go. Even this way, it's more personal than Facebook.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
went to dinner and everyone at the table behind us was talking about G+ and playing in a huddle on their phones hahah

Top Bottom