• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

lethial

Reeeeeeee
btkadams said:
i have google+ and it's completely useless in comparison to fb. fb pages for musicians/websites/brands/etc are the biggest reason i use facebook. i have multiple friends lists (circles) on facebook so i can already share things with only specific people. i really do not get the fuss over google+ other than the obvious advantage that it is going to be more and more integrated with other google services.

This is in the works, there was a screen cap google showed and it's very nice. Unfortunately I don't have the link handy. Obviously not all features have been rolled out yet.

kehs

Banned
btkadams said:
i have google+ and it's completely useless in comparison to fb. fb pages for musicians/websites/brands/etc are the biggest reason i use facebook. i have multiple friends lists (circles) on facebook so i can already share things with only specific people. i really do not get the fuss over google+ other than the obvious advantage that it is going to be more and more integrated with other google services.

They haven't rolled out their groups/fan pages/brands support yet. Currently it's user profiles only, but they will definitely be part of it.

SimleuqiR

btkadams said:

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

As a Google user I rather use G+,
Hell, the app on Android alone trumps the Facebook app (which gets shittier as they update it).

It's too early to completely drop FB though. I just hope that Apple approves the iOS app soon and that there is a Blackberry one on the way. I have way too many people in my family using Blackberries.

btkadams

lethial said:
This is in the works, there was a screen cap google showed and it's very nice. Unfortunately I don't have the link handy. Obviously not all features have been rolled out yet.
i realize that this is still beta and not all the features are there, but they shouldn't have even shown this until it was more caught up to facebook in terms of features. it sucks for google because facebook has had years to get where it is, but you can't act like you can replace a competitor by showing up late to the game with an extremely weaker alternative.

i have faith in google since they're one of my favourite brands in the world, but after buzz and wave, i just don't know if they have any idea why facebook is so popular and why it works with the masses so well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i think you just spend a little time with it and you'll see the differentiating factors. i've enjoyed starting fresh and just the circles concept overall. i know the team is hard at work on tons more features and enhancements too

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
this has probably been posted. checked out BI today and even they were positive about g+ today!

Google+ is increasingly looking like a successful property, and so it's worth learning a few things about how it works.
We missed some of these (in retrospect fairly obvious) tips and tricks so we thought we'd share them with you:

google-plus-cheat-sheet.jpg

kehs

Banned
btkadams said:
i realize that this is still beta and not all the features are there, but they shouldn't have even shown this until it was more caught up to facebook in terms of features. it sucks for google because facebook has had years to get where it is, but you can't act like you can replace a competitor by showing up late to the game with an extremely weaker alternative.

i have faith in google since they're one of my favourite brands in the world, but after buzz and wave, i just don't know if they have any idea why facebook is so popular and why it works with the masses so well.

It's not a facebook replacement, but when you look at the scope of it, the entirety of facebook could fit inside of G+ and then some.

People who should be worried are owners of online communities. I hardly see this mentioned, but Google is basically disassociating forums. It has always been hard to get the data inside of forum communities, so what better way than to bring the content out of the forum?

----

Am I the only one that actually liked stream posts bumping to the top with new content?

btkadams

AstroLad said:
i think you just spend a little time with it and you'll see the differentiating factors. i've enjoyed starting fresh and just the circles concept overall. i know the team is hard at work on tons more features and enhancements too
yup, i'm sure they are. i just feel like they should have done this integration with all of their services a long time ago with your google account. google+ shouldn't be a new service. it should have been the evolution of google accounts IMO. it would've made more sense to people that their google contacts would (after an update) ask you to sort them into circles/groups. maybe then it wouldn't seem like they were trying to replace facebook, but that they were evolving their own service and could eventually top facebook through steady evolution.

i suck at typing today, damn.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
btkadams said:

Remember that the invites are still really closed off - the sort of people who got in are the sort of people who appreciate what a beta is for - learning and changing and growing as a product. Before this is completely open, it will be on a more even footing than facebook - they've already talked about how they have a ton of user-suggested additions in the pipeline that will be hitting extremely soon - and that they seem excited about.

