• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Korey

Dice said:
I don't understand the post-it note sort of stuff like on someone's wall. Those frequently turned into half-assed chats. If it's going to be serious, write an email. If it's going to be conversational, have a conversation. If it's something small I need to know, text my phone so I don't miss it. A little note on a wall is the most socially vapid and useless thing.
Because every interaction with your friends has to be serious or deeply thought out right? There's no room in this world for a quick, casual hello or chit chat!!!!!

The lack of a wall is one of Google+'s flaws. Your profile is completely static and if someone's looking at it, there's no way for them to interact with you from there. They have to go to the "sharing area", type out a message, and specifically name you as the recipient. And the only place you see it is in your news feed.

Tuck

Korey said:
Because every interaction with your friends has to be serious or deeply thought out right? There's no room in this world for a quick, casual hello or chit chat!!!!!

The lack of a wall is one of Google+'s flaws. Your profile is completely static and if someone's looking at it, there's no way for them to interact with you from there. They have to go to the "sharing area", type out a message, and specifically name you as the recipient. And the only place you see it is in your news feed.

I agree with this. One of Facebook's best 'features' is the wall. It is meant to be a bulletin board of communication.

JackEtc

What's the best overview video on Youtube about Google+? I wanna post a facebook status that is telling people I can invite them, and I want to attach a video explaining what it is. I know there is a few user made videos, which one do you guys think is the best?

kehs

Banned
Korey said:

Stop talking.

eznark

Banned
Korey said:

I hope you and your tween friends stick with facebook

Samus4145

Korey said:

You seem like the person texting/talking on the phone during a movie?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Korey said:
I see you need help understanding what I said. I'm not sure if anyone has explained this to you, but "conversation" and "chat" are synonyms. If you're not going to chat but plan to simply leave a useless bullshit message, there is still room in the world for that, but a website that saves them all is not it. Phone texts really are best for disposable sentiments. At least then you know the person actually thought of talking to you rather than just happened across something you did while dicking around on a social site.

BTW you're talking to someone who ditched Facebook because it was socially worthless and hasn't regretted it for a second.

No, it's wonderful. A profile page should just be an info board about you. Combining profile page and communication feed across different social connections is the source of most of the problems Facebook is dealing with. They have made an environment where the social dynamics play out like a party where everyone has a megaphone. What Google is trying to do is make a party that is like a normal party. Once you actually get used to interacting with others like a grown person I'm sure you'll prefer it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Where the hell did this thing pull photos from? I had an album already uploaded from somewhere after I signed up and I'm not even sure where it came from. Wouldn't mind but I do model photography and it grabbed a folder filled with naked girls which I'm sure isn't allowed...

Tuck

Darkness said:
Where the hell did this thing pull photos from? I had an album already uploaded from somewhere after I signed up and I'm not even sure where it came from. Wouldn't mind but I do model photography and it grabbed a folder filled with naked girls which I'm sure isn't allowed...

Picassa? That's the only place I can think they'd get your photos from.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Darkness said:
Hahaha, it might be Picasa.

kehs

Banned
Darkness said:

Your picasa album tied to the account you signed up with.

eznark

Banned
Darkness said:

Picassa, when I logged in it added hundreds of photos...and I had no idea where they came from.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Darkness said:
Picasa. Can you share the photos with us?

Korey

Dice said:
I see you need help understanding what I said. I'm not sure if anyone has explained this to you, but "conversation" and "chat" are synonyms. If you're not going to chat but plan to simply leave a useless bullshit message, there is still room in the world for that, but a website that saves them all is not it. Phone texts really are best for disposable sentiments. At least then you know the person actually thought of talking to you rather than just happened across something you did while dicking around on a social site.
This basically proves that you have literally zero grasp of why Facebook is popular or why millions of people like to use it.

Because they like to keep tabs on people in their lives past and present without having to commit to or maintain any sort of formal relationship with them. Facebook facilitates discovery. Google+ doesn't.

It's fine if you're antisocial and believe that every form of communication between two people has to be like, for a reason or serious or deep or thoughtful, but in the real world there's actually room for lots of different degrees of casual messaging. Just like there are different degrees of "friends" in the world.

There's tons of people in people's lives that you wouldn't text but wouldn't hesitate leaving a small note on their wall. Old high school friends, college friends, old coworkers, cousins, etc.

Toddler said:
Well, you don't have to spam your Stream to invite anymore:

z9Q5i.jpg
Fuck yeah, I invited some bros

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
The ignore list still leaves residue "korey is on your ignore list click here to view nonsensical shit"
Think of it like you shit your pants.
It helps to change your briefs even if you can't wipe your ass.

