• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Korey said:
Who said I "want" Google+ to fail?

You may not have said it using those words, but pretty much everything you've posted in this thread sure gives that impression.

Lesiroth said:
How did you guys get in so easily? :(

It was a lot easier to get in the first day or two.

Lesiroth

RoadHazard said:
You may not have said it using those words, but pretty much everything you've posted in this thread sure gives that impression.

It was a lot easier to get in the first day or two.
I did get an e-mail invite at the second day, but all it has is a link that says Learn More. So I'm not sure if I'm invited or not.

G + could very well topple FB, eventually. Not saying it will, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened within 5 years. Myspace was on top of the world and anyone would have laughed at the notion that Facebook would usurp it. More and more people I know are getting fed up with FB including myself. I've had plenty of friends deactivate their accounts and I think G + addresses many of the issues. I'll have to wait until I can get in before I can verify this for myself but what you guys have been saying in this thread sounds promising. We'll see if Google listens to what's hurting FB and continues to improve in those areas, or if they start to emulate FB too closely and fall for the same tropes.

Has there been a pattern to when this opens up for more users? Once a week? per day?

7 unique and creative uses for Google+

Because of its simultaneously private and public approach to sharing information, Google+ is an extremely malleable platform, and as it continues to grow, there will be no end to the creative and unique uses for the site. Facebook and Twitter are much more than social networks, and Google+ with its unique method of sharing information can be whatever you want it to be.

In fact, Google+ not only potentially threatens public social networks already in existence, it does away with the need for private social network tools such as Yammer, because you can selectively share information with specific groups of people.

Other than being a social network, Google+ has the potential to become a journal or blog, an educational tool and even a podcasting tool. In no particular order, here are a few creative ways that you can use Google+.

List at the link.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lesiroth said:
I did get an e-mail invite at the second day, but all it has is a link that says Learn More. So I'm not sure if I'm invited or not.

Well... did you click that link? That's what we all (except those who got "proper" invites, I guess) did to get in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
blame space said:
how the hell do i invite people i don't get it
GTFO.

James: I made us a higher res one:

hXpB1.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really want this to work out and Google properties be unified.

Google+ as network sharing base.
Gmail for personal messages.
Calendar for events.
Youtube for videos.
Blogger for self publishing.
Picasa for photo albums.

All separate, doing each job individually in a brilliant way, yet all unified and shared across the Google+ system. It would be so great. Miles and miles beyond Facebook.

I just registered 4 different email addresses using the invite trick where you click through from an email that has a "Read or Comment on ___'s post>>" link. From there, you click "Join Google+" and the actual mini-registration form appears instead of the "Exceeded capacity" message they've had up for days.

If you want to try, now is probably a good time!

Is there a way of doing group messaging, or is writing on your wall and only including the relevant circle the only way? Still trying to figure stuff out.

El Tigre

Zombie James said:
Is there a way of doing group messaging, or is writing on your wall and only including the relevant circle the only way? Still trying to figure stuff out.

I was wondering the same thing...

Tuck

Interface is a little bit less intuitive than I expected.

Couple things
-Can you post on a friends 'Wall'?

-The grey bar at the top (The one with the Google logo in it) should be the same size in all Google products. It isn't, and it is pissing me off.

-In the same bar, the icon for photos and profile should be switched.

-Maybe add a bit more... color... to the interface?

-They should incorporate the chatting system from Google Wave into this. It's great that there is video chat, but they need a way to text chat. Google Wave was great and really intuitive in this regard.

-It doesn't seem like there is any way to send each other private messages. I guess they expect this to be done by email? But that is a little unintuitive.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I am sure things will pop up.

gcubed

Tuck said:
Interface is a little bit less intuitive than I expected.

Couple things

-The grey bar at the top (The one with the Google logo in it) should be the same size in all Google products. It isn't, and it is pissing me off.

-In the same bar, the icon for photos and profile should be switched.

-Maybe add a bit more... color... to the interface?

-They should incorporate the chatting system from Google Wave into this. It's great that there is video chat, but they need a way to text chat. Google Wave was great and really intuitive in this regard.

-It doesn't seem like there is any way to send each other private messages. I guess they expect this to be done by email? But that is a little unintuitive.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I am sure things will pop up.

It uses gchat to text chat, on the left hand side there is a section called chat.

You private message by writing a post and sending it only to that person.

Tuck

gcubed said:
It uses gchat to text chat, on the left hand side there is a section called chat.

You private message by writing a post and sending it only to that person.

Yeah I found that after posting. But I still believe they should switch Google Talk for the Google Wave chatting system. Far superior. Significantly less basic.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't understand the post-it note sort of stuff like on someone's wall. Those frequently turned into half-assed chats. If it's going to be serious, write an email. If it's going to be conversational, have a conversation. If it's something small I need to know, text my phone so I don't miss it. A little note on a wall is the most socially vapid and useless thing.

gcubed

Tuck said:
Yeah I found that after posting. But I still believe they should switch Google Talk for the Google Wave chatting system. Far superior. Significantly less basic.

i dont remember wave chat? it was just wave stuff back and forth? Gtalk is much more featured then that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Tuck said:

No, because there are no "walls". Each user just has a stream of updates, and he/she decides who gets to see each one.

If you want to "target" a specific user, but still make the post public (which I guess would be the point of posting it on his/her "wall"), you could +mention him/her in a public update. I believe that would notify that user that he/she has been mentioned, and other people who follow you will also be able to read it (but won't be notified).

Tuck said:

If you want to share something only with a specific person, only include that person in the field where you select which circles/people you want to share the post with. Only that person will be able to see the post. Pretty much a private message. (You should also disable resharing of the post, if you want to make sure the person you're posting to doesn't share it with anyone else.)

So I guess I should probably keep this page with invite window open anyway for the sake of making sure I still can, even if I don't have people to invite this second?

Top Bottom