I'm a patient guy, and facebook is something I've only just recently forced myself to get into, with an alternative, I will be happy.

quick question - any way to simplify the linking of a google+ profile to someone who is already in my google contacts list?

example: my buddy ches. i have his email address, so i added his email to a circle, sent him a message, he clicked, and boom, he was in google+. i got a notification that my buddy ches added me to a circle of his. sweet, i reciprocated. only now i had ches on google+ in my friends circle, and i also had my buddy ches 'sharing via email only' in my friends circle. wtf mate?

or my sister in law. did the same email sharing thing, got her in. now when i go to the circles page and type her name in, i get both her name 'sharing via email only' as well as her name 'her google+ profile' - both of which are in my circle. confusing.

kehs

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
quick question - any way to simplify the linking of a google+ profile to someone who is already in my google contacts list?

example: my buddy ches. i have his email address, so i added his email to a circle, sent him a message, he clicked, and boom, he was in google+. i got a notification that my buddy ches added me to a circle of his. sweet, i reciprocated. only now i had ches on google+ in my friends circle, and i also had my buddy ches 'sharing via email only' in my friends circle. wtf mate?

That's up to him, if he links them inside of his profile it will combine on your end.

Copernicus said:
That's up to him, if he links them inside of his profile it will combine on your end.

ahhh ok. gotcha. theres no way for me to manually link them on my end?

edit: this is weird. i went to contacts.google.com

i looked up my sister in law. her contact has her non-gmail email address, as always, but also has a link to a google.com/profiles page that, when clicks, 404 dies.

kehs

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
ahhh ok. gotcha. theres no way for me to manually link them on my end?

Don't believe so, you can always just remove that email address from the circle suggestions.

survivor

Banned
I don't know how they are going to do that or if they have discussed doing it at all, but they need a way to differentiate friend requests from people who you want to be friends with and random strangers following you. I imagine it's nearly impossible for famous people right now to find friend requests from their real friends.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kaboom that's interesting -- you should file some feedback, though i do know that making reciprocation and adding people even easier was on the to-do list from a couple days ago

Enco

survivor said:
I don't know how they are going to do that or if they have discussed doing it at all, but they need a way to differentiate friend requests from people who you want to be friends with and random strangers following you. I imagine it's nearly impossible for famous people right now to find friend requests from their real friends.
They can easily do it by saying 'XXX is now following you' if XXX adds someone to their following circle. It could be the one circle that is made public. If it's another circle, it could just say 'XXX has added you'.

edit: Not that it's a big issue anyway

kehs

Banned
survivor said:

They're not friend requests.

You would only add someone to a circle that you want to, be it either from their email address (you know who they are), or from seeing them post something (you have something in common).

Circles are closer to followers than they are to friends or friend lists.

Jeels

Copernicus said:
http://www.quora.com/Yishan-Wong/How-Google+-Shows-That-Google-Still-Doesnt-Understand-Social

This is such a weird article.

Korey, did you write it? =D

This is one of the issues that I think is causing confusion.. Facebook has two definition of what public means. Public to the world, and public to your friends. Because of this, people are bugging out bout their posts actually being public to the world, when all they want to do was share with just a certain group of people.

Which leads to their second point:

and my reaction:

wut?

If you share something with the public and allow public responses why would it not be perfectly normal for anyone who comes across to comment on it?

Apparently some people like the idea of being faux-exhibitionism, they want to broadcast eveything, but also want to reserve the right to not allow people to look directly at them.

If you don't want people to comment or participate in a conversation, don't include them in the conversation. I'm not sure why that particular concept seems foreign to some people. By broadcasting something, you are saying "I want you to participate on some level", however what people apparently want to say is "I want you to watch this, but keep quiet cause us grown folk are talking".

And all of the reasons you stated are what's wrong with the Facebook generation.

jvalioli

survivor said:
I'm sure famous people know their real friends names so I imagine they would just add them the same way that their friends are adding them.

Enco

I'm currently going through fb and getting rid of posts/pictures that I have no need to be on there.