Hurmun

Neo Member
I'm really diggin' Google+. It's super addicting for some reason(maybe because it's new). I love how notifications work and the sparks feature is pretty neat.

I wish there was Gmail notifications though(unless I'm missing something..)If that were the case, then I'd definitely begin to use this significantly more and not juggle between windows.

The Lamp

Samus4145 said:
You seem like the person texting/talking on the phone during a movie?

What the hell is with people's overreactions today?

If what they say is true, I'd say it sounds like they're right. G+ needs a wall-like feature like that, hopefully different and unique on its own, like facebook's wall feature was at the time.

Dice

Korey said:
This basically proves that you have literally zero grasp of why Facebook is popular or why people like to use it.
There is a difference between not grasping and not agreeing with a certain way of living.

Because they like to keep tabs on people in their lives past and present without having to commit to or maintain any sort of formal relationship with them. Facebook facilitates discovery. Google+ doesn't.
This "keeping tabs" by any person you may have met or even simply knows you through a mutual acquaintance is exactly why so many complain about the complicated privacy dynamics of managing their Facebook accounts. Not only is it useless voyeurism if you partake in it, it's annoying at best and damned creepy at worst if it is directed your way. The only time it would be really desired is if some girl you like was checking you out, but wouldn't you rather she did something more direct? Yeah, yeah you would. This is what I meant by socializing like a grown person.

It's fine if you're antisocial and believe that every form of communication between two people has to be like, for a reason or serious or deep or thoughtful, but in the real world there's actually room for lots of different degrees of casual messaging. Just like there are different degrees of "friends" in the world.
Wanting to meaningfully share oneself with others is antisocial... okaaaay.

There's tons of people in people's lives that you wouldn't text but wouldn't hesitate leaving a small note on their wall. Old high school friends, college friends, old coworkers, cousins, etc.
A facade. Worthless noise and baggage. I'm not sure if you were a grown social person before the internet existed, but it is really wonderful when the way people interact with you accurately represents their current role in your life. The congruity keeps things to the scale a single person can live up to, keeps the heart focused rather than scattered, keeps investments meaningful and impactful, and keeps community strong. We are meant to come and go from each other, we are meant to carry only a couple handfuls along with us on our ways. If we can accurately model the internet to the nature of humanity it is better.

kehs

Banned
The Lamp said:
What the hell is with people's overreactions today?

If what they say is true, I'd say it sounds like they're right. G+ needs a wall-like feature like that, hopefully different and unique on its own, like facebook's wall feature was at the time.

Korey is wrong about everything he has said about G+.

Like...everything.

kehs

Banned
The Lamp said:
:( Well if only I had an invite...

edit:nevermind, invites gone.

Looks like Google just cleared some cache or rebooted their G+ servers, I'm getting notifications about stuff from a while back.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the notifications from G+ are driving me up a wall.
Its really soured me on the experience.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dice said:

A facade. Worthless noise and baggage. I'm not sure if you were a grown social person before the internet existed, but it is really wonderful when the way people interact with you accurately represents their current role in your life. The congruity keeps things to the scale a single person can live up to, keeps the heart focused rather than scattered, keeps investments meaningful and impactful, and keeps community strong. We are meant to come and go from each other, we are meant to carry only a couple handfuls along with us on our ways. If we can accurately model the internet to the nature of humanity it is better.

In the 18th century, people believed that a person would die at speeds of more than 100mph. In the 13th century, people thought diseases were caused by magic.

Korey

Dice said:
There is a difference between not grasping and not agreeing with a certain way of living.

Wanting to meaningfully share oneself with others is antisocial... okaaaay.

"Before the internet" you probably lost contact with nearly everyone you went to school with the moment you graduated. I don't even want to think of what life was like before cell phones

The world has changed since then.

I'm "facebook friends" with people I've grown up with since elementary school. With people I met in college but won't see again. With coworkers from past jobs. Kids these days have friends on facebook that:

A) have moved across the country that they will never see again, or
B) have transferred to a different school.

For friend A, even though they will never see each other again, they'll remember each other. They'll watch each other grow up and see how they develop into young adults. They'll congratulate each other when they marry and have kids because a mutual friend noticed and made a comment on his/her wall, and it happened to pop up on your feed, even though you haven't seen each other in 15 years.

For friend B, even if you're not in the same school any more, maybe the friends would like to catch up once in a while by hanging out at the mall or see a movie together. Or maybe not. Maybe they'll just post on each other's walls once in a while. Maybe they'll eventually remove each other from their friend's list. But all of the possibilities are there, because of Facebook.

