• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

andycapps

gcubed said:
gotta love how they submit an ipad app but arent even supporting their own tablet OS.

It is pretty strange, but I would have to imagine they want to get the vast majority of devices covered ASAP. I'd guess that Honeycomb will be well before WP7.

Pand

Looks like Google further integrated Plus into their search engine, this is what I just got:

plusint3otu.jpg

JackEtc

Hoping they integrate sub-circles soon, or are even considering it. Instead of having a circle for both forums I go to (NeoGAF and one other), I'd like to have an "Internet" circle, with both GAF and the other forum's circles in that circle.

INCEPTION

kehs

Banned
JackEtc said:
Hoping they integrate sub-circles soon, or are even considering it. Instead of having a circle for both forums I go to (NeoGAF and one other), I'd like to have an "Internet" circle, with both GAF and the other forum's circles in that circle.

INCEPTION

So....make another circle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Asking again: What Chrome extension are people using, if any?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ty dooders

Copernicus, that link is gold.

Enco

Spider from Mars said:
Just got in and am having trouble finding out how to write on a friends profile. Anybody know how?
Have a read of the op and the link just posted by Copernicus.

There's no way to do that.

kehs

Banned
Spider from Mars said:
Just got in and am having trouble finding out how to write on a friends profile. Anybody know how?

You don't write on a profile, you send them a post with +YourFriend'sName.

There is no wall.

Kosmo

Banned
JackEtc said:

INCEPTION

People can be in more than one circle.

Eversynth

Posted this on g+, didn't get much feedback:

A couple of things that I think G+ needs (if point 1 is already implemented and I am not seeing it please let me know):

1-Excluding circles. Example: I have circle1 and circle2 , and some people of circle2 are also in circle1. What if I want to post something for circle1 to see and comment on, but exclude circle2 and all the people that belong to it?

2-Add an "interests" field in the profile. The words typed in there would be indexed as tags, and automatically translated, so if I want to group people in my circles I can do a search for ie "rock climbing", create a rock climbing circle and add to it all the people in my circles that share the same interest.

kehs

Banned
Eversynth said:
Posted this on g+, didn't get much feedback:

A couple of things that I think G+ needs (if point 1 is already implemented and I am not seeing it please let me know):

1-Excluding circles. Example: I have circle1 and circle2 , and some people of circle2 are also in circle1. What if I want to post something for circle1 to see and comment on, but exclude circle2 and all the people that belong to it?

They've mentioned they initially wanted to include boolean controls for circles, but figured people would flip their wig trying to figure out the outcome. It's something they are apparently looking at.

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:
I personally don't use any extensions, but there's a growing list at the end of the user created G+ guide:

This doc is read-only because there are too many people editing right now. Try again

I hope just not anyone can go in a edit all willy-nilly.

Edit

Note: If you’re not here to edit (and your url ends with /edit), please allow more editors in by using the preview only url:

Missed it on the first page! Hah.
Awesome.

Edit2:

I have to say that the Redditers in my incoming stream have been posting some pretty funny and interesting stuff.

%252BHAL9000.jpg

I'm sure I have quite a few in my NeoGaf circle, but it's hard to tell at this point.

Edit3:

Like this guy:

Special Scaleable Profile Template +1 With Instructions

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
There's something else I'm wondering is possible:

I know there's youtube integration in a hangout, but what about Google Chrome integration? Would it be possible to include a browser tab (like the youtube tab) and that way people in the hangout could talk and discuss whatever they are looking at in the browser?

S. L.

Ketchup Boy said:
Looks very interesting, but sadly, I'm done with any social networking. I'd rather be anonymous online.
i know you! you are the guy that liked to get gaf help for your math homework

mollipen

Pand said:
Looks like Google further integrated Plus into their search engine, this is what I just got:

There's a guide out there on how you can help to get this going for your own content, but I haven't sat down to read through it yet. Part of me is excited by the idea, another part is screaming that I'd have to be stupid to want that. *heh*

Jzero

So many people adding me that i don't even know if they're from GAF anymore, i just put them in the NeoGAF circle just in case though.

SimleuqiR

Has this been posted?

Google+ and Gmail intergration

I'm Mark Striebeck - Engineering Manager for Gmail frontend. As you can imagine, we are working on several Gmail / Google+ integrations. But similar to some of my Google colleagues, I want to use the creativity and momentum here for some larger brainstorming in a Hangout on Tuesday, July 12 at 3pm (PDT).

Really loving the G+ philosophy especially if you have an Android phone: Upload everything, share nothing mentality. I think it's a serious philosophical improvement to Facebooks "share everything" philosophy.

Copernicus said:
I'm still trying to see the benefit of integrating gmail into plus. On the flip side I can see the value of integrating circles from G+ into gmail though.

I think what people really want is proper connectivity between Gmail - Contacts - G+.

Even if it is something as simple as being able to do a quick reply from Plus and receiving email notifications in plus, it would be awesome. Sucks I have to have two tabs open, one for gmail and one for plus (not that its a huge deal).

tycoonheart said:
Even if it is something as simple as being able to do a quick reply from Plus and receiving email notifications in plus, it would be awesome. Sucks I have to have two tabs open, one for gmail and one for plus (not that its a huge deal).

Yeah, I'd like to see Reader replace Sparks and integrate emails from people in my circles into the relevant Stream. At the very least, notifications within G+ would be great.

So if someone adds me to their circle but I don't add them what information actually gets exchanged? Can they see my posts or can I see theirs? What if I don't want to see their posts or I don't want to be in their circle?

SimleuqiR

Misanthropy said:
So if someone adds me to their circle but I don't add them what information actually gets exchanged? Can they see my posts or can I see theirs? What if I don't want to see their posts or I don't want to be in their circle?

Only your "Public" post will be visible to people that are following you.

kehs

Banned
Misanthropy said:
They can only see your public posts. Likewise you can see their public posts plus whatever posts they push to the circle they added you to.

Those circle posts will show up in your incoming stream.

Crazyorloco

seems like whoever I invite gets in now. The floodgates are almost fully opened I think.

Quick question: can people who are on huddle (android app/ mobile web/iOS app) and people on hangouts (computer only) communicate with each other? I hope so!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So what is the general consensus around here for Google+? Is it worth using?

I'll probably get one simply because I like the look a hell of a lot better than Facebook. I'm wondering if this will be the next big thing everyone is going to flock to.

I wouldn't mind an invite if anyone has one

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Tomat said:

I'll probably get one simply because I like the look a hell of a lot better than Facebook. I'm wondering if this will be the next big thing everyone is going to flock to.

PM me you email

Terrell

Tomat said:

The general consensus seems to be that it's got a better UI and a stronger foundation than Facebook, and despite currently missing features that can be found in Facebook, it is the more ideal platform.
People who have been completely indoctrinated into the ways of Facebook have trouble adjusting to Circles and the concept that all of your posts, private and public, are consolidated in your own profile instead of being spread out on other people's Walls like on FB.
And lastly, because the platform is still growing, most people you might have on FB aren't on G+, which leads people to using it more for its Twitter-like functions (e.g. being able to add someone to a circle to follow them without the need for reciprocation) than as a FB replacement, leading to the misconception that it can't or isn't competing with FB. When people see more of their real-life friends in G+, this misconception will fade.

Top Bottom