If some people I want to stay in contact with don't sign up to G+, I'll just add their emails and they'll get pictures etc sent to them. A brilliant feature that 1 ups fb.

SimleuqiR

This is HUGE!!
This should go on the OP!!

http://mashable.com/2011/07/05/google-blogger-picasa-rebranding

Say goodbye to the Picasa and Blogger names: Google intends to retire several non-Google name brands and rename them as Google products, Mashable has learned.

The move is part of a larger effort to unify its brand for the public launch of Google+, the search giant’s social initiative.

Like some of you have said....Blogging will be replaced by G+~

Enco

Awesome news.

I welcome our Google overlords (I love the word Google).

A new thread can probably be made.

edit: Mashable has been told to expect the public debut of Google+ on or before July 31

saelz8

Edit. Beaten!

Google to Retire Blogger & Picasa Brands in Google+ Push

The move is part of a larger effort to unify its brand for the public launch of Google+, the search giant’s social initiative.

Blogger and Picasa aren’t going away, of course — they’re two of Google’s most popular products. Instead, according to two sources familiar with the matter, Google intends to rename Picasa “Google Photos” and Blogger will become “Google Blogs.” Several other Google brands are likely to be affected, though our sources made it clear that YouTube would not be rebranded. The technology giant shut down Google Video, its failed web video service, in May.

The move isn’t without precedent; Google acquired JotSpot in 2006 and rebranded it as Google Sites in 2008. In 2007, Google acquired VOIP platform GrandCentral and relaunched it as Google Voice in 2009.

Picasa and Blogger were also Google acquisitions, although both companies have been part of the Google empire for far longer. Picasa was acquired in 2004 and Blogger (co-founded by Evan Williams of Twitter) was acquired in 2003 and is one of the top 10 most visited websites in the world. Although the rebranding could upset some existing customers, it also gives Google the ability to completely integrate both services into Google+.

Rebranding Coming in Next Six Weeks

The transition from Picasa and Blogger to Google Photos and Google Blogs will occur “in a month to a month and a half,” we’ve been told. The date aligns with the likely public launch of Google+. Mashable has been told to expect the public debut of Google+ on or before July 31. The date is important because it’s the day all private Google Profiles will be deleted.

We believe Google doesn’t want to have private profiles after the public Google+ launch. Instead, the company is likely to encourage users who want more privacy to use Circles to curate their friend groups.

The brand unification effort will be the largest in company history — it’s never renamed a property as large as Blogger. The popular blog creation service has been receiving a lot of extra love recently. In March, Google announced that Blogger would receive a major overhaul. We doubt many people expected that the overhaul would include a rebranding, though.

Google+ makes perfect sense for Blogger and Picasa — they are both social products that improve as more people use them. It’s important to note that Google+ already has a photos feature, a product that we believe utilizes Picasa technology. It’s also important to note that Google+’s photo feature has no Picasa branding of any kind.

Source

Looks like it may be another month until G+ opens, if they want to coincide with re-branding.

Enco

I shouldn't be as excited for this as I am haha.

Hopefully the launch will see plenty of my friends coming over from Facebook so I can never go there again. Something tells me most people (well from my friends list) won't be moving though. Hope I'm wrong.

kehs

Banned
The transition from Picasa and Blogger to Google Photos and Google Blogs will occur “in a month to a month and a half,” we’ve been told. The date aligns with the likely public launch of Google+. Mashable has been told to expect the public debut of Google+ on or before July 31. The date is important because it’s the day all private Google Profiles will be deleted.

Public profiles

The purpose of Google Profiles is to enable you to manage your online identity. Today, nearly all Google Profiles are public. We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

Keep in mind that your full name and gender are the only required information that will be displayed on your profile; you’ll be able to edit or remove any other information that you don’t want to share.

If you currently have a private profile but you do not wish to make your profile public, you can delete your profile. Or, you can simply do nothing. All private profiles will be deleted after July 31, 2011.

Google is turning everyone out.

Enco

Copernicus said:
And by profiles I'm pretty sure they mean the old profiles (non G+) that very few people use.