This is why facebook is enormously successful. And whether or not you personally agree with that sort of casual relationship is completely irrelevant. People like you may prefer Google+'s private model of "close relationships only" but this type of thing is exactly what will determine its success or failure.

Dice

Korey said:
People like you may prefer Google+'s private model of "close relationships only" but
But the design of Google+ isn't for close relationships only, it is simply designed in a way that your interaction with someone will have more integrity and meaning. You can still keep tabs on each other, you can still send little messages now and then, you can still meet with each other after a couple years apart. You can even do all that with a whole circle of people insofar and as frequently as you wish to with the people from that circle. Google+ simply refines all the worthless junk out of the picture. It makes you act like a person who is interacting with another person when you choose to interact. Do you really have a problem with your words having meaning? With connections... connecting?

kehs

Banned
It's funny, korey's whole tirade hinges on the initial friend request, where as on G+ all that can happen without a friend request.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Korey said:
Your profile is completely static and if someone's looking at it, there's no way for them to interact with you from there. They have to go to the "sharing area", type out a message, and specifically name you as the recipient.

While I don't really see anything wrong with how "private messages" are handled on Google+, I do think there should be a "Share something with this person" link on each user's profile page. It would be exactly the same thing as typing just that person's name in when you share something, only it would automatically add his/her name to the recipients box. It wouldn't change how anything works, it would just make it a bit easier to share something with a single person.

the_log_ride said:
I hope there's an easy way to disassociate them...

You can't disassociate Picasa from Google+, because Picasa = Google+ Photos. They are literally just two different interfaces to access and manage the same data (photos).

felipeko

I am the only one who don't like at all the "Extended Circles" option?

It looks like unnecessary complexity and noise to the stream.

This should not be up to the person who is sharing, i think, because if i don't have the person in my circle is a little obvious that i don't want to receive this person messages.

It should be up to the middleman if he thinks the message is worth spreading or not. And he should be able to pick who to spread to.

kehs

Banned
felipeko said:
I am the only one who don't like at all the "Extended Circles" option?

It looks like unnecessary complexity and noise to the stream.

This should not be up to the person who is sharing, i think, because if i don't have the person in my circle is a little obvious that i don't want to receive this person messages.

It should be up to the middleman if he thinks the message is worth spreading or not. And he should be able to pick who to spread to.

I'm not even sure what extended circles do..

I think the green ones are just visibility, and the blue ones are active sharing. So while your post won't be sent to "extended circles" the people in those circles will be able to see the post if they navigate to your profile directly.

RoadHazard said:
While I don't really see anything wrong with how "private messages" are handled on Google+, I do think there should be a "Share something with this person" link on each user's profile page. It would be exactly the same thing as typing just that person's name in when you share something, only it would automatically add his/her name to the recipients box. It wouldn't change how anything works, it would just make it a bit easier to share something with a single person.

You can't disassociate Picasa from Google+, because Picasa = Google+ Photos. They are literally just two different interfaces to access and manage the same data (photos).

How is it easier to specifically go to the page of each user to share something instead of doing it all from a central hub?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Copernicus said:

If you share something with your "extended circles", it's shared with everyone in your circles plus everyone in their circles (but it stops there).

EDIT: Not necessarily everyone in your circles' circles, it seems. See post below mine.

WickedAngel said:
How is it easier to specifically go to the page of each user to share something instead of doing it all from a central hub?

That's not what I'm saying you should do. I'm saying that if you're already looking at a person's profile page and you decide that you want to share something with just him/her, it would be convenient to have a link to automatically do that.

felipeko

Copernicus said:
You can read more about it here. It doesn't bother me now, as the service has only the people i care the most... But when everybody gets in, it will get ugly very soon.

kehs

Banned
felipeko said:
You can read more about it here. It doesn't bother me now, as the service has only the people i care the most... But when everybody gets in, it will get ugly very soon.

The wording is interesting, because it says "could" and not that it will be shared. I haven't seen any posts from people not in my circles in my stream.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hmm my photos from my phone are automatically uploading onto google+ lol

Was wondering why all these pictures I just took today were on that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Korey said:
I swear to Google, you're using a different G+ than I am. I've met dozens of random people, and have actually had really fun (and sometimes infuriating) conversations with them. Shit is awesome. Certainly better than Facebook in the area of random connections + discoveries.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Corran Horn said:
Hmm my photos from my phone are automatically uploading onto google+ lol

Was wondering why all these pictures I just took today were on that.

Yep, that's Instant Upload. I love it!

Top Bottom