• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

I'm loving this already. The moment the floodgates are open I can imagine this getting really huge. Especially because people will not be as hesitant to add family members and those people who they don't want to share every last detail with.

Also has an incredibly clean, fun interface. Almost un-google like in approach, but in a good way.

Didn't see this in the last page: I was able to post something over 50k characters. There seems to be a limit between there and around 100k, but that is a huge limit.

Got in last night using this method. Just had a friend do it. I got a email later that night about 10 hrs or so later but then I just signed up. Worth a shot. This was copy and pasted from another thread on gaf.

1. Go to the circles page
2. Add the email of the person you want to invite to any circle
3. Go back to the home page
4. On the left, under Stream, click on the circle with the email you added
5. Write something in the status box
6. A warning message should pop up asking if you’re aware you’re sending emails to people not on Google+
7. Hit the share button
8. The guy should get an email and click on ‘View or comment on XXX’s post’. It should should ask him to register

Alternatively you can just make a post and in the sharing options, put the emails you want to invite.

Levi

Banned
AstroLad said:
TP3bs.jpg

Facebook is blocking links and uploads of this image now.

LOL.

What bitches.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
VsRobot said:
Facebook is blocking links and uploads of this image now.

LOL.

What bitches.
Really? Ain't that some shit...

Enco

xBerserker said:
Got in last night using this method. Just had a friend do it. I got a email later that night about 10 hrs or so later but then I just signed up. Worth a shot. This was copy and pasted from another thread on gaf.
It's in this threads op ;)

I noticed all the people who added me on Google+ are male. While my previous Facebook friends skewed toward females.

This is extremely anecdotal, but I wonder how well Google+ will appeal to females. Majority of Facebook's users are females. Wherever the females go, the males will follow in real life and online social networks.

marathonfool said:
I noticed all the people who added me on Google+ are male. While my previous Facebook friends skewed toward females.

This is extremely anecdotal, but I wonder how well Google+ will appeal to females. Majority of Facebook's users are females. Wherever the females go, the males will follow in real life and online social networks.

That's probably more the result of the 'bleeding edge' crowd being predominantly male.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It bugs me that in G+ my chat window is on the left and in Gmail the chat window is on the right.

gcubed

marathonfool said:

that could very well be true, but i would assume that until its opened up, males are more likely to be pushing for invites and begging to get in

Jtwo said:
It bugs me that in G+ my chat window is on the left and in Gmail the chat window is on the right.

change your chat window back in gmail, i assume you moved it

eznark

Banned
marathonfool said:

I feel like twitter skews male as well. That's probably because I only use it to follow sports and news.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
change your chat window back in gmail, i assume you moved it
Wait, what?
It's always been on the right side for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To my knowledge I have never seen chat on the left.
I just went to chat settings too and don't see it.

Its ok, I'm actually thinking of just disabling in Gmail, since I use a lot of pinned tabs and don't seen any sense in having chat in two different tabs at the same time.

Jtwo said:
To my knowledge I have never seen chat on the left.
I just went to chat settings too and don't see it.

Its ok, I'm actually thinking of just disabling in Gmail, since I use a lot of pinned tabs and don't seen any sense in having chat in two different tabs at the same time.
You don't see it in settings because it's a Labs feature.

Lol, Jtwo, you seem like a good bloke, but you have a tendency to post before your read and/or think!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I'm really confused here. So its a labs feature.. I guess forgot that.
What does that technically mean, exactly? I thought the labs was just a nice name for weird addons.

How does that explain why its different for me and everyone else?

No, I'm reading.. I think its just that I don't understand what labs actually is.

Alright, I fixed it. I have no idea how that little box got clicked.

When you originally said "its a lab feature" I had no idea what that meant.

K -- I thought you were more familiar with Gmail. There's a lot of good shit in there, by the way, if you haven't check it out. Google Voice player, Docs and Maps previews, and much more.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Ok I'm really confused here. So its a labs feature.. I guess forgot that.
What does that technically mean, exactly? I thought the labs was just a nice name for weird addons.

How does that explain why its different for me and everyone else?

No, I'm reading.. I think its just that I don't understand what labs actually is.

Alright, I fixed it. I have no idea how that little box got clicked.

When you originally said "its a lab feature" I had no idea what that meant.