G+ is replacing profiles and that's where you can have your privacy.

edit: Actually, I'm not so sure. Either way, your name and gender is hardly a big issue.

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:

Enco said:
And by profiles I'm pretty sure they mean the old profiles (non G+) that very few people use.

G+ is replacing profiles and that's where you can have your privacy.

Hence why some people that had vanity profiles before joining G+ retained those vanity links on G+.

As soon as you joined G+ your old profile was converted over.

more frustrating things:

so im trying to do some photo stuff. google+ wont let you re-order photo albums there, you've gotta go do it apparently on picasaweb.google.com

so thats #1

#2: people tagging. holy shit. so in my picasa, i've got people albums, and those are synced to my google contacts. back and forth they go. so i've got a photo of me. if i tag it with me in picasa, then sync the album, picasaweb sees me @my email address, and tags me as me. only that version of me, despite being the EXACT SAME gmail address as my google+ account, isn't 'me' in google plus. if instead, i tag myself while on picasaweb, it'll create a link w/my google+ account, and yay. but that won't sync back down to picasa, and so "i" am not in that photo according my local picasa.

confused yet? it gets better.

for some odd reason, even if i don't tag me in a photo or two, i synced those up to picasaweb, and boom, it thinks it is me, but uses my buddy adam's name and email address, and then if i open picasa on my computer again, the people album says it's adam, not me. if i change this on picasa to reflect me, sync...nope, reverts back to adam. delete web version, clear local version, try again? buddy adam.

it seems there are some massive bugs between tagging and tagging and tagging among the various google photo things, even though they ALL ARE USING THE EXACT SAME PHOTO, pushed to picasa web. confusing and frustrating as heck.

one more thing: any way to turn off 'X has been tagged in a photo' posts in the stream? or more specifically, having it ALWAYS post that if i've been tagged? i cant find that setting anywhere, and frankly, as i've tagged myself like 7 times now in the same photo trying to get this work im getting sick of having to go and delete the auto-post it makes.

edit: and i just went to my 'people' in picasaweb, apparently now "i" am "adam" even though it has my name and full name, click me and it has my name/full name then adam then his email address, and puts me in photos im not even in. something is seriously messed up somewhere.

edit2: omg it's like a fucking virus. it is now saying other people are adam, but they aren't, they are friends. google+ still has them tagged properly, but picasaweb doesnt, and it is bringing it's weird bullshit people tagging back down into my real picasa. what in gods name.

bengraven

Anyone cool on Google+ yet? Devs, news types, writers, celebs, whatever?

I've got some friends of mine...and Notch. That's it. lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
really nice detailed overview of the android app over at androidcentral (been updated twice so make sure to grab that)
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-app-review-google?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter

Some notable, maybe more obscure, points:
. . . .
By sliding your Stream to the left, you'll be able to view all the publicly shared posts that were around your location. You might not know any of these folks (chances are you won't), but you'll still be able to see their stuff because they've made it public. Google+ will automatically determine a rough location even if you're not using GPS, so don't expect to see people's posts from another city.

Another part of the location feature is the ability to check-in places, straight through Google+. It's not Foursquare, Gowalla, nor Facebook Places, but it's own, independent location-sharing component. To do so, press the check icon from your Streams menu and you'll be taken to another screen with locations you're close to.
. . . .
Instant Upload is an option in the settings menu that gives you the opportunity to have any picture you take on your phone instantly uploaded to a private album attached to your Google+ account, so not only is it already in the cloud, it's one click away from sharing with your cohorts. A few of us demoed it the first night we got into Google+ and it works really well.
. . . .
Huddle is one of Google+'s absolutely killer features. It's definitely Google Talk on steroids, and I like it. You can have a list of Huddle's up to choose from, depending on who has invited you to one, but I haven't been able to test if you can actively participate in more than one Huddle at a time.

