• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

JackEtc

_dementia said:
I use http://gplus.to, but hey, fewer characters is better.
There's a few good sites for it, I just use the one that I got the best name on, haha.

Also, I hope that invites are going to open back up again tonight, like they did the past two nights. They should make it a daily thing. I posted a video of G+ on facebook, and a few people wanted invites, and right when I see they commented, I go and see that the invite button is missing. Now I'm hoping to invite them tonight.

Finally got in!

Although I've never really had issues with Facebook's design, Google+ honestly feels... friendlier to me. I'm also a big nerd about categorization so the layout of Google+ seems to be more me.

Now to comb this thread and add some GAFers! :p

http://gplus.to/gooster

Is there a way to search public posts? Like, if I'm watching a baseball game, I like to have twitter open with one team's hashtag on search so I can see people's reactions to things. It would be cool if they added that and some Trending Topics equivalent.

Xater

Feel free to add me into your circle of choice http://gplus.to/xater

I am really liking this circles idea. NeoGAF circle is the first thing I created.
KuGsj.gif

I went to the Home page and under the Chat I got the little yellow box that linked me to selecting which Circles I want to chat with only. I was curious how to get to those settings for future reference? Sorry if this has been answered. Thanks.

gcubed

Duane Cunningham said:
Is there a way to search public posts? Like, if I'm watching a baseball game, I like to have twitter open with one team's hashtag on search so I can see people's reactions to things. It would be cool if they added that and some Trending Topics equivalent.

the hash tag is one of the big things missing from making this a facebook/twitter combo

Enco

Gooster said:
I went to the Home page and under the Chat I got the little yellow box that linked me to selecting which Circles I want to chat with only. I was curious how to get to those settings for future reference? Sorry if this has been answered. Thanks.
Highlight the chat box and click on the arrow in the top right. Then click circles.

JackEtc

synt4x said:
Edit: Added you too JackEtc!
Yep, added you as well.

I also made a public post saying "Adding some GAFfers, for anyone who's wondering who I am, and why I'm adding them. I'm JackETC on NeoGAF." May be a good idea for all of you to do it too so that we don't end up adding non-NeoGAFfers to our NeoGAF circles :)

Duane Cunningham said:
Yeah, although I'm sure they'll add quicker ways to do it.

https://plus.google.com/104891398344638567748/posts/29sLwGtjRw6

Basically, add this to your search string

Code:
site:plus.google.com inurl:posts/*

-KRS-

JackEtc said:
Yep, added you as well.

I also made a public post saying "Adding some GAFfers, for anyone who's wondering who I am, and why I'm adding them. I'm JackETC on NeoGAF." May be a good idea for all of you to do it too so that we don't end up adding non-NeoGAFfers to our NeoGAF circles :)

That's a good idea :D

eznark

Banned
Duane Cunningham said:
You know what would also be cool, is a way to put RSS feeds into a circle.

I just want a way to share/like stuff from Google Reader. Seems like that should have been a launch feature?

JackEtc

Have we reached a consensus on photo uploading? Better to do it through Google+ or through Picasa?

EDIT: Or Picasa Web?

eznark

Banned
JackEtc said:
Have we reached a consensus on photo uploading? Better to do it through Google+ or through Picasa?

The Picasa app was actually pretty sweet (and fast). Scanned my drives and added them to picasa, then I went through and picked which ones to sync to the web. Right now I'm not sharing many photos but it would be a snap to do so.

JackEtc said:

if you do it through the picasa program interface, you get options for small, medium, recommended, and original size photo uploads.

the first two are tiny, the recommended is only 1600.

so if you upload through there, you'll be doing full (which risks, if over 2048, applying to your 1GB limit of space) or 1600, which means you're missing out on 448pixels per photo that a 2048 photo gives you (which do not count towards your space).

so until that gets changed (i think it will soon to be in line with the new 2048 spec) don't use picasa, even though it's easier.

if you use g+, right now make sure you upload an entire album at the same time.

my current solution? create an album in picasa. export as an html page (xml file, doesnt matter) at full resolution somewhere, so it creates a new folder with a copy of all your photos in the album. then in g+ create a new album and plop all the pics from this new folder there. g+ auto resizes them to 2048, no space taken, then i delete the folder picasa created.

then you can go into picasaweb, which is the only way to current reorganize an album. this too will get fixed in g+ in due time. does this suck? yes. I'd like to be able to just hit 'sync album' in picasa, have it sync at 2048, and bam that shows up in g+ well. any reorg's i do in picasa (or in g+) would get synced between everything all happy like. captions I add in picasa get synced automatically to the web version, which then appear in g+ too. the world would be happy and wonderful.

that is not the world currently. picasa, picasaweb, and g+ have issues. there are a bunch of bugs in the photo aspect of g+ that i've been finding and sending googles way...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
JackEtc said:

That depends. If you want to be able to upload full-res photos (larger than 2048*2048), you have to do it through Picasa(web), since Google+ automatically downsizes all photos larger than that (except in some cases, since there's currently a bug when you add new photos to already existing albums - check earlier in the thread for info on this). Photos larger than 2048*2048 will count toward your free storage, while smaller/downsized ones won't.

Sean

Banned
ep85 said:
Isn't that what sparks are? A dumbed-downed curated rss feed.

It seems like Sparks is a shittier dumbed-down version of Google News with a worse UI. Don't really see the point of it.

They should make Sparks work like Twitter's "saved searches" IMO (where you can see public Google+ posts about that topic).

moggio

Banned
Picasa is soon to be rebranded as 'Google Photos' in an effort from Google to amalgamate their IPs under the Google brand.

-KRS-

_dementia said:
When are they going to integrate Youtube into Google Videos?

Well, they kinda have. Youtube videos show up when you search using Google Video search, along with a ton of other videos from other video sites. So they kinda turned Google Video into a search engine where you find videos from all video sites.

But I know what you mean. Google Video used to be it's own video site, but it's not the focus of it anymore.

The "Send an Email" box on your profile page is kind of spam proof isn't it?

I know an individual could trawl through everyones profiles and individually click on the button, but otherwise it seems like a really good way of contacting someone you've stumbled upon.

panda21

this is freaking me out, I just got in with my account that I only use for gtalk chat with one other person, and never use to email people (don't ask why). But in my suggested friends, there are a bunch of people I know from work, none of whom I have emails from, or have emailed, or have on gmail chat.

how does it know they know me?! i guess it is possible that they have me in some kind of google address book but i'm not sure how, but i certainly don't have them associated with my account in any way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gooster said:
Damn it. This thing tricks me into thinking there are people I haven't put in a Circle yet when I clearly have!

Yeah, sometimes that stuff doesn't really sync correctly between notifications and posts until you refresh the page.

_dementia said:
I think they came back last night. At least for me.

It came back, then it was removed, then it came back again.

Top Bottom