Labs features, are features in testing. Some may eventually become part of official gmail, some may just get dropped altogether. It's basically opt-in testing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Heres what happened. I'm pretty familiar with gmail.
You said "its labs feature" I thought you were just referring to chat in general. NOT "right side chat"

So when you said "its labs a feature" i thought you just meant chat itself, and didn't understand how that answered my question.

What probably happened is I clicked that little "right side chat" box like 2 years ago while I was drunk and never thought about it again. I just figured thats the way chat was. So I was really confused why mine was different.

Oh yeah, I have all those little video/voice previews on. They're great!

Lesiroth

I'm pretty interested in this, but I want to know if it's even possible to get in. Isn't the service locked for most people, and invites disabled? If so, how are people getting in?

Casp0r

Banned
As much as I love Google, anyone else kind of dreading the divide Google+ is going to bring?

It would have been much better if Google and Facebook teamed together to build a basic social platform, then built their sites on top of that each putting in their own design choices and allowing for a competitive environment but not a fragmented one.

Terrell

Casp0r said:
As much as I love Google, anyone else kind of dreading the divide Google+ is going to bring?

It would have been much better if Google and Facebook teamed together to build a basic social platform, then built their sites on top of that each putting in their own design choices and allowing for a competitive environment but not a fragmented one.
Except your utopian fantasy would never happen. Facebook wouldn't allow it.

Korey

Casp0r said:

There's not going to be much of a divide, everyone is going to stick with Facebook.

I remember a site that was similar to G+ a while ago, it was called Pownce (Wikipedia). It died in a year.

Not saying Google couldn't pull it off, but I don't think the concept is strong enough for it to replace anything.

G+ is more of a microblogging site ala Tumblr/Twitter than it is a social networking site like Facebook.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Monkeylord said:
Had a lot of photo's spread over 2 albums as the limit was 175 pics per album (I think). G+ took the lot with no effort. Not sure what the limit was, but it's above 350 per album.

The limit on Google+ is 1000 photos per album, I've heard. The number of albums is unlimited, and so is the total number of photos you can upload. Not too shabby!

I do however wish that you could have subfolders. The way it is now (completely flat) means that if you have a lot of photos you'll either have folders with massive amounts of photos in them (which makes things hard to find) or very many folders on the same level. My photo folder on my HDD is not organized in a flat hierarchy, so I'm having kind of a hard time uploading my stuff in a neat way (I'd really like to use Picasa/Google+ as an online backup of all my photos).

Another thing I really feel is needed is the ability to share a single photo from a private album. If I upload an album with a few hundred pictures I may not want to share all of them, so I set the album to be private only to me. Then, if I want to share a photo or two from it, I can't do that. I can either share the full album, or nothing from it. The only way to share a single photo seems to be to upload that photo on its own.

Korey said:
There's not going to be much of a divide, everyone is going to stick with Facebook.

Why do you keep posting in this thread, when you so clearly want Google+ to fail?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jamesfrom818 said:
Facebook isn't blocking my new profile picture

<<<<<<<<
Let me get a higher res copy of that. I'm using Astrolad's 'I've moved' one right now.

RoadHazard said:
so is the total number of photos you can upload.
kind of weird currently. because it uses picasaweb (soon to be rebranded google photos), there is a 1GB limit on photo storage.

HOWEVER, any picture smaller than 2048x2048 does NOT go towards the storage limit.

luckily, google+ resizes images you upload through the google+ interface so that the largest edge is 2048, thereby making any photo you upload not count to the storage limit, and thus the total # of photos is 'unlimited'

only they dont. bug I found and reported. if you create a new album when uploading photos, and upload any number of photos at the time of creation, yes, those photos get resized to 2048. if you add photos to an existing album, those do not get resized. how to check?

easy. create new album, upload photo. go to picasaweb.google.com, look at photo there, it'll tell you the dimensions. it'll be resized to max of 2048. now go back to g+ and upload a new photo to the same album. go back to picasaweb, and you'll see that added photo won't have been resized (currently - they're looking into it). this new photo will thus get counted against your 1GB limit (check storage under settings (the gear in the top right) -> storage).

anyways, in theory it'll eventually get fixed and you will have unlimited photo storage, because g+ will resize your photos to a max edge of 2048 any time you upload it. as it's still in closed beta, there are still bugs to be worked out. so fair warning before you go and upload all your photos now...