The idea behind Huddle is that you're huddled with a group of friends (how deep!), so the things you're all talking about are between only you. The other assumption is that you're only mobile when you do this, because there's no web side to Huddle; you can only do it on your phones.

lots of "cool" or at least notable tech people
-leo laporte
-mark pincus
-mg siegler
-larry lessig
-steven levy
-jeff jarvis
-kevin rose
-om malik
-sarah lane

SimleuqiR

So when multiple people post/reply to your post in your stream, their profile pics are stacked up, and expand when you hover over them. They're stacked for oldest to latest post/reply. Is this new? You only see this in the "Notifications" area of G+.

ghostmind

bengraven said:

I can't find even one friend of mine that is in yet. I think I need some new friends.

I have a bunch of tech "personalities"... and Notch. lol

kehs

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
more frustrating things:

so im trying to do some photo stuff. google+ wont let you re-order photo albums there, you've gotta go do it apparently on picasaweb.google.com

so thats #1

#2: people tagging. holy shit. so in my picasa, i've got people albums, and those are synced to my google contacts. back and forth they go. so i've got a photo of me. if i tag it with me in picasa, then sync the album, picasaweb sees me @my email address, and tags me as me. only that version of me, despite being the EXACT SAME gmail address as my google+ account, isn't 'me' in google plus. if instead, i tag myself while on picasaweb, it'll create a link w/my google+ account, and yay. but that won't sync back down to picasa, and so "i" am not in that photo according my local picasa.

confused yet? it gets better.

for some odd reason, even if i don't tag me in a photo or two, i synced those up to picasaweb, and boom, it thinks it is me, but uses my buddy adam's name and email address, and then if i open picasa on my computer again, the people album says it's adam, not me. if i change this on picasa to reflect me, sync...nope, reverts back to adam. delete web version, clear local version, try again? buddy adam.

it seems there are some massive bugs between tagging and tagging and tagging among the various google photo things, even though they ALL ARE USING THE EXACT SAME PHOTO, pushed to picasa web. confusing and frustrating as heck.

one more thing: any way to turn off 'X has been tagged in a photo' posts in the stream? or more specifically, having it ALWAYS post that if i've been tagged? i cant find that setting anywhere, and frankly, as i've tagged myself like 7 times now in the same photo trying to get this work im getting sick of having to go and delete the auto-post it makes.

edit: and i just went to my 'people' in picasaweb, apparently now "i" am "adam" even though it has my name and full name, click me and it has my name/full name then adam then his email address, and puts me in photos im not even in. something is seriously messed up somewhere.

edit2: omg it's like a fucking virus. it is now saying other people are adam, but they aren't, they are friends. google+ still has them tagged properly, but picasaweb doesnt, and it is bringing it's weird bullshit people tagging back down into my real picasa. what in gods name.

You need to fix the local picasa first. That's the one that everything else takes cue from. Once you do that, resync to picasaweb. Picasaweb will then push out to G+.

saelz8

This is pretty slick.

Plusbar adds a streaming media player to Google+

One sign that Google+ has a bright future ahead of it is that developers are starting to hack together improvements to the service before an official API is available. One such example is Plusbar.

This enhancement to Google+ adds an audio and video media player to the top of your stream. At present, it offers Amazing Radio, DFH Radio, Grooveshark, BBC News and TWiT livestream options in a manner so neatly-presented that it looks like it was designed by Google as an integral part of the service.

Sure, it would be nice to have more options for stations, but seeing as UK-based developer Kosso has pulled this together in a matter of days, it’s damn fine work. If like us, you’re spending a little too much time in Google+ at the moment, having an integrated media player might be just the ticket, and even if it isn’t, it’s a great indication of how Google+ might inspire developers in the future.

Source

Plusbar

Video

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ghostmind said:
I can't find even one friend of mine that is in yet. I think I need some new friends.

I have a bunch of tech "personalities"... and Notch. lol
i have like 20 people, mostly close friends, waiting for invites from me. gooooo floodgates

Copernicus said:
You need to fix the local picasa first. That's the one that everything else takes cue from. Once you do that, resync to picasaweb. Picasaweb will then push out to G+.

local picasa was perfect!

i had people perfect. perfect. i didnt ever put anything on picasaweb, because i never felt the need to. google+ uses picasa web, so i was like...i'll just upload via picasa - makes everything easier.

so i put 11 pictures up...2 of them had 'me' tagged. then picasaweb was like, nope, not you, we're gonna pull a name out of our ass and put your buddies email address/name associated with your tag on picasaweb. i was like wtf? and lo and behold, it was pushed back down to picasa local, messing up that album.

so i killed both the web album and the faces tags in the local album, and stopped the web sync function. ok. lets try again, this time...i'll just tag online. so i pushed the album up sans people tags, and tagged using picasa web. tagging just me. that worked, but it didnt push my google+ associated tag back down. then shit just went to hell.

fucking hell. i have no idea wtf has happened. i literally just said 'fuck it', went through all my people albums and deleted them in local picasa, and went through all my people contacts and unchecked the 'sync with google contacts and picasaweb' and turned off faces/etc. all my photos also have a text tag with peoples names in them, and always have. shit literally just began collapsing the moment i sent a perfectly good copy of 11 pictures with 2 name tags up to picasaweb. absolute hell. and then it got sent back and started trying to change my local picasa people tags to their messed up versions. fuck that.

kehs

Banned
Terrell said:
If you ask people here, they'd tell you it will never happen. I could see it though. Maybe not right away though.

Is apple still using the "don't duplicate functionality" clause for apps?

If they are, then it'll never make it out since iOS5 does the camera roll sync.

kkaabboomm said:
local picasa was perfect!

i had people perfect. perfect. i didnt ever put anything on picasaweb, because i never felt the need to. google+ uses picasa web, so i was like...i'll just upload via picasa - makes everything easier.

so i put 11 pictures up...2 of them had 'me' tagged. then picasaweb was like, nope, not you, we're gonna pull a name out of our ass and put your buddies email address/name associated with your tag on picasaweb. i was like wtf? and lo and behold, it was pushed back down to picasa local, messing up that album.

so i killed both the web album and the faces tags in the local album, and stopped the web sync function. ok. lets try again, this time...i'll just tag online. so i pushed the album up sans people tags, and tagged using picasa web. tagging just me. that worked, but it didnt push my google+ associated tag back down. then shit just went to hell.

fucking hell. i have no idea wtf has happened. i literally just said 'fuck it', went through all my people albums and deleted them in local picasa, and went through all my people contacts and unchecked the 'sync with google contacts and picasaweb' and turned off faces/etc. all my photos also have a text tag with peoples names in them, and always have. shit literally just began collapsing the moment i sent a perfectly good copy of 11 pictures with 2 name tags up to picasaweb. absolute hell. and then it got sent back and started trying to change my local picasa people tags to their messed up versions. fuck that.

wow. I think when the web tag pushed down to the local tag all you had to do was fix the local tag and it would have fixed the web tag. Last I checked local takes precedence. If there's no tag though, then which ever version has a tag will propagate out. (In this case you tagged online first)

When that happened your local DB with the face tag got false data and that's why your other stuff started getting retagged. (Look at your people db and remove any incorrect tags to fix it.)

Copernicus said:

wow. I think when the web tag pushed down to the local tag all you had to do was fix the local tag and it would have fixed the web tag. Last I checked local takes precedence. If there's no tag though, then which ever version has a tag will propagate out.

When that happened your local DB with the face tag got false data and that's why your other stuff started getting retagged. (Look at your people db and remove any incorrect tags to fix it.)

nope. every time i went and changed the local tag from Adam to me, it synced, and bam, changed back to adam. over and over and over.

so i started over. heres something awesome - THERE ARE NO MORE PEOPLE TAGS in my local picasa. but get this: i just uploaded a photo of me. no tag. yay! went into google+, tagged me, yay! it is me! google+ thinks so, etc. however, i go to picasaweb. i click the album with the photo i uploaded from picasa. it's there. i'm tagged in it on the right under 'people in this album' and it shows where i was tagged and my name. yay! MY NAME.

but. if i click that. it goes to picasaweb, people-> ADAM and shows my picture. then it shows where i was tagged. What. The. Holy. Fuck.

this is unbelievable.

Ea9Os.png

kehs

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
nope. every time i went and changed the local tag from Adam to me, it synced, and bam, changed back to adam. over and over and over.

so i started over. heres something awesome - THERE ARE NO MORE PEOPLE TAGS in my local picasa. but get this: i just uploaded a photo of me. no tag. yay! went into google+, tagged me, yay! it is me! google+ thinks so, etc. however, i go to picasaweb. i click the album with the photo i uploaded from picasa. it's there. i'm tagged in it on the right under 'people in this album' and it shows where i was tagged and my name. yay! MY NAME.

but. if i click that. it goes to picasaweb, people-> ADAM and shows my picture. then it shows where i was tagged. What. The. Holy. Fuck.

this is unbelievable.

holy shit. ....Send some feedback telling them their shit is all fucked, cause it sounds fucked.

I found this, which might be related:

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=112773

Terrell

Copernicus said:

It's tough to argue it duplicates functionality when it uses a completely separate online service to sync.
But the point is moot, since "duplicate functionality" restrictions haven't been a major issue lately. You can get alternate browsers to Safari nowadays for instance.

Copernicus said:
holy shit. ....Send some feedback telling them their shit is all fucked, cause it sounds fucked.

I found this, which might be related:

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=112773

yeah, i just added a pic to illustrate. my picasa people used to be 100% synced with google contacts (until about 30 minutes ago.) anyways, it all used to be completely in sync, perfectly. if i uploaded a pic of someone tagged (rare, but still), it used to be tagged just fine in the picasa web version too. now it thinks I am my buddy adam for some ungodly reason and even after i've deleted all "faces" and "people" from local picasa, and unsynced picasa people from contacts, as to keep local picasa isolated, it still infects shit.

edit: another fun thing: i go and tag myself in google+. it tags me, picasaweb thinks i'm adam. whatever. i go to google+ and delete the tag. picasaweb thinks i, as adam, am still in the 'album' - which only has one photo. clicking the photo says no one is there.

if, in picasa web i add myself - it links it back to google+. and then proceeds to call me adam again inside picasaweb. shit is messed up. i give up for now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MentallyCritical said:
is there a gaf circle that i can be a part of ?

That's not how it works. Circles are not "groups" which you join, they are just a way for you to privately organize people so that you can share stuff with or view updates by just the people in one of the circles you've created. Nobody else can see your circles, and they can't "join" them - you put whoever you want in any circle you want.

Kosmo said:
Hmm, OK, I'm guessing once it goes public they will have an iPhone App - no reason not to.

There's gonna be an iPhone app, but it most likely won't have Instant Upload. Pretty sure Apple wouldn't let them do that. (Don't they have their own similar thing?)

survivor said:

There are no "friend requests", because there are no "friends". Again, you just add whoever you want to your circles. If you add someone but he doesn't add you, you'll only be able to read his public posts (pretty much like following someone on Twitter). If he adds you back, you'll also be able to read posts he shares with you and/or the circle(s) he's added you to.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also when you add someone they get a notification that also gives them the option to add you to their own circles, so reciprocity is really easy. Although supposedly they'll be tweaking this even further. But yes by design the circles concept is completely different.

kehs

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
yeah, i just added a pic to illustrate. my picasa people used to be 100% synced with google contacts (until about 30 minutes ago.) anyways, it all used to be completely in sync, perfectly. if i uploaded a pic of someone tagged (rare, but still), it used to be tagged just fine in the picasa web version too. now it thinks I am my buddy adam for some ungodly reason and even after i've deleted all "faces" and "people" from local picasa, and unsynced picasa people from contacts, as to keep local picasa isolated, it still infects shit.

edit: another fun thing: i go and tag myself in google+. it tags me, picasaweb thinks i'm adam. whatever. i go to google+ and delete the tag. picasaweb thinks i, as adam, am still in the 'album' - which only has one photo. clicking the photo says no one is there.

if, in picasa web i add myself - it links it back to google+. and then proceeds to call me adam again inside picasaweb. shit is messed up. i give up for now.

Just change your name to adam, its what google wants.

(It might just be a browser cache issue btw...)

Top Bottom