RoadHazard said:
Another thing I really feel is needed is the ability to share a single photo from a private album.
the single photo sharing thing is being looked into. current situation is/was picasa web albums only having privacy controls down to the album, which is the photo platform g+ uses. they're looking into (will be) moving to a per-photo privacy setting

kehs

Banned
RoadHazard said:
The limit on Google+ is 1000 photos per album, I've heard. The number of albums is unlimited, and so is the total number of photos you can upload. Not too shabby!

I do however wish that you could have subfolders. The way it is now (completely flat) means that if you have a lot of photos you'll either have folders with massive amounts of photos in them (which makes things hard to find) or very many folders on the same level. My photo folder on my HDD is not organized in a flat hierarchy, so I'm having kind of a hard time uploading my stuff in a neat way (I'd really like to use Picasa/Google+ as an online backup of all my photos).

Another thing I really feel is needed is the ability to share a single photo from a private album. If I upload an album with a few hundred pictures I may not want to share all of them, so I set the album to be private only to me. Then, if I want to share a photo or two from it, I can't do that. I can either share the full album, or nothing from it. The only way to share a single photo seems to be to upload that photo on its own.

Why do you keep posting in this thread, when you so clearly want Google+ to fail?

They've only put a very small portion of their picasa capability in to G+, when they finally add everything tags/geo/albums/cross albums/etc, you'll forget about folders and sub folders.

Bboy AJ said:
Let me get a higher res copy of that. I'm using Astrolad's 'I've moved' one right now.

I got it off Tom (Myspace). I don't know if there's a higher res version out there. Tineye hasn't found one yet.

I+was+on+google%252B+before+it+was+open+for+everyone.png

gcubed

kkaabboomm said:
kind of weird currently. because it uses picasaweb (soon to be rebranded google photos), there is a 1GB limit on photo storage.

HOWEVER, any picture smaller than 2048x2048 does NOT go towards the storage limit.

luckily, google+ resizes images you upload through the google+ interface so that the largest edge is 2048, thereby making any photo you upload not count to the storage limit, and thus the total # of photos is 'unlimited'

only they dont. bug I found and reported. if you create a new album when uploading photos, and upload any number of photos at the time of creation, yes, those photos get resized to 2048. if you add photos to an existing album, those do not get resized. how to check?

easy. create new album, upload photo. go to picasaweb.google.com, look at photo there, it'll tell you the dimensions. it'll be resized to max of 2048. now go back to g+ and upload a new photo to the same album. go back to picasaweb, and you'll see that added photo won't have been resized (currently - they're looking into it). this new photo will thus get counted against your 1GB limit (check storage under settings (the gear in the top right) -> storage).

anyways, in theory it'll eventually get fixed and you will have unlimited photo storage, because g+ will resize your photos to a max edge of 2048 any time you upload it. as it's still in closed beta, there are still bugs to be worked out. so fair warning before you go and upload all your photos now...

the single photo sharing thing is being looked into. current situation is/was picasa web albums only having privacy controls down to the album, which is the photo platform g+ uses. they're looking into (will be) moving to a per-photo privacy setting

They actually made it a bit better to purchase space, you can now get 20gb of google storage (shared among products above the free quota) for 5 a year. Much better then previously

RoadHazard

Gold Member
kkaabboomm said:

Oh, good to know...

However, even if you happen to fill up your free storage through this bug, you can still continue uploading photos. Because even when uploading through Picasa, photos will be downsized if your storage is full. So you won't run into the situation where you can't upload any more photos, you just won't be able to upload any more full-res ones.

kkaabboomm said:

Yeah, I figured it was because of Picasa's privacy control limitations. But if they're working on making it possible, great!

gcubed said:
They actually made it a bit better to purchase space, you can now get 20gb of google storage (shared among products above the free quota) for 5 a year. Much better then previously

That's nice. What products share this space? Anything other than Picasa and Docs?

By the way, I think the free 1GB you get is somewhat pathetic. I have a free 10GB Dropbox account. Sure, it was only 2GB when I first got it, but by inviting people and participating in some events I've managed to increase my free space by 5x. Can Google - this huge company - really not even match the 2GB a basic free Dropbox account offers?

Top